I like Midichlorians

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Hoplon:

Woodsey:
OT: I've never had a problem with it. They're described as an indicator of force potential, the force is still a separate, magical entity. I think it ties in with the fantasy-in-space style quite nicely.

But that's the point, Star Wars never wasted our time with explaining how anything got done, when you live with things everyday you don't then waste time explaining them to other people that live with them all the time. Keeping it inexplicable lets you fill in the details your self to your own satisfaction.

Um, does Anakin even know what a Jedi is when they explain midichlorians to him? Because he sure as shit doesn't know what they are.

I agree with the OP, Midichlorians take away one of the few stupid things about the original trilogy i.e. why would the force be strong in a particular family? Is this mystical, all-powerful force nepotistic? No, force sensitivity has a biological component inherited genetically. Simple. It makes more sense than the force just having a boner for the Skywalker family.

But that is the thing isn't it. Despite having Midichlorians, they still had to train. Anakin wasn't just able to use the force because he had a high count. It required years of training to be able to harness it. Most children had to be taken from their parents at or near birth to even have a CHANCE to become Jedi. Those who weren't. Were not just throwing things, or pulling things around.

As a counter to the arguments that Jedi are not warrior monks anymore. Not every person is born able to be a true religious person, to swear off sex, drugs, wordly desires, and even if you are it takes years to get into it. Luke as well took three movies just to be able to use concentrated force powers and even then wasn't very proficient at them due to his lack of training or practice. Sure he could concentrate and be more focused in A New Hope. And he could reach out to others in The Empire Strikes Back. But until he trained he wasn't really a jedi. He was a kid with a lightsaber.

randomrob:
I agree with the OP, Midichlorians take away one of the few stupid things about the original trilogy i.e. why would the force be strong in a particular family? Is this mystical, all-powerful force nepotistic?

No, it's mystical all-powerful force. Have you no touch with other media that uses a similar thing? Namely, magic? In Harry Potter, you have wizard families - just bunch of people being able to do break reality and that's a family trait. Occasionally, a person of a magical heritage cannot actually do magic, and occasionally, a person from a normal family can. It. Is. Just. Magic. It sets up the rules, it also breaks them when it feels convenient. That's what it does. Seriously, it sounds like you've never heard of the concept before when it's been around for a while and in no way, shape, or form does Star Wars make anything weird or bizarre - it's playing by the tropes that we know and already accept. Trying to explain it after you've set it up is not only strange, it's ineffective as it inevitably leads to more questions you never needed to answer.

I'm not adverse to giving a Science Fictiony explanations for fantasy concepts.
I'm a Warhammer 40K fan, that kind of shit is my bread and butter.

The problem with Midichlorians is that they aren't a valid explanation for anything and they raise more questions than they answer.

In the OT The Force was essentially Space Chi.
Yeah obviously there was a genetic element to sensitivity but that's fine. If so inclined one could probably locate "The Force Genome" and replicate/activate it if they wanted to (don't look now but I think I just pitched a better Clone Wars concept than AotC)

The point is that some folks were born more sensitive than others and that's enough to explain how and why they are able to do what they do. Everything beyond that it a matter of a lifetime of discipline, training, meditation and study.
It's no different than the Magi or Wizards found in any other fantasy story.

With the introduction of Midichlorians...Why is anyone "too old to begin the training?" If Force sensitivity is determined by the number of micro organisms in your blood then what's to stop the Jedi from transplanting blood into anyone at any time to increase their sensitivity?
If that's too ghoulish for the Jedi it's certainly not beyond the Sith. Any one of the Sith Lords prior to this should have been kidnapping Jedi and transplanting Midichlorians centuries ago.

But okay I'll even give you that added sensitivity doesn't automatically give you the training needed so here's this instead.

There's a "blink and you'll miss it" line in Revenge of the Sith (I think could have been AotC) where Yoda and Mace Windu are talking about how the Jedi are losing their powers.

Why? Did their blood parasites get sick? Did they contract some sort of blood bourne pathogen that's slowly killing the sea monkeys living in their blood?

Lastly there's Anakin's immaculate conception.
In a universe where The Force is a magical energy flowing through all the flowers and birds and bees and rocks and trees I can buy into a twisted sorcerer manipulating this life energy to produce an alchemical abomination.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure you can take all the magical blood worms in the world and smoosh them into the shape of a human and I'd bet my left foot it wouldn't congeal into an actual human being.

I find the addition of Midichlorians remarkably stupid. A statistical measure of capacity-for-heroism.

It'd be like we were watching Lord of the Rings, and the Witch King is about to gobble up the King of Rohan when Eowyn charges into the fight.

Witch King: You fool! No man can kill me! Die now!
Eowyn: I am no man! I am a 14HD Fighter, with Chain, +2, a Helm of All-Seeing, and a Vorpal Longsword, +5! With my THAC0 of 7, and your AC of 1 because of your Full Plate, +1, I know I only need to roll an 8 on a d20, and with the +5 to-hit from my vorpal longsword, I only need to roll a 3. In other words, you have, at best, a 50% chance of survival on my next roll. And besides, if you survive the first attack I get 4 attacks before you recover from that backstabbing halfling who rolled a natural 20 last round.

I consider Star Wars to be more fantasy than science fiction. I don't care for reasons. I'm okay with space magic. Stop trying to explain away everything and take away the awe.

DoPo:
Have you no touch with other media that uses a similar thing? Namely, magic? In Harry Potter, you have wizard families - just bunch of people being able to do break reality and that's a family trait. Occasionally, a person of a magical heritage cannot actually do magic, and occasionally, a person from a normal family can.

Which again, would make sense if magical ability (or the potential for it) is inherited genetically, occasionally the trait arises in muggle families, or disappears in wizarding ones. It's never stated outright that it's genetic, but one of the major plot points in Harry Potter is that some of those with the wizarding "gene" or all wizard inheritance wanting to eliminate or enslave everyone who doesn't.

It. Is. Just. Magic. It sets up the rules, it also breaks them when it feels convenient. That's what it does. Seriously, it sounds like you've never heard of the concept before when it's been around for a while and in no way, shape, or form does Star Wars make anything weird or bizarre - it's playing by the tropes that we know and already accept. Trying to explain it after you've set it up is not only strange, it's ineffective as it inevitably leads to more questions you never needed to answer.

It. Is. Not. Just. Magic. The Force is entirely natural, it was always stated to be an energy field created by living things, not some mystical magic power. It resembles magic, but done in a sci-fi setting. They could have just called it magic and left it at that? Would you have preferred that? Would it have given you more "awe" at the movies? Midichlorians are harmless unnecessary exposition at worst, and something that makes the Force seem less stupid at best.

I don't really like this midichlorians thing, really why do psychic powers need an explanation? The force is telekinesis, telepathy and other fun mental powers. End of story.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked