Rampant nerd fanboyism you want to beat with a stick.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Yeah, I got nothing against it when nerds go gaga over some movie/comic/video game or of its characters. But sometimes, it goes too far.

You're clusterfucked with it on every direction, and the fans keep pouring in... not STFU and giving it a moments rest.

It can even go so far that you'd have an entire generation that grows up infatuated with a character that it gets the attention of the creator or creative team, and makes them shifts gears to where a lot more attention is focused on that one character in the sequels or - for the matter I'm thinking about - prequels.

Yeah, I'm talking about Boba Fett. Originally, he was suppose to have died in the Sarrlak pit. Originally, he was suppose to be a bit of a bumbling idiot (obvious in RoJ - obvious). But 10 billion screaming fans made the SW EU writing team bring him back. Now, that's cool. But then they brought him back in the prequels, and it was his father, and the entire clone wars was about this one guy and the a billion of his clones, and...

-_-

You know what, Boba Fett wasn't that interesting. He was cool... but, this was just going too far... you know?

It gets to a point where the fanboys gooshes so much over one damn thing that eventually, the stuff that people come up with next doesn't even make a lick of sense... and you can only explain it as fan service:

I mean... wtf? I'm not saying the dude can't be a gun totting badass. But a lightsaber? He's not a Jedi... stop it already!
Stop!
STOP!

Anyways, I don't want to just talk about that character there. So what examples have you seen that pretty much fit this... fanboyism going so far as to have an effect like this... or simply just pissing you off.

^^ Same ^^ but also with Darth Maul. He had zero character but the fact that he had a double bladed lightsaber ingrained him into the minds of fans as being badass.

In general I just dislike side characters that get more focus than the main characters of any story, like Jack Sparrow from PotC and Kamina from Gurren Lagann (not within the show mind you, he was smartly used in a very effective manner, but fans latch onto him like there's no tomorrow).

My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.

Fanboys and girls don't bother me in the slightest. They have a positive emotion about something that they enjoy. If they like it so much they want to share it with other people, I am not going to be bothered about that.

People who mock others for not liking the same thing, or criticise other things for "not being as good" are not being "fanboys/girls", they are just being tools. It's possible to be an extreme fan of something without being an idiot about it. They are not synonymous.

"Haters" on the other hand, are something that piss me off, because they are the kind of person who just go out of their way to make other people unhappy. If somebody doesn't like something, that's entirely their business, but when you get people who go into a thread called "What is your favourite character in [insert series here]?" and you get somebody who goes into that discussion purely to say something like "None, [insert series here sucks]", that's the kind of person who deserves to be beaten with a stick.

Lil devils x:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.

Well it'd help if you didn't watch a couple and dismiss the entire medium.

Why do I assume this?

- The art isn't good.
- The high pitched whiny emo characters.
- The story lines are crap.

I think pretty much anybody who watches anime could think of at least half a dozen shows where this is true. Easily, as there is a lot of crap out there. But to dismiss all of it on these three things? That's just ridiculous. It's like dismissing an entire genre of music because the examples of them in the charts suck.

I didn't like it at first either, because my experience with it was things such as Yu-Gi-Oh! and other such shows aimed at children, but there are plenty of shows that are nothing like that.

Legion:
Fanboys and girls don't bother me in the slightest. They have a positive emotion about something that they enjoy. If they like it so much they want to share it with other people, I am not going to be bothered about that.

People who mock people for not liking something, or hate on other things because it isn't the thing they like are not being "fanboys/girls", they are just being tools. It's possible to be an extreme fan of something without being an idiot about it. They are not synonymous.

"Haters" on the other hand, are something that piss me off, because they are the kind of person who just go out of their way to make other people unhappy. If somebody doesn't like something, that's entirely their business, but when you get people who go into a thread called "What is your favourite character in [insert series here]?" and you get somebody who goes into that discussion purely to say something like "None, [insert series here sucks]", that's the kind of person who deserves to be beaten with a stick.

Lil devils x:

Well it'd help if you didn't watch a couple and dismiss the entire medium.

Why do I assume this?

- The art isn't good.
- The high pitched whiny emo characters.
- The story lines are crap.

I think pretty much anybody who watches anime could think of at least half a dozen shows where this is true. Easily, as there is a lot of crap out there. But to dismiss all of it on these three things? That's just ridiculous.

I didn't like it at first either, because my experience with it was things such as Yu-Gi-Oh! and other such shows aimed at children, but there are plenty of shows that are nothing like that.

LOL! I have watched MANY because people keep trying to tell me it is good. Now the old kung fu movies, those are funny, but this anime garbage is not. I have watched many styeles, and yes some are more tolerable than others, but I still can't imagine actually enjoying it. Yes, some of the art takes more skill than others, but still not what I consider to be "good". I dismiss it because I find it irritating. Yes, the overwhelming majority of the market is filled with emo eyed characters with big heads, but then again, I don't like the DC comics style artwork either. Sure A cartoon with characters like this doesn't take skill:

but I would still find that more pleasant to look at than what I see on the market in regards to anime.
when I google " anime"
http://www.google.com/search?q=anime&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=QHaeUd72O4G69gTDwYDgBA&biw=1280&bih=855&sei=Q3aeUfubKoyE8ASmq4GADQ
I get an entire page filled with exactly what I find irritating. People still try to convince me " but it isn't all bad" and then send me something I think it terrible. I don't think I will ever understand why they like it. But to each their own I guess.

Lil devils x:
*snip*

This thread wasn't about things you don't like, it's about fanboyism you don't like. But 90% of what you have written in your two posts has been about how anime sucks, which is an opinion you are entitled to, but it has nothing to do with the actual topic.

Literally, the only on-topic part was your first line in the first reply, and no explanation as to why you find them annoying.

You should also find a much smaller image or spoiler tag it, as the size of it is ridiculous.

Legion:

Eh...

That's not really the only spectrum of 'fanboyism'. You'd probably label them under "tools" or possibly "haters" or some combination of the two, but there are plenty of people who consider themselves the only 'true' fans of something and thus hate anything remotely related to it that isn't exactly the same as what they liked and discount the words of people who liked both.

To clarify, just look at Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Trek, Star Wars, Final Fantasy, any Bioware game, DmC, M*A*S*H, any Blizzard game... you hopefully get the picture.

Even when people are fans of the same thing, if they like [Thing] for different reasons there's always the chance they'll start arguing about it, even though they both like the overall package it comes in.

I don't really like extreme fanboyism either way. The people who try shoving something in your face as "the best thing ever" are overbearing and annoying, however rare they might be, and the people who irrationally hate things for the most ridiculous reasons just come across as petty and pedantic.

But if I had to pick something specific, I'd go with the Star Wars or Diablo fandoms. I've consoled myself with ignoring anything involving the Sonic or Bioware fanbases and trying to avoid bringing up the fact that I like both, and the complaints surrounding Abrams' Star Trek films mostly feel silly or are legitimate complaints wrapped in silly coating. But over a decade later, you still can't talk about Star Wars films without people going off about how terrible the prequels were and/or linking that damn RedLetterMedia review. And as bad as this place is when it comes to Diablo III, the Battle.net forums are somehow even worse.

Legion:

Lil devils x:
*snip*

But this thread wasn't about things you don't like, it's about fanboyism you don't like. But 90% of what you have written in your two posts has been about how anime sucks, which is an opinion you are entitled to, but it has nothing to do with the actual topic.#

Literally, the only part was your first line in the first reply, and no explanation as to why you find them annoying.

Well, yes, it does pertain to the topic because the issue is fanboism, and my issue with fanboism with anime is they KEEP trying to convince me that I will like it. I don't like it, and think it completely sucks, but yet everyone keeps trying to say well" you haven't seen this yet" like it is somehow impossible that I truly don't like it. So yes, the rampant fanboism for anime I would like to beat with a stick because:
1) It is EVERWHERE I go. My eyes hurt from the Anime.
2) People keep assuming that it is just other types of anime that are bad and theirs is the awesome of awesomeness.
3) If you really don't like Anime then they think you are just a negative or pessimistic person, when that is far from true either. I am a very happy person, just anime makes me want to vomit. Like the feeling you get when you step in dog poo.

Ok, people who fucking WORSHIP the main character of Persona 3 like he's Mind Jesus or something. He's an unlikable prick and is singlehandedly the WORST thing about the entire game (Including the party AI.) He drags EVERYTHING down, every single other character is amazing (coughAigiscoughChidori/Junpeicoughcough) but he just does not give a single fuck about anything. His conversation options are without fail at least twice as dickish than the choice I would actually like to make. ALL. GAME. LONG.

Social Link of the Day: "Wanna help me?"

ME: "Yeah sure, sounds fun!"

Choices: "Ehh i guess..."

"Ehh do I really have to?"

"Fuck off, you shit!"

?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Lol free Misato lol"

^fans

No, fuck off. He can stay sealing Nyx forever as far as i'm concerned. The twat.

Gatx:
^^ Same ^^ but also with Darth Maul. He had zero character but the fact that he had a double bladed lightsaber ingrained him into the minds of fans as being badass.

In general I just dislike side characters that get more focus than the main characters of any story, like Jack Sparrow from PotC and Kamina from Gurren Lagann (not within the show mind you, he was smartly used in a very effective manner, but fans latch onto him like there's no tomorrow).

Yeah if I see ONE more fanfic where someone fangasms over

I will rage. That's just so far off the point of the anime, the entire thing is about SIMON's growth as a character, Kamina was just a good starting comparison. He is the man Simon wants to be and eventually surpasses.

Yet I STILL cry during Episode 8 whenever I rewatch TTGL... Fucking Gainex and their writing.

Some bronies. Not all of them, mind you, I'm a brony myself, just the ones who write fanfiction. And not all of those who write fanfiction, mind you, jsut the ones who write what's known as fix-fics. To elaborate: I once found a really long fanfic that its creator had written just to explain why, in one episode, the ponies had acted in a way that he considered out of character. Look, it's just a cartoon. A good one, yeah, but if you need to write page after page after page just to explain why Twilight Sparkle and pals weren't acting the way you think they would have then you should really turn off the TV for a while.

The Wykydtron:

"Fuck off, you shit!"

?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh boy, I remembered event with Kou in Persona 4. He asks you to help him clean up gym or something, and the responses are
"Help Kou"
"Be an ass and leave"
Still, my opinion of Yu fully formed only after Persona 4: Animation, so, I'll wait for Persona 3 movie to form mine of Minato (or whatever the hell his new name is)

OT: I hate it when fan(boys) bash on other fandoms for one reason or another, but fail to see that their object of worship is no better in these respects. *coughNintendofanboyscoughDED*

Nothing really. I got over not liking what other people like a while ago. Just let 'em get on with it.

When the last episode of Doctor Who was broadcast, sectors of the interwebs were flooded with proclamations of, "Best episode ever!"

It wasn't. It didn't many any goddamn sense. The villain's plot was nonsensical and self-defeating, and it introduced new mechanics constantly, with little purpose other than to resolve the episode. The episode, and the show, know not the meaning of dramatic tension. Doctor Who has become the most Deus Ex Machina-ey show I've ever seen. And, OT, the loyalty to it is unbreakable.

I know why it is, too. It's Tennant, and to a lesser extent, Smith, along with how the writers have used them. They've turned it into a beauty contest. Plot, pacing and subtlety have been thrown out of the window in pursuit of shameless sexual fanservice. Doctor Who is not Science Fiction anymore, because the Sci-Fi plotline is of tertiary importance, behind childish, soap-opera drama and attempts to romanticize the Doctor himself. If you doubt this last part, ask yourself how likely it is that The Doctor will travel solely with a male companion, or an elderly companion? The likelihood is negligible.

Almost every scientific statement, explanation or rationalisation, does not hold up to scrutiny, and the writers no longer care. They know they don't have to. They know the writing has only to be wafer-thin; a veneer, almost purely vestigial at this point, to give Matt Smith a reason to look chic and appeal to the false-geek crowd. This is not a popularisation of science fiction- it is a hijacking.

Bullshit.

Lil devils x:

Legion:

Lil devils x:
*snip*

But this thread wasn't about things you don't like, it's about fanboyism you don't like. But 90% of what you have written in your two posts has been about how anime sucks, which is an opinion you are entitled to, but it has nothing to do with the actual topic.#

Literally, the only part was your first line in the first reply, and no explanation as to why you find them annoying.

Well, yes, it does pertain to the topic because the issue is fanboism, and my issue with fanboism with anime is they KEEP trying to convince me that I will like it. I don't like it, and think it completely sucks, but yet everyone keeps trying to say well" you haven't seen this yet" like it is somehow impossible that I truly don't like it. So yes, the rampant fanboism for anime I would like to beat with a stick because:
1) It is EVERWHERE I go. My eyes hurt from the Anime.
2) People keep assuming that it is just other types of anime that are bad and theirs is the awesome of awesomeness.
3) If you really don't like Anime then they think you are just a negative or pessimistic person, when that is far from true either. I am a very happy person, just anime makes me want to vomit. Like the feeling you get when you step in dog poo.

I had a similar problem with anime. Except for I didn't watch it if I didn't want to and everything worked out fine. Maybe if you didn't dismiss the entire genre as irritating garbage people wouldn't be so pushy.

OT: I'm going to go with the 'you're not a fan unless' fanboys. As far as I'm concerned, to be a fan you have to enjoy and be enthusiastic about something. Watching every episode, or reading the expanded universe, or cosplaying as a character is something you do as a fan, because you're a fan. It doesn't encourage people to meet your criteria, it just encourages them to think you're a bit of a prick. This annoyance goes doubly so to "You're not a fan of *something* if you like *some other thing*. Believe it or not I can keep up with 3, maybe even 4 different fandoms at the same time. Even the really big ones.

Silvanus:
When the last episode of Doctor Who was broadcast, sectors of the interwebs were flooded with proclamations of, "Best episode ever!"

It wasn't. It didn't many any goddamn sense. The villain's plot was nonsensical and self-defeating, and it introduced new mechanics constantly, with little purpose other than to resolve the episode. The episode, and the show, know not the meaning of dramatic tension. Doctor Who has become the most Deus Ex Machina-ey show I've ever seen. And, OT, the loyalty to it is unbreakable.

I know why it is, too. It's Tennant, and to a lesser extent, Smith, along with how the writers have used them. They've turned it into a beauty contest. Plot, pacing and subtlety have been thrown out of the window in pursuit of shameless sexual fanservice. Doctor Who is not Science Fiction anymore, because the Sci-Fi plotline is of tertiary importance, behind childish, soap-opera drama and attempts to romanticize the Doctor himself. If you doubt this last part, ask yourself how likely it is that The Doctor will travel solely with a male companion, or an elderly companion? The likelihood is negligible.

Almost every scientific statement, explanation or rationalisation, does not hold up to scrutiny, and the writers no longer care. They know they don't have to. They know the writing has only to be wafer-thin; a veneer, almost purely vestigial at this point, to give Matt Smith a reason to look chic and appeal to the false-geek crowd. This is not a popularisation of science fiction- it is a hijacking.

In the last episode, the apparent glorious renaissance, Moffatt introduced the idea that when a time-traveler dies, he leaves behind a kind of "scar-tissue" representing his meddling, all the changes he has made throughout his life. The Doctor, of course, has won countless victories against various alien threats, so the villainous Great Intelligence plans to step into the timey-wimey scar-tissue and rewrite his past, turning all his past victories into defeats. That, as the basis for an episode, was pretty good. It introduced new mechanics, but they're feasible within the universe we're given.

However, the Great Intelligence (who has killed himself to accomplish this feat) leaves the timey-wimey-rewritey-stuff in a room full of the Doctor's allies. They can just do the exact same thing, and undo the damage. After a little bit of hand-wringing and worried expression, Amy steps into the scar and undoes everything the Intelligence did. Every victory of the Doctor's is a victory again. Time is saved.

But, wait! The Great Intelligence died to rewrite all that stuff... surely Amy must be giving her life up, too? Well, that's all right, says Moffatt. We can just introduce a new mechanic at the last minute! The Doctor can just step into the breach with immunity, save her, and they can both leave just fine! Perfect! All wrapped up with a neat little bow!

...And the internet goes wild. Genius! Brilliant! Such high stakes, wow!

Bullshit.

For me its Doctor Who but I really like the show. What i can't stand is the rampant hate on Moffet by old school fans. Guys hes not that bad of a writer, if you don't like the changes don't watch the show. He certainly doesn't to die for it .

Fanboyism doesn't bother me, but haters do.

I can do it too! Just tell me what your interests are, and I'll tell you exactly why what you enjoy is stupid, and why you're stupid for partaking in it.

IllumInaTIma:
(or whatever the hell his new name is)

"Makoto Yuki"
Woo.
Also the name of some asian porn star too surprisingly.

On that topic, Persona 4 fanboys. Now I love Persona 4, I think it's one of the best games ever made. But fuck me are the fans annoying. We get it, you like the game, just... FUCK. Stop. Seriously.

Lil devils x:

Some of the stories are actually pretty good, like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. But I agree, the archetypes in Anime tend to be so blatant that it is embarrassing. Actually, lack of subtlety is something I notice about a lot of Japanese pop-culture. Take JRPGs for instance. They always have the same characters over and over again, just with a new paint job slathered on like neon-colored Max Factor, and the storylines are silly to me, for the most part.

I can't understand the rampant fanboyism, either. Then again, most of the people I know who are all into Anime tend to be really immature. I always figure that if they ever mature to the point that they can recognize the archetypal forms of Anime, they will run from it so fast that the ground will ignite.

Hasn't happened yet, though.

Legion:

People who mock others for not liking the same thing, or criticise other things for "not being as good" are not being "fanboys/girls", they are just being tools. It's possible to be an extreme fan of something without being an idiot about it. They are not synonymous.

My thoughts exactly.

Fans are fans. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes when some fans try desperately to get others to like what they like. But that's just misguided enthusiasm. It's certainly not worth malice.

But the haters...

Seriously, fuck those guys. I don't care how annoying a fan is, they will never be as annoying or dickish as the person who makes a point of trying to ruin someones day simply because that someone likes something. If a person starts a thread to gush about something they like; that you don't like; just fucking ignore it. You don't need to go in and post shit like, "You're all dumb. That thing you love is overrated and bad."

Even worse is how prevalent these kinds of people are becoming around here. Worse still is that they all act like they're the paragons of the forum. Like they're the saviors of sanctity and intelligence of the Escapist.

It's messiah complex to the letter.

So annoying.

Not hating per se, more along the lines of not understanding at all - Yaoi girls. I just don't get it.

I do deeply dislike Hollywwod for being in love with Meryl Streep and Woody Allen. If that's not fanboyism, I don't know what is.

The Boba Fett one op mentioned is really the only one I can think of. Other than Nintendo fanboyism. Its not that Nintendo is a bad company, but people will defend Nintendo for everything they do, like Nintendo can do no wrong. Or someone will bring up things Nintendo has done in the past as an excuse for things they do now (like a certain someone who brings up Ninty inventing analog sticks as defense for waggle sticks and tablet controllers not appealing to people)[1]

excalipoor:
I can do it too! Just tell me what your interests are, and I'll tell you exactly why what you enjoy is stupid, and why you're stupid for partaking in it.

Vigormortis:

Legion:

My thoughts exactly.

Fans are fans. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes when some fans try desperately to get others to like what they like. But that's just misguided enthusiasm. It's certainly not worth malice.

But the haters...

Seriously, fuck those guys. I don't care how annoying a fan is, they will never be as annoying or dickish as the person who makes a point of trying to ruin someones day simply because that someone likes something. If a person starts a thread to gush about something they like; that you don't like; just fucking ignore it. You don't need to go in and post shit like, "You're all dumb. ***** is overrated and bad."

Even worse is how prevalent these kinds of people are becoming around here. Worse still is that they all act like they're the paragons of the forum. Like they're the saviors of sanctity and intelligence of the Escapist.

So annoying.

This times infinity. Somewhere along the line, a lot of people thought it would be fun to become edgy high class gamers who dismiss popular games for purely objective reasons just because something's popular. Like a week after Bioshock Infinity came out there were people ready to shout about how "overrated" it was and point out its flaws like they were the Gordon fucking Ramsay of video games. There are a lot things I don't like, I'll never tell someone to stop liking them because it implies the pants-on-head-retarded idea that people don't understand when they're having fun. Messiah complex indeed

[1] I'm not saying people can't like Wiimotes and tablet controllers, but insisting other people should like them is silly

Since the majority of your examples seem to be Boba Fett related, I'll bite. I totally agree with you on this one. Boba Fett is over-used and frankly not important to canon. The back-story in the prequels is absolutely fan service and as for pretty much the entirety of the EU of Star Wars I put it on the same shelf as I would as typical internet fan fiction.

That being said the masses seem to love this shit and people need things to distract them from the pointlessness of everyday life, so go nuts.

PoolCleaningRobot:
The Boba Fett one op mentioned is really the only one I can think of. Other than Nintendo fanboyism. Its not that Nintendo is a bad company, but people will defend Nintendo for everything they do, like Nintendo can do no wrong. Or someone will bring up things Nintendo has done in the past as an excuse for things they do now (like a certain someone who brings up Ninty inventing analog sticks as defense for waggle sticks and tablet controllers not appealing to people)

excalipoor:

Vigormortis:

Legion:

My thoughts exactly.

But the haters...

Seriously, fuck those guys. I don't care how annoying a fan is, they will never be as annoying or dickish as the person who makes a point of trying to ruin someones day simply because that someone likes something. If a person starts a thread to gush about something they like; that you don't like; just fucking ignore it. You don't need to go in and post shit like, "You're all dumb. ***** is overrated and bad."

So annoying.

This times infinity. Somewhere along the line, a lot of people thought it would be fun to become edgy high class gamers who dismiss popular games for purely objective reasons just because something's popular. Like a week after Bioshock Infinity came out there were people ready to shout about how "overrated" it was and point out its flaws like they were the Gordon fucking Ramsay of video games. There are a lot things I don't like, I'll never tell someone to stop liking them because it implies the pants-on-head-retarded idea that people don't understand when they're having fun. Messiah complex indeed

Don't mind if I do jump on the bandwagon. It often pains me to see that my favourite franchises comes with their own set of haters who almost make me feel bad for my own tastes.

"Oh you like overrated thing. You must be a fanboy."
"Why would you play X when there is Y. It makes no sense to my infinitely superior intellect."
"That game hasn't aged well at all. It is not like tech has improved over the years. Developers were talentless hacks"
"I will drop a inflammatory comment here about the fanboys and their fanatism in an unrelated topic witohut a hint of irony"
"What do you mean I don't have to play and like every popular thing?"

You get the idea.

Fanboys who won't hear a word against the precious object of their adoration annoy me more than any other, and Nintendo fanboys are among the worst.

Look, I think most of us would agree that Nintendo are good at making games. I have never played a Nintendo game that wasn't fun and reasonably solid from a technical standpoint. I also agree that, going on the basis of sales alone, the Wii was a runaway success.

That being said, they absolutely are over-reliant on their existing IP's, there is simply no reason why we need more than eight instances of Mario Party, or seven Mario Karts; there just isn't. The usual fanboy reaction to this is, 'well no one is forcing you to play them, we enjoy them, so what's it got to do with you?'

Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel an instant shot of joy the minute I play a new Mario game, but here's the thing: I've been on this adventure with Mario so many times now, that the joy I feel is heavily propped up by nostalgia; after a while I completely lose interest in rescuing Peach for the umpteenth time; I lose interest in gathering the Triforce and other relevant macguffins with Link; I lose interest in losing all of Samus' abilities and slowly regaining them.

At no point did these games ever stop being fun or well made --which is what separates Nintendo from companies like Capcom, who just seem determined to run as many of their franchises into the ground as they possibly can-- but I can only do the same thing so many times.

As I stated previously, Nintendo know how to make fun games, but I want to see them use those years of expertise to bring out brand new characters that can stand alongside their most famous IP's. Hell, even taking an old character and putting them in a completely new setting works for me; I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime and, to an extent, Wind Waker because they discarded established conventions and took a tired series/characters in an entirely different direction.

Of course, the fanboys whined at many of those changes: I think the unreserved hatred and bile the cel-shaded Zelda received from the very first screenshots was my first experience of just how entitled and fickle a lot of fanboys are. In a sense, I suppose I should lay more of the blame at their feet than Nintendo themselves for why they never try to really shake things up, anymore.

Nintendo fanboys will dismiss most, if not all, of this and say I just hate on Nintendo because they're an easy target, despite the fact I don't believe I've ever once said I hate Nintendo: I just know what they're capable of and wish they would still challenge themselves instead of resting on their laurels or focusing on new controllers instead of new IP.

I'll have to agree with several others in the thread and say fanboys/fangirls don't bug me. I've got my things I enjoy and I'll let others have their things. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Well, except Twilight fans during the series' golden era. Fans kept harassing me about the series (probably has something to do with me bearing a passing resemblance to Edward :/ ). It got to the point where I started actively slamming the series out of constant annoyance. But that hasn't been for a while, so I'm fine.

I've been told I'm not a 'real gamer' because I don't play call of duty. You know apart from owning a console from every generation since the atari 2600 and building my own pc.

I'm just a big fake fakey pants.

It also annoys me if you play all kinds of games you are some sort of Blonsky. I like Animal Crossing and the Sims but I also love games like Bioshock or Left for Dead. People are so fucking weird sometimes.

I guess that's what gets on my nerves people who think if you like one thing you can't like another.

Portal Fanboys.

Yes, I played both. Thought the 2nd one was better than the first. And I'll admit I even had fun. They were both fun, 4 hour long distractions. But apparently they're supposed to be God Incarnate or something. The hype surrounding Portal almost ruined the experience for me. Luckily, Wheatley was there to redeem it.

Gatx:

I'm honestly glad in the case of Jack Sparrow that they decided to focus on him more (both fans and the studio). Keira Knightely can't act her way out of a paper bag and Orlando Bloom is even worse.

However, Darth Maul and Boba Fett have -zero- personality, and that's where the difference lies. At least Jack Sparrow had a wild and outrageous personality. He, along with Geoffrey Rush, made that movie. There were plenty of legitimate reasons to love Jack Sparrow over the other lame characters and that's just not the same for Darth Maul and Boba Fett. Other than 'looking' cool, there was nothing else to them, but hey, at least in Darth Maul's case, it was slightly justified since the rest of the characters had as much personality as he did anyways.

I have to point out why Boba Fett is cool. He is the one man in the Star Wars universe who isn't afraid of Darth Vader (well other than the Emperor). He wants money if Solo dies, Vader goes "yes sir!". For that reason Fett was awesome. I will agree that the prequel's weren't awesome. Having all the clones be clones of Jango Fett was far less than awesome, well far less than adequate or even acceptable really. So yeah too much fan service there, but he wasn't just a dude who had some bad luck in his final scene.

OT: I get sick of Dark Souls apologists. I'd like to say fans but a very vocal minority (I was going to say a lot but then I realized it probably wasn't even an appreciable percentage) come off as apologists more than anything else.

EDIT: Oh and Valve fanboys. I get it, Half Life was awesome, I loved it, it came out in 1998. Now Valve is a company that mainly makes money off of adding DRM to other companies games. Woo.

FFVII fanboyism. The game is good but come the fuck on people...

DavidBowieNoReally:

I mean... wtf? I'm not saying the dude can't be a gun totting badass. But a lightsaber? He's not a Jedi... stop it already!
Stop!
STOP!

Anyways, I don't want to just talk about that character there. So what examples have you seen that pretty much fit this... fanboyism going so far as to have an effect like this... or simply just pissing you off.

Two characters, Boba Fett and Darth Maul are kind of special cases for this sort of thing. And there actually is a reason why the fans are so worked up over them.

Imagine yourself back in the dark days of 1978. You are 11 going on 12. You have just seen a movie that literally changed your world. For the first time ever you had been shown an entire truly believable world that could not ever exist. But yet it was real at the same time. Prior SciFi or genre films were basically stage plays. Think Wizard of Oz or Forbidden Planet. Good stories, but you knew they were just acting on a stage. Or they were real world stories with a little scifi stuff thrown in. But Star Wars! I don't think words can adequately describe how it hit our little developing minds.

And remember, back then it was simply Star Wars. No "A New Hope", no Episode IV. Just Star Wars. We had no hope, expectation or even the slightest idea that we would ever see anything like this again. We certainly didn't expect another Star Wars movie. Outsideof James Bond, sequels just did not happen. At least not for anything we liked. But surprise of surpises, we got toys. Amazing toys. Wonderful toys. And our little minds exploded yet again.

And then came the kicker. If we cut out the box codes from the toys, and mailed in enough of them, they would send us an extra special super secret action figure. A new character... FROM THE NEXT STAR WARS MOVIE!!! This was how we found out there would be more. And sure enough a few months later we all got the boxes with this neat new armored guy. We knew he was Boba Fett and that he was a Bounty Hunter. That's it. But he was the first glance we got of the expanding greater Star Wars Universe. He had armor and a jet pack and rockets and lasers and a wrist thingy. Oh the stories we made up and played out in the year or two waiting on Empire. We didn't realize that in George Lucas's eyes Boba Fett was just a throwaway background character. But to us he was Star wars continued. He was what comes next. He was the coolest thing ever. And we were never able to quite shake that. In spite of his horrible appearances in Empire and Jedi.

And then fast forward to 1997-8. We are now older. Moving into our 30's. And word comes that George has returned to bring us more Star Wars. A whole new Trilogy. We quivered in anticipation. And once again they leaked out one character for us to speculate on and drool over. Darth Maul. A SITH! With a double bladed lightsaber. OMG the things that went through our minds. The stories we imagined. The coolness of his look. The red and black Kabuki designs. We were in love with him long before The Phantom Menace ever finished principle photography. And even when we saw the movie. And saw that he was once again a Lucas throwaway character, we never quite lost that interest and fascination with him.

Wild Icelandic Zigzagoon appeared!

Anime and manga fanboyism in general. Whenever I look at it just makes me want to punch something.

Also Star Wars. Yeah, the first 3 movies were really fun to watch. But sometimes my friends back home go absolutely freaking apeshit over new Star Wars stuff. Like for example, one guy said that he wanted to burn down Disney for shutting down Lucas Arts. Sure the fact that they closed down the company was a darn shame, but seriously? Such hatred for a business decision?
It really baffles me sometimes.

Wild Icelandic Zigzagoon ran away

The Wykydtron:
Ok, people who fucking WORSHIP the main character of Persona 3 like he's Mind Jesus or something. He's an unlikable prick and is singlehandedly the WORST thing about the entire game (Including the party AI.) He drags EVERYTHING down, every single other character is amazing (coughAigiscoughChidori/Junpeicoughcough) but he just does not give a single fuck about anything. His conversation options are without fail at least twice as dickish than the choice I would actually like to make. ALL. GAME. LONG.

"Fuck off, you shit!"

?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Lol free Misato lol"

^fans

No, fuck off. He can stay sealing Nyx forever as far as i'm concerned. The twat.

I know Misato was a bit cold at first, but I felt he got more friendly as the game went on. Then again, I haven't played the game in over 2 years, so I can't say for sure. I prefer the P4 protagonist though.

OT: Not fanboys per se, but I'm always annoyed at the type of person who quotes memes in every single place on the internet.

DavidBowieNoReally:
But 10 billion screaming fans made the SW EU writing team bring him back

I don't think that's true considering thats over 3 billion more people that exist...
but yeah totally agreed with OP. Boba fett was a shitty character with an embarrassingly lame cartoon death. Han Solo hits him in the jetpack sending him to his death by complete accident without even knowing he's behind him.

Also bronies. Not for watching the show, I don't care what the hell people watch, but TF2 basically got a manual visual update wherein the theme is "little girl's sticker book" because of them. It's the visual equivalent of walking around in public disruptively screaming "I WATCH A SHOW FOR LITTLE GIRLS." Even personal views of the content aside, it's obnoxious.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked