Defining Misogynism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

boots:

magicmonkeybars:
I agree with this guy completely.

No seriously, I mean it, this guy is on the ball.

I watched the whole thing and I see the truth of it.
We've given too much ground to this absurd idea that traditional roles are outdated and misogynistic.

But it doesn't matter, this ball is rolling and it won't stop, it will just speed up as more and more men are driven into subservient roles until a woman needs to do the work and that's where the buck stops.

When society runs out of men to sacrifice this whole house of feminist cards will fall and western society will be picked off by foreign cultures.

Enjoy the acid in your daughters faces because that is the world feminism creates, Sharia law for everyone.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and applaud you for the great satire.

I'd have liked to think so, but...

OhJohnNo:

Maybe he's just really in character. Like a method actor. Except in this case he's a method poster. Is that a thing?

Either that or he is actually Beardy McArmchair himself.

boots:

magicmonkeybars:

We've given too much ground to this absurd idea that traditional roles are outdated and misogynistic.

But it doesn't matter, this ball is rolling and it won't stop, it will just speed up as more and more men are driven into subservient roles until a woman needs to do the work and that's where the buck stops.

When society runs out of men to sacrifice this whole house of feminist cards will fall and western society will be picked off by foreign cultures.

Enjoy the acid in your daughters faces because that is the world feminism creates, Sharia law for everyone.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and applaud you for the great satire.

Thank you, it's been a pleasure to entertain you. :D

boots:

OhJohnNo:

Maybe he's just really in character. Like a method actor. Except in this case he's a method poster. Is that a thing?

Either that or he is actually Beardy McArmchair himself.

Just a little foresight and careful planning I fear.
Too easy really.

The preview image alone makes me want to punch him in the face.
I got 1 minute in and can't be fucked watching anymore. Maybe he has something amazing and insightful to say at some point but there no way in hell I'm watching 15 minutes of that crap to find out.
Why are there so many thread like this on this site? Do you guys intentionally go trying to find the worst You-Tubers and bloggers?

Froggy Slayer:

bananafishtoday:

Srsly this guy should run for president of Reddit or something.

You think Reddit is the pinnacle of internet misogyny.

How quaint.

...unless you want your illusions shattered, never go onto 4chan.

Not that I'm saying it absolves them of anything (god no), but...

The difference between /b/tards and Redditors is that /b/tards actually know they're assholes.

magicmonkeybars:

Octorok:
Hahahaha. Hahahahahahhahaha. Oh my.

Wow.

I didn't even know people like this existed , much less produced Youtube videos. What gets me isn't the awful content, but the pathetic presentation.

There he is, in his chair, dispensing his words of wisdom while smoking and impersonating Russ Pitts/Kane. It's like he's not in on his own joke, and that joke is that he's trying so hard, yet missing so much. He's so high on his own fuckwittery he apparently has no sense of self-awareness.

I am actually a little amazed that anyone could possibly have this combination of traits, this monstrous egomania and not have been beaten to death yet.

Still, watch the entire video, it's good for a laugh. And, as has been noted, his performance/content is fascinating in its own way. The way people are interested in the motives of serial killers, I am intrigued by this man. I am forced to wonder - why is he? And how did he come to be so?

Also, the comments are a (depressing) goldmine.

Is he even really smoking though? I mean his inhales are really tiny, and I don't see any smoke leaving his lungs either.

That, and the "sipping" on water just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh

bananafishtoday:

Not that I'm saying it absolves them of anything (god no), but...

The difference between /b/tards and Redditors is that /b/tards actually know they're assholes.

Hey, I'm a /b/tard myself and I'm only horrible to women on Tuesdays and Fridays.

And on Hannukah.

So I just finished watching the whole thing.

All you females out there. If you don't settle down, and have babies in your 20's, and only with white boys, then you're betraying the future, and your country!

Make the right choice

Why do I get the feeling this guy has never gotten laid before?

How much of a cunt is that guy?
I don't know, I stopped at 15 seconds

Where did you dig this up OP?

Lionsfan:
Is he even really smoking though? I mean his inhales are really tiny, and I don't see any smoke leaving his lungs either.

That, and the "sipping" on water just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh

I don't think he was smoking. I don't (although I've watched my sister do it a thousand times) and this was the only thing I could concentrate on. I found his fake flicks of the cigarette to be more amusing than whatever the hell was coming out of his mouth.

I think it's hilarious that he's taking himself seriously, and the fake smoking was great as well. Also, he has a human skull in the background. Which I think is perfect.

While I can see the stuff he is talking about in a significant amount of girls in their teens and early twenties, its a fucking huge stretch to apply this to anyone near a majority of women. But at the same time I can say the same thing about men who are just utter asswipes to women. It goes both ways.

First I had to check if this thread was by Jim Sterling or not...then I remembered it isn't Tuesday (or Monday for Americans).

I'm not even going to check that video, but by the comments I think it's safe to say that he's just some pseudo intellectual with no sense of tact. To think these kinda of threads died down for a little while, it was starting to get nice and relaxed again.

Is this guy bitter? Definitely. Is this guy generalizing? Oh yeah. Is this guy completely wrong? Unfortunately not. It's an ugly thought and it's uncomfortable to admit, but sadly a lot of whet he says is absolutely prevalent, though maybe not always true.

And while I don't agree that videogames should be a boys club or a male space, after going through high school during a time where you pretty much had to hide that you played videogames because most girls would put you on their blacklist for it, yeah I guess now it seems a little bit insulting that they come in making demands and expecting game devs to cater to them. There's already incentive to market to you. If a game markets to you you'll buy it, if it doesn't you won't. Condemning its existence and getting pissed that it isn't for you operates on the premise that everything should be for you.

Guitarmasterx7:
Is this guy bitter? Definitely. Is this guy generalizing? Oh yeah. Is this guy completely wrong? Unfortunately not. It's an ugly thought and it's uncomfortable to admit, but sadly a lot of whet he says is absolutely prevalent, though maybe not always true.

And while I don't agree that videogames should be a boys club or a male space, after going through high school during a time where you pretty much had to hide that you played videogames because most girls would put you on their blacklist for it, yeah I guess now it seems a little bit insulting that they come in making demands and expecting game devs to cater to them. There's already incentive to market to you. If a game markets to you you'll buy it, if it doesn't you won't. Condemning its existence and getting pissed that it isn't for you operates on the premise that everything should be for you.

Do you have any evidence that the sort of stuff he talks about is more prevalent now, than it has been in the past?

As far as the game aspect, what do you mean "expecting game devs to cater to them"? Again, do you have any evidence?

I did it. I watched it. All of it.

Can you please help me. I think i lost a part of my brain somewhere... can't find it...

Evil Smurf:
How much of a cunt is that guy?
I don't know, I stopped at 15 seconds

Where did you dig this up OP?

I subscribed to him after seeing his Bioshock review through another little known youtuber. His review was okay so I kept with him to see what came of it.

And I got this.

Guitarmasterx7:

He's 90% wrong.

Or did you miss the entire part where he fed into the racism against Muslims?

Also, why are you impersonating a youtuber?

JemothSkarii:
First I had to check if this thread was by Jim Sterling or not...then I remembered it isn't Tuesday (or Monday for Americans).

I'm not even going to check that video, but by the comments I think it's safe to say that he's just some pseudo intellectual with no sense of tact. To think these kinda of threads died down for a little while, it was starting to get nice and relaxed again.

To be fair this seems to have turned into more of "Look and laugh" thread.

And while I don't agree that videogames should be a boys club or a male space, after going through high school during a time where you pretty much had to hide that you played videogames because most girls would put you on their blacklist for it, yeah I guess now it seems a little bit insulting that they come in making demands and expecting game devs to cater to them.

Lolwut? So because some girls at some indeterminate point in history put boys who play video games on their "blacklist" (which I am assuming is a definitive list of "people I will not give sex to" that every female strictly administrates), it's somehow "insulting" to criticise video game publishers for constantly and invariably marketing to a male demographic? You want to punish all female gamers for the crimes supposedly committed by girls you went to high school with? I don't even...

Seriously, though, that phrase "they come in making demands" pretty much sums up the attitude of every male gamer or nerd who freaks out about the idea of girls hanging out in their treehouse, and it's where all this nonsense about gaming being a "safe male space" comes from. Kid, I've been playing video games since I was eight years old and so have a lot of female gamers, so stop talking like we've suddenly just shown up en masse and started rearranging the furniture.

Adeptus Aspartem:
I did it. I watched it. All of it.

Can you please help me. I think i lost a part of my brain somewhere... can't find it...

Pics or it didn't happen.

And by that I mean you have to watch it again and take photos of your face in various states of torture.

Lionsfan:

Do you have any evidence that the sort of stuff he talks about is more prevalent now, than it has been in the past?

As far as the game aspect, what do you mean "expecting game devs to cater to them"? Again, do you have any evidence?

I wouldn't say I've necessarily seen any huge rise in it, more that I've seen a lot of the things in spades. I mean it's not like I took photo documentation of how many girls I slept with when I tried to win them over by listening to them and buying them drinks vs how many I did once I learned that acting like they're barely worth it works way better, or how many of my totally whipped friends got treated like shit and then dumped. I'm not a sociologist and I don't care enough about forum debates to catalog those kinds of things. Sorry. I'm just speaking from genuine experience. If you want, you can look up some youtube videos of women giving legitimate dating advice and you'll generally see the tone of it is either "man, do more" or "woman, expect less," both of which operate on the assumption that the man should be the one jumping through the hoops to impress the woman.

But again, this is a prevalent trend, not a definite rule.

As for the second part I mean, the dragon's crown debacle, hitman's bondage nuns, the huge amount of support drawn for Anita Sarkeesian's "tropes vs women in videogames," there's definitely a large group of women that feel some sense of entitlement to being catered to, or at very least feel disrespected when they aren't being catered to.

And don't get me wrong, this guy is probably just an angry little gnome that can't get laid. He's definitely biased and overgeneralizing. I'm just saying he's not completely inaccurate.

Saviordd1:

He's 90% wrong.

Or did you miss the entire part where he fed into the racism against Muslims?

Also, why are you impersonating a youtuber?

I didn't watch the last 4-5 minutes of it so yeah I did.

Also it's mainly because I have no body hair whatsoever and I want to pretend I'm someone with body hair. Eyebrows and such.

Guitarmasterx7:

As for the second part I mean, the dragon's crown debacle, hitman's bondage nuns, the huge amount of support drawn for Anita Sarkeesian's "tropes vs women in videogames," there's definitely a large group of women that feel some sense of entitlement to being catered to, or at very least feel disrespected when they aren't being catered to.

And pray tell, how are those examples in any way different to, let's say, any one of the other five billion times that gamers have criticised something about a game? Like the time people bitched about Mass Effect 3's ending, or the bugs in Skyrim, or the misleading advertising for Aliens: Colonial Marines, or microtransactions, or overpriced DLC, or always-online requirements for single-player campaigns, or bad combat controls, or QTEs or [insert other five billion examples here].

Fact: a sense of entitlement is part of being a consumer. Gamers are the ones who pay for the games that developers make, therefore gamers are entitled to speak up about what they do and don't want to see in video games that they pay for. The thing about supply and demand is that, well, you need demands.

Are only male gamers allowed to feel entitled now? Is that part of the whole "No girls allowed" rulebook that apparently got handed out when I wasn't looking?

Froggy Slayer:

bananafishtoday:

Srsly this guy should run for president of Reddit or something.

You think Reddit is the pinnacle of internet misogyny.

How quaint.

...unless you want your illusions shattered, never go onto 4chan.

True misogyny needs to be separated from people being insecure or douchebags. People of each gender "look down on the opposite sex" out of sexual insecurity, without actually hating the opposite sex.

Many people find it "fun", rather than personally demeaning, to get together with same gender people and insult the opposite sex. It helps them relax to take out their frustrations and difficulties, often associated with relationship problems.

boots:

And pray tell, how are those examples in any way different to, let's say, any one of the other five billion times that gamers have criticised something about a game? Like the time people bitched about Mass Effect 3's ending, or the bugs in Skyrim, or the misleading advertising for Aliens: Colonial Marines, or microtransactions, or overpriced DLC, or always-online requirements for single-player campaigns, or bad combat controls, or QTEs or [insert other five billion examples here].

Fact: a sense of entitlement is part of being a consumer. Gamers are the ones who pay for the games that developers make, therefore gamers are entitled to speak up about what they do and don't want to see in video games that they pay for. The thing about supply and demand is that, well, you need demands.

Are only male gamers allowed to feel entitled now? Is that part of the whole "No girls allowed" rulebook that apparently got handed out when I wasn't looking?

A consumer isn't actually entitled to anything at all. There's obviously a benefit to pleasing a consumer, but nobody is entitled to a good ending in mass effect 3, or for skyrim to have no glitches. Aliens was debatably false advertising which is illegal, but gamers are not entitled to a good aliens game either.

That aside, most of the things you mentioned (aside from QTEs) are either bad consumer practices or not meeting established consumer expectations. Dragon's Crown is a new IP with no established consumer expectation regarding the portrayal of women. It's not like Metroid: Other M where it took an established dignified female protagonist and objectified her (allegedly, I didn't play it) because in that case it would be on exactly the same level as complaining about Mass Effect's ending. It's the idea of "THERE EXISTS A THING THAT IS NOT MARKETED FOR ME, I AM ANGRY!" that I see as presumptive entitlement.

Guitarmasterx7:

A consumer isn't actually entitled to anything at all. There's obviously a benefit to pleasing a consumer, but nobody is entitled to a good ending in mass effect 3, or for skyrim to have no glitches. Aliens was debatably false advertising which is illegal, but gamers are not entitled to a good aliens game either.

Sorry, you decided that criticism was synonymous with entitlement and it looked like fun so I joined in.

That aside, most of the things you mentioned (aside from QTEs) are either bad consumer practices or not meeting established consumer expectations. Dragon's Crown is a new IP with no established consumer expectation regarding the portrayal of women. It's not like Metroid: Other M where it took an established dignified female protagonist and objectified her (allegedly, I didn't play it) because in that case it would be on exactly the same level as complaining about Mass Effect's ending. It's the idea of "THERE EXISTS A THING THAT IS NOT MARKETED FOR ME, I AM ANGRY!" that I see as presumptive entitlement.

Want a little hat for that straw man? Generally speaking, the main criticism being made isn't that some video games aren't marketed to women, it's that no video games are ever marketed towards women, and the vast majority of video games are marketed towards the teenage boy demographic (which, incidentally, is not the most dominant demographic within video game consumers). The people criticising it aren't just women, either; a lot of guys get sick of game publishers basically saying, "You'll buy this game because it's got big bouncing tits in it and that's all you want." Being misguidedly pandered to can be just as annoying as not being marketed to at all.

Also, you still haven't addressed your attitude of "women don't belong in the gaming community because some girls in high school refused to sleep with me," and until you do it's hard to take you seriously.

Saviordd1:

To be fair this seems to have turned into more of "Look and laugh" thread.

Hell if you want something to look and laugh at...

Edit: Well, it was pointed out to me that the image was a fake, didnt know that before so I will remove it and leave this here

After reading things like that, one can understand where he gets his stance.

Desert Punk:
snip

That image is fake. Nice try, though.

Yeah, keep spamming forums with fake photos taken straight from reddit. I hear there are a few made of Anita too, maybe you can post those next.

Uhura:
Yeah, keep spamming forums with fake photos taken straight from reddit. I hear there are a few made of Anita too, maybe you can post those next.

I'd hardly call posting 1 photo "spamming"....

Uhura:

That photo was from facebook, and it was just pointed out to me that it was fake and I was preparing to remove it, go whine elsewhere.

boots:

Also, you still haven't addressed your attitude of "women don't belong in the gaming community because some girls in high school refused to sleep with me," and until you do it's hard to take you seriously.

You have this nasty habit of putting words in my mouth. I literally said right before that that I don't think gaming should be a boy's club. My point with that was that it used to be. Before guitar hero, before the wii, before xbox live, before the iphone, that female demographic was marginally smaller. So when the new demographic comes in and gets angry at the industry making games for what used to be its main demographic, there's an understandable sense of enmity around the notion.

Desert Punk:

That photo was from facebook, and it was just pointed out to me that it was fake and I was preparing to remove it, go whine elsewhere.

Oh, it's a totally understandable mistake, but enough of that because Facebook has just informed me that NICOLAS CAGE MATED WITH A CAT HOLY SHIT!

Actually your original statement was pretty accurate. I'm very willing to believe that the guy in the video turned out the way he did because of spending too much time on 4chan.

Guitarmasterx7:

You have this nasty habit of putting words in my mouth. I literally said right before that that I don't think gaming should be a boy's club. My point with that was that it used to be. Before guitar hero, before the wii, before xbox live, before the iphone, that female demographic was marginally smaller. So when the new demographic comes in and gets angry at the industry making games for what used to be its main demographic, there's an understandable sense of enmity around the notion.

You know, the awkward thing about accusing people of putting words into your mouth in an internet forum discussion is that I can literally just scroll up the page and quote your post. Look:

Guitarmasterx7:

And while I don't agree that videogames should be a boys club or a male space, after going through high school during a time where you pretty much had to hide that you played videogames because most girls would put you on their blacklist for it, yeah I guess now it seems a little bit insulting that they come in making demands and expecting game devs to cater to them.

You made a "Gaming shouldn't be a boy's club, but..." post, and just as with people who preface incredibly racist statements by saying "I'm not a racist, but...", you actually ended up making a load of arguments about why gaming should be a boy's club. And one of those reasons was that girls apparently refused to sleep with you because you played video games.

I believe a meaningful definition of misogyny would be this guy.

Guitarmasterx7:

Have you ever considered that perhaps they were prone to "blacklisting you" because women who showed interest in video games at the time would be equally discriminated against? It seems as though you are struggling greatly to see things from any perspective other than your own.

Saviordd1:

Come on now everyone, lets not be so critical, this guy looks pretty legit:

I say we appoint him as our messiah, and all join together in this new... lets call it a 'brotherhood', in order to usher in the glorious tiberium age and crush all who oppose us.

What do you say? Can I get a Nod of agreement?

boots:

You made a "Gaming shouldn't be a boy's club, but..." post, and just as with people who preface incredibly racist statements by saying "I'm not a racist, but...", you actually ended up making a load of arguments about why gaming should be a boy's club. And one of those reasons was that girls apparently refused to sleep with you because you played video games.

It's more like the equivalent of saying "I'm not racist but I think the Rodney King riots set progressivism back if anything." It's more about the social implications of it than my personal feelings.

Also since you keep going "LOL U COULDNT GET LAID IN HIGH SCHOOL," it's more that I had to hide my ps2 whenever I had girls over.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here