Comic book nerds and racism - Michael B Jordan rumoured to play Human Torch in new Fantastic Four

First it was the rumours that Donald Glover might play the rebooted Peter Parker that sparked a shitstorm, "Peter Parker's white it would ruin the lore" and other similar trite.
Then it was Heimdall from Thor being played by Edris Elba "Mythical gods aren't black" It got to a point where MovieBob put his hat in.
And now, the latest rumour in the comic book movie mill is that Michael B Jordan, or the black one from Chronicle, is being sought out to play Johnny Storm, a predominantly white character. And the internet is at it again, where we now have a handy guide from Cracked to the most insulting of these defences of racial purity in our fictional characters.

Seriously, if you're in the "he shouldn't be black for whatever reason" camp, and are thinking of posting, read the Cracked article first.
No, really, read it.
Read it now. And the MovieBob video while you're at it, and then come back here, and think of an actual good reason why it's a terrible idea that black guys are playing what have been white characters since the times where having black main characters was literary taboo.

thaluikhain:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.407821-So-a-black-actor-is-considering-role-of-Johnny-Storm-and-nerdrage-has-turned-racist-again

You've been beaten to the post on this it seems.

Dammit!

Sepko:
[snip]...and then come back here, and think of an actual good reason why it's a terrible idea that black guys are playing what have been white characters since the times where having black main characters was literary taboo.

People would like the characters they love to aper on screen as they do in the comics. This is of course an excuse often hijacked by the more racist comic book nerds, but some people really do not want any change what so ever. Be it costume, hair colour or ,as in this case, race.

And while I do not care in this case, I have to admit that I would be pretty annoyed if Dr Manhattan where to be made green in a reboot of watchmen.

Tombsite:

Sepko:
[snip]...and then come back here, and think of an actual good reason why it's a terrible idea that black guys are playing what have been white characters since the times where having black main characters was literary taboo.

People would like the characters they love to aper on screen as they do in the comics. This is of course an excuse often hijacked by the more racist comic book nerds, but some people really do not want any change what so ever. Be it costume, hair colour or ,as in this case, race.

And while I do not care in this case, I have to admit that I would be pretty annoyed if Dr Manhattan where to be made green in a reboot of watchmen.

Those kinds of "never stray from the source material" types are pretty few and far between, really. You won't really hear much of an uproar from the fact that Lois Lane's a redhead in Man of Steel, it only gets to the point where someone's skin colour has changed that everyone's up in arms.

Sepko:
[quote="Tombsite" post="18.407826.17023702"]
Those kinds of "never stray from the source material" types are pretty few and far between, really. You won't really hear much of an uproar from the fact that Lois Lane's a redhead in Man of Steel, it only gets to the point where someone's skin colour has changed that everyone's up in arms.

Well you did ask for agood reason not to have black people play traditionally white heroes. I simply provided one. Not going to try and defend all the racist people out there, just pointing out that there are some how are against it for other reasons than racism.

And as irrationally as it is, I would really have a hard time picturing a black superman. And I am pretty sure I am not a racist.

The article you linked is pretty crappy, this wasn't a call byt the comic industry and i believe its the main reason why nerds rages, because it's hollywood and not the comic indusry who's changing the character.

I already saw the movie bob one and meh, I just don't agree, i couldn't care less for the fantastic 4 reboot cause, i don't even like the marvel comics universe enough to even lend the comics and read them, but i hated jessica's alba being choose to be sue.

Micheal B Jordan might be the gratest actor ever known by human race, or not (truth been told i don't even know who he is sorry.) and i don't really think choosing him to be johnny storm has to do anything with talent or whatever you want to point out, it's just hollywood saying:

"uhmmm we need to get nerd plubicity somewhere to hype the fantastic 4 movie .. ahh lets play the race card"

And guess what it's working, like i said before I don't give a crap about the fantastic 4 so whatever happens i wont go to the movies to see it, so I don't care.

Eh, I can't say I'm bothered really. He was kinda good in Chronicle, could be good in the part. The only race thing that I didn't really like was the Peter Parker one (and I guess that Idris Elba as Bond thing didn't make sense, but that seemed farther from fruition).

I guess technically there's no real reason why a lot of characters couldn't have their race around, but I would say that characters like Spiderman or Superman are too iconic to really fuck with that much, but the Human torch doesn't really fit into that category to the wider public.

I'm of the opinion that if the character is written as a white male, he should be played by such.

The TV series Elementary, Watson is played by an Asian woman ... I've got nothing against Lucy Liu but why cast a an Asian woman to play a white male?

I'm not going to get all up in arms about anything but if the writer wanted it that way why change it?

Though to be honest I do want to see more Asians, black, mixed, puerto rican, Mexican etc in cinema and TV. Makes me think 90% of human race is white, it's weird.

omega 616:
I'm of the opinion that if the character is written as a white male, he should be played by such.

The TV series Elementary, Watson is played by an Asian woman ... I've got nothing against Lucy Liu but why cast a an Asian woman to play a white male?

I'm not going to get all up in arms about anything but if the writer wanted it that way why change it?

Though to be honest I do want to see more Asians, black, mixed, puerto rican, Mexican etc in cinema and TV. Makes me think 90% of human race is white, it's weird.

The thing with most white characters is that they're not defined by their race, so they can potentially be interchangeable if the writers wanted it. Johnny Storm has approximately zero personality traits that wouldn't make sense if he was a black guy. Same with Watson, based on the time period and setting the writers decided to try out an Asian woman to play the part, and for the most part I think it worked out.
Another thing to consider is that pretty much all of the classic comic book characters were conceived in a time where having a black character that wasn't a bad guy was one of the worst business decisions you could do. These days you can get away with a bit more.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked