Bonus Poll: How large is your music library?
1000 songs or less
30.1% (44)
30.1% (44)
1000-2000 songs
11.6% (17)
11.6% (17)
2000-3000 songs
11.6% (17)
11.6% (17)
3000-4000 songs
5.5% (8)
5.5% (8)
4000-5000 songs
10.3% (15)
10.3% (15)
5000-6000 songs
4.1% (6)
4.1% (6)
6000-7000 songs
1.4% (2)
1.4% (2)
7000 songs or more
24% (35)
24% (35)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Your Music Library

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Tom_green_day:

Daft Time:
EDM and Alternative Rock.

Are you saying that ALL music is in these categories, or just your music? Because the latter is valid if none of my business, but saying it's the first one will cause me to cry blood.

Re-read that section of my post - or any of it actually, I even link music that doesn't fit that genre in the last two questions - they are only the two largest genres in my digital library. For further clarification, when broken down in to more accurate sub genres the combination Jazz and Blues is almost equal to that of the non-dubstep EDM in a library of that currently sits at 7584 songs.

The artists of which have either play Jazz or have experimented with it are:

It's safe to say at this point; no, I wasn't saying that all music - or even all my own music - fit those two broad genres. In fact, it was a criticism of the poor labelling of most of the music I've come across. So can we not throw around insults - even masked ones - about musical tastes? It's pretty pathetic (though in this case, the fact I didn't even say either of the statements you said I did makes it kind of funny).

I couldn't possibly listen to more than a few hundred. I have about 113 songs in my playlist, although on my ipod I have audiobooks adding up to above a day of audio. Bang, I'm impressive

Checking Spotify, my main playlist has 910 songs. My second biggest though has 225 songs. considering though that I have about 20 playlists, I'd say I'm at about 1800 all in all.

Well, this should be fun. :)

Right now on my AIMP3 main playlist I have 16707 songs.
In times, if I listen to my playlist 24/7 non-stop, it would take 54 days, 16 hours, 56 minutes and 33 seconds.
My main playlist weight 172.09 GB which is starting to take a lot of place.

* What musical styles make up the majority of the music you own?
Metal and rock and all their subgenre. It would be easier to list what subgenre I don't listen to: black, industrial, thrash, doom and alternative.

* Is this a good indicator of your musical preferences?
Yes and no. Yes because I've grown up with metal and rock, so yes it can represent me fairly well as I still listen to a lot of it.
No because I've come to appreciate almost every genre of music. My main genre are still metal and rock but I really don't limit myself to these two.

* What kind music do you wish you had more of?
Flamenco. It's so good but so rare to find any CD's in any store here.

* Is you collection mostly digital, CD or vinyl?
Mostly digital because of Itune and the rise of streaming and pay-what-you-want model of download. That doesn't mean I don't buy CD's, I have a lot of them. All of my CDs are ripped on my computer.
I'm not a huge fan of vinyl though, I have some but I very rarely listen to 'em. Only if I listen to some jazz or latin music.

* How much of your music have you seen live?
Not a lot. Like I said earlier, I like metal, so most the show I could see have a lot of thrashing and pushing. Can't say I'm a fan so I try to stay away from that. I've seen a few festival though, can't say I remember all the names of the artists.

* Anything notable that you've seen live?
I guess my most memorable experience was seeing Dream Theater in July 2010, just before Mike Portnoy left the band.

My collection has roughly 3.5 thousand songs, which is mostly a blend of Industrial/Aggrotech and Metal, with a few alt rock bands.

It's a pretty good indicator. There are a few genres that I don't mind, but heavy music is usually what I'll listen too when given the choice.

I wish I had more Metal. Specifically, more Melodic Death Metal. My Industrial collection has grown quite a bit over the past few years, and my Metal collection has been stagnating.

My collection is mostly digital. The few CD I have are ripped, so I guess that means my collection is entirely digital.

I'll make a list of concerts I can remember at the moment:

I really wanted to go to the Kinetik Festival in Montreal next week, but tickets sold out before I could convince someone to go with me. This is going to be the second time that I miss Suicide Commando, and he just released a new album, and will be playing a 2 hour set... fuck.

516 artists, 1,202 albums, 12,817 tracks, 37 days 21 hours and 15 minutes, 161.36 GB.
According to the raw totality of number, hip-hop, alternative rock and art rock. Although, truthfully, that's mostly because I've not bothered to split those up into sub genres as I have others.
Not exactly, my tastes evolve quite a lot.
Progressive folk that can go between colorfully orchestrated tracks with manipulated, multi-tracked vocals and large production values to personal, instrument-and-voice segments (Joanna Newsom, my personal favorite, and Roy Harper do this particularly well). Also classical, the tradition is so large and varied I'm never sure what period to start with, and jazz that contains a free and wild spirit while not totally eschewing traditional structure.
Digital > CD > Vinyl
Hardly any, I live in a nothing special town and, being 16, I can't exactly spend large sums of money for out-of-the-way shows.
Nope.

As a lover of prose and poetry I'm also extremely partial to musicians who show a lyrical flair while maintaining large attention to music; once again, Joanna Newsom and Roy Harper do this extremely well, as well as Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and even Modest Mouse. Unfortunately, literature and schoolwork have consumed my days so much in recent months that I've had very little time for actual music listening--luckily I've only a few more weeks to drudge through before summer presents me copious amounts of time to kill, save for the one or two summer assignments I'll have.

Daft Time:

* What acts would you like to go see?
* What gigs do you wish you could have been at?

The majority of my music is rock and roll and alternative, but my favorite types of music are verging on experimental, Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Tom waits, Mr. Bungle, Igor Stravinsky and such. The only archetype of music I really don't have a complete album of is country western. I really enjoy all sorts of music, my playlists usually go something like this:

Rachmaninov, Symphony No. 1 in D Minor (Op. 13) - Grave - Allegro ma non troppo (Svetlanov)
The Beatles, Dear Prudence
Daedelus, Just Briefly
Ultramagnetic MC's, Give The Drummer Some
Led Zepplin, Ramble On
Marvin Gaye, Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Feat. Tammi Terrell)
Primus, Tommy the Cat

I'm always looking for good experimental cross genre; I just found Secret Chiefs 3 and I'm flipping my shit over how good Second Constitution and Book M are. My collection is mostly digital, I have over 50 cds though, mostly of stuff I couldn't get through a digital service.

It could just be my taste in music but at many of the shows I've been to I've felt like a tourist. Just because I enjoy the complexity of Gojira doesn't mean I'm at home at their concert. Music concerts, at least the ones I've been to, are about submerging yourself in the culture surrounding the music rather than pure enjoyment of the music. Because of this I find music festivals a lot more fun than individual concerts. Also, many of the groups I really have a burning need to see live are disbanded or dead. Case in point, I wish I could have seen the Live Aid concert especially Queen at Wembley Stadium July 13th 1985.

-Mostly various sub genres of metal.

-Yup.

-More electronic(using it as a catch all term), more good pop music, more punk/punk rock

-Mostly digital. I've begun taking steps to replace my digital library with physical media though.

-One band.

-As above, I've only been to one concert. It was Godsmack/Metallica for my 18th birthday. It was pretty amazing.

-Warbringer, Symphony X, Wintersun, Orphaned Land and Pagans Mind immediately jump out in my mind.

-Right now Kreator, Warbringer and Overkill are touring together. Would absolutely kill to see that show.
That aside, I'd love to check out some of the bigger festivals, like ProgPower, Bloodstock, and Wacken.

About 11k tracks, though if I had a good cleanup I'm guessing it could fall to around 8k. My top picks that make it to my portable devices amount to roughly 1.6k

Symphonic metal/Female fronted metal

For the most part yeah. The rest of my top tags from last.fm are: gothic metal, power metal, rock, instrumental, christian rock, soundtrack and trailer music

Female fronted Christian metal. There's not much out there, and even less that matches what I like

Digital, though I also still buy CDs

Not much, due to living in Australia. Have seen Nightwish twice, plus The Birthday Massacre and Linkin Park, but that's about it.

I have about 11,00 songs total.

90% Metal and a lot of its variants. Hard Rock, Industrial and some oddball 80's, 90's stuff thats weird but I like it.

Indeed it is.

I am always looking for more metal with clear vocals. I find that I can't get into music as much if I don't understand or can clearly hear the lyrics.

I have a couple hundred physical CD's but I ripped them all into a digital format, in the last 5 years about 95% of all my music has been entirely digital.

Quite a lot of bands. I have been to over 100 concerts easily and those are only big name bands. Seen hundreds of smaller bands and up and comers.

I got to see Metallica on my 21st birthday in Germany and go back stage and meet Kirk and Jason. Seeing Rammstein before they were popular and afterwards in the big arena shows. Iron maiden, The original lineup of Black Sabbath and with Dio. Saw a full blown riot erupt at an outdoor festival and a few bands that ended up performing their last shows shortly after or that was the last show.

Slipknot- I have had tickets to see them 3 times and didn't get to see them. Once they were at a outdoors festival in Kansas City when they were just breaking out and they wouldn't play because the stage the promoters had set up wouldn't support the weight of all their kit and them. 2nd time I was driving to an Ozzfest and our car broke down on the way, by the time we got there I was able to hear the last 2 songs of their set as we were waiting to get in the door. 3rd time I was going through a divorce and my ex thought she would get back at me for some trivial thing I did by destroying the tickets I had. So yeah paid for 3 show tickets and saw them zero times....

i. avant-garde, jazz and noise
ii. certainly
iii. hip-hop and new wave have always been a pretty big gap in my vocabulary
iv. digital, with a few records and a bunch of CDs
v. not very much
vi. Boris, Earth, Lasse Marhaug, Oren Ambarchi, Swans, Godspeed, Mono

library is 18,756 tracks, 141.16gb

The numbers:
Items in my MP3 folder: 3962
Amount of vinyl records: about 4/5ths of one standard Billy shelf (one layer, including my girlfriend's)
CDs: uh, a good boxfull.

What musical styles make up the majority of the music you own?
Probably EDM. Or is it IDM? Electronica? You know, this + that

Is this a good indicator of your musical preferences?
Yes. No. This collection woefully underrepresents how much I also like a lot of music which needs no electricity.

What kind music do you wish you had more of?
see above. Singer/songwriter stuff. Plus some Hip Hop/Rap. But Spotify (even the free account) covers this so far (insert rant about atrocious advertising)

Is your collection mostly digital, CD or vinyl?
mostly digital, duh. And I'm tempted to do something with my CDs that results in them being 'away'. The ones I (still) care about are high quality mp3s already.

How much of your music have you seen live?
No idea. Couple. Not too many.

Anything notable that you've seen live?
Massive Attack was fantastic. Intoxication was involved. Faith No More (I'm somewhere on this rather obscure recording)

Daft Time:
This thread is rather simple, but I was curious of a few things:

EDIT: A lot of people haven't managed to see anything, so here is are questions to include you guys:

Winamp currently says that my library encompasses 7669 tracks. However that does not include my classical music as I haven't bothered to clean it up a bit and make up a decent tagging scheme - that should be about a thousand tracks to add. Also I've got a rather large folder with music lying around (about 4000 tracks) that I haven't bothered to check through properly as of yet plus there is...

...which if you bothered to click on it should have made obvious that I listen to, well, everything really if it's good. Historically my focus is on metal, punk/rock, game music and classical pieces. For instance Blind Guardian and The offspring are two of my eternal favourites, as is Tchaikovsky and Yasunori Mitsuda - the composer behind the soundtracks for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears. Lately (as during the last 3-5 years) I've been busy expanding my horizon into the experimental with bands such as Kayo Dot, Mr. Bungle, The Secret Chiefs 3 or Estradasphere plus I've delved into even more different genres a bit like electronic, ambient and some hip-hop pieces. As such, my music library is a broad panopticon of different stuff and kind of reflects my interests well enough - besides still having to include all my classical pieces that is :)

However, what I've noticed recently is that I really do love Jazz influences and, sadly, I don't know of too many good Jazz artists or jazz pieces, so that is what I'd like to have more in my library. I'd also always like to have more cool avantgarde stuff, prog-rock and music that couples classical influences to rock or metal without getting cheesy.

As for the format, I want all my music to be easily accessible, so if I buy something on a CD I pretty much immediately rip it and convert it to mp3. I don't particularly need physical copies except from some bands that I feel need more recognition and that I want to be able to listen to in case of a car that I cannot connect my mp3 player to.

So, that should have done the trick....

kayo of the Well:
-snip-

Also, you get a kudos for your username alone......

I have roughly 10.5k tracks, plenty of which are ripped from CD's. However. I've been listening to more pandora, spotify, and youtube stuff over the past couple of years, so that's slowed my music accumulation process.

I'm mostly a classic/alt rock guy, but only barely. I listen to a lot of electronic stuff (haven't bothered to waste brain space won learning all the genre and sub-genre names), a lot of video-game and movie soundtracks, a lot of classical (Stravinsky's a favorite, so's Josquin Desprez), and quite a bit of punk, metal, jazz, bluegrass, and assorted folk/folk-rock stuff. Not much country or hip-hop, but I'm open to both.

All of the electronica that I listen to is on streaming things, so I don't actually have any in my library. Otherwise, what I listen to is what I own. Except for the 4000+ songs by Frank Zappa that my uncle gave me that I've barely listened to.

I wish that I had more of everything, but especially folk (although I'm hesitant to use this label, since some of the stuff that I'm talking about probably fits into other genres) and electronic music. My library suffers in these areas, and I'm forced to the internet.

My collection is all digital, although I think I do have a few CD's floating around. I also listen to my dad's vinyl collection fairly often.

I've seen a lot of alt rock and classic rock groups live that are in my library, but I still haven't seen most of my library live. Going to random shows and getting their music is one of the main ways that I add stuff to my library, but these days I do it on Spotify.

I saw a show from the Who's recent Quadrophenia tour, and I also saw Roger Water's the Wall show, both of which were very notable to me. They were both very good, but neither quite lived up to the actual albums, which are among my favorites.

Most of my dream shows require a time machine to the 1960's or '70s, but a more realistic goal is to see as many of the Zeppelin guys as possible (Plant down, Page and Jones remaining). I also really want to go to a QotSA live show.

Chromatic Aberration:
snipping of nice stuff

I'll help you remove some brackets ;)

Mouse on the Keys & Contemporary Noise Quintet - I think I plugged those two around here a couple of times
Sparklehorse - hit and miss for me, but when it hits it really does
Explosions in the Sky - forgot to add stuff like this to Music I Don't Have Enough Of
Jack White - Why not?
Primus - or at least Too Many Puppies. Everyone needs this.

purf:

Chromatic Aberration:
snipping of nice stuff

I'll help you remove some brackets ;)

Mouse on the Keys & Contemporary Noise Quintet - I think I plugged those two around here a couple of times
Sparklehorse - hit and miss for me, but when it hits it really does
Explosions in the Sky - forgot to add stuff like this to Music I Don't Have Enough Of
Jack White - Why not?
Primus - or at least Too Many Puppies. Everyone needs this.

Well, thanks - guess I'll take some time to listen to those in particular in the near future. Chances also are that I actually heard Mouse on the Keys & Contemporary Noise Quintet because of you then - the list is essentially compiled from various sources which also includes every other music thread I stumble across around here. ;)

EDIT: I feel inclined to add that after listening to a playlist of Mouse on the Keys I'm certain that I'll get myself some of their music....many thanks once again :D

I have around 3500 songs... on my phone. It would be more but 32GB only gets you so far.

*What musical styles make up the majority of the music you own?
-I listen to everything except dubstep and hardcore rock. From DMX to Taylor Swift. Kyary Pamyu Pamyu to AC/DC.

*Is this a good indicator of your musical preferences?
-Generally it is. I tend to heavily favour lyrics over beats. You'll never catch me listening to 2Chains no matter how much it bangs.

*What kind music do you wish you had more of?
Right now it's more Jpop (because it's almost always a happy song) and underground rap (the BET nominations left me craving for some real music). Those to types are a bitch to get a hold of though. I don't do Itunes either so it's even harder.

*Is you collection mostly digital, CD or vinyl?
Mostly digital but only due to physical space constraints. I prefer physically owning something.

*How much of your music have you seen live?
None. The artists that tour here are usually the ones that I hate. We had Justin Bieber a few days ago for example.

*What acts would you like to go see?
I would kill to see Lupe Fiasco, Nas or Kid Cudi live. I've watched a couple of their gigs online and their energy is amazing. Also Japanese stuff. I'm really interested in that Vocaloid stuff.

*What gigs do you wish you could have been at?
Any of the above artists. I also wish that I could go to Cochella and Woodstock.

Im sitting at about 1500 songs in my itunes music library, probably 1300 of those are country music.
most of those are through physical copies of cd's i already own.

I have no bloody idea how many songs i have laying around

Extreme metal and Trance

uhhh why would not it be

Extreme metal and Trance

I do not have a vinyl player... i have about 50 or 150 cds here, and probably thousands of digitoll songs

None

No

Bolt thrower, Shpongle, Talamasca, Nile, Alice cooper, Miranda, Ajattara, Melechesh, Styrofume, Overseer, whatever

Primarily female-fronted metal.

With the less than stellar stuff that's on the airwaves and top charts with just about everything sounding the same in my ears, I say yes.

More death metal, something in the likes of Hate Eternal or Deicide.

100% digital.

None.

Like I said, none.

Stuff involving The Agonist, Within Temptation or Unbreath.

I dunno how to answer that question.

Rock, metal and J-POP

Yes.

Anison

Digital!! I only own a few CDs that I bought about ten years ago.

Only MJ, and AKB48.

MJ I guess.
Also AKB48 graduation of Maeda Atsuko.

Any of my favorite rock artists.

Ozzfet 2013

Hooray, I love music threads.

Rock and metal. Nearly everything I listen to falls into these categories, or straddles the line between them.

Yes.

Quieter, acoustic stuff, for when I don't want things to go all the way up to eleven.

Mostly digital, however I have been buying a lot of CD's in the past few years. I'd say I have about thirty. All my CD's are ripped into FLAC, with the rest being mainly MP3.

Not much of it, simply because I have a lot of music, but I love live gigs. I've seen Paradise Lost, Ghost, Gojira, Tenacious D, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Wishbone Ash and an acoustic Devin Townsend set.
Also I just missed out on seeing Tenacious D again in December, cause the darn thing sold out so quickly.
I feel I've been very lucky; a lot of my favourite bands play little clubs in my town and the surrounding area. I would have seen Baroness last summer, until their bus accident on the morning of the day I was going to see them.

I've seen Gojira twice within the space of a year. Amazing live band.

I voted 7000+. My dad was a drummer, and we always shared our music with each other. Between the two of us, our music library is... absurdly large. We actually built a room onto the house that I grew up in for the sole purpose of storing our music. The room was completely filled years ago, and now we've started storing stuff in boxes. Easily thousands upon thousands of CDs in addition to thousands upon thousands of vinyl records. I'd say that the majority of it would be defined as classic rock, but honestly, we're all over the map when it comes to represented genres. Only genres we don't particularly care for are rap, electronic, and honestly... most new music from the past ten years or so regardless of genre.

I'm at 7945 songs, or just a hair over 3 weeks of music.

Mostly noisy alt-rock stuff with splashes of classic rock, blues, jazz, goofy rap, and synth pop.

If I collected these songs, how could it not be a good indicator. In other words, yes

Blues and good woman-fronted bands.

Probably 80% CD, 15% digital purchases, and 5% free mixtapes and compilations. Used CD stores are the bomb

About 10% or so, it's a little tricky when you have lots of older bands.

Saw the Pixies perform Doolittle in full. Also Elton John. Past that, just smaller bands I like.

The Pogues before Shane MacGowan dies of alcohol poisoning, or the Flaming Lips

My friends in college randomly found themselves at a house party where Fountains of Wayne were playing for some reason, and they went back to the band's hotel room and watched them do coke. I'm still not sure how I missed being there as well.

10,104 songs as of now.

*Styles?
Soundtrack and Electronic are the biggest entries. Electronic is pretty broad, though. I should rethink my classification.
Rock, World/New Age, Indie/Art-Rock all strongly represented.

*Good Indicator of Preferences?
Also-rans: Hard Rock, Grunge, Blues, House, Alternative, Electronic, Reggae, Classic Rock, Synthrock, Goth, Folk Rock, Atmospheric, Avant-Garde, Zydeco, Dream Pop, Oldies, Punk, Metal, Industrial, Trip-Hop, Surf, Experimental, and others.
It's easier to list what I don't like: rap, country, bubble-gum oldies, and radio pop.

*What Do I Wish I Had More Of?
Money. I'll buy anything that piques my interest.

*Digital/CD/vinyl?
Have about 200 CDs. The vast majority is digital.

*What Have I Seen Live?

I need to see The Birthday Massacre, Loreena McKennitt, and Cowboy Mouth before I die. Cowboy Mouth in particular. A friend of mine explained their live shows like this: "On a bad night they'll tear the roof off the place and on a good night they'll save your soul." Yes, please.

According to WMP, I've got 5573 tracks up in this bitch which racks up to 455 hours of music. Good to know I can keep myself occupied for a straight fortnight or so if need be.

The vast majority of it would fall under Metal/Rock in some capacity.

Yes, although I'm certainly open to idea of exploring many other genres and building up a more eclectic collection.

Jazz. Whilst I like a lot of Jazz-fusion stuff and I've got a small handful of what I guess you would call Jazz in the more traditional sense, I really haven't delved too far into the realm of classic Jazz. I could do with getting into a bit more Indie, Electronic, Industrial, some more Thrash on the Metal front, at least one Delta Blues album and perhaps some more stuff in a Baroque-pop/rock kind of vain. I'm also half-heartedly determined to find at least one full Hip-Hop album that I actually like all the way through.

* Is your collection mostly digital, CD or vinyl?

I've got about 4/500 CD's lying around, which are all ripped to my computer and a few digital albums/songs here and there in addition to that.

None. Never been to a gig. Total social leper.

Loads, I'd be up for seeing plenty of acts, though of the ones that are actually currently touring (as far as I know) Opeth, Devin Townsend, Ulver, Ihsahn, Beyond Creation, Amon Amarth, Cynic, Darkspace, Tool and Exivious would probably top the list. Also, being able to see 3/4 of the original Black Sabbath whilst they're still alive would be pretty fucking monumental.

Would have been cool if I could have seen Thin Lizzy or Death before their frontmen kicked the bucket or Pink Floyd before Roger Waters left.

6,731 tracks atm.
At least 372 bands.
The vast majority of what i own is Darkwave, Industrial, or Synthpop of various forms which does reflect my preferences.
My collection is about half and half digital and physical cd's which are also backed up digitally.
I've seen some of them live but not as many as i would like. Sadly many of my preferred bands rarely come to the US.
I would love to see too many bands to mention here. I'll have to go to europe to either Wave Gothic Treffen or Whitby music festival to have half a shot at seeing them realistically. Which i also wish i could have gone to every one of.
If i had to pick one i'd love to see it would be L'Ame Immortelle.

I have 11568 songs.

I have a huge range of genres everything from death metal to jazz, classical to house.
Yeah it's a perfect indication of my preferences, which is EVERYTHING.
I wish I had more Jazz and House. Two genres I'm always trying to get more into but never do.
It's probably 95% digital 5% ripped CD's.
I've seen a few bands in my library.
I wish I could see Nine Inch Nails live, and I may get the opportunity, as well as Daft Punk.

I'm constantly updating my machine, so I never have any more than 500 songs at any given time. I'm always buying a new laptop every couple of years.

I'm into practically everything, except metal. My ears don't generally react well to rock at all, so it's very very hard for me to like any rock. But I like everything else; from Rap to Classical to RnB to Pop to Techno to Hip Hop to House etc.

My favourite artists are Mariah Carey (best singer to ever grace this planet), Daft Punk, Alicia Keys, Ludacris, Gui Boratto, Kelis, Florence + The Machine, Lil Kim, Busta Rhymes, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Rebecca & Fiona, Missy Elliot.

Daft Time:
The majority of the music lies in two broad categories; EDM and Alternative Rock. The second 'genre' I loathe - not for it's content, but the fact it's just so broad without actually being descriptive. It seems if you have guitar and a drum set in your band you get dumped here.

KC Green agrees with you that it's a silly term.

OT: I'm coming up to around 400 songs in my iTunes. That's because I'm RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY picky when it comes to the music I listen to. If I like it I'll download it, but if I don't I won't. Simple as that. I think that's also because I prefer songs that stand out from the crowd. I don't like the idea of having so much goddam music that you almost never listen to. I like my music to have at least a few qualities that have each song stand out. I also just like to sit down and pick apart the song in my head while I listen. Seems to heavy of a task to do with so many songs. However, that means that you'll find more artists with a few songs on my MP3 than you'll find artists with their whole discography. I'd like to think those artists have made some good songs other than the ones I've heard, but research has proven me otherwise. :P

As for the kind of style music that I listen to, I'd say that there's a healthy mix of rock, indie, and electronica, with a lot of hip hop sprinkled in. You might get a few bits punk/country/ska here and there, but for the most part, it's those main four.

That does pretty much sum up my musical preference. You'll find stuff from Moby to Mumford and Songs. Radiohead to Weezer. Aesop Rock to Streetlight Manifesto. Etc.

I would like to get more jazz/blues, but that more comes from a lack of understanding of those genres. And those genres require a LOT of understanding. I'd also like to have a little more hip hop, more old school specifically. Remember that bit about me saying how picky I am about music? That's kind of why there's only so much sprinkled in my normal library. The stereotypical hip hop is what normally gets to me, and it's what I find the most often. And I hate it. I'm more about the underground part of hip hop, like Aesop Rock and such. But that'll only get you so much...

Pretty much all of my music is digital. There's not a day that goes by with me without headphones around my ears. It's just so good to have my whole library with me at all times! That said, I would love to get some vinyls of my favorite albums. Granted, it would pretty much be for novelty value but I would like to show my love for said albums in some way or another.

I've never been to a show of my favorite artists, much to my chagrin. I would love to go to a show by either Larry and His Flask or Streetlight Manifesto. Both are bands with so much goddam energy that you just want to be a part of! :D

So there. That's me talking about music. I do it a lot any chance I get. :P

War Penguin:

Heh, as soon as you mentioned Ska I knew you were going to bring up Streetlight Manifesto. The number of people who seem to listen to them without them having a particularly large audience is quite the paradox =P.

Aesop Rock haven't been "underground" for a very, very long time.

I know a few artists where their entire discography lacks a bad song. I can't imagine only having a few hundred songs, the only time I'm not listening to music is when I'm talking with people. A few hours of music just doesn't cut it. I've listened to every song in my entire library more than once, which would require more than three weeks of non-stop listening for a single run through. It's pretty crazy to think about, but I've compiled my library over many years.

Yeah, both Jazz and Blues have a pretty high barrier for entry. I had liked the general sound for many years before I started collecting a reasonable amount of it. Your best bet is just to listen to a variety of note worthy artists from both genres until you find what you like. Like any music really, though it's harder to find said artists in the first place.

Listening to Vinyl is an experience in and of itself. It's quite something to put the record on and drop the needle rather than just double clicking. You're practically forced to listen to the entire album in order as well, which takes some getting use to if you've gotten use to shuffle. I quite liked the experience when I still had Vinyl and records.

Daft Time:

Yeah, that is weird isn't it... They're that "famous but not really famous" kind of artists, like Ratatat or something. I would also say Aesop Rock, but according to you, that's not the case. :P

Hm. Well, there's "a bad song" and "a song I don't like." And I will find songs that I don't like in all of my favorite artist's library. Like I said, I'm picky. :/

This is probably why I don't generally buy albums in wholes anymore. One song I don't like and it'll ruin the bunch. Granted, I would love to get so many albums in vinyl form just to hear what they sounded like as intended. But there will always be that one song. I guess I've been spoiled by digital, but I can't help but be thankful that I can listen to the entirety of Radiohead's OK Computer and have it end with "No Surprises," pretending "Lucky" and "The Tourist" never existed. Yeah, I said it. Come at me bro!

War Penguin:

Daft Time:

This is probably why I don't generally buy albums in wholes anymore. One song I don't like and it'll ruin the bunch. Granted, I would love to get so many albums in vinyl form just to hear what they sounded like as intended. But there will always be that one song. I guess I've been spoiled by digital, but I can't help but be thankful that I can listen to the entirety of Radiohead's OK Computer and have it end with "No Surprises," pretending "Lucky" and "The Tourist" never existed. Yeah, I said it. Come at me bro!

It's worth it. Once I get a new album I usually listen to it at least once as intended, then I usually start filtering it into play lists. Works pretty well. My labels are completely unfathomable to anyone besides myself, because apparently I feel it's okay to label a playlists "m4", I know what the fuck is going on, but anybody else is just going to have to listen to that shit first. Anyway.

OK Computer wasn't a great album, and most of it's songs were thoroughly mediocre. Come at me bro!

12,500 songs which is just short of 50GB....
I've never deleted music (I have another folder for music I don't listen to.

Rock,gothic metal,soundtrack (games and movies), other metal, classical and pop. In that order.
I think the reason why rock is my biggest is I've always liked it. I also have both my parents music collections.

* * Is this a good indicator of your musical preferences?

My favorite music is gothic metal and alternative rock (Papa Roach etc), but I'm picky. I'm not so picky about my rock, one of the reasons why that's the bulk.

Gothic metal.

Digital. My CDs get copied and packed into boxes, or borrowed and never returned.

I saw my local orchestra play Disney songs (Lion King etc), and yes that's in my library.

Most of my music. Nightwish and Disturbed I can think of off the top of my head

[quote]* What gigs do you wish you could have been at?[/quot
Nightwish came to NZ begining of the year, but I couldn't afford to go to Auckland. Same thing with Santana.
During high-school there was Rock-to-Wellington which had Kiss, Lordi, Alice Cooper, Poison, White Snake and Ozzy Osbourne. Really wish I could of gone.

I don't have much music I think about 700 different titles. I think a large chunk of my music is Metal and Punk Rock. But saying that I like just that would be stupid. About 25% of my music is Ska, Electro and a little bit Classic.
I would love to have more Ska in my collection but I cant find anything lately that I like.
Also Im looking for more groups who have a female lead singer in Metal even if just for the sake of diversity

I have everything I have digital either as CD or vinyl sometimes both. Since im not living anymore at my parents place I don't have a vinyl player anymore. So I listen most of the time to my digital collection.

I saw my favourite group (Die Ärzte) playing more than once and I saw once the Skatoons. So nothing special since most people wont know either of those. I would love to see Leningrad cowboys but if I dont think they ever come to my country

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked