Looking for shows/books/films about lonely people getting friends

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I loved watching Say "I love you" and My Little Monster and wouldn't mind finding similar stuff. Ironically I've had a similar experience to the events in those (but without the boyfriends).

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic springs to mind, with Twilight Sparkle learning about friendship and gaining a new set of friends after moving to Ponyville, if you haven't already seen the series.

JoJo:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic springs to mind, with Twilight Sparkle learning about friendship and gaining a new set of friends after moving to Ponyville, if you haven't already seen the series.

I saw the first episode. Looks pretty nice.

There's the manga Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends but I don't know if it's any good, seeing as how I haven't read it yet.

Queen Michael:
There's the manga Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends but I don't know if it's any good, seeing as how I haven't read it yet.

came here to suggest just that!
The anime is amazing (both season 1&2), I read a bit of the manga but the animation and color of the anime are just too good.
If you don't feel like anime, the series started off as a light novel that has some fans translating it as it goes on.

I'm a bit of an amine/manga guru but it's 3am here so I'm a little out of it so I'll edit if I think of anymore.

I Love You, Man is actually a great bromantic comedy about just that. Your mileage may very of course, but I loved it.

edit: Also, the persona series of games.. I mention it here in this NOT GAMES thread because the persona 4 anime is actually amazing.

Dicken's A Christmas Carol; or watch the Muppet's version!

Spirited Away would be a good one. Only the sub though. The dub censors too much stuff.

Shinsei-J:

If you don't feel like anime, the series started off as a light novel that has some fans translating it as it goes on.

Really? Huge thanks, I always try to read the light novwel first if I can.

You can try Kimi ni Todoke if you haven't yet. It's pretty similar to those in the sense that it's an anime about a shy girl gaining friends and a romance.

Welcome to The NHK is pretty much the GOAT show for this kind of stuff, although it may not be what you are looking for.

There's always The Breakfast Club.
Oh, Anime? I would suggest FLCL but you've probably already seen that.

Two more manga that I'd highly recommend are;
Kagerou Days
And Iris Zero

Iris Zero is one of the most amazing manga I've ever read but it's on hiatus right now due to the artist being sick.
It's been almost a year now I think, makes me sad but I'd definitely read what's out so far.

Queen Michael:
Really? Huge thanks, I always try to read the light novwel first if I can.

No problem, I hope you enjoy it. :D

House at the end of the world is a good movie for that sort of thing.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Quite a nice film, and surprisingly mature in its handling of its subject matter.

Does Lost in Translation count? I'm just going to throw that one in there for good measure.

no specific manga name comes to mind however i know that a lot of them have this theme.

Not gonna lie, there are feels in this. It's not my fault I'm not popular is the story of every asocial person in the world. The protagonist is massively, heart-breakingly lonely and she's an absolutely terrible person. You can see where it all comes from though. All she wants is friends, but because no one notices her, no one interacts with her, she concludes that everyone else must be worthless, vapid idiots as a defense mechanism. How else could none of them like her? Clearly, she's just much better than all of them.

Then someone finally does talk to her and she has massive panic attacks because she has absolutely 0 social skills.

If you're a shut-in like me, it hits a little close to home.

http://mangafox.me/manga/watashi_ga_motenai_no_wa_dou_kangaete_mo_omaera_ga_warui/v01/c001/1.html

Misfits is a really good TV show (first few seasons are on Netflix) that has a main character who gains friends in a non-hackneyed manner, and also features superpowers. [Warning: It's set in a poor neighbourhood in London, and the main characters are teenagers on probation; there is a lot of swearing, violence and general misbehavior.]

If not, I recommend the John Hughes collection: GonzoGamer already mentioned Breakfast Club, but there's also Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Uncle Buck, among others.

Also, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I can't personally vouch for the book, but the movie is excellent.

Of Mice and Men is a great book/movie about friendship and companionship in general. While nobody makes friends during the course of it, it's still definitely worth watching/reading if your looking for something which has the theme of friendship. It's pretty famous, you've probably heard of it. Definitely one of my favourite novels, and I'd say the movie follows it pretty well.

Try About a Boy, it's a book that got made into a film a few years ago, about a boy (duh) who is constantly bullied at school and a man who has loads of material possessions but no friends, and the idea is that they both learn to mature as people throughout the book/film as friends

Persona 4 is an excellent, excellent choice in my book. If you've got a PS2 or a Vita, this game is easily a no-brainer. If you don't then the anime is a more-than servicable substitute (although the game itself is obviously the superior choice).

Not gonna lie, the ending of the game gave me feels. I honestly can't think of any other game that EVER gave me feels.

If you're looking for a show about friendship, look no further.

Some alcohol may be required. -_-

90% of all harem anime obviously

xplosive59:
Welcome to The NHK is pretty much the GOAT show for this kind of stuff, although it may not be what you are looking for.

It is still quite good anime :D

I think your better off finding real people at clubs or something. Sounds like you need them. This isnt an insult to you, just saying it seems a "need" and it sounds like your a lonely person that needs someone. But i could be wrong, and this is just the type of thing you like, if so i apologise.

I guess Hot Fuzz would count but you should just watch that anyway, it's so much fun

Amethyst Wind:
Spirited Away would be a good one. Only the sub though. The dub censors too much stuff.

This

xplosive59:

and that. If you want another good one: Stein's Gate. Although it's a bit less about finding new friends than trying to keep them (*cough*)

xplosive59:

Why is it that I can never be the one to suggest this?

However, do yourself the favour and watch Welcome To The NHK, but for the love of god, do not try to blast through it and make it a marathon. The series can really be depressing and after watching 6 episodes straight my entire weekend was spent in apathy. Great series, but pace yourself.

WATCH BECK: MONGOLIAN CHOP SQUAD!

Beautiful slice of life anime about a loser who becomes a rock star(This is really general, it takes him almost ten years to reach that point I think). Its got everything comedy, action, romance, drama, and an amazing cast of characters. Seriously go watch it dub, the animation quality is poor but the dub actors keep you from ever really noticing it. Great sound track and a great story. Please just watch it this anime doesn't have nearly enough exposure.
Seriously the dub is amazing, for me personally, being able to hear all the nuances in their voices made it 10x better, plus no stupid engrish. Meh trailer, but all the episodes or on hulu if you want to start watching.

Fruits Basket is kinda about that....

also for some reason Evengelion game to mind.

[quote="Dismal purple" post="18.408895.17092057"]I loved watching Say "I love you" and My Little Monster and wouldn't mind finding similar stuff. Ironically I've had a similar experience to the events in those (but without the boyfriends).

A couple of ideas spring to mind. My Bodyguard film/book, and the Steve Martin film The Lonely Guy.

Byte2222:
I guess Hot Fuzz would count but you should just watch that anyway, it's so much fun

I love that movie, and I was really surprised about how maturely it handled the subject of loneliness amidst all the awesomeness and comedy.

OP, have you ever considered actually trying to go and meet people? Watching/reading about loneliness can be fun, but it's hardly a solution.

House MD.

Seriously, its not about the medicine. Nobody cares about the medicine.

The Legend of Black Heaven AKA Kacho-Ouji - Hard Rock save the Space. A show about a has-been rockstar, now a middle-aged salaryman, living a life with no spark left in it. That is, until he meets an alien lady, who tells him that only his guitar can save the universe. To do this he needs to put the old band back together, but it turns out the world has moved on.

It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, and to be honest not that great beyond the initial premise... But admit it, you're curious now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked