Why do you like the music you like?
I like the beat/rhythm/sound of it.
30.4% (56)
30.4% (56)
It reminds me of a moment from my past/has personal meaning to me.
1.6% (3)
1.6% (3)
The message reflects my own experiences and viewpoints.
1.1% (2)
1.1% (2)
They match the emotions I feel when listening to it.
10.3% (19)
10.3% (19)
None of these.
4.9% (9)
4.9% (9)
All of these and more.
38.6% (71)
38.6% (71)
Some of these (explain which ones).
11.4% (21)
11.4% (21)
Other.
1.6% (3)
1.6% (3)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Why do you listen to the music you have?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was curious about the reasons people listen to the music they like. Do you listen because it has personal meaning to you? Do you listen because it brings back memories of better times? Or do you simply listen to it because it sounds good?

I often listen to the music I do because of how it sounds. If I am sad, I listen to music that sounds sad. If I am angry, I listen to some heavy metal. If I am relaxed, I listen to music that calms me. You get the idea.

Often times I dont even learn the lyrics or "message" of the song until some time later, which has resulted in some awkward "Defaq am I listening to O.O" moments, lol!

(Apologies if some options seem to overlap.)

the songs on my iPod are there because they give me a lift or remind me of good times or sometimes sad times that make me reflect.

to be honest I don't listen to music unless I'm drunk (in which case I throw on some nostalgic tunes) or at the gym.

Sigh I used to love music :(

Variety of reasons. My music usually matches my mood but I still enjoy it more than anything. I won't just put a "sad" station on Pandora and leave it at that. It's got to be music I personally enjoy listening to. Even if it's depressing.

And if the song makes me tap my foot, bob my head you best believe I'm adding it in my library. I enjoy dancing, even if it's by myself.

There are a variety of reasons why I listen to the music I do. Sometimes it is to remind me of good times and/or if I am feeling nostalgic, other times it is because the song sticks in my head and I enjoy listening to the rhythm and the beat of it.

I think this will give you the answers you seek:

It's a little bit of them all, for me. I like listening and examining, pulling apart the pieces and focusing on specific bits like the vocals or guitars. There are a lot of songs I like for the nostalgic factor of growing up with them. There are a lot of songs I listen to depending on the mood I'm in.

There's no singular reason beyond "I enjoy it", which is about as vague a response as you could make on a topic such as this.

I just like how shit sounds I guess. I have a LOT of game and anime soundtracks, I think I would have more slightly more songs in Japanese than English if I went and counted. I have primarily instrumentals with no words at all though

Hey, sometimes you just want to drop Shinsou on permanent repeat while you're playing League so all the pro plays can be tagged "Astral Finish!" in your mind. It works, trust me. I'm not weird I swear!

Anyone who has played Extend will understand that if see a chance for some risky tower dive and the song ticks into the chorus you're damn right i'm diving that!

I have fuck all depressing songs. I have some of the melancholy ones from the Persona 4 soundtrack and that's about it.

Really I have one big League soundtrack instead of an iTunes library. The few pieces of dubstep adds some much needed volume too :3

I DID have a proper library but my old laptop went and died on me and I lost ALL my data. Spent the first few days downloading everything I could remember since the Cloud thing remembers fuck all.

I like the music I like 'cos it would make good AMV songs.

You know those fucking annoying AMV's on youtube, some metal/heavy rock song over anime fights? I like them songs. They are just good for getting you going, not getting you hyped to punch somebody but give you a kick in the pants to wake you up.

The groups I have on my phone (which I use to listen to music on) are Rob Zombie, Blue Stahli, Disturbed, Dope, Drowning pool, Godsmack, Hatebreed, Linkin Park, Mushroomhead, Rammstein, Saliva, Seether, Slipknot, Soil and Theory of a deadman.

I do go through phases though, like I haven't listened to linkin park in a year or 2 but one day I will get sick of drowning pool (which I am listening to constantly at the moment) and go on a linkin park rampage for 4 months. Been on a drowning pool kick for 4 months now, same 3 albums over and over again.

I walk about 2 miles every other day and that is like 2 albums worth of music.

omega 616:

Either those are very short albums, or you walk incredibly slowly.

OT: I have no idea, I guess it's a combination of everything. I guess most of the music I really like I just think sounds good, a combination of beat, melody, nice sounding vocals etc. Some songs I will like because the lyrics are thought provoking or witty. Other songs I'll like because of nostalgia.

I think there's a lot to be said regarding external influences. When I was at secondary school I guess I was one of the more 'indy' crew and listened nearly exclusively to rock. However since having come to university and partying and such a lot more I find that I still like rock, but listen to a lot more pop, dance, rap, r&b and such.

Qwurty2.0:
Why do you listen to the music you have?

Because I can't listen to the music I don't have...?

But I sort of understand what you mean. I have albums which, regardless of genre, I just consider generic time-wasting filler. In a good way. I mean, I can listen to them regardless of mood.
I have a few albums I listen to when I'm saddened, and for simple background noise I tend to use ASMR videos off've the Youtube.
Got a few tracks I listen to almost-exclusively when I'm massively drunk.

I don't listen to the music. I FEEL the music. The speed, the rush, it makes me feel alive. Music moves me like it is a part of me, like the blood running through your veins.

When I was 12 I borrowed a CD from a friend during a school trip. The CD was Brave New World by Iron Maiden and it was my first experience with metal. Blew me away and I've been in love with the genre ever since. Recently listened to that CD again after probably eight years and I still remembered every single word. Nostalgia <3
These days I listen a lot more to Swedish trallpunk(melodic, up beat punk with depressing lyrics), but metal is still a huge part of my life.

What struck me was the feel of the music. Amazing instrumental work and you can tell they put a lot of effort into the music. The lyrics aren't very important to me when it comes to metal though.

capper42:

omega 616:

OT: I have no idea, I guess it's a combination of everything. I guess most of the music I really like I just think sounds good, a combination of beat, melody, nice sounding vocals etc. Some songs I will like because the lyrics are thought provoking or witty. Other songs I'll like because of nostalgia.

Sorry my walking speed isn't impressive enough.

How fast do you walk? 'cos I'm thinking 1 mile in about 15-30 minutes is ok.

omega 616:

capper42:

omega 616:

Sorry my walking speed isn't impressive enough.

How fast do you walk? 'cos I'm thinking 1 mile in about 15-30 minutes is ok.

It wasn't meant as a dig, sorry if I offended.

I'd say 15-30 is about average, I walk about 3 and a half miles to uni and that takes pretty much dead on an hour, and I'm not exactly a speed walker. I'm just surprised you can listen to two albums in that time.

I think I enjoy it the only answer that makes sense. Would you listen to music you didn't enjoy?

To me, lyrics are the least important part of music. I'm an Atheist and I still enjoy Flyleaf and Skillet even though I can't relate at all to the lyrics.

"Run to the Hills" is an awesome song and it would still be awesome it was called Take the Red Pills, or George Foreman's Grills, or Use Power Drills.

Find songs that are only good for one thing to be pointless. Like when everybody likes a song because it's easy to dance to. Of course there is no real meaning to the song other than it being a one hit wonder for the band that nobody will remember in a couple of years. Alot of the stuff I like paints a picture in my mind and I can imagine myself being in that situation. There usually songs that tell a story. Very much don't really care for the crap that is played on a radio station while you are at work. Lets put on music that will offend nobody and kind of put you into a drooling fog.

I have over 15k songs on my iPod, and they're all there for a variety of reasons. I guess polygons emotions would be the biggest reason, it feels like music elevates me to a higher state. That basically encapsulates two of your options, and of course I do like the sound of it :P

Mostly because of sound and emotion. I've been playing music nearly my entire life so that seems natural, I guess. I love metal because of the aggressive style and the absolutely crazy sounds and speeds people make but I also love swing jazz because of the great melodies and they work well for impressing a significant other if you can play them (many of which I can).

At the moment, I play guitar and cello because I like the music and it's a fun way to spend my time. The musician's appeal is just an added bonus.

shrekfan246:
I think this will give you the answers you seek:

It's a little bit of them all, for me. I like listening and examining, pulling apart the pieces and focusing on specific bits like the vocals or guitars. There are a lot of songs I like for the nostalgic factor of growing up with them. There are a lot of songs I listen to depending on the mood I'm in.

There's no singular reason beyond "I enjoy it", which is about as vague a response as you could make on a topic such as this.

all of that and I occasionally enjoy dancing and/or singing like an idiot to the stuff that I have. Most of the time however, it's just background noise.

It varies from song to song.

I listen to rap because I like the sound. My favorite rappers are Lowkey and Immortal Technique because of their messages.

I tend to listen to music that reflects my mood but as a general rule of thumb I listen to music because it's compelling. Music makes me feel.

lacktheknack:
snip

Good idea.

I have a lot of reasons to like the music I have. Now for clarification, my music composes of Anime themes, Blazblue and Persona music, and some random stuff.

1). I love Japanese games and anime and want to have the song close by on the road.

2). Some songs just sound awesome to hear over and over again

3). They are dramatic enough to make an impact or sound like good fight music

4). They match my emotions at the time of listening

The Wykydtron:
I just like how shit sounds I guess. I have a LOT of game and anime soundtracks, I think I would have more slightly more songs in Japanese than English if I went and counted. I have primarily instrumentals with no words at all though

Hey, sometimes you just want to drop Shinsou on permanent repeat while you're playing League so all the pro plays can be tagged "Astral Finish!" in your mind. It works, trust me. I'm not weird I swear!

Anyone who has played Extend will understand that if see a chance for some risky tower dive and the song ticks into the chorus you're damn right i'm diving that!

I have fuck all depressing songs. I have some of the melancholy ones from the Persona 4 soundtrack and that's about it.

Really I have one big League soundtrack instead of an iTunes library. The few pieces of dubstep adds some much needed volume too :3

I DID have a proper library but my old laptop went and died on me and I lost ALL my data. Spent the first few days downloading everything I could remember since the Cloud thing remembers fuck all.

Welcome to my music liberty. A lot of Persona (I'll Face Myself is still my favorite Persona song) and Blazblue (Nightmare Fiction but would really like to buy the Roku Eiyuu song that's new to Chronophantasma if Ishiwatari-san releases a non-vocal version) music on my Itunes. I guess I just have an infatuation with Japan (I may need that checked out)

P.S. music samples for those who don't understand the references

It sounds a little bizarre asking someone why the listen to something they like because why would you listen to something you don't like? Really, why?

That question aside, I could never really put down a reason why I liked some of the music I like. Lyrics, the rhythm, the meaning I place on it from my own experiences all factor into what I like. I've listened to music, gotten attached to it, and realized it was about a god I don't believe in. Ok, cool, it's still a great song and will continue to listen. And sometimes I listen to music so it reflects my mood although this is not such a great thing to do as it can perpetuate that mood, particularly a sad one, as apposed to making you feel better.

And others...others I can't explain. Tell me what in the world Hotel California is about, why Bach's Suite No. 1 in G major (BWV 1007) is so beautiful, or what it is about Journey's soundtrack that makes me cry and remember memories I don't even have.

Although going from Bach to Tool is a pretty interesting experience. :)

When listening to music I firstly choose based on how listenable I consider the music. Whether or not the lyrics have meaning to begin with is irrelevant, it really does actually have to be something that I can latch onto and listen to. For it to last however, I prefer the lyrics to have a bit of depth to them. It doesn't always need to be at the level of The National (who incidentally are my absolute favourite band and one of the reasons I still have faith in the USA), but it has to have some weight behind it. I tend to prefer more non-pretentious stuff, but that's up to interpretation. Third, I tend to enjoy a bit of consistency with the band. Bands like The Black Keys, The National, Cage the Elephant, Arcade Fire, Miracle of Sound, Some of Modest Mouse's stuff, British India a bit, produce really great albums and do it over and over. They have a good sound, develop beyond it and create truly masterful works, something that The National have been doing since Alligator all the way up to Trouble Will Find Me. These are the bands that have survived the test of time and are the people I fall back on when I'm sitting here at my computer.

To Sum it up, First it has to be Listenable or just plain good, Second Lyrics have to be interesting and pack a bit of punch and Third, The band has to produce consistent good quality stuff to stay on my radar. That isn't to say I don't enjoy bands that have broken up, LCD Soundsystem are one of my favourites and it's basically because all their albums were great, especially Sound of Silver, that's one of my top ten and I'm not usually a fan of that type of music.

Darling let me take your hand as I talk you through this,
How loneliness edged into deep seated psychosis.
Lying awake in crowded hotels rooms focused on tape hiss,
With my failings laid clear on the ceiling, I don't think I can do this.
I don't think I can do this.

I've tried so hard to not turn into my father,
But if I only ever skip out his choices, will I ever choose better?
Oh the sad truth is that the grass, it will always seem greener,
So I left you alone in a restaurant in London in winter.
You deserve better.

I clicked on the first choice. Then the second choice. Then the third choice. Then saw all of the above.

I listen to the music I listen to because I love it, because it sounds beautiful, because I agree with the message, hell, I just listen. Frank Turner, Scroobius Pipp both can hammer out a decent track, Bill Bragg can lift me up and make me want to fight, Billy Talent can do the same. Tchaikovsky is what I listen to when planning DnD campaigns. Bleh.

I just love music.

I listen to mostly classical music. No vocals, pieces are anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour and a half long, require a full orchestra, strings 'n' winds 'n' percussionists 'n' a conductor, most composers have been dead for at least a hundred years... you know, music that you have to like in order to tolerate it's long playing time.

I just like it because it sounds nice. I want something that sounds like... this, and the piece I'm listening to fulfills it. I'm not looking for a piece that makes me feel sad or feel remind me of... some moment in my life. I just want to listen something and go, that piece, that piece was the best forty minutes I've had in a while.

Here's why I think classical music transcends most music: I want something fast, or I want something exciting. I put on a regular rock song - it's got a nice beat, it's got okay lyrics, but I can easily predict how the song plays out in the midst of the song. You know? I hear a motiff, I immediately guess that the song is going to do this sound while the singer says a word that rhymes with "Mine", and it's just... okay. It all sounds the same because the set up is the same: a bassist, a guitar, the singer, maybe a percussive instrument like the drums or keyboard.

Then you put on a classical piece and, holy shit, with around one hundred professional people each commandeering entirely different instruments (compared to the set up of a bassist, a guitar, and maybe a drummer or keyboard), you never know how the piece is going to play out. It knocks you off your metaphorical feet to hear the wide ranges of sound that can be made by a bassoonist clashing with an English horn clashing with a double bass. But listening to a bass guitarist playing beneath a singer in a rock band? You've heard that, and the singer isn't going to make up for it sounding so much like everyone else.

Course that probably made no sense. I can't describe it without sounding too pretentious or too full of myself.

Here's what I was listening to while I wrote that. Fucking fantastic symphony.

I listen to music for a ludicrous number of reasons.

When I listen to a song, I either like it or I don't. I'm incredibly simple like that.

I don't care about whether I'm "supposed" to like it or whether it's objectively good or anything. I just care about whether I enjoy it.

It's simply because I like the sound (beat/rhythm/sound) of it? I mean certain beat and sound etc can be provoking in a good way or make you feel something.

I like how it sounds. If I don't like how it sounds, I don't listen to it.

Pretty much most of this and more.

I mean for example.
Air on the G String is something I listen to just because I like it AND it calms me down.
Punk rock gets me into a rocking mood.
And well this ...

is a kick in the head emotionally.

So yeah, there is WAY too many reasons why I listen to the music I like. :D

All of those reasons and more.
I typically enjoy non-vocal pieces more where the instruments do the singing.
If you can convey the intended emotion without singing a word or implying what I should be feeling, you've done something truly beautiful.

Not that I despise vocal pieces.
Not in the slightest. Well...some pop songs might be the exception to that generalization.
Thoughtless words manufactured to "sound good". Some indeed do, some just sound like trash.

I digress. Music in many ways completes me, and there isn't anything quite like winding down to your favorite tunes.
Or, in mine and some others cases, composing your own even.

I love the hell out of Industrial Metal because... well I really like techno mixed with heavy drums and guitars.

I'm a simple man with simple needs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked