Your Voice and You

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So I've got a very deep voice for my age, which stirs up hilarity for my friends and family on a regular basis. They tell me I should be a narrator for the Discovery channel, since I can talk at length with this deep, monotone drawl and not have emotion pop up. Oftentimes, no one can hear anything I say because it escapes their range of hearing, or whatever it's called.

It never really crossed my mind that the mere sound of the voice could actually have more impact than we thought.

So how has your voice pitch affected your life? Is it hilarious, or deathly sad? Does it cause people's ears to bleed, or does it get you laid an infinite amount of times?

EDIT: Since everyone's talking about accents now, I might as well add my own. I was born in Russia and currently living in Canada, but I don't have any accents in both. I can speak perfect English, and if I need to talk to someone in Russian, I just slip into it. I notice that when I speak English, I'm often using shortcuts and sectioning off sentences to speak. Can't really explain it.

You tell me :D

My voice sounds completely different in my head, then it does when I hear it back.

I don't really have an accent, so it makes it difficult to pin down from which part of the UK I'm from :D

Also, I really like Nasrin's voice, and Fappy is sexy.

I actually have no idea.

I personally hate the sound of my voice, but I'm told it's fine. I think I have a very neutral sounding voice since I do speak very quietly, but I do have to speak a little slowly sometimes since the occasional stammer will come out.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I actually have no idea.

I personally hate the sound of my voice, but I'm told it's fine. I think I have a very neutral sounding voice since I do speak very quietly, but I do have to speak a little slowly sometimes since the occasional stammer will come out.

You ain't no Bostonian :D

I don't ever remember you stammering, so good job on being able to speak.

You should be very proud :D

Daystar Clarion:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I actually have no idea.

That's probably because I force myself talk slow. :D

And hooray for not having an accent that's extremely noticeable! :D

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Daystar Clarion:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I actually have no idea.

That's probably because I force myself talk slow. :D

And hooray for not having an accent that's extremely noticeable! :D

Neither you or Fappy have an accent I could place. Neither did Nasrin, now that I think about it.

From what I've been told I have a fairly good voice, it's deep and southern English so I generally get seen as posh and well educated, which luckily I am so it fits me perfectly.

I have a pretty high pitched voice and I dislike it quite a bit. Doesn't help that I look much younger than I am so the voice doesn't help at all. I always warn people on here when I talk to them that I am actually 21 I just don't sound like it.

Edit: Here's an example of my voice. I made this video a few weeks ago as a way to show someone how to make my avatar using gimp.

Some people say I sound American.
Some people say I sound British.
And some people say I sound Australian.

So I'll just say that I sound like a unique combination depending on the conversation.
Though over the years that I have heard it grown/matured ... I don't really like it. :/

When i did raiding in WoW , people told me i sound like a canadian buffalo bill . It made for some halarious moments . I personally think my voice is fine . Although i sou d much cooler in my head.

I've got a pretty thick Yorkshire accent and it's pretty high so I sound really fucking dopey.

I don't like my voice.

My mums birtday is today, so ofcourse i had to sing. The look on her face was pretty much summed up with "oh god please stop.

Relative deep voice, for some reason i always sound high pitched through Teamspeak. Couldn't hold a tune if my life depended on it.

It kinda sucks, but i can make it really loud, so shouting is easy. And fun.

Hazy992:
I've got a pretty thick Yorkshire accent and it's pretty high so I sound really fucking dopey.

I don't like my voice.

'Azey, he come from Yoooooorkshire.

Up on t'internet, typn' posts.

Daystar Clarion:

Hazy992:

I don't like my voice.

Hush Nottingham boy! You can't even decide if you're Northern or Southern!

Coward! :D

Hazy992:

Daystar Clarion:

Hazy992:

I don't like my voice.

Hush Nottingham boy! You can't even decide if you're Northern or Southern!

Coward! :D

I get to pick which suits me best for the situation :D

Pies? Northern

Narcissistic snobbery? Southern :D

I've got a fairly low voice, but I'm also told I sound perpetually monotone/sarcastic. Which can be problematic when I'm trying to give a genuine compliment or convey enthusiasm.

I've been told my voice sounds more girly then my words (if that makes any damn sense) But over xbox live I've been told I sound like a boy having not gone through puberty..which is weird because I am a 17 year old girl..*shrugs* But I do have a habit of getting loud if I'm really excited, and sometimes I talk to low when I'm just casually speaking.

If you've ever seen Scrubs, Elliot's squeaky high-pitched ranting, that's me when excited. Like Carla, only a few people can understand what I'm saying. Usually, however, my voice is I suppose generic British female.

So, for reference: Emma Watson, Sarah Chalke when excited.

I love how nobody but Daystar gave an example of their voice. I think I shall continue the trend.

I have a deep, flat, monotone voice. Very dull and lifeless, with very little emotion showing through. Though to me, my voice is much higher pitched than it really is, and is very emotive. I hate listening to recordings of my voice. It's just really, really bad...

As to accents, again, flat, dull, monotone. There's a bit of a Bostonian accent in there, but it's nowhere as strong as it was when I was younger.

wintercoat:
I love how nobody but Daystar gave an example of their voice.

I would but the only video I have that includes my voice is a crappy tutorial on how to make my avatar using gimp. But now that you point it out I might as well edit it into my post because someone has to!

I have been told I have a sexy voice, and I am sure it has been a factor in my public speaking. I am female, but I have been told this by both males and females. I have never put much thought into voice, but I have had people comment on mine which is the only time I have really ever thought about it. Some have said that I sound like a "valley girl" at times, and others have said I sound like a phone sex operator. I am not sure if either of those are compliments however, as I took both as such a strange thing to say to someone.

I have a friend that is much older than me, but she sounds like she is a small child, and it has affected how people view her so I can see how your voice can impact how one views you.

Well the most recent comment I got on my voice was that it fell just outside the range of normal hearing. Like the chameleon circuit in the Tardis you recognise that it is there but can't focus on it.

Apparently.

Most people say that I sound very calm, and at least three people said that I should be doing morning radio broadcasts because of my voice. And nothing interesting happened to me thanks to my voice.

I am kind of neutral about the sound of my voice, as in I don't particularly like him, nor do I hate him. I don't give my voice enough thought apparently.

Deep when I go Yorkshire, quite high pitched when I change to posh. I consider both of these accents my natural ones, by the way.

I have a high pitch voice that I massively dislike. It's not really high pitched but it is up there. I also trip up on my words a lot of the time, so I'm just a wonderful mess! Though I have been told that if I go on a roll, I can get a mean silver tongue.

I've also had several people tell me I have the strangest laugh, which sucks since I laugh a lot. Though nicer people tell me it's just weird. Though one woman said she liked it.

I'd give an example, but there's no videos floating around of my voice and I have no microphone.

I haaaate my voice. Hate it! I sound nasally as hell and like a 12 year old boy. Then throw in a bit of the Yorkshire accent I have, people from not-Yorkshire look at me like I'm speaking in tongues.

EeveeElectro:
I haaaate my voice. Hate it! I sound nasally as hell and like a 12 year old boy. Then throw in a bit of the Yorkshire accent I have, people from not-Yorkshire look at me like I'm speaking in tongues.

'eyup 'am Eevee'lectro, an' am 'ere t'tell ya 'bout me accent, whippets, Whitby and flatcaps.

Daystar Clarion:

EeveeElectro:

'eyup 'am Eevee'lectro, an' am 'ere t'tell ya 'bout me accent, whippets, Whitby and flatcaps.

LMFAO.

Had enuf of picking on Hazy didja? Thought you'd try your hand at me huh? Shunt ya be in a forest somewhere in ya green tights, Robin Hood?

EeveeElectro:

Daystar Clarion:

EeveeElectro:

LMFAO.

Had enuf of picking on Hazy didja? Thought you'd try your hand at me huh? Shunt ya be in a forest somewhere in ya green tights, Robin Hood?

I think we can agree that as long as we call a bacon cob a bacon cob and not a smeggin' 'barm cake' or whatever the fuck they call it, we'll get along just fine.

I've been told that I sound exactly like my father, so I assume I have a really deep voice. Since I'm a slow speaker, I've been told that I sound, well, slow but very calm, laid back and soothing.

As a result, I often suprise people by either seeming very intelligent since I have enough knowledge on many subjects to make it seem like I know what I'm talking about or cursing in such a graphic manner that I geniunely scare people.

Since everybody is talking about accents, my english appearantly sounds like a mix between generic british english and american english with a slight "british" accent, which is funny since I'm german.

Daystar Clarion:

EeveeElectro:

Daystar Clarion:

LMFAO.

I think we can agree that as long as we call a bacon cob a bacon cob and not a smeggin' 'barm cake' or whatever the fuck they call it, we'll along just fine.

Cob? FUCKING COB? ARE YOU SERIOUS

BACON SANDWICH. Or butty. Or just go to the sandwich shop and gargle and point to the bacon.

I dislike my voice, but other people like it.
Make of that what you will.

EeveeElectro:
snip

You don't have both?

How sad for you.

I've always had a fairly deep voice. It's kinda posh for Dublin, but not too bad. I like to think my voice sounds like caramel falling onto Keira Knightley's face, but I probably sound like an affronted cat. If you are a paramount of humanity who actually cared, you could check out my Youtube Channel, but I wouldn't recommend it. My voice will really just underwhelm you, and breach your expectations of what I, your childhood hero actually sound like. It will be like the wizard of Oz, except with less free slippers....

Got a pretty dark voice, which would be weird otherwise considering that I'm close to two metres tall and proportinally built. On a downside I speak fast, and hell of a lot faster when I'm nervous, so people often have issues understanding me. Have to repeat myself constantly. >.<

Don't have an example or anything. You could check out some of my old singing if you're intrested. I think Metal Pig II: The Journey Out of Hell is the only song where I kind of speak. It's lighter than my regular speaking voice though.
The others songs are what I sound like when I'm taking a dump.
www.myspace.com/wentbad

Ungdomsdrömmar is probably the best example, but dat quality(and it's in Swedish). Your ears will hate you.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked