Defining Misogynism

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Title is pretty much this video in a nutshell.

While he has some interesting points about the princessization (if thats a thing) of women in todays society its hard to look past his obviously old style and overly conservative values towards women.

If anything it was an interesting watch.

Do you agree or disagree with this guy? Thoughts in general?

I'll post actual thoughts on the video itself if/when I watch it, but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Edit: Ok I got to 1:06 before laughing my ass off, don't think I'm gonna bother lol.

bananafishtoday:
I'll post actual thoughts on the video itself if/when I watch it, but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Edit: Ok I got to 1:06 before laughing my ass off, don't think I'm gonna bother lol.

I made it to 1:34. Just another idiot with a Webcam and too much free time. Points for flamboyancy though.

bananafishtoday:
...but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Oh, ain't that the truth.

I got to 6:04. All hail.

Women must be a lot different where he comes from.

I'm really not pulling a tl;dr here. Youtube is having one of those slow days, and as much as I'd watch the video, 240p on youtube right now is taking forever to even load.

Can I have more of a summary of what this guy has said? It sounds like you're just bringing attention to another random misogynist on the internet like in the RamZPaul guy a made a thread about and subsequently got warned for.

If anything women are treated far less as "princesses" than in earlier years. Chivalrous thought is on the decline. And women are treated far less as these dainty little flowers. This sort of claim is usually used by people who wish to dismiss the problems of rape and male on female violence in society.

bananafishtoday:

I read some of the comments while the video was buffering and now I'm reallllllly not sure I want to watch that video. At all.

EstrogenicMuscle:
I'm really not pulling a tl;dr here. Youtube is having one of those slow days, and as much as I'd watch the video, 240p on youtube right now is taking forever to even load.

Can I have more of a summary of what this guy has said? It sounds like you're just bringing attention to another random misogynist on the internet like in the RamZPaul guy a made a thread about and subsequently got warned for.

If anything women are treated far less as "princesses" than in earlier years. Chivalrous thought is on the decline. And women are treated far less as these dainty little flowers. This sort of claim is usually used by people who wish to dismiss the problems of rape and male on female violence in society.

My experience went like...

"Misogyny is men hating women as much as women hate each other so don't feel bad bros, like only 15% of my viewers are women but those are the good women, most women suuuuuck, like I know this one woman who's pretty cool she makes video games, oh btw it's bullshit how now that Comicon is super popular all fake nerd girls are infiltrating a sacred Male Space and--" bahahaha I can't listen to this shit anymore.

Srsly this guy should run for president of Reddit or something.

Instead of that, I recommend this 40-second video to get the basic gist: http://vimeo.com/64941331

Chemical Alia:

bananafishtoday:

I read some of the comments while the video was buffering and now I'm reallllllly not sure I want to watch that video. At all.

ABORT MISSION ABORT MISSION.

He keeps talking about women as if they are some kind of collective where they all have uniformed opinions and ideas it is really brutal. I am sure he is making a point with some women but I mean some guys are the same way it is more of a people issue than a gender issue.

Edit: yaaaa it gets crazier as it goes I don't even think he is making any points he is just be really brutally sexist.

Edit2: I was watching a few related videos out of curiosity and I thought this video hit some interesting points.

Zhukov:

bananafishtoday:
...but I can already tell from the preview image that this guy is a colossal douchebro.

Oh, ain't that the truth.

I got to 6:04. All hail.

Women must be a lot different where he comes from.

Eh, 2:16. I mean, I would have let him ramble on but I'm just about to go to bed - I cannot waste 10+ more minutes on that. So victory is yours. Also, yes, women really must be different where he comes from - they've apparently gone "completely feral and out of control" (some of his last words).

I think it's appropriate to post this video once again

Chemical Alia:

bananafishtoday:

Don't. Watch the above instead. Heck, just watch 15 minutes of SMBC Threater. SMBC's humour is probably hit and miss for more people but I still think you can pick random videos and I think you'll get more substance than the video in the OP.

As soon as it started I thought he'd probably end up being a cunt.
2 minutes in, what a surprise.

The preview image makes him look like a douche... I expect he smells like Axe.

You know... not gonna watch this one. Seems everyone else can't get a minute or two into it without it being pretty obvious he is full of shit. Guess base assumption was right on this one.

As for what misogyny is... isn't it guys hating women and thinking themselves superior or them inferior or something to that effect? General old conservatism about women and the like? Thought the dictionary had this one relatively down pat already, why the thread?

Saviordd1:
--snip--

C'mon man, if you want to define misogyny just watch how I treat women and describe that.

bananafishtoday:

You think Reddit is the pinnacle of internet misogyny.

How quaint.

...unless you want your illusions shattered, never go onto 4chan.

aba1:
Edit2: I was watching a few related videos out of curiosity and I thought this video hit some interesting points.

You can only call Warren Farrell 'related' to trash like this in the loosest sense, that they both deal with sort of the same subject matter. He's a real academic who does actual research, has a history of organizational involvement, and a number of books in print. It's like the difference between a post on Jezebel and a paper by Kristeva.

OP: If you can't tell, I don't think much of that video.

Misogyny (pron.: /mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls.

You don't need to go past 15 seconds

Well, that was fun, it's always nice to see someone make an ass of himself, and he does it in such an eloquent way and with such flamboyancy, that it's just a joy to behold.

I think I want to watch more of his videos now, this could turn out to be great entertainment.

I got to 31 seconds, the moment where he said "a few women in each generation have that creative spark in them" before seeing where it was likely going to go and giving up. I mean honestly, starting with crap like that is never going to get you taken seriously.

He may as well have posted a video called "I'm not a misogynist, but..."

He also looks a little like Kane from Command and Conquer...

scarfacetehstag:

Agreed.

The only trouble I find is when people use misogyny and sexism as interchangeable words. While all sexism is bad, not all sexism is misogyny, but some people either cannot tell the difference, or pretend that there is none.

It's always impressive when someone manages to be both racist and sexist in the same video.

Froggy Slayer:

bananafishtoday:

You think Reddit is the pinnacle of internet misogyny.

How quaint.

...unless you want your illusions shattered, never go onto 4chan.

4chan and Reddit are both about the same.

Most /b/tards are more upfront about it, while most Redditors[1] are more faux-intellectual about it.

[1] And a lot of people on this site too

I am amazed at some of the reactions to this video. Talking about making it "only" a few minutes in? After 30 seconds you get the "a rare few women don't suck and they're my viewers" line and that's when you can tell he's a moron. You guys are way more patient than I am, clearly.

The most tragic and hilarious thing about douchebags like this is that they will never be fully aware of just how much of a douchebag they are.

His performance is fascinating, but the shelf behind him is even more so. Does he really think that owning a human skull makes him more sophisticated? Is that a stuffed possum? Did he buy that specific copy of Gonzo because it has the title in really big letters on the spine so it would be visible when seen from mid-distance by a webcam? Fascinating...

Listen, I know you guys aren't making it more than 30 seconds in, but stick with it and you will find more nuggets of comedy gold than your body can take.

"It's not that I don't know how to approach women or talk to them. It's not a hypothesis either. This is fact. The more experience you have, the more you see it. This is an absolute factor in our modern degeneration, that women have turned into the most selfish, solipsistic, vain and cruel creatures the planet has ever seen."

boots:
Listen, I know you guys aren't making it more than 30 seconds in, but stick with it and you will find more nuggets of comedy gold than your body can take.

"It's not that I don't know how to approach women or talk to them. It's not a hypothesis either. This is fact. The more experience you have, the more you see it. This is an absolute factor in our modern degeneration, that women have turned into the most selfish, solipsistic, vain and cruel creatures the planet has ever seen."

I love one of the comments/replies:

and here i was thinking it was me. 22 year old us marine wrapping up a degree in polyphil, aspiring author, no kids ,30G's a year. paid vacation and benefits out the ass......females won't touch that with a ten foot pole due to not tolerating their shit. ironic.

His reply -

Any sane woman should be trying to snap you up, now - instead, best you'll find is a crazy girl trying to have an oops baby.

Habanero sauce in the used condoms, my friend.

Or another quote of his (right before yours):

Modern Women are completely out of control. They have gone completely feral, and their behaviour is completely unacceptable in a civilized society.

Also, I love the "smoking indoors, but drinking water" look. I don't even think he's really smoking....

My douchemeter is off the chart

Also again, I know I'm really just piling on this guy, but he's talking about how great of an author he is. *rolls eyes*

Again again, he's talking about how "doe parties" are an abomination, and against the lord.

"Men have bachelor parties. Women have baby showers. Deal with it"

Lionsfan:
30G's a year. paid vacation and benefits out the ass...

Girls aren't going for a dude who assumes that all women are gold diggers and thinks that his salary is the most attractive thing about him? Shocking.

i just couldn't listen to what he was saying because he looks so much like a villain from one of those old "secret agent" movies. the fact he was talking utter nonsense didn't help either.

scarfacetehstag:

doesnt misogyny go even so far to hate feminine traits in men aswell?

Shouldn't this guy be busy leading NOD against the forces of GDI?

boots:

His performance is fascinating, but the shelf behind him is even more so. Does he really think that owning a human skull makes him more sophisticated? Is that a stuffed possum?

Looks like a fake skull, there doesn't appear to be a separation of the zygomatic process, maxilla looks odd, and the jaw is misshapen.
Also the possum looks like a plushy, possum ears aren't covered in fur and the head looks way too big.

This is a great example of misogyny, yes.

That man is an excellent example of how you can sound calm and intellectual, and still be just as much of a raving misogynist as the angry, shouty types.

I finished it.

This, combined with the iTunes reviews of the Savages' free single last week put me about in the mood to chainsaw puppies to death with a haddock.

Heh... What a twit. When you start ascribing qualities like "the creative spark" (powers help us) to people just for having the awesome insight to agree with you...

Yeah, couldn't make it through. I don't have so many brain cells to spare that I can fill them with fifteen-minute diatribes from this brand of cretin.

That said, one thought that occurred to me recently:

"Misogyny" is a word that gets thrown around way too easily these days. It occurred to me that at one point within my lifetime, one was more likely to hear the word "chauvinism" or "male chauvinism".

From Merriam Webster:

Misogyny:
Greek misogynia, from misein to hate + gynē woman

Chauvinism
2 : undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged
3 : an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex; also : behavior expressive of such an attitude

There are some who almost reflexively jump to "misogyny" to describe anything from setting women on fire for immodest dress to putting a female character into a video game who exists largely for the purpose of being eye candy. (Please note I am not ascribing such behavior to women or feminists as some kind of homogeneous collective, as I am not the kind of douchebag responsible for the video offered by the OP.)

It seems like misogyny ought to be a tougher row to hoe than that, so to speak. Hating women? Really? It may be that the person showing a particular behavior isn't especially enlightened; it may be that their behavior seems hateful to a particular woman or group of women. But "misogyny" implies an attitude in which some kind of destruction or subjugation of females isn't a hypothetical byproduct of behavior, but a goal.

Maybe "chauvinism" needs to make a comeback. There needs to be a way to describe actions that feminists (of either gender) would like to discourage without immediately going all the way to a descriptior that seems both so extreme and so reflexive that it makes many people want to tune it out.

Why do we need this argument fuel on the Escapist?

I really like what's on his shelves. He was also a pretty good speaker, no stammering or hesitations.

He says women are bad these days. If you look back to around the eighteenth century you will see how poorly women were treated, and realise some women are bad today but "BY GOD" what we have now is better than what it was.

What this guy says is true for a lot of women, a lot of the girls in my high school were like that, but those women are just the scummy ones. There is an equal amount of men who are completely horrendous. Worse even because there are far more men in prison than women, also men don't have to put up with a lot of the stuff women do like periods and child birth.

He's obviously approaching terrible women, there are lovely women out there who are just nice people. Women are just as diverse as men are and its unfair to clump them all together and call them all terrible. However what he highlights is a real kind of woman. It's just that the men they attract happen to be massive piles of shit as well. I say leave the shit to the shit and make sure your find a a man or a woman who is right for you.

Callate:
But "misogyny" implies an attitude in which some kind of destruction or subjugation of females isn't a hypothetical byproduct of behavior, but a goal.

No, it doesn't. Misogyny covers the superiority and the non-intentional sexism too. The men who use women like objects that exist only to serve them are misogynist not because they angrily hate the women they're using, but because they have contempt (which is a form of hatred) for the idea of women as their equal, or as fully realised human beings. The man who hates the idea that women might invade his "sacred male space" or expresses contempt at the idea that a woman might be his equal (or anything more than a sex object), is a misogynist.

Pretty spot on about video games. I'm tired of hearing about sexism in video games. It's no worse in that media than any other, sexist idiots in online games notwithstanding. It doesn't need to change until there is a market reason to do so, being that people stop buying the games. That's all.

The rest of his points are just brainless over generalization for the most part.

Jenvas1306:

scarfacetehstag:

doesnt misogyny go even so far to hate feminine traits in men aswell?

Nope, just the hatred of women.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

Some people like to apply it to "anything that happens to offend me today" though. You can notice a few people in this thread calling him misogynistic when he doesn't really seem to be, he is more chauvinistic and bigoted, as he is a douche but does not appear to hate women.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here