Rampant nerd fanboyism you want to beat with a stick.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Console/company specific fanboys are irritating to me.

"Xbox/Playstation/Wii rocks and the other 2 I didn't mention suckass!"

These are the same people who justify any anti-consumer practice for their console of choice, including DRM, online passes, etc.

Side-note: I hate the rampant Twilight fanbase. Pretty sure that because I didn't act like "edward the Gimp"...it probably was a factor in breaking up my marriage.

I wish people would stop console v console elitism, console v PC elitism and Mac v Windows elitism. Basically I hate elitism. Your gaming choices don't give you first dibs on being an arsehole.

RTSnab:
Bronies.

Don't really think I need to explain that one, right?

Well, there are a lot of people on this site who like MLP: FiM, so... yes, you do.

Batman.

Now, don't get me wrong, he's pretty cool, but he's not the Chuck Norris style rodent-Jesus that people think of him as.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it always bothers me when I see people casually work fictional slang into statements that are TOTALLY unrelated to whatever thing the slang comes from. You know, like when people say "Gods" instead of "god" (unless you're an actual polytheist, of course) or "everypony" instead of "everybody"...."Brohoof" instead of "brofist"...."Frak" instead of "fuck". Things like that. It's just obnoxious and forced.

RTSnab:
Bronies.

You might considering there are a whole lot on here, in fact, if you don't like them, then this might not be the forum for you.

I'm gonna go totally broad and say that for me, it's gotta be the fanboys that can actually cause harm, or the over-obsessive, overly emotional types who take their love for something too far, to the point that they feel that they're the ones in control of the staff/casts, that they feel the need to tell them what to do, and proceeds to go on a temper tantrum if things don't go the way they want to, even the smallest of things.

Legion:
"Haters" on the other hand, are something that piss me off, because they are the kind of person who just go out of their way to make other people unhappy. If somebody doesn't like something, that's entirely their business, but when you get people who go into a thread called "What is your favourite character in [insert series here]?" and you get somebody who goes into that discussion purely to say something like "None, [insert series here sucks]", that's the kind of person who deserves to be beaten with a stick.

Wait wait wait, ... people are agreeing with this now?

Now don't get me wrong, I also agree with you on haters.
But when I posted in a previous thread a little while back, basically the same as what you've said here, ... instead of people agreeing with me, I got an inbox full of angry quotes telling me that "anyone who uses the term 'haters' non-ironically is an idiot", and "calling people haters is just a way of dismissing legitimate criticism".

I was quite taken aback by this, being reletively new to the forum (though I did lurk for a while before signing up), I certainly didn't expect people to jump on me like they did for using the word 'haters'.
I figured it must be some sort of taboo thing around here, - using that word.

Now however, I finally see people who share my point of view.
But I have to ask, - where are all the people who called me an idiot in that other thread? I don't see them here in this one...

I wish I could link to that other thread, but it would seem it's been deleted or something.

Three examples immediately stick out in my mind.

Visual novel fans who bash non-Japanese visual novels.

Let me get this out of the way right now. You are perfectly within your rights to not like certain things. And I see no problem with hating non-Japanese visual novels. But there are some who actively go onto videos, forums, etc. about non-Japanese visual novels and just bash and troll out of some grudge they have for a game they have never played before. Fuck them.

The bronies that take it way, way too far.

I myself am a brony. I am a huge fan of the show. And I like most of what the brony community produces. There are several amazing examples of artwork, music, and written stories, that show just how awesome this community can be. But there are some among us that take it a bit...too far. I'm not even talking about the cloppers, as I can understand that it's pretty much like being a furry. I am neither of those things, but I can understand. But just...go to the 4chan MLP board if you want examples.

The idiotic L fangirls.

This has to be the one side of a fandom I just absolutely despise. Not all L fangirls mind you, just the really, really stupid ones. The ones that go on self righteous crusades against people who either don't love L, or supported Kira while watching and/or reading Death Note.

I like L, he is my third favorite character, right behind Light Yagami and Misa Amane. But these people take this way, WAY too far sometimes.

The rabid fanboys(girls) that make me want to seriously beat within an inch of their life (and kick them the rest of the way) are the Nintenerd. Yeah, I'm talking about those people who view every Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda and Metroid rehash and remake as if they are God's own creations time and again. The grown men who cry at press releases that announce a new reboot to an old Zelda game? *facepalm* (and don't get me started about how I can't go to an anime convention these days without stepping on a Link or god-awful Princess Peach cosplayers)

I get the nostalgia, really, I do. In fact, I get it better than most since I can clearly remember playing Pac-Man and Donkey-Kong on those sit down table type arcade machines at the local Little Caesar's pizzerias; but you aren't going to see me cream my shorts over the next Pac-Man or DK reboot.

And yes, I get it, Goldeneye on the 64 was fun for its time. I will still bash on the 64's controller til the cows come home simply because it pisses them off to no end. (As for bashing on Nintenerds about the blah-ness of the WiiU? Too easy).

But, in defense of them, all these Nintenerds and their love of Mario and the gobs of money they spend on the latest Zelda remake, etc. keep Nintendo afloat enough that I'll still have plenty of Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus), NIS, etc. games to play on my 3DS.

waj9876:

I myself am a brony. I am a huge fan of the show. And I like most of what the brony community produces. There are several amazing examples of artwork, music, and written stories, that show just how awesome this community can be. But there are some among us that take it a bit...too far. I'm not even talking about the cloppers, as I can understand that it's pretty much like being a furry. I am neither of those things, but I can understand. But just...go to the 4chan MLP board if you want examples.

Pretty much exactly this, word for word. Love the show, love the community, love the fan-works... but the the extra-creepoids give all of us a bad name. Here's an example of the kind of shit I'm talking about (seriously, don't un-spoiler this unless you're ready for it):

Actually, strike that, the group that REALLY gives bronies a bad name are the ones that can't shut the fuck up about the show. Those guys are obnoxious douchebags. If I didn't like the show, I could understand being turned off of it forever by those kind of people.

Evil Smurf:
I wish people would stop console v console elitism, console v PC elitism and Mac v Windows elitism. Basically I hate elitism. Your gaming choices don't give you first dibs on being an arsehole.

This. People wonder why I hate the FGC. It's because of people who act like if you didn't play in the arcade days, you're the worst thing to happen to the community. Really? Theres guys making threats and acting like it's a gamg war and yet I'M the worst thing to happen because I wasn't playing in an arcade.

OH OH! Remembered one more. People who say that original Japanese voice over is BY DEFAULT is better than English dubbing. First of all, if you say so, you're an elitist fuck. Second, HOW THE FUCK would you know that without knowing actual Japanese language?! For all you hear, they might emphasize completely wrong words, but just because they scream it, or sound more "emotional" you assume that's better?!
Sorry, just wanted to say that for a long time now.

Lil devils x:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.

Let me address these in order.
The art isn't good
Go watch Spirited Away, Summer Wars and Karas to get a good idea of the various art styles.

High pitched, whiny emo characters
Good anime usually doesn't have this. Sounds like the only stuff you've watched is crap shonen like Yu-Gi-Oh.

The storylines are crap
There have been stories in anime that I consider some of my favourites ever. I'm including all films, TV shows, games, books and graphic novels that I've gone through. Death Note (until the halfway point), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Baccano!, Angel Beats! and Elfen Lied (the manga was better).

tl;dr
Dismissing a medium because of one crappy sampling is incredibly short sighted and myopic. It'd be like saying you don't like books or you don't like movies. It's just a dumb thing to say because not only can some things only be done in their respective medium, some are better in that one.

OT: Haters, especially metalcore haters. Christ, you'd think that just because a genre you like isn't exactly like the other stuff that it was the end of the world in some comment threads. If I say I prefer Trivium to Cannibal Corpse because I don't like brutal death metal, I get called a pussy, a poser and not a true metalhead. Fuck those guys.

Oh, and the squealing tween girls that go crazy for pretty-boy pop stars. Christ, you have no idea how many of them I've had to deal with as a camp counsellor.

IllumInaTIma:
OH OH! Remembered one more. People who say that original Japanese voice over is BY DEFAULT is better than English dubbing. First of all, if you say so, you're an elitist fuck. Second, HOW THE FUCK would you know that without knowing actual Japanese language?! For all you hear, they might emphasize completely wrong words, but just because they scream it, or sound more "emotional" you assume that's better?!
Sorry, just wanted to say that for a long time now.

Also how the fuck would you know if you never WATCH any English dubs?

Lil devils x:
See what I mean about Anime Fanbois? They cannot seem to understand that I dislike what they think is good. No I have watched many types of Anime because people keep trying to tell me I don't understand and keep sending it to me thinking I will like it just because they do. You see, I think soap operas and television sitcoms are whiny and emo too, and have crappy storylines as well. Anime is just as bad to me.

It should be okay that I may think the thing you like is dog poo. It is okay with me if you think watching the discovery channel is dog poo even though I like it.

You gave us no context for what you had seen. All I could do was speculate, as I did, that you had only watched part of a bad shonen series that's full of choppy animation, speedlines, "power of friendship" and male characters voiced by women or young boys designed to sell a line of toys. I'd recommend naming a few examples next time you bash something, that way we can offer helpful suggestions or comment on exactly why you like/dislike something.

The point of my comment was to show that your dislike is, in my eyes, somewhat unfounded and/or without merit. You're free to feel however you want about it though, just keep an open mind. To each their own.

The average fanboy/fangirl isn't too bad (I am one over a few things, but i won't push it at you, as i have a "to each their own" mindset). It's the more extreme ends of the fanboy/fangirl-ism and the haters that irritate me. If you like something that i don't, fine, just don't shove it in my face and don't try and change my opinion, I won't do it to you. If you don't like it at all, don't start flame wars, please.

Twilight fans, oh god, twilight fans. I don't think i didn't meet one that wasn't in the extreme end of the fanboy/fangirl-ism scale, they drive me nuts. I don't like twilight okay?!

Moonlight Butterfly:
I've been told I'm not a 'real gamer' because I don't play call of duty. You know apart from owning a console from every generation since the atari 2600 and building my own pc.

I'm just a big fake fakey pants.

It also annoys me if you play all kinds of games you are some sort of Blonsky. I like Animal Crossing and the Sims but I also love games like Bioshock or Left for Dead. People are so fucking weird sometimes.

I guess that's what gets on my nerves people who think if you like one thing you can't like another.

I know the feeling, I cop flak for the exact same reasons, it's annoying.

Transformers and Power Rangers fans who only love G1/Mighty Morphin' and treat the rest as suckyshowsforbabiesthatdon'tevenexist.

Marvel Comics:

f'cking WOLVERINE

His popularity these days overshadows that of every other X-Men combined.. to the point that Marvel Comics is exploiting the character like there's no tomorrow. He is in like 5 or 6 superhero teams at the same time plus his solo adventures, he's the new leader of the X-Men both in the movies and in one or two of the X-Men comics. Now he's also "Professor Logan" and runs his own version of the Xavier school... WTF?!

Most of that also applies to DEADPOOL too.

Lil devils x:
See what I mean about Anime Fanbois? They cannot seem to understand that I dislike what they think is good. No I have watched many types of Anime because people keep trying to tell me I don't understand and keep sending it to me thinking I will like it just because they do. You see, I think soap operas and television sitcoms are whiny and emo too, and have crappy storylines as well. Anime is just as bad to me.

It should be okay that I may think the thing you like is dog poo. It is okay with me if you think watching the discovery channel is dog poo even though I like it. One look at Fullmetal Alchemist makes me gag. It should be okay that I find that repulsive. I don't expect you to like everything I do. If you don't think that stuff I like, like heat sensitive color changing tiles are the coolest thing ever, I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. LOL
With fanbois, they seem to not be able to accept that what they like makes others gag.

That's because the words you choose to express your opinion come across a little... derogatory. "You like something that totally sucks, and is absolute putrid shitballs regardless of anything you might say in defense of it. But hey, that's fine." It sorta cuts off any chance at discussion right there.

We all generally want others to share in what interests us.

OT: No fans in particular annoy me. It tends to be particular fan art that can really bug me.

Casual Shinji:

Lil devils x:

It should be okay that I may think the thing you like is dog poo. It is okay with me if you think watching the discovery channel is dog poo even though I like it. One look at Fullmetal Alchemist makes me gag. It should be okay that I find that repulsive. I don't expect you to like everything I do. If you don't think that stuff I like, like heat sensitive color changing tiles are the coolest thing ever, I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. LOL
With fanbois, they seem to not be able to accept that what they like makes others gag.

That's because the words you choose to express your opinion come across a little... derogatory. "You like something that totally sucks, and is absolute putrid shitballs regardless of anything you might say in defense of it. But hey, that's fine." It sorta cuts off any chance at discussion right there.

We all generally want others to share in what interests us.

OT: No fans in particular annoy me. It tends to be particular fan art that can really bug me.

That is the thing, most people completely like something that others find disgusting. I personally like fresh broccoli and am perfectly okay with the fact that others might find that repulsive. That is the difference between fanboism and just liking something. I do not feel any need to convince others to like something. I do not feel any need to defend my liking broccoli. But the minute you tell someone you think anime is as repulsive as dog poo, they feel a need to defend it as can be seen in this very thread. It isn't my words that are the problem here, as most do not think twice when someone says "eww eating bugs is gross!" while others in India, for example, think it is a great treat!

Anime to me is no different than some people enjoy eating bugs. What is there to discuss? If someone doesn't like something, that should be fine. No one should try to convince them to like something they do not like. It is only " rampant nerd fanboism" that makes one wish to defend something like that. I think my point has been proven on this very thread that when someone says " anime sucks", Nerd fanbois act accordingly in it's defense. LOL

I avoid Anime threads for a very good reason. I don't seek out confrontations with Anime fanbois, they are entitled to like what they like, I just don't want to see it, so they need to stop trying to make me. :)

So yes, I would like to beat Anime fanboism with a stick. Is that really so bad?

EDIT: It is funny though that if someone says " eww eating bugs is gross!" they are not labled a "hater" but if they say" eww Anime is gross!" they are.

While I agree that it's the haters that really cause all the poor reputations of fandoms, its the haters disguised as fans that are reason we can't have nice things. Then ones that who seem like they love something so much that it actually manifests as hatred.

I can just go on and on about how much the Star Wars base annoys me. I only know of one, count them, ONE happy fan who claims to be a Star Wars fan. Everyone else has spent the past several years since 1997 never shutting their mouths as to how the special editions and prequels were the worst thing to happen to human decency since the Holocaust.

There was even a recent thread on this site where some dared to say that he thought Midichlorians were an interesting idea, and several of the responses boiled down to 'No. Just no.' One of them, after saying his 'No. Just no.', said that 'You can't take something as beautiful and pure as the Force as reduce it to a case of eugenics.'

...Beautiful and pure?...It's a made-up energy in a made-up universe wielded by made-up characters! You're treating this thing like its a real religion.

And if you dare mention that the patron saint of science fiction, the holiest of holy films, The Empire Strikes Back, may have a few flaws, well, I hope the nearby observers brought some popcorn, 'cuz shits about to like up like its arma-f**king-geddon. I have, actually, seen on more than one site, where some people have called the movie 'flawless'.

I honestly think the 'fans' have turned Empire into the most overrated film in existence. I honestly think that, until Cloud City, Harrison Ford's and Carrie Fischer's performances were just as stiff as Anakin and Padme, with dialog equally poor. Until Cloud City, every other line out of Han Solo's mouth was a whiny complaint. AT-ATs and AT-STs, no matter how iconic, are poorly designed vehicles of war. AT-ATs are top-heavy, have poor mobility, and a narrow cone of fire. AT-STs have better mobility at the cost of again being top-heavy with thin-ass legs that make it easy to trip.

Whenever I actually bring up these opinions around my fellow college students (going to an art school, you can bet your ass I'm in the minority here), a common response to me poking some holes in their precious nostalgia is 'Well, it's still better than the prequels!'.....I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE MOTHERF**KING PREQUELS!!

And why didn't Han Solo, Leia, R2 and C3PO get sucked out into space when they went outside the Falcon when they were in the asteroid worm? No one seems to have an answer for that. I could go on, but its nearly 1 a.m., I'm tired, and I feel like summarizing at the risk of shallow rage.

Despite that I think that 80's media, in general, contains the largest amount of people too attached to their nostalgia, I feel it's the Star Wars 'fans' that come across the worst.

I think they use the original trilogy's critical acclaim to justify why they shouldn't take an objective look at the movies again. Well, they all seem to hate Return of the Jedi for the Ewoks alone, so the first two's acclaim. I think they use RedLetterMedia's (interesting, but assholish and annoying, imo) reviews as justification for their hatred, and you can barely find a thread that has someone saying that they kinda enjoyed the prequels without someone posting a link to them followed by a /thread.

And they won't ever need a reason to stop complaining now that Disney wants to release new Star Wars movies yearly, and they dissolved LucasArts and gave the license to EA. And if there's one thing they do best, is complain.

Y'know, a while ago, I heard one of these 'fans' say, in response to the special editions and prequels that 'no one hates Star Wars more than George Lucas'. I used to think that it was just another douche, but now, I'm actually thinking that's true. If I had 'fans' that did nothing but insult me and blame me for every mistake that the developers of video games based on my IP despite the fact that I had nothing to do with it, I'd probably want to sell off the rights, too.

Wow, I wrote both more and less than I intended. Whatever, I'm sleepy.

I do want to complain about the over the top craziness that Touhou fans are part of, but they don't seem to bother me enough. In fact, a good number of them are very sane, in stark contrast to some other fanbases. Granted, I am a member of the challenge community rather than the more crazy one (not sure if understatement), but I really can't complain as some of what comes out of there really is interesting.

That said, I really would like to beat the console fanboys with a stick. Stop saying that consoles are objectively more powerful than PCs. They're not. Stop making them look like the be all, end all to every single gaming thing. No, as my PC does a better job than my console. Stop making it seem like you can even compare the two. It's apples and oranges as they're designed for different things. A console is a machine that gives a dedicated experience for gaming. A PC is what I use to work that can also give a good gaming experience, but isn't dedicated in the sense a console is.

I suppose I don't like the rabid "That's not how he looks like in the original canon!" fans. When it comes to whitewashing characters then yes, that annoys me too; because dammit we're surrounded by white people in media, we don't need more of them. However, when the character in and of itself is not harmed by a change of race or gender I don't see what the big problem is. I'm Swedish - although I can't speak for all Swedes in this - and I quite liked Idris Elba as Heimdall. It was different, he's a freaking alien, and most importantly he did a kick-ass job. The one problem I had with that is that Heimdall is known in mythology as the "white god", but heh whatevs. Would have been a funny joke if they'd thought to reference that. (Also pretty sure that had nothing to do with his actual skin colour as much as it did with his moral alignment (to use a RP term) - i.e. he was a White Hat.)

So yeah, give us the occasional black Spiderman or asian Batman[1]; mix up the aesthetics a little!

[1] Oh no she didn't! *snap snap snap* (Yes I totally did)

I guess the only fanboys that piss me off, that aren't just haters who are clinging to a previous installment of a piece of media (Diablo 2, Starcraft 1 and original recipe Star Wars fanboys, to name a few), would probably Dr. Who fans.

I will never watch your precious show and it is all your fault for beating me over the head with it until I loathe the very mention of it.

One more thing, ONLY ONE MAN IS WORTHY OF THE TITLE: "THE DOCTOR".

Oh, that reminds me, fans of any video game and/or video game console that came out before 1994 can shove it.

/ironicangerdon'tbanmebro

The Wykydtron:
Ok, people who fucking WORSHIP the main character of Persona 3 like he's Mind Jesus or something. He's an unlikable prick and is singlehandedly the WORST thing about the entire game (Including the party AI.) He drags EVERYTHING down, every single other character is amazing (coughAigiscoughChidori/Junpeicoughcough) but he just does not give a single fuck about anything. His conversation options are without fail at least twice as dickish than the choice I would actually like to make. ALL. GAME. LONG.

I also remember Yu having some dickish lines...

Kou: "Will you help clean up?"
Yu: "Be an ass and leave"

Naoto: Will you help me find the culprit behind these mysterious letters?
Yu: "You're on your own"

Yumi: "I love you, but if you reject me, just walk away, I will turn my back, I don't want to see you go..."
Yu: *Leave"

Also one from Golden!
Nanako: "When I think of you big bro, I feel much stronger, like there is strong bond between us, do you feel that way when you think of me big bro?"
Yu: "No"

Oh, you think Minato is an unlikable? Try the accomplice ending in Golden (bash it all you want, it is one hell of an ending, watched it gobsmacked the whole time)

OT: Most shippers, okay, if you hope 2 characters to get together, that's fine, but getting into fights over it is just silly.

RTSnab:
Bronies.

Wow really?

Guy got suspended for saying he hates bronies?

I can't stand them either. They're a bunch of attention whores. Like hipsters, they try to make something trivial into a some big ironic, counter-culture statement when it's really , REALLY not.
I especially despise when something like :" Oh, I'm a brony, I watch a TV show for little girls. Isn't that just wacky and zany, like meeeeeee?" or " Pfffff, only real men can do something as manly as watch a girl's tv show" pops up.

If you have reached a point where you're making " watching a tv show for little girls " a significant part of your (online) identity, you're probably an incredibly dull person with the personality of wet cardboard and you need to grow the fuck up.

(And no, saying "Maybe I just like to watch the show" isn't some argument. You know why? Cause the people who are watching the show ARE WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW, not feeling the need to defend it on forums or rub it in the face of everyone else.
The same way I watched the Powerpuff Girls all through high school without the need for some external validation or special word to show off how counter-culture I was.)

Its not necessarily fanboy/girl-ism but the mindset that "My opinion is fact!" about any media. Perspective differs for EVERYONE. Perhaps someone is colorblind and therefore cannot enjoy your favorite color. The only fact there is they cannot see what you see and vice-versa. To denigrate a person for a perspective shows a lack of maturity.
If someone else's opinion is different then your own, have some class and either agree to disagree or at least attempt to enlighten yourself to their point of view. Even if you don't hold the same view, being able to shift your own perspective to someone else's viewpoint can only be beneficial. It doesn't mean you have to agree, just accept that in their universe something you personally dislike is a good thing.

Lil devils x:

So yes, I would like to beat Anime fanboism with a stick. Is that really so bad?

EDIT: It is funny though that if someone says " eww eating bugs is gross!" they are not labled a "hater" but if they say" eww Anime is gross!" they are.

For the record i enjoy one anime. One. I find the rest as repulsive as you do (except studio gibli, that stuff is awesome).

Its not so much you dont like it, its more you listed some reasons and anyone could tell you those reasons are not inherent to the thing you are claiming to dislike. Youre also painting a HUUUUUUUUGE brush over a whole medium with wildly different things inside it. The ONLY thing animes have in common is the fact that they are japenese animation. Unless you hate the fact they are japanese its unreasonable to assume you really hate ALL of them since this is the one and only thing they ALL definitely have in common. Everything else is up for grabs and extremely interchangeable. The range in what is different is incredible, its just impossible to link them ALL via different factors when they only have one fairly shallow thing in common.

A similar example would be like if i said i hate fruits because:

They are always full of a thousand maggotts and when you open them they just go EVERWHERE

They are too sour

I dont like the colour orange.

Its just such a bizare list of things that are blatently NOT inherent to the thing im claiming to dislike.

If i was in your house and you offered me a banana and i gave you those reasons why i didnt want it im SURE you would try and correct me or in the very least say "Theres no maggotts in this, its yellow, and definitely not sour".

I dont care if you dont like it, just dont expect no one to call you out on hating fruit because you dont like maggotts, sour things and the colour orange. Because its a weird disjointed list of things not inherent to fruit as a whole.

And That's Terrible:

RTSnab:
Bronies.

Wow really?

Guy got suspended for saying he hates bronies?

I can't stand them either.

You see someone get suspended for something, and then you go and do the same thing they did?

Not the smartest move.

And That's Terrible:
And no, saying "Maybe I just like to watch the show" isn't some argument. You know why? Cause the people who are watching the show ARE WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW, not feeling the need to defend it on forums or rub it in the face of everyone else.

Circular logic right there.

They're defending themselves because people like yourself keep attacking them.
If you people stopped attacking them, they wouldn't have to defend themselves on forums and such.

Lil devils x:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.

I've heard Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber therefore all music is shit.

I've watched Godfather 3 and Spider-man 3 therefore all films are shit.

I've played Other M and Action 52 therefore all games are shit.

I've read Moll Flanders and The Bell Jar therefore all books are shit.

A few = all and I don't understand why anyone would want to read, watch, play or listen to any of that crap.

OT: I don't mind fanboys as long as they don't try and tell me why their thing is better than my thing. People have different opinions and tastes. Why does it matter; just deal with it.

Moonlight Butterfly:
I've been told I'm not a 'real gamer' because I don't play call of duty. You know apart from owning a console from every generation since the atari 2600 and building my own pc.

I'm just a big fake fakey pants.

It also annoys me if you play all kinds of games you are some sort of Blonsky. I like Animal Crossing and the Sims but I also love games like Bioshock or Left for Dead. People are so fucking weird sometimes.

I guess that's what gets on my nerves people who think if you like one thing you can't like another.

Hmmm... I dunno... did you make the computer parts yourself? 'Cause you aren't a real gamer unless you made the parts by scratch. If you just ordered the parts in you're just faking it.
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Don't hurt me!

I do agree with the 'hatred for people who say you're not a real gamer due to not playing x', but would also extend that too 'you're not a real fan since you didn't know x', where someone calls you out for not knowing some insignificant detail about whatever fandom you're in. I'm apparently 'not a fan of pokemon' due to not knowing what level Goldeen evolves into Seaking, despite owning all the pokemon games, play said games incredibly frequently (as in, only DS games I actually play) and am fully capable of having conversations about strategies and movesets for extended periods of time.

but nope, didn't know one little thing, so I'm not a true fan of the the series. Shame too, considering how much time I've sunk into it...

Leemaster777:

waj9876:

Pretty much exactly this, word for word. Love the show, love the community, love the fan-works... but the the extra-creepoids give all of us a bad name. Here's an example of the kind of shit I'm talking about (seriously, don't un-spoiler this unless you're ready for it):

Actually, strike that, the group that REALLY gives bronies a bad name are the ones that can't shut the fuck up about the show. Those guys are obnoxious douchebags. If I didn't like the show, I could understand being turned off of it forever by those kind of people.

well, clicked the spoiler...

I do agree with the 'ALWAYS ON ALL THE TIME ABOUT HOW AWESOME THE SHOW IS' Bronies. Hell, I got put off Homestuck by their equivalents - a couple of my friends who read it just wouldn't shut up about how amazing it was, how interesting the characters were, all the fanstuff about it (that I really had to check out, it's so awesome), how they really like that these characters are getting together...
I didn't even get one chapter in before I lost interest, and I know people who haven't even touched it thanks to the over-excited fans.

Silvanus:
When the last episode of Doctor Who was broadcast, sectors of the interwebs were flooded with proclamations of, "Best episode ever!"

It wasn't. It didn't many any goddamn sense. The villain's plot was nonsensical and self-defeating, and it introduced new mechanics constantly, with little purpose other than to resolve the episode. The episode, and the show, know not the meaning of dramatic tension. Doctor Who has become the most Deus Ex Machina-ey show I've ever seen. And, OT, the loyalty to it is unbreakable.

Become? The show's pretty much always been like this, at least the new series (don't know the classics all that well). Two off the top of my head in the 9th Doctor series; Rose's saved Dad killing himself, reversing Rose's actions brings people back to life, and Rose opening the Tardis core to destroy the Daleks in the series finale while bringing Jack (and only him, why not anyone else the Daleks killed?) back to life.

I know why it is, too. It's Tennant, and to a lesser extent, Smith, along with how the writers have used them. They've turned it into a beauty contest. Plot, pacing and subtlety have been thrown out of the window in pursuit of shameless sexual fanservice. Doctor Who is not Science Fiction anymore, because the Sci-Fi plotline is of tertiary importance, behind childish, soap-opera drama and attempts to romanticize the Doctor himself. If you doubt this last part, ask yourself how likely it is that The Doctor will travel solely with a male companion, or an elderly companion? The likelihood is negligible.

I agree about the soap-opera drama, especially last series (no show, you're not going to kill the Doctor, stop trying to make me think you will). But the "romanticization" hasn't really been a thing since Rose/Martha went away. As far as I'm aware, the classic Doctor never travelled with only a male/elderly companion, and that era isn't accused of romanticizeing the Doctor.

Almost every scientific statement, explanation or rationalisation, does not hold up to scrutiny, and the writers no longer care. They know they don't have to. They know the writing has only to be wafer-thin; a veneer, almost purely vestigial at this point, to give Matt Smith a reason to look chic and appeal to the false-geek crowd. This is not a popularisation of science fiction- it is a hijacking.

Again, this is show that popularised "reverse the polarity" as a technobabble expalnation/plot fix. This isn't some betrayl that Davies/Moffat have inflicted on a previously plausible Sci-Fi show. It's always been like this.

...And the internet goes wild. Genius! Brilliant! Such high stakes, wow!

Bullshit.

Pendantry first, Amy is dead, that was Clara. Secondly, the episode is less than a week old, you should have probably put this bit in spoiler tags
Otherwise, you're generally right about this, the finale wasn't massively strong, but it was also far the worst I've seen this show inflict.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked