Why the Negativity?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Has anyone noticed recently that this site has become very negative? I started coming here to get reviews and insight from users on games and other entertainment, plus a sense of gaming community. I found Yahtzee to be funny and got some value from his reviews even though he found lots of "bad stuff" with the games he plays, that was always his niche.

Lately almost every one of these "articles" about gaming seem so biased and unfavorable. From the Nintendo to Xbox and PlayStation, which you would think would be a good bit of the bread and butter for this site. They can't seem to do much right, can they? I am not saying they are rainbows and glitter, but I can't read an article from here anymore without a snide comment. And then the users just jump on board. Misinformation is stated once, never corrected and just goes on. No one reads anyone's posts and just keeps going and going.

Thank goodness for some of the original content/features and things like Miracle of Sound and Lisa Foiles, otherwise I might not even come here anymore. And they may not care, but I assume they want to make money and I want them to stick around, even as a fellow North Carolinian). I don't expect this to be unbiased regurgitated news, but we are in an age of awesome, I am excited to be playing in it.

Because a lot of the more recent practices of the industry are really fucking shit, and the longer we pretend they aren't the worse it's going to get. I'm quite impressed by the fact many contributors are willing to criticise idiotic, greedy and insulting business practices, instead of bending over and asking for more. If businesses feel that they can get away with these things, what's going to encourage them to change?

Every forum in the history of ever has harnessed negativity. People can complain about anything, anytime, to anybody, for free.

Johnny Novgorod:
Every forum in the history of ever has harnessed negativity. People can complain about anything, anytime, to anybody, for free.

Some have a reason to, and some are jaded. A number of the big ones around here have been justified, including a few against the forum itself (like with EC).

Whytewulf:
Has anyone noticed recently that this site has become very negative? I started coming here to get reviews and insight from users on games and other entertainment, plus a sense of gaming community. I found Yahtzee to be funny and got some value from his reviews even though he found lots of "bad stuff" with the games he plays, that was always his niche.

Lately almost every one of these "articles" about gaming seem so biased and unfavorable. From the Nintendo to Xbox and PlayStation, which you would think would be a good bit of the bread and butter for this site. They can't seem to do much right, can they? I am not saying they are rainbows and glitter, but I can't read an article from here anymore without a snide comment. And then the users just jump on board. Misinformation is stated once, never corrected and just goes on. No one reads anyone's posts and just keeps going and going.

Thank goodness for some of the original content/features and things like Miracle of Sound and Lisa Foiles, otherwise I might not even come here anymore. And they may not care, but I assume they want to make money and I want them to stick around, even as a fellow North Carolinian). I don't expect this to be unbiased regurgitated news, but we are in an age of awesome, I am excited to be playing in it.

I would rather have honesty in the articles than a site that is paid to only say nice things. There are PLENTY of sites that are paid to say only nice things, the problem with that is when you get the product and it wasn't as nice as they made it out to be, you learn not to trust those sites because they convinced you to buy garbage.

I would rather hear the good, the bad and the ugly for what it is rather than have them powder puff it for me.
As for the Xbox one article for example, what I read here as actually much nicer than what the majority of the gaming community has to say on the subject right now. EVERYONE I know is dropping xbox over it, so you would think that this should be reflected in the articles so people don't go drop the cash on it only to find out about the fees later.

Whytewulf:
Has anyone noticed recently that this site has become very negative?

No.

Seriously though, not really. There's a lot of complaints about the industry, but I think this is at least in part because it's easier to point at a feature and say "this'll be bad" than to say it'll be good, which is more subjective. Easier to make something everyone hates than something everyone loves.

Look on the bright side, at least people aren't posting depressing news stories for seemingly no reason so much anymore. I swear recently we used to get a different 'Man gets brutally murdered by demon watermelon' story every week.

Because we can say stuff on the internet that we can't say in real life. I have the suspicion that many of us have negative thoughts much of the time, but we don't say it in public because it makes us look bad. However, here, we can say that stuff and although there are rules and we can't be excessively rude, we can be ruder than we would be in real life.

Also, because cynicism makes you look cooler, son! Optimism is for the naive and childish (or so the internet thinks) and the best way to prove that you are not naive and childish is to be cynical as all get out (or so the internet thinks). Being optimistic opens one up to ridicule, whereas being cynical might open you up to criticism, it hardly ever opens you up to ridicule. It's emotional armor for the brittle at heart, which is why I'm so negative all the time! Because that way I desperately hope you won't see the hole of anguish and desperation for acceptance that gnaws away at my very soul, every single minute of every single hour of every single day of every single week of every single month of every single year of my dark, miserable life!

"EVERYTHING SUCKS!" I say.... because... truth be told..... I don't want you to see the tears of loneliness and disappointment (pause for dramatic effect).

And that's why we're so negative on the internet!

To be fair, the truth about the Xbox One at the moment does lend itself towards a negative bias.

Just a sec, man.
Let me put the blissful, rainbow goggles full of happiness, hope and joy back on you.
There we go. Now take 'em off again!

But snark and some attempt at humor aside, this really isn't an "age of awesome". Or rather, should I say that it was and then we've since made some unsettling revelations...
With your supposed good things come the bad. It just so happens that we've only really began to get critical and more vocal to bad business practices as of late. The Wii-U wasn't what the customers wanted it to be, and the consumer's worst nightmares of EA and the new Xbox are seemingly becoming reality.

The industry is hitting some unfortunate twists and turns and you as a consumer must hold yourself responsible in part for what happens. It is correct that all the details aren't released, but is in the same light as the friendly chef saying parts of your meal will be poisoned but you might not exactly know which parts? A rational, informed individual would say "no thanks" and leave. Others in turn will need to know of that restaurant's practices and be faced with the choice as to whether or not to willingly consume toxic material.

I, for one, applaud the people concerned at what is becoming of their hobby and the people that provide their entertainment products.
Those concerned people shouldn't be the ones that make you upset. Look at the companies and reassess your principles.
You can have some shallow enjoyment now (purposely ignoring the truth) with more of your consumer rights being violated by tomorrow, or you can say "that's wrong" and change your plan of action. A wary and informed customer is one of the most powerful tools in the market world and paramount to shaping tomorrow.

It might not be the thing you want to hear, it might not even be the thing you want to do.
And as with everything in this world, what I've typed might not even be correct. Just an observation, a subsequent hypothesis and an at least partially educated guess as to what the future holds if x parameters are met...

Huh, reading that over I sound like one of those conspiracy blokes.
Or a half decent politician...

tl;dr
Don't ignore the negatives, take them into consideration and above all be cautious of whom you choose to support with your wallet.

Has this website ever been a basin of butterflies and rainbow stickers? I'm pretty sure it's always around this level of negativity.

Because it's much more fun to rip into something and point out its flaws than it is to praise it. Also, you can hardly say there's as much stuff to love right now in the gaming world than there is to hate, what with the "glorified TV box" being a thing.

I really don't see any problem with negative threads, you can just not go on them.

OP, you must understand that a lot of that negativity has a genuine source/ cause. Also, it not as if things will automatically improve if only people stay cheerful. Fucked up business practices, for instance, remain fucked up...whether one is smiley or sadfaced.

Whytewulf:

Completely agree, I'd have to rank the escapist forums as probably the most negative/ vile forum I visit which is honestly a real shame seeing how good some of the content is from the contributors.

manic_depressive13:
Because a lot of the more recent practices of the industry are really fucking shit, and the longer we pretend they aren't the worse it's going to get. I'm quite impressed by the fact many contributors are willing to criticise idiotic, greedy and insulting business practices, instead of bending over and asking for more. If businesses feel that they can get away with these things, what's going to encourage them to change?

You know a really great way to encourage change and weed out bad business practices in the industry? Instead of going to a random forum and bitching (not directed at you, but instead all gamers)about the issue's that you want changed. Perhaps write up a letter or email to said company and actually tell them what's up (Not with an aggressive tone). I absolutely guarantee that if gamers dropped the bullshit of keeping the anger dialed up to 11, and instead "acted" appropriately to issues in gaming, actual change could happen. But instead what will happen; Don't like the amount of content in game, want sequels to IP's you love, Don't want always online, Don't want an always on kinect- Bitch into the proverbial empty hallway that is the internet forums with the megaphones of negativity.

Gabe Yaden:

Whytewulf:

Completely agree, I'd have to rank the escapist forums as probably the most negative/ vile forum I visit which is honestly a real shame seeing how good some of the content is from the contributors.

Really?
Alright you wrote "probably" and "I visit', but still, "the most negative/ vile forum"?
REALLY?
While things can go quite harsh occasionally for a most part the forum here is filled with wonderful, intelligent and open-minded people.
People who like to discuss things and argue about topics they seriously care about.
Yes I said it. People who CARE. And when you care about something you tend to become more emotional then usually, and when you become emotional you might say/write things you will regret later (and saying "I'm sorry" is really hard).
So no, I disagree with your claim.
The Escapist forums are great and fellow Escapees are wonderful people

Well...I think it's partially because a fair few of us are cynical bastards and more prominently because there aren't a lot of good things to say about the next consoles at this point. The PS4 only looks decent because where it indulges ina bit of social silliness, the Xbone is almost anti-consumer with its approach to used games and online capability. To be honest, there are a lot of shitty things going on in the gaming industry, and if anyone is likely to resent that it's users on this site.

But then you see some silly thread about which conditional superpower you'd rather have and faith in humanity is restored.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my country is currently spiralling into xenophobia due to the tragic murder of an off duty british soldier in the street by a couple of mental bastards with machetes, unemployment doesn't seem to be getting any better, individuality is being damn near systematically wiped out, everything's always getting more expensive, the xbox one is unbelievably, god awfully bad and anti-consumer, personally my tutors are dicks who don't seem to know what the hell they're talking about, telling us to constantly read completely irrelevent bullshit whilst seemingly not reading our essays properly before marking them (I'm serious, my last feedback ran almost completely counter to the actual essay, no this is not all in my head it outright contradicted what the essay actually contained), the people i'm supposed to be getting therapy from appear to be ignoring me, and a lifetime of loneliness and rejection by everything from girls to society itself has never looked more likely.

Yeah, i'm running low on things to be positive about, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's spotted the recent pile of shit dumped on the world. At least the nostalgia critic seems to be getting better again.

Oh, and if you're thinking of saying something like "WELL YOU HAS ELECTRICITY AND INTERNET" just don't. We all know that shit only helps on a bit of a bad day, it doesn't do shit against a major downer.

This thread is an example of the thing it is complaining about. Is this really a productive discussion to be having? Kidding, kidding.

The fact is that when people come together anonymously on the Internet to discuss things, a whole lot of activity is going to be their daily complaints. If it isn't daily complaints, it's powerful reactions to news and current affairs.

Apart from "that's awesome", which lasts about two seconds and doesn't really generate long discussions or debates, the other common knee-jerk reaction is "that's awful". When we complain, we are more likely to mention "why" we are complaining - because it helps us to relax to let this out in a safe place like an internet forum. The "why" here is the key to what actually keeps forums active in the first place.

You worry about negativity on The Escapist? It could be worse. I mean, this could be 4chan. Or worse, Reddit (again, kidding). Negativity can be productive for creating discussions and movement towards the improvement of the games industry, and I think in many ways it does here. It could be simple offence throwing or juvenile humour, but mostly this place is made of better stuff.

If anything, it's a little too productive here for me. Sometimes I need more craziness in my reading. But that's one reason why other sites exist.

manic_depressive13:

I was going to have a rant, but this says most of what I'm feeling for me.
We shouldn't have to put up with sub-standard half finished rubbish from big businesses who assume we're all idiots.
I don't even get excited about new releases anymore, I just assume they'll be broken or half arsed. And that's once I've navigated my way through all the fucking media menus to get to whatever I downloaded.

This is a very negative time to be a gamer. Well, not really, but if you put all your eggs in the console basket then things are probably looking pretty grim. Again, that's only if you subscribe to the theory that we actually need these new consoles, instead of just sticking to the ones we have and the hundreds of games readily available.

Personally, I think all the negativity is a good thing. It's nice that people aren't swallowing this shit anymore, and it plays nicely into my hopes that the mainstream console industry is going to collapse and make way for a revival that's about games and not tech.

Gabe Yaden:
You know a really great way to encourage change and weed out bad business practices in the industry? Instead of going to a random forum and bitching (not directed at you, but instead all gamers)about the issue's that you want changed. Perhaps write up a letter or email to said company and actually tell them what's up (Not with an aggressive tone). I absolutely guarantee that if gamers dropped the bullshit of keeping the anger dialed up to 11, and instead "acted" appropriately to issues in gaming, actual change could happen. But instead what will happen; Don't like the amount of content in game, want sequels to IP's you love, Don't want always online, Don't want an always on kinect- Bitch into the proverbial empty hallway that is the internet forums with the megaphones of negativity.

I was under the impression the OP was talking about the content contributors of the Escapist, who are more likely to be heard than a random person on the forums.

Besides, how spectacularly naive can you be to think if some people wrote polite letters these disgusting business practices would change? These corporations aren't retarded. They knew that things like always online, lack of backwards compatibility and inability to play used games would piss a lot of people off, but they did it anyway because they though they could get away with it. So I am going to react appropriately to the gaming industry by treating it like the joke it's apparently determined to be, and not buying into their bullshit anymore.

"Becoming" very negative?

...maybe I missed the times when this place wasn't brimming with insightful criticism and no small amount of rancor.

Also, we may very well be seeing the leadup to another gaming crash like 1983. Our industry big boys are getting waaaay too big for their britches.
So, some bitterness is to be expected.

Doclector:
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my country is currently spiralling into xenophobia due to the tragic murder of an off duty british soldier in the street by a couple of mental bastards with machetes, unemployment doesn't seem to be getting any better, individuality is being damn near systematically wiped out, everything's always getting more expensive, the xbox one is unbelievably, god awfully bad and anti-consumer, personally my tutors are dicks who don't seem to know what the hell they're talking about, telling us to constantly read completely irrelevent bullshit whilst seemingly not reading our essays properly before marking them (I'm serious, my last feedback ran almost completely counter to the actual essay, no this is not all in my head it outright contradicted what the essay actually contained), the people i'm supposed to be getting therapy from appear to be ignoring me, and a lifetime of loneliness and rejection by everything from girls to society itself has never looked more likely.

Yeah, i'm running low on things to be positive about. At least the nostalgia critic seems to be getting better again.

Oh, and if you're thinking of saying something like "WELL YOU HAS ELECTRICITY AND INTERNET" just don't. We all know that shit only helps on a bit of a bad day, it doesn't do shit against a major downer.

I don't give a flying fuck if you don't like hugs or ponies, YOU WILL HAVE ALL MY HUGS!!!! ACCEPT IT!! ACCEPT THE HAPPY!!! :3 [1]

On topic: Eh, seems to be the usual amount of cynicism to me. It's to be expected, actually. After all, there's a lot of really stupid crap that's been going on in the AAA industry for quite some time now and the next console generation is seeming to be setting things up to get much worse. Even though so many game journalists / critics / personalities as well as average core gamers in general have made their thoughts on all the anti-consumer practices very well known in both polite and not-so-polite ways, none of the offending companies seem to pay heed to any of it whatsoever and continue to do things that are quite frankly pissing their customers off.

By the looks of things, the Xbox One may have been the final straw for a lot of people, as the words of numerous high-level Microsoft employees seem to be painting a dark picture of what's to come. Even though Microsoft has backpedaled from some of these statements, the fact that it was the Microsoft VP who said many of them as well as what little we have had Microsoft confirm without backpedaling makes what once seemed like mere paranoia as actually plausible now. Add to that the lackluster PS4 reveal and the disappointing launch of the Wii U, and the next generation of consoles really doesn't leave people with much to be optimistic about. The collapse of numerous once-legendary game studios / publishers / franchises as well as many high-profile AAA games selling very well yet being regarded as disappointments and even disasters only adds more fuel to the proverbial fire.

To put it short, the gaming industry as a whole may be doing fine, but the AAA console scene seems to be falling apart entirely due to a combination of customer dissatisfaction and numerous juggernaut companies preferring to stay as they are and stagnate rather than adapt to the scenario at hand and repair their fragmented relationship with their customer-base. The industry as a whole is in good shape, but much of the AAA market will be unsustainable if things keep heading in the direction that they have been. Too many companies are already losing money even on huge successes. They simply cannot afford to damage the faith of customers any more, yet it seems like they're going to do just that.

Now take into account that most people here genuinely care about the gaming industry - even the AAA market - as well as current global events and whatever other issues they may be facing within their day-to-day lives or even within their own fandoms and the reasons for all this cynicism become clear.

IMPORTANT: I will say this though - if you want things to get better, try making more positive threads and being a source of positivity for people. Complaining about complaining doesn't really lead anywhere except to more complaining. Try to help people relax and remind them of the good, rather than focusing on the bad and condemning them. As the old saying goes, "You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

[1] Seriously though, I want to give you a hug now.

manic_depressive13:

Gabe Yaden:

I was under the impression the OP was talking about the content contributors of the Escapist, who are more likely to be heard than a random person on the forums.

Besides, how spectacularly naive can you be to think if some people wrote polite letters these disgusting business practices would change? These corporations aren't retarded. They knew that things like always online, lack of backwards compatibility and inability to play used games would piss a lot of people off, but they did it anyway because they though they could get away with it. So I am going to react appropriately to the gaming industry by treating it like the joke it's apparently determined to be, and not buying into their bullshit anymore.

You're completely right lets keep yelling into the unrelated forums that really seems to be working right? *does small search on gaming news sites. Wow what's with all these problems in gaming why isn't our yelling working, its almost as if doing nothing/ the same things over is not resulting in the changes we so desperately want. O well guess I'll go back to screaming at the bestbuy help desk because subway was out of meatballs last time I went.

We are video game consumers. The video game industry is becoming increasingly anti-consumer. Every action provokes an equal and opposite reaction.

I guess people just really aren't interested in the new generation, so it'll either die down after they're released or get a whole lot worse and go on until the next one.

In terms of the actual users, I'd actually say they're less negative- there certainly seems to be less hate directed at eachother. In the past it was Halo, CoD, 'elitism' and Mass Effect.

Gabe Yaden:
You're completely right lets keep yelling into the unrelated forums that really seems to be working right? *does small search on gaming news sites. Wow what's with all these problems in gaming why isn't our yelling working, its almost as if doing nothing/ the same things over is not resulting in the changes we so desperately want. O well guess I'll go back to screaming at the bestbuy help desk because subway was out of meatballs last time I went.

Yeah, because they don't give a shit. What makes you think writing groveling letters will be work any better? The games industry is run for profit, and the more bloated it gets the clumsier its attempts to rip off its customers. Welcome to capitalism.

Also that's a terrible analogy. It's more like telling anyone who'll listen that Subway has really terrible business practices so they probably shouldn't shop there. Running out of meatballs is an unfortunate event, not a deliberate attempt to milk as much profit from their customers as possible. I can't even think of what would correlate to bestbuy in your example. The Escapist, I guess? But screaming at bestbuy implies blaming them for Subway's shortcomings, whereas no one is accusing the Escapist of responsibility for the industry's shitty choices.

Ah whatever.

I can't remember a time the internet wasn't a pool of negativity. Why is it like this? Because it's a way to get rid of anger and frustration that would drive people in the real world alive. We can rant all we want and sometimes even argue, but no-one really cares about what you say. There's no judgement, there's no sympathy. We can afford to vent, so we do.

That's my hypothesis at least.

manic_depressive13:

Gabe Yaden:

Yeah, because they don't give a shit. What makes you think writing groveling letters will be work any better? The games industry is run for profit, and the more bloated it gets the clumsier its attempts to rip off its customers. Welcome to capitalism.

Also that's a terrible analogy. It's more like telling anyone who'll listen that Subway has really terrible business practices so they probably shouldn't shop there. Running out of meatballs is an unfortunate event, not a deliberate attempt to milk as much profit from their customers as possible. I can't even think of what would correlate to bestbuy in your example. The Escapist, I guess? But screaming at bestbuy implies blaming them for Subway's shortcomings, whereas no one is accusing the Escapist of responsibility for the industry's shitty choices.

Ah whatever.

Hold on hold on, I'm on the other line with the best buy help desk they keep telling me to unplug my sandwich and plug it back in doesn't seem to be working. They ask if I've tried holding down the restart button, IDK don't think i'm getting anywhere, now the lights not coming back on?

Well have fun yelling across the escapist about your problems with M$/Sony/ or Nintendo they'll prolly be by soon to deal with your problems. Also gotta love how you've interpreted, "(Not with an aggressive tone)" to mean groveling. Because I mean hey its not like an email or letter is being read by a human being right, mines-well insult their mother, dog, Sandwich/modem combo (excluding meatballs of course) can't just state your opinion/stance in a well articulated response to the companies policy, make sure they can see your tone and maturity all in one combo.
Keep the outrage dial at 11 gamers those companies are bound to take you serious any day now.

Hatred is not a bad thing at all. Alot of people think that negativity is some kind of 6-eyed demon beast that can only be slayed through the power of kindness. The feeling of negativity can be just as useful as being happy. Really good thing about already being negative is the fact that you won't fall for the same bullcrap twice. Every single one of these companies that get hated upon, have time and time again, done something shitty. Do agree that some people just start hating right out of the gate, with no real reason to.

Eh. I think you're reading into it too much OP. Is that bad? Nah, but slightly obsessive. I understand XBone definitely ruffled some feathers. That's fine. It's ok to call companies out on their bullshit. And then move on. With emphasis on the moving on bit. Say no, vote with your wallet, and forget about it.

Negativity can make for some interesting discussions, as long as it's constructive.

Mr Cwtchy:
I swear recently we used to get a different 'Man gets brutally murdered by demon watermelon' story every week.

So that's where I left the blasted thing, sheesh, can't let it out of your sight for a moment once it gets possessed.

OT though, I'd say that the general moods of communities, online included hang in no small part on whether or not there's an economic slump going on. And as it happens, there is. That makes people more cynical and grouchy to begin with, and a lot more prone to call bullshit on industry practices. When you aren't under financial pressure you are going to let some things slide, but when every cent counts, you want value for your money, and you'll get cranky when you're expected to pay for tacked-on shit you didn't want.

blackrave:

The Escapist forums are great and fellow Escapees are wonderful people

Being great and being negative aren't mutually exclusive.

OT: I get the impression you're talking specifically about the news articles and content creators around here, in which case I wouldn't really be inclined to agree. But ever since Mass Effect 3 released, the forums around here have become more and more hostile, and it seems the most innocent things can turn into massive shit-storms. The cynicism around here when it comes to next-gen consoles, especially from PC gamers -- who stand only to gain things from the game development 'standard' suddenly skyrocketing, hardware-wise -- really burns me up.

Yeah, there are a few big companies in the industry right now making incredibly stupid decisions. There are also a bunch of companies making great decisions. But, well:

TopazFusion:

The reason being, if someone feels negative towards something, or has a negative experience of something, they will generally make it known.
But if someone has a positive feeling towards something, or has a positive experience of something, they generally won't say anything at all.

Why focus on happy things when we can just bitch some more, right guys?

shrekfan246:

Why focus on happy things when we can just bitch some more, right guys?

Mostly because when things are going the way we want we don't inclined to change them, and we don't talk about them because we're too busy actually enjoying them. I suppose.

Whytewulf:

Lately almost every one of these "articles" about gaming seem so biased and unfavorable.

Let me stop you right there. You just mean unfavourable. The articles here have always been pretty biased. You only seem to have a problem now that you perceive them as negative, which is the only time people seem to play the "bias" card. Not saying what I want to hear? "you are teh bias!"

Honestly, you're on a gaming site with articles written predominantly by gamers at a time gamers are under fire from the corporate world I'm not sure what you expect out of things, but if it was unbiased you wanted, you wouldn't be coming here in the first place.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked