Sleep deprivation! How do you react to it?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ah, sleep deprivation. Wonderful, wonderful sleep deprivation. I was planning to go to bed early tonight (last night. This morning. Whatever) because I've got stuff to do in about... 2 and a half hours from now. But after many consistent nights of staying up till 3-4AM, it turns out that that takes a toll on you. So my once premeditated plans to go to bed really early, get up early, shower, eat some nutritious food and go on my way have fallen apart.

Indeed, around 3:45 of today's morn, I found myself laying in bed, looking at the ceiling, thinking to myself "I'm not going to sleep. Why am I trying to sleep? This is dumb. I'm just going to sit here until I get like, 4 or 5 hours of bad sleep and wake up mad."

So instead, I decided to stay up. Turns out someone on my steam friends was also up. This is the result.

Looking back on that... not sure how I feel about it really. I was surprisingly incomprehensible, but now... 2 hours from 24 hours straight and I feel alright. A little cold maybe, a bit shivery, but alright.
Any tales to tell us?

Captcha: Sleep tight
What the fuck.

Sleep deprivation. It's one hell of a drug.

I find the best way to fix an abysmal sleep pattern is to pull an all nighter and go to bed at a reasonable time the next day.

smithy_2045:

I find the best way to fix an abysmal sleep pattern is to pull an all nighter and go to bed at a reasonable time the next day.

I've always done this.
Sometimes I fold and take a one hour nap.
Other times I up the caffeine threshold and go all in.
Usually it's thirty something hours without sleep before I tuck in at a "normal" time.
This one time I went three days on a horrible boat ride (72 - 80 some odd hours of no sleep).

I imagine it's the same effects that some drugs can take on you.
Feeling weightless and heavy at the same time, laughing at mundane things, wishing for the sweet embrace of sleep to take you away.
Pretty bad, but there's certainly worse sensations to experience.

smithy_2045:

After years of working in bars my sleep pattern was fucked up, which was a problem when I got back into normal 9-5 employment. I pretty much did this, I stayed up all weekend and then got to sleep about 10o'clock on the Sunday. Worked a treat for me.

NightmareExpress:
I imagine it's the same effects that some drugs can take on you.
Feeling weightless and heavy at the same time, laughing at mundane things, wishing for the sweet embrace of sleep to take you away.
Pretty bad, but there's certainly worse sensations to experience.

Last year, it was during one of the 3 weeks of hot weather that I as a Brit get a year, I had got no sleep the night before because it was so hot, had done a full days work and was on call that night. It got to about 9o'clock and I get a call out and I was a mess because I was so wiped out, I was pretty much useless but managed to struggle through. I got home and I felt like I was drunk without having actually touched a drop, which scared the shit out of me because I had been driving.

Anyway, for some reason when I am sleep deprived, I get incredibly horny. I don't know why this is but it always happens. To be fair, this is my favourite sleep deprivation symptom.

I react by being extremely tired the next day.

I've noticed that when given free reign of all of my time, my sleep pattern tends to "drift." An hour or two later every night, until eventually I'm sleeping all day and awake all night, and before long it circles back around. When I was living at college but had already decided to drop out, my sleep schedule was completely fucked. Fortunately, Whataburger is open 24 hours a day and serves its full menu at all hours. That was my saving grace.

HOWEVER, despite my tendency to stay up late and sleep in when not at work, I cannot stay in bed for a full day. I did that once during my aforementioned college days, and I felt AWFUL afterward. It literally made me lethargic and sick for the entire day. I don't recommend it, regardless of your lifestyle.

That was an awesome conversation.

So older people are going to laugh at me when I say this, but I can't seem to stay up as much when I was younger. I'm not that much older but damnit, I can't sleep for only 2 hours a week anymore. Hell I still remember going 82 hours without sleep before finally crashing. Now I get tired and if my sleeping schedule is fucked I go to bed, but if I fixed it then I stay up and fuck it up again.

But actual reaction to it? Before I would find work to do and power through that with my extra time. Now I just watch Lps or listen to a podcast until I go to sleep.

smithy_2045:

Yeah, I always try to do this if I have messed up my schedule during the summer. It works wonders!

OT: I have weird reactions to sleep deprivations sometimes. I sometimes react by getting incredibly focused and relaxed meaning I concentrate much better than I normally do. I once went 2 days without sleep and I spent it all studying. Last year I had a period of one week where I slept 18 hours total and I got so much stuff done. The last day of that messed up pattern was hell though. The sleep deprivation caught up to me and I had some mild hallucinations causing me to wonder if the houses were moving around me. That's both the worst case o sleep deprivation and insomnia I have ever had.

I drink large amounts of caffeine and sugar.

I don't really need much sleep anyway I can go a whole day with only an hour and a half of sleeping

I usually sleep 7 hours.
The past week or so I get five hours max, and sometime none at all with a massive hang over.
I even tale sleeping pills but it makes me happy, but not sleepy.

last sunday i finally reached a point where I was not sure if i was awake or a sleep and started seeing things on the computer screen that were not supposed to be there.

I fought it off by listening to podcasts, drink caffine and getting up to walk every thirty minutes.

But my god, I so wanted to do cocaine for the first time in about three years.

so lesson learnt. If you are trying to stay clean, you have to sleep well and keep your mind SANE.

I'm 24 . When i was 16-22 i could sleep for like 3-4 hours a day and pull all nighters once or twice a week and be fine. As soon as i hit 23 it was all over. I needed 8-9 hours of sleep to feel fresh and in shape . Sometimes i now suffer from insomnia . So many times during a week , i'll sleep less than 4 hours or not at all . If that happens DO NOT TALK TO ME . Do not look at me . Do not come near me . For your own safety . Because i tend to be pretty verbally agressive . While i won't actually attack you , i will make you feel like you will be attacked . Or if you are a woman ( because i can't hit women , and can't even pretend i can ), i will verbally abuse you until you cry .

So not good

I sit and yawn for a while. EDIT: I'm yawning a lot right now, because the last few nights in a row have been DARK SOULS NIGHTS YEAAAH.

I'm usually fully concentrated when I stay up, since during the early hours is the only time I can play Dark souls PVP without GFWL being shit and disconnecting on me. So yeah, full concentration required for killing all the CASUL 'muricans who are the only ones up at the time.

krazykidd:
I'm 24 . When i was 16-22 i could sleep for like 3-4 hours a day and pull all nighters once or twice a week and be fine. As soon as i hit 23 it was all over. I needed 8-9 hours of sleep to feel fresh and in shape . Sometimes i now suffer from insomnia . So many times during a week , i'll sleep less than 4 hours or not at all . If that happens DO NOT TALK TO ME . Do not look at me . Do not come near me . For your own safety . Because i tend to be pretty verbally agressive . While i won't actually attack you , i will make you feel like you will be attacked . Or if you are a woman ( because i can't hit women , and can't even pretend i can ), i will verbally abuse you until you cry .

So not good

Sounds like me all the time :P

I'm such a cunt, and I know it...

I have to be awake more than 24h straight before any of the 'fun' side-effects kick in (like the pointless humor or absurd decisions). If I just get less than optimal sleep, I'm mostly just grumpy and angry. But a common side-effect for me is auditory hallucinations. Those can get...Odd.

Well I found out my brother was in the hospital last night, so I haven't slept yet and it's now 8:49 am. I mostly just feel tired, but LotRO has gotten me through the night so far.

I answered this thread because I'm awake in the AM now without having slept. Two other Escapists and I started played Borderlands 2 at like 7PM, and all of a sudden it's 5 in the morning and we lost a guy because he was about to facedesk. Host was in Australia, so he didn't have to do this.

It's like a mild drug for me. Stand-up comedy is way funnier, and I also kind of enjoy it because my mind races way less (a typical occurrence for me). I also have less inhibitions, and am willing to say things and be more loose-lipped than usual, not really care so much about it. Definitely more rambling. I intended for this post to be much shorter, and I just made another post that went on much longer than I anticipated it would. It's all just something for the lurkers to read anyway, I didn't realize how not sociable forums are until I finally got Steam friends.

Pretty well I think, With out my meds I can stay awake for 3 or 4 days at a time (chronic pain is a bitch).
Thing is though I had so much experience with not sleeping that it doesn't even bother me. obviously mental and physical reactions suffer but as my CFS makes me feel like I need a week of sleep even after a good night of sleep, My mood usually stays pretty high :D

Basically..

I'm pretty used to being awake for long stretches, having served in the army, and driving a taxi in university vacations. I rarely have sleep deprivation, but if I do, I get this pattern of alternating very sleepy/very awake. Usually takes about 24 hours before I feel really tired. Most annoying thing is that usually my eyes really sting when I get too tired. Personal record for staying awake is about 72 hours with no sleep, and a lot longer if you count small naps.

When I'm tired enough I lose my social inhibitions and just say whatever I want. Apparently I act drunk. I've never been drunk, so I honestly have no idea.

Well....Idk Pretty sure I also have some dose of it on a day to day basis!
Record I think is 96 hours then 4 hours sleep into another 75 hours
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS!

on a seriousness note... I never did really get used to my insomnia..
Drunkenness/ eye pain/ very little memory

I ignore it. Almost 7 years of no decent sleep/disturbed sleep for me now. Cyan patches under my eyes, dead fish eyes, inability to remember things, difficulty in conveying thoughts and putting words together, pronouncing words backwards, stuttering/stammering, constant headaches, constant pain in the eyes, eyes watering a lot, dizzy spells and the worst thing: Having your eyes melted by 60hz refresh rate monitors. I could never do work in University because of that, it felt like my eyes were bleeding.

Sleep deprivation has odd effects on me. when I'm with my friends I usually come up with some of the weirdest and most absurd humor ever, and that's super-fun. Other times I get a strange bout of concentration that is super-helpful in developing models and editing films. I can usually go running for about 1 day straight and not have a ton of negative side-effects. However, any more than that and I become very compromised, making it very dangerous to drive and operate heavy machinery.

basically upon becoming sleep deprived i go through 8 hour cycles of wide awake and appearing dopy and drunk. but the whole time i never feeling full and have a constant appetite plus also having an upset stomach and not being able to keep things down much

First, I get cranky and easily aggravated, yet strangely alert and focused, basically a case of hyper awareness. Then, I start forgetting things and getting migraines. Then, I start to not notice the passage of time, if I'm lucky that happens because I actually fall asleep for short periods without realizing it. Then, I begin to hallucinate.

My longest sleep deprivation period lasted 74 hours, which came due to a combination of stress and a bad case of insomnia. I don't remember how I fell asleep afterwards, but I slept for 22 hours and was completely out of focus for another day afterwards.

For the past week I've been pretty badly sleep deprived due to a full week of waking up at 5:45 which I'm not used to.
It makes me a bit weird, I'll be quite chirpy. I actually feel less tired on 3/4 hours than I do on 7/8.
I struggle to sleep if I know I'm up early and I start getting really bad panic attacks when I get sleep deprived. I usually sleep during the day too which doesn't help.

I do not deal well with sleep deprivation.

I get horrible headaches, and nausea if I haven't slept well.
I got a ferret last summer, and first few weeks with her were hell, as she didn't let me sleep, I was a wreck.
But once she got used to my schedule and I got used to the noises she makes during the night we started getting along fine.

Can't deal with it.

I've never had problems sleeping, and I can sleep nearly anywhere. I don't sleep a lot, during the week I get about 6-7 hours a day, but I need that sleep.

Every time I pull an all nighter, I'm totally fucked the next day.

I'm too old and have too many nagging health issues to lose sleep. It absolutely destroys me.

A couple months ago I started taking 5mg of Melatonin every night before bed. Since then I've failed to fall asleep immediately and sleep through the night exactly once, and it's because a fucking bird as loud as an air raid siren decided to sing right outside my window.

It is worth noting that you never really "make up" for sleep debt. It just accrues over the years and you gradually feel more and more fatigued.

I'm able to ignore it as long I have got something to do. As soon as I have free time and not enough sleep, I can be out like a light.

It's quite funny really, now that people know I haven't just died on them anyway.

Captcha: boiled cabbage
That doesn't help.

smithy_2045:

This. If my sleep schedule has gone to hell, the easiest way is to do a hard reset. Stay up all night, all day, then get a good night's sleep.
On the other hand, my brain is weird in that, if I have more than 6.5 hours of sleep in a night, I feel rather sleepy the next day. If I sleep about 4-5 hours, I feel fine. Yeah, I don't understand it either.

If I don't get enough sleep, I'm a bit slow for the first few morning hours, but by the afternoon, I'm chugging like a train! So each time I try to go to sleep earlier, I've got too much energy.

One of my more common sayings is "Sleep? Pffft that shits for pussies."
In case that sentence isn't enough to get my point across I'll lay it out plainly. I don't sleep often or very well. I probably get an average of 3 hours a night with many days and nights having me go completely without sleep.

I coped with it by giving myself something productive to do and work overnight shifts at my job :D

Sometimes though when it gets bad, like 4 days without, I'm just a mess. Ornery, shorter temper than usual (and I normally have a hair trigger temper) and unstoppable sex drive and amazing performance.

After that 4th day I start to hallucinate and have waking nightmares. At that point I take a fistful of strong sleeping pills and pray for sleep.

But I can go 3 days without sleep with no adverse effects usually.
Except for extreme boredom cuz I have little to do.

I love sleep deprivation. After the first 28-32 hours are over with, the muscle fatigue goes away for me, as do most of the other side effects. I still yawn constantly though, which makes my jaw sore. But other than that, I suffer very few negative effects of sleep deprivation like most other people. Unless you count minor adio and visual hallucinations as a downside, which I do not. It's like being high, only cheaper.

I can go for almost a week before headaches, eye strain, and cramps start to set in. The only downside to staying awake for extended periods of time is the trouble I have sleeping afterwards. I end up only being able to stay asleep for a couple hours before I'm up for the day, and this lasts about a week and a half. Well, except for the first time going back to sleep, where I'll sleep for about 20-25 hours straight. But after that one good sleep, I have trouble falling and staying asleep.

I hate it when I have trouble sleeping but have to wake up for work. Basically I a am a cranky asshole at work that day and just have enough concentration to work on one thing at a time.

Acute sleep deprivation doesn't bother me all that much. In fact it can be kind of pleasant, like the kind of buzz you get after a few beers. Chronic sleep deprivation, on the other hand, is hell on earth. Imagine being hung over, forever. That's chronic sleep deprivation.

Nothing I can do. I've been constantly tired(I mean constantly) for the past three years. Most probably tied to the fact that I haven't done shit during the days in that time. Always sitting on my ass. Doesn't matter how much or little I sleep.
Evil circle too since I'm also too tired to go out and do something. Have tried working out, but it's the same thing there.
Went to the doctors half a year ago to have myself checked out. They quickly derailed it and checked for diabetes, liver failure and heart conditions. Found nothing and never bothered to call me back.

Captcha: never give up
Heh, not often I get relevant ones.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked