A Study On The Escapist

Pages PREV 1 2

Sorry, I feel asleep on watch an let another one in.

<_<

1. Why/How have these websites become so influential on the gaming industry, if at all?

I have no idea, I do not pay much attention to gaming news or the industry. I don't even visit the gaming side of the forum.

2. What draws you toward video games above all other mediums, both interactive and non-interactive?

I can't say that it draws me over any other mediums, I can't say I'd always choose Fallout: New Vegas over History of Sexuality. I do think that the main draw of video games is the interactive quality, for me its the exploration of the game, its limits, story, etc. But, I could say the same about what I enjoy about a good book, or a good movie. So I don't really think I can say that that interactive quality is unique. I'm a little sleep deprived so I may be able to elaborate after a good rest.

3. What experiences influence the way you discuss games amongst other members on this site, as opposed to real-life?
I don't think I've spent much, if any, time discussing games on this site. That said, I do think some aspect of the delayed discussion has influenced the way I talk to others about any topic in real life. Again I will try to elaborate later.

4. Is there any collaboration between reviewers, and more importantly, is there any collaboration between members of the site?
I can't answer the first, but I have collaborated with others to attack the common bourgeois arguments I see here.

5. Do members (that is you guys) mostly talk about gaming, or are off-topic discussions just as prevalent?
I can't answer this as I don't discuss games at all. I mostly just stick to posting provocative comments in the R&P quarantine zone.

6. Since this community centers around gaming, do members group up in the games they play, or just stay within the site's boundaries of discussion?
In the other site I visit gamers group by game they play, but this isn't that site.

7. What is appealing about the site/forum?
The diverse opinions, some of the only video game news I get, Lisa Foiles, and Jim Sterling. (Mostly Lisa)[1]

8. How often do you visit this site?
Whenever I browse the internet. Not that often.

JourneyManRick:
snip

If you want I can always create a Skype to answer the questions over voice chat.

[1] Just kidding Jim, I love you

Hafrael:
1. Why/How have these websites become so influential on the gaming industry, if at all?

I have no idea, I do not pay much attention to gaming news or the industry. I don't even visit the gaming side of the forum.

2. What draws you toward video games above all other mediums, both interactive and non-interactive?

I can't say that it draws me over any other mediums, I can't say I'd always choose Fallout: New Vegas over History of Sexuality. I do think that the main draw of video games is the interactive quality, for me its the exploration of the game, its limits, story, etc. But, I could say the same about what I enjoy about a good book, or a good movie. So I don't really think I can say that that interactive quality is unique. I'm a little sleep deprived so I may be able to elaborate after a good rest.

3. What experiences influence the way you discuss games amongst other members on this site, as opposed to real-life?
I don't think I've spent much, if any, time discussing games on this site. That said, I do think some aspect of the delayed discussion has influenced the way I talk to others about any topic in real life. Again I will try to elaborate later.

4. Is there any collaboration between reviewers, and more importantly, is there any collaboration between members of the site?
I can't answer the first, but I have collaborated with others to attack the common bourgeois arguments I see here.

5. Do members (that is you guys) mostly talk about gaming, or are off-topic discussions just as prevalent?
I can't answer this as I don't discuss games at all. I mostly just stick to posting provocative comments in the R&P quarantine zone.

6. Since this community centers around gaming, do members group up in the games they play, or just stay within the site's boundaries of discussion?
In the other site I visit gamers group by game they play, but this isn't that site.

The diverse opinions, some of the only video game news I get, Lisa Foiles, and Jim Sterling. (Mostly Lisa)[1]

JourneyManRick:
snip

If you want I can always create a Skype to answer the questions over voice chat.

While those are good answers, unfortunately I can't accept them on this thread. If you read the entire post, you notice that I mentioned that members who want to participate can request times for their interviews, rather than just posting them outright. Sorry, I'm kind of a stickler for protocols.

spark03:
SNIPPETY SNIP

Ah, well now we know =) Like I said in my previous post, I'm available Mondays and Wednesdays, and most times Saturdays and Sundays. That is if interviewing a 30 year old female from Sweden is pertinent to your class.

JourneyManRick:
snip

Okey dokey. Well I'm down for anytime this week, or next week, I live in Chitown so there are no conflicting time zones.

trollnystan:

spark03:
SNIPPETY SNIP

Ah, well now we know =) Like I said in my previous post, I'm available Mondays and Wednesdays, and most times Saturdays and Sundays. That is if interviewing a 30 year old female from Sweden is pertinent to your class.

As far as I know, the only age restriction is that all participants have to be 18+. So, of course you're allowed to be part of the project. At what times will you be availiable?

Hafrael:

JourneyManRick:
snip

Okey dokey. Well I'm down for anytime this week, or next week, I live in Chitown so there are no conflicting time zones.

Great! Expect a PM tomorrow.

JourneyManRick:

trollnystan:

spark03:
SNIPPETY SNIP

As far as I know, the only age restriction is that all participants have to be 18+. So, of course you're allowed to be part of the project. At what times will you be availiable?

Exact times would be Monday & Wednesday at around 22:30 GMT, and Saturday & Sunday any time between 10:30 GMT to 23:00 GMT. PM me and I'll give you my Skype =)

Dirty Hipsters:
So why exactly would you want to do a study on this community when you obviously aren't even a part of said community?

I'd prefer a study of a community to be done by someone who isn't biased one way or another. Neutral parties tend to make observations people closer to the subject matter will miss. Not seeing the forest for the trees and all. Thats my view.

I have great news, good news, and bad news.

The great news is that I have (at long last) created a Skype account, because I seriously haven't needed to use skype until now. So, all interviews will be moved there.

The bad news is that neither my home PC or the DePaul Lab PCs have a microphone or webcam, so the interviews won't be done via video chat or voice chat. If you feel uncomfortable with this, I'll remind you once again that you aren't obligated to take part in the project.

The good news is that text chat is still free, so the interviews can still be done via IM. However, the catch is that the PCs I usually use at DePaul's CDM campus don't have Skype installed, nor will they allow the software to be downloaded, so I'll have to do the interviews when I get home.

Other than that, I should be good to go.

IllumInaTIma:
Well, sing me in. But be prepared for some wicked accent.

Shock and Awe:
I should be good Monday-Wednesday in that time slot.

Ed130:

1) How did you find the Escapist?

2) Why should we participate? (no to be rude but you have zero presence on the site, and I have seen several 'researchers/students' like yourself breeze and leave.) I personally dislike the practice and view similar to telemarketers who like to ring up during dinner.

Other than that, I'm game. However I reside in New Zealand (the current time is NZST or GMT+12) so it could be interesting trying to set up a skype call.

Since your posts we've posted a few updates in an attempt to clarify the study. I've also sent out a few PM's but am not sure if they went through or not, so I was wondering what day(s)/time(s) you would each be available at if you were still willing to participate in an interview.

In response to further expand on those 2 questions:
1) Specifically, how I originally found the Escapist was probably through seeing Zero Punctuation years ago and since then I've occasionally watched those, LRR sketches and Jimquisition, but never really on a regular basis. I basically only knew the site from some of the video content prior to this project.
2) I've tried to clarify the purpose/content of the study in this thread, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Although I don't really have much of a presence yet, from my lurking, the discussions here seem interesting, and I already like some of the content this site provides, so once I have more free time in Summer, I'll probably start posting more regularly.

Also, (in addition to the next 2 days) this Monday is completely open on my end, since we have classes off for Memorial Day if this would work best for anyone

How would you even do a study about the escapist?

I mean, once you talk about how awesome I am, there's not much left to talk about.

JourneyManRick:
Everyone, please! Let's not get upset. Instead, let's analyze what went wrong here in the first place. Now, think about this for a moment, an outsider (I'm one to talk) simply created a login name and password, then came onto the off-topic forums and tried to recruit people to be interviewed. You have every right to be upset, confused, skeptical, and even possibly scared. But why? Well, it's because he's broken one of the cardinal rules of research. A researcher shouldn't simply jump in and interview the community he/she is studying. Instead, the researcher has to delve into the community and experience the general feel of said community before interviewing the locals.

Quite right o_q *monocle*

Non of us are upset, we're just wary since there have been a lot of smart spam bots recently.

I'm just gonna quote the parts I want to talk about, since you've provided quite a large backstory.

The reason as to why I'm here is because I'm enrolled in DePaul's 'GAM 208: Virtual Worlds and Online Communities' course, which has students interview members of online communities as its main project. In fact, this site has been chosen for a joint-research project alongside NeoGAF.

We chose this site for a few reasons, mainly because we've seen Zero Punctuation reviews on YouTube. However, neither me nor Westin originally came up with the idea to research this site. The idea was thought up by another student in our class. Unfortunately, said student was assigned to a different group and, by extension, a different site.

Never heard of that sort of research being done in a university. Then again, never went to university.

Sounds pretty damn interesting, actually. I'm jealous :<

To address other concerns, We are looking for about nine people of all races, genders, and social classes to share their experiences with this site. This project is just for a simple grade, and as far as I know, there is no plan to publish your responses.
In fact, you don't have to participate if you don't want to. And, if you do decide to participate, know that if you feel uncomfortable answering our questions or feel like you're being taken advantage of, you are free to drop out at any time, without penalty. If you answered any questions before dropping out, those answers will not be used. Screen names will be changed to ensure the anonymity of all participants and to make sure they aren't harassed by other members.

This makes me feel a lot better about this, especially the bit in bold.

I wouldn't want any users to get singled out or picked on for saying something in your questionnaire that would seem controversial to the majority. (Had enough of that lately... But I digress)

Although people will probably be interested to see how this prroject turns out, I'd like to ask you and your group not to post your findings in a new thread once it's completed. Obviously, I can be overturned by other Mods and Staff if you want to ask them, I just personally don't think it'd be a good idea.

For the people who participate, if they want to know the results, you can always contact them directly, since you'll have their Skypes.

Since screen names are already posted and it'll be assumed that all participants are 18+,

I wouldn't assume that at all, though... Please double check peoples profiles and their skype profiles if there really is an age limit on this.

Having said all that, if you've got any more questions about the Moderation on this site, I'm pretty much free everyday, so I always respond quickly to PMs (within reason).

Good luck with your project! :]

Tanakh:

Also hi spidymod! <3 U!!!

Sorry it's 5 days late, but hello! I less-than-3 you too! :3

*fwip fwip*

sky14kemea:

JourneyManRick:
Everyone, please! Let's not get upset. Instead, let's analyze what went wrong here in the first place. Now, think about this for a moment, an outsider (I'm one to talk) simply created a login name and password, then came onto the off-topic forums and tried to recruit people to be interviewed. You have every right to be upset, confused, skeptical, and even possibly scared. But why? Well, it's because he's broken one of the cardinal rules of research. A researcher shouldn't simply jump in and interview the community he/she is studying. Instead, the researcher has to delve into the community and experience the general feel of said community before interviewing the locals.

Quite right o_q *monocle*

Non of us are upset, we're just wary since there have been a lot of smart spam bots recently.

I'm just gonna quote the parts I want to talk about, since you've provided quite a large backstory.

The reason as to why I'm here is because I'm enrolled in DePaul's 'GAM 208: Virtual Worlds and Online Communities' course, which has students interview members of online communities as its main project. In fact, this site has been chosen for a joint-research project alongside NeoGAF.

We chose this site for a few reasons, mainly because we've seen Zero Punctuation reviews on YouTube. However, neither me nor Westin originally came up with the idea to research this site. The idea was thought up by another student in our class. Unfortunately, said student was assigned to a different group and, by extension, a different site.

Never heard of that sort of research being done in a university. Then again, never went to university.

Sounds pretty damn interesting, actually. I'm jealous :<

To address other concerns, We are looking for about nine people of all races, genders, and social classes to share their experiences with this site. This project is just for a simple grade, and as far as I know, there is no plan to publish your responses.
In fact, you don't have to participate if you don't want to. And, if you do decide to participate, know that if you feel uncomfortable answering our questions or feel like you're being taken advantage of, you are free to drop out at any time, without penalty. If you answered any questions before dropping out, those answers will not be used. Screen names will be changed to ensure the anonymity of all participants and to make sure they aren't harassed by other members.

This makes me feel a lot better about this, especially the bit in bold.

I wouldn't want any users to get singled out or picked on for saying something in your questionnaire that would seem controversial to the majority. (Had enough of that lately... But I digress)

Although people will probably be interested to see how this prroject turns out, I'd like to ask you and your group not to post your findings in a new thread once it's completed. Obviously, I can be overturned by other Mods and Staff if you want to ask them, I just personally don't think it'd be a good idea.

For the people who participate, if they want to know the results, you can always contact them directly, since you'll have their Skypes.

Since screen names are already posted and it'll be assumed that all participants are 18+,

I wouldn't assume that at all, though... Please double check peoples profiles and their skype profiles if there really is an age limit on this.

Having said all that, if you've got any more questions about the Moderation on this site, I'm pretty much free everyday, so I always respond quickly to PMs (within reason).

Good luck with your project! :]

Tanakh:

Also hi spidymod! <3 U!!!

Sorry it's 5 days late, but hello! I less-than-3 you too! :3

*fwip fwip*

I only know about this class because I'm in it this quarter(Having access to CDM's large online list of classes helps too). However, my professor mentioned a couple of times about a group of students getting WoW accounts just to study a guild. Another student supposedly went to the SomethingAweful forums, but he got booted off because the Mods thought that he was there to 'get help with his homework'.

Wait... 'Other Mods'? *looks at your profile title* Well, I'll be damned! This is possibly the first time I've ever seen a Moderator comment on a forum. Although, I think that makes this forum more legit than GameFAQs, or any given comments section on YouTube.

Actually, there were questions regarding moderation. I simply cut them out to appeal to the other members. I'll PM them to you as soon as possible.

Daystar Clarion:
How would you even do a study about the escapist?

I mean, once you talk about how awesome I am, there's not much left to talk about.

Simple. We ask members if they want to participate, and those who do are asked about their experiences on this site. Trust me, there's plenty to talk about, especially when you're doing HARD SCIENCE!!!

tippy2k2:
Snip

I haven't had much luck as far as scheduling Skype interviews, but I figure more information would still be useful for the study/project, so would you still be willing to answer some questions over PM's?

For anyone else who sees this, if this is your first time seeing this thread, the posts by myself and JourneyManRick attempt to explain the origin/purpose of this study.

If anyone would be willing to answer some questions through PM's, a response in this thread or through a PM would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your consideration.

spark03:

tippy2k2:
Snip

I haven't had much luck as far as scheduling Skype interviews, but I figure more information would still be useful for the study/project, so would you still be willing to answer some questions over PM's?

For anyone else who sees this, if this is your first time seeing this thread, the posts by myself and JourneyManRick attempt to explain the origin/purpose of this study.

If anyone would be willing to answer some questions through PM's, a response in this thread or through a PM would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your consideration.

That would be fine. I will be busy/doing stuff for the next few days but if you just want to PM questions to myself, I shall answer them in the order in which they are received. I'm helping another user out already on a different project and I'd feel bad if I kept putting that one off so you'll have to wait your turn :)

If you PM me a bunch of questions, I could get you answers by Saturday. Or if you'd rather, I can just answer the questions you posed earlier (Post #35) in the thread, whatever's easier.

JourneyManRick:

Hafrael:

JourneyManRick:
snip

While those are good answers, unfortunately I can't accept them on this thread. If you read the entire post, you notice that I mentioned that members who want to participate can request times for their interviews, rather than just posting them outright. Sorry, I'm kind of a stickler for protocols.

On second thought... I might actually be able to use these. I know it's not protocol, but these are really good answers. You wouldn't mind if I used these, did you?

Hello once again. This is your JourneyMan speaking and the project is over. A HUGE 'Thank You' to everyone who participated. Keep it classy, Escapists!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked