Fighting and Killing in Dreams

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, we've had a discussion here about being killed in dreams but have we had one about fighting and killing in dreams? You know the ones, where your mind hands you an MP7 and tells you shoot those guys, or when it says, "cut that beared guy's throat with this X-ACTO knife." Yes those were actual dreams I had. Just last night, even, I had a dream that I was in some kind of Monster Hunter game that was part rpg, part rts, and part musical (perplexingly). Yes, while charging up a hill to some devil-like creature's lair me and the army with me were singing, though I don't remember exactly what. So, what do you think of dreams like this and have you had any such dreams?

I've dreamed of fighting before. Either scary nightmare fighting-for-your-life situations or straight up dominance fantasies.

Don't think I've ever killed someone in a dream though.

Funny you post this. Just last night I had a dream where I was in a Hunger Games-esque situation being chased through a mountain town by "careers" who wanted to stab me with swords. It was one of those hyper realistic dreams. Scary as hell. I don't think I've ever felt fear like that in real life and if that's what it's really like to be in a situation like that, I never want to actually experience that.

That being said, I ended up having to kill a number of them and it was surprisingly easy knowing that they were trying to do the same to me and having the feelings of helplessness and terror when fighting someone with a blade. The idea of being sliced or stabbed in that situation was horrifying. It still is.

My favorite "kill dreams" are the ones with superpowers.
Often mixtures of different cartoons, comics, manga, games etc where you weild one or a few superpowers and fight in tournaments or something. Most awesome battlesequences my mind can create when sleeping :D

I remember a dream where i was a vampire like creature, pretty heavilly inspired by World of Darkness stuff back when it was popular, killed plenty of creature who seemed to be vivicitude created creature in that dream

Depending on my stress level my dreams are either night terrors which I don't remember or lucid dreams which are awesome because I know its a dream and can control it. Rarely do I have non-lucid or non-night terror dreams. The ones that freak me out are the prophetic dreams which generally seem to happen in real life within a week of dreaming them. Sadly the ones where I learn the secret of DBZ flight have proven to not be prophetic in the slightest.
Killing and fighting in dreams? Few and far between, never died in a dream but had plenty of fights, one vividly recalls a large body count after an intense rage fueled brawl. I think that was after the first time I watched Fight Club while under the influence of hallucinogens.

I remember having a dream once in which I was fighting a huge guy and was losing horribly. It got to the point where the guy had grabbed me by the neck with one hand and was strangling me. In a fit of desperation I grabbed my pocket knife out of my pocket, flicked it open(the knives I have can be opened one handed with the flick of a wrist), and stabbed him right in the throat.

I woke up after that in a cold sweat with my heart pounding. The dream felt so real that when I first woke up, I thought that I had actually killed someone. That's not the only dream I've had like that, but it's one of the most recent.

piinyouri:
Ive never had any dreams where I killed anything.
It's always me running away from (and failing gradually, because nightmares) something or being killed by something. Usually at that point I wake up.

I do not like those dreams.

I can relate.

I've had dreams(and still do quite frequently) where I've been caught in nuclear explosions.

Yeah... those aren't fun. It's amazing how real a dream can be to the point where you can actually feel what you would perceive as the worst possible pain imaginable.

It's always me running away from (and failing gradually, because nightmares) something or being killed by something. Usually at that point I wake up.

piinyouri:

I can relate i rarelly remember my dream but one of the few i do i was 7and it was something like that, i was chased by death itself... it was freacking sceary

My favourite "fighting" dreams are ones where I'm killing monsters and I'm terrified. Survival Horrors are fun too :) Although most of dreams are just whacked out and I don't understand them.

And there's the sex dreams too. Can't be a teenager without the sex dreams.

I had a good dream once where I had a sword fight with Dracula on a collapsing bridge to a huge-ass Gothic castle that had a lava moat. This was after, at the start of the dream, I 'awoke' to find that Dracula and his vampires had taken over the world. So I formed a resistance group to go and try stop Dracula, so the sword fight was in the middle of a huge ass battle sequence. It was damn coo.

I mean, if a dream seems to be trying to tell you something then it probably is, but dreams can sometimes just be like your brain throwing around hypothetical situations or putting you into the movie you just watched or whatever. It's likely that it means nothing if you're having trouble drawing real world parallels. I've had dreams about killing people and I don't really think much of them. I watch movies/play games/listen to and write music that are aggressive and violent so yeah, naturally that stuff is kicking around in my brain when there's no context of reality.

Unless you have a dream about cutting your mother's skin off and eating it and then wake up with an erection or something like that, a dream about killing is probably meaningless.

I've fought many different things in many ways in my dreams, sometimes its in the way of dragon ball (which is AWESOME, by the way), sometimes it's in a sorta WW2 setting and shit gets tense, downright horrifying at times, I swear I felt that bullet wound when I got hit, and only after that I woke up.
Screw you, brain!

I did have a dream about being in a sorta medieval setting that turned Dark Souls on me half-way, was actually pretty exciting until I started losing.

I don't think I ever dream-killed anybody.

I did rape someone in a dream once though. I... did not like that dream. At all.

I once killed thousands of innocent people in my dreams by being so incredibly wanted and apparently resillient of previous assassination attempts by the US Government that they decided to nuke me.

I remember the exact picture. I was - for my own safety - being transported in a portocabin / container house on the back of a truck. The truck was driving next to a lake and the bank was raised and made out of concrete.

Then I saw the flash, realised what was happening and the shockwave was inbound to destroy everything in it's path. I acted quick, broke free of the cabin (that was guarded by two walls of meat) and took the jump down the lake, which was a drop of about 10 meters.

When I hit the water, I swam down as deeply as I could before the shockwave crashed into the bank and truck, quite possibly destorying them utterly.

The shockwave woke me up. I still wonder what would happen if that would really happen. Would the water instantly cook around me, or still hit my skin and burn me alive? Would the shockwave still cripple me even though I was very deep under water? Would the shockwave travel over the surface of the water, travelling outwards and be relatively gentle that far from the surface?

I often dream about savagely murdering people. Always with my bare hands though... and every time I wake up just as I make the killing blow, only to find myself punching/kicking the wall with full strength. Hurts like hell since the muscles aren't prepared.
Once I even woke up trying to bite my pillow to death. Bloody teeth and everything.

I don't have any rage problems.

OhJohnNo:

I did rape someone in a dream once though. I... did not like that dream. At all.

o_0

I dont think I've ever killed anyone, but I do have fights in dreams, but never with weapons, it's always fisticuffs.

Last night I was actually Batman, but I never got to do any Batman stuff, which was incredibly frustrating. No-one actually acknowledged me as Batman either, but I just felt that I definitely was Batman. I was in some kind of military base the whole time, and then later all my co-workers (yeah I didnt know Batman had co-workers either) went out for drinks, I got lost for a while in the weird town/base place we were in, then ended up taking the ugly co-worker home. Thankfully I woke up at that point.

Wadders:

o_0

I know, right? Never felt more disgusted with myself.

I had a weirdass dream where I was the only law officer, a Sheriff of sorts, in a little town along the cliff at the edge of the world. People in the town were being murdered, and nobody knew who was doing it. Long story short, it was a woman who was in love with me, because she was posessed or driven insane by, well, by some shit that I never got to understand. That's why she was killing people, not why she was in love with me. So I'd confronted her after I found her standing over two bodies, near the cliff. After a brief, horrifyingly realistic scuffle I would up stabbing her in the chest in self defense. I recall vomiting afterward, thinking that this isn't what I'd wanted when I took the job, then just kinda stepped over the ledge. Never been so happy to wake up in my life, I tell ya.

OhJohnNo:

Wadders:

o_0

Well, better than doing it in real life I guess...

Fun fact, you cannot realistically punch in a dream, it's a defense mechanism to prevent your body from hurting itself. It's why when you try it feels like there is no force behind anything. You CAN grab and throw or do other things.

I once had a dream where i thought it would be a good idea to play james bond and grap the AK-47 from a terrorist. However unlike james bond i ended up with a hole in my chest, I did get three of em though. Lesson i learned? Don't try to be James Bond and expect to get away with unharmed.

It happened a few times some years back. I had just begun watching MLP and I kept having dreams where I were killing or hurting the ponies. It stopped after a few weeks though! I can't remember any dreams where I've killed anyone other than those I just mentioned but I'm sure it's happened.

I like my dreams where I run and jump really high and far like an anime character, usually with a sword in hand as I fight off hordes of enemies.

And then sometimes I have rage dreams where I crush someone's skull to gross little bits under my boot. You'd think that would be unsettling, but it's kinda cathartic.

Neither happens very often, but they do happen. I'm somewhat of a lucid dreamer anyways so things get really weird as I can control what happens, and that I remember almost all my dreams vividly.

Most of my lucid dreams are more cerebral.
I have had these kinds of dreams though. However, it's not usually people I'm killing but rather large beastly things. The weird thing is that when I am killing/stalking people in a dream, I'm usually a rather large beastly thing.
Inner daemons I suppose, I got a few.

while I were active in Judo I dreamed every now and then about doing it. But judo fights are really regulated so I dont think that counts

When I was younger, any time I used to dream about being in a fight I'd always be totally ineffectual and do no damage to anyone whatsoever. I've not run in a dream since I discovered all it accomplished was tire my legs out. I lucid dream to the point where I control myself and I'm fully aware of my surroundings, but I appear in the dream with an environment set up without my control and with memories that simply aren't my own.

Recently though, I had a dream about a fight - and I won. I think it's entirely linked to confidence. I used to have no faith in my fighting ability and in my dreams those doubts were made physical, but now I'm far more sure of myself so I think that's why.

Funny timing, this thread started up around the same time I woke up from one.

Basically these mafioso characters were under the impression that I was killing their guys (I wasn't, to my knowledge) and had brought me into a room with several torture devices on the table, telling me that I was going to suffer for what I did.

Unfortunately this was one of those super realistic dreams, so I was absolutely terrified out of my mind. I forget a lot of the middle part of it, but it ended with me strangling one of them to death while I stabbed the other two guards in the room with shards of glass I got from kicking out a window.

Did you know that it actually takes a really long time to strangle someone to death? Because I knew, which means that asleep me knew as well.
A solid two minutes of just strangling the life out of her was not a grand time.

I used to have night terrors as a child that would leave me in such a bad state that I'd be weeping long after I woke up from the traumas in my dreams. I eventually developed lucid dreaming as a coping technique and became able to control great swaths of the content in my dreams. To this day, if I have a dream that starts out like it's supposed to be a nightmare, such as zombies eating people, giant monsters, war zones, ect, I instantly become impervious to harm and grant myself whatever powers I need. This has led to a lot of killing and other even less savory violent/sexual fantasy fulfillment in my dreams. I work through a lot of stress this way.

Every so often I dream of a zombie apocalypse, and I go around with either a handgun, or my hands pointed into a gun shape, and instead of actually shooting a bullet, I'll just say "Bang".

Every single shot, just "Bang." "Bang."

Yet somehow it kills most of the zombies... And when it doesn't work, I get all mad and stop to yell at the zombies for not dying.

"It was totally a headshot! No! You're supposed to be dead!" *ragequit dream*

Just wanted to share that, I find it amusing >.>

OT: I do a lot of fighting in dreams. I'd say 75% of my dreams are action movie style shooting/sword swinging/ general monster hunting. I'm usually protecting people, or just getting my ass kicked. Either way, it's never bothered me, and I enjoy them, so I win either way! :D

Whateveralot:
I once killed thousands of innocent people in my dreams by being so incredibly wanted and apparently resillient of previous assassination attempts by the US Government that they decided to nuke me.

I remember the exact picture. I was - for my own safety - being transported in a portocabin / container house on the back of a truck. The truck was driving next to a lake and the bank was raised and made out of concrete.

Then I saw the flash, realised what was happening and the shockwave was inbound to destroy everything in it's path. I acted quick, broke free of the cabin (that was guarded by two walls of meat) and took the jump down the lake, which was a drop of about 10 meters.

When I hit the water, I swam down as deeply as I could before the shockwave crashed into the bank and truck, quite possibly destorying them utterly.

The shockwave woke me up. I still wonder what would happen if that would really happen. Would the water instantly cook around me, or still hit my skin and burn me alive? Would the shockwave still cripple me even though I was very deep under water? Would the shockwave travel over the surface of the water, travelling outwards and be relatively gentle that far from the surface?

It would really depend on the type of water, the depth of the water, and the kinetic energy of the shockwave. Odds are not good for you though, as when you hit the surface, you still have to deal with the radiation. Really, unless you are a good distance away, you would be better off with the instant death scenario of G-Force shutting your body down.

OT: I have fighting dreams fairly often as I do martial arts, I have also been told that you build most of your muscle memory (neural pathways) while you sleep. To me that seems to imply that your dreams are trying to make sense of the work being done in your brain and body while you sleep. I could be way off, after all people much more intelligent than I can't figure out what dreams are made of, so why should I be able to.

I've had some hilarious dreams in the past that would start out as some unknown horror chasing me around (that part of the dream being terrifying) then those dreams would...well shift. I would be cornered and something in me would snap: I go full-out Kenshiro on the unknown horror; like so:

---

I once had a dream where I was being chased by a large dog...then I jumped on its back, shifted up so that I was sitting on its neck and, began bouncing in a desperate bid to snap the things neck and thus eliminate the thread. This turned into my bouncing on the dog as though it was a freaking spring, at times my jumps would launch me 10's of meters into the air.

Generally when my dreams go violent, I almost never use guns. The few times that I do, they're horribly ineffectual against my threats. Likewise, I'm never shot in a dream no matter how close my assailant may be. It's like guns in my dreams are the same ones used by Dante and wos'-is-name from Too Human.

OhJohnNo:

Wadders:

o_0

Relax, people here are telling how awesome is to fight and kill IN DREAMS. Criminal power fantasies not made real.

Also some parts of your mind are just plain animalistic. But you also have reason, conscience, empathy, etc to balance things out.

That said I have fought my share of monsters in dreams. Zombies, vampires, Nemesis (from Resident Evil 3, managed to beat him up) a killer cat...

Also I dreamed once that I was a giant spider and fought the Masters of the Universe.

Winnosh:
Fun fact, you cannot realistically punch in a dream, it's a defense mechanism to prevent your body from hurting itself. It's why when you try it feels like there is no force behind anything. You CAN grab and throw or do other things.

That makes sense, I have dreams about fighting people sometimes and I can be punching away and not hurting the person in anyway, so in a panic I usually end up suplexing them like I'm in a wrestling match. That seems to work.

Sometimes I randomly start punching people for no reason and the person I'm punching ends up acting with complete apathy towards my violence.

sky14kemea:
Every so often I dream of a zombie apocalypse, and I go around with either a handgun, or my hands pointed into a gun shape, and instead of actually shooting a bullet, I'll just say "Bang".

Every single shot, just "Bang." "Bang."

Yet somehow it kills most of the zombies... And when it doesn't work, I get all mad and stop to yell at the zombies for not dying.

"It was totally a headshot! No! You're supposed to be dead!" *ragequit dream*

Just wanted to share that, I find it amusing >.>

I had that dream years ago, I was about 18 at the time and working in a bar (which is legal in the UK) and I had a dream that all the customers were alien brain parasite controlled zombies and I had to keep shooting them which wasn't really working, running out of ammo and running around trying to find some more. Not sure how dream ended, it was a long time ago.

Catfood220:

I had that dream years ago, I was about 18 at the time and working in a bar (which is legal in the UK) and I had a dream that all the customers were alien brain parasite controlled zombies and I had to keep shooting them which wasn't really working, running out of ammo and running around trying to find some more. Not sure how dream ended, it was a long time ago.

I like how you felt the need to mention that your dream was following the legal alcohol serving laws. =P

I feel I should insert a joke about all customers being alien zombies, but I've never actually worked as a bartender. D:

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked