Your Voice and You

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Swedes says my accent sounds British, Brits says it sounds Swedish, Americans says it sounds weird. I'm fine with my voice though, sounds different in my head as with everyone though.

As a teen I used to think I sounded a lot "girlier" on tape than in my head/than I'd like to. But it's still always been a lower pitch than most girls' voices, which I like.
The fact that I grew up with a bunch of brothers and a tomboy mom with a fairly dominant voice probably had something to do with it.

I have no idea what my accent sounds like. For very brief moments I've been able to tell what Swedish sounds like to foreign people, and from what I've gathered it must seem a very strange language. :P

I'm fortunate to not have a Texas accent, like a lot of people I know, but everyone tells me that my voice is really deep, and really "unexpected" whatever that means. I feel like it fluctuates from time to time, and I have just a bit of an Irish thing going, guess I picked it up from relatives.

Could be worse.

people can never really decide whether i need to speak the fuck up or quiet the hell down, though im very monotone and dont change volume much if at all even when excited, which makes it incredibly frustrating when some tell me to quiet and others tell me to speak up in the same room with the same background noise at relatively the same distance to me DX . i guess my voice is just that mysterious, you cant tell if its too quiet or too loud? i sound like a 16yr old boy on headsets and i dont even recognize my voice in videos some people have on their phones, so maybe my hearing is fucked up as well.

no accent, but someone said i sound like im from new jersey, not retarded stereotype jersey, just a normal person they knew in new jersey. whatever that means.

My voice sounds waaaaaaaay better in my head
I think it sounds as deep baritone
Whenever I hear my voice on record I have WTF moment.
I'm basically Caboose
Compare how he sounds in his own head (the blue one)

to how he actually sounds

Yeah, that's me :(

My voice is actually very different than the way I hear it. I hear my voice as a normal, average, non-unique voice, but according to others, a strange buzz-like sound can be heard when I speak. My voice has even been described as "Turian". You know that strange electronic static/buzz effect applied to turian voices in ME? Apparently I have that naturally. Which is weird.
Also my voice is a lot deeper than the way I hear it.

Lynx:
For very brief moments I've been able to tell what Swedish sounds like to foreign people, and from what I've gathered it must seem a very strange language. :P

While I was in Sweden, I understood what some words/sentences mean, even though I don't speak a word, other than basic greetings and can mutter some phrases. And I like the sound of your language, it's pretty kickass, if you ask me.

On the other hand- some people told me that my native language (Slovak) sounds pretty strange, so there's that.

Daystar Clarion:

EeveeElectro:
snip

You don't have both?

How sad for you.

Ohhh. I call the top one a bacon roll. I use sandwich as a general term but for that bread I say breadroll or teacake (current teacake for the ones with currents in)

Mordekaien:

On the other hand- some people told me that my native language (Slovak) sounds pretty strange, so there's that.

I know that feel bro (I'm Hungarian). Foreigners find my language rather amusing to listen to.

The:
So I've got a very deep voice for my age, which stirs up hilarity for my friends and family on a regular basis. They tell me I should be a narrator for the Discovery channel, since I can talk at length with this deep, monotone drawl and not have emotion pop up. Oftentimes, no one can hear anything I say because it escapes their range of hearing, or whatever it's called.

It never really crossed my mind that the mere sound of the voice could actually have more impact than we thought.

So how has your voice pitch affected your life? Is it hilarious, or deathly sad? Does it cause people's ears to bleed, or does it get you laid an infinite amount of times?

Blegh. It personally annoys the hell out of me. I am 19 yet I think I sound like some 9 year old child. Bah.

I've been told many times by various people (both on the internet and in reality) that apparently I have a very sexy, soothing voice that would be perfectly fit for radio or announcements or something. It's one of my better traits, many would say.

My atrocious sinuses weigh in heavily, so I'm often nasal. I'm from the Midwest USA so I'm not aware of an accent beyond the way I pronounce A's sometimes and slight bleedovers of the Minnesota/UP accents. I'm a very impressionable person so all I have to do is listen to an person with an accent for a few days and it starts to seep in (usually British or Australian). My voice type or whatever you call it is somewhere between baritone and tenor. One notable thing is my flat tone. I easily slip into the baritone monotone which is great for narrating but makes singing difficult. I only get emotion spikes during conversation. It's hard to do intentionally. I also trip over my tongue because I don't talk very often. My speech skill is only at level 5.

My voice has been described as "Dry and Grating."

Not really having an origin means my accent can change and does so form day to day and depending on who I'm speaking with.

My voice just sounds weird to me. I hear other people's voices and I wonder why mine sounds so different.

Here's the video I posted on another thread talking about this issue.

According to one person on there, I sound like that one guy from The Big Bang Theory. I don't know, I don't see it.

wintercoat:

I have a deep, flat, monotone voice. Very dull and lifeless, with very little emotion showing through. Though to me, my voice is much higher pitched than it really is, and is very emotive. I hate listening to recordings of my voice. It's just really, really bad...

This. I feel this every day.

As far as I know I have a pretty monotonous, low voice for regular speech, but I've never heard it played back to me properly. It's not so much my natural voice but the accents I can do that make it interesting. My natural accent is like mild Australian, I don't really consider it an accent, but then neither do other people who clearly have an accent to me, so I don't think that's the case.

I normally have a deepish speaking voice. It tends to be flat and non-emotive when I'm bored, am trying to avoid conversation or have no idea what I'm talking about.

On the reverse side; If I'm relatively happy, or have a clue about the conversation I'm having I have a wide vocal range, though it's mostly jarring when I sing.

My normal talking voice you can tell I'm a guy no problem. My singing voice is high, and I have no/can't sing falsetto. Think Claudio from Coheed and Cambria or Geddy Lee from Rush.

As for an accent I'm from midwest Ohio, I don't know what kind of accent that gives you, but if I have one, that's it. And I hate the sound of my own voice, especially when played back to me.

People always tell me I have a deep voice. But unless I make it go deeper on purpose, I can never never never tell. It sounds totally average to me. I do have a couple videos from an as-of-yet unfinished Let's Play of Kirby's Dream Land 2. This one's from 2011 when I was 17.

Also I've been told that I have a radio voice. I uh, don't think that's entirely accurate either.

thejackyl:
As for an accent I'm from midwest Ohio, I don't know what kind of accent that gives you, but if I have one, that's it. And I hate the sound of my own voice, especially when played back to me.

I'm in northwest Ohio, actually. It's the Inland North Dialect of American English. It was the basis for General American in the 20th century. So, basically, the most normal accent in America.

I think my voice is rather... Not low, not deep, but not feminine either, really. Breathy, maybe? I think I sound a bit nasally. I've been told I have an attractive voice, but that was coming from men I played WoW with, and I don't take compliments seriously from guys when I'm gaming. That and the one who said it is a crazyass Frenchman, but we're still friends.

As for accent, I think I fall in the no accent at all category. I live and grew up in central Canada, and no one has ever had a problem understanding me, not in any online game or in person as where I live has more ethnicities from all over the world than caucasians, anyways.

In reality, my voice is very middle ground, not too deep or too high. However, when it's recorded, my voice sounds awesome. Seriously. I narrated a video for a project some friends and I were working on, and I had to read the concluding paragraph "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
People freaked out when they learned that the voice at the end of the video was mine.

I'm fairly proud of my ability to put emotion into my words. For my Forensics class at school, I read the "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" speech from Paradise Lost. It got... passionate, to say the least. You're bound to get a few raised eyebrows from nearby classrooms when you're loudly and angrily denouncing everything good and talking about how cool Hell is.

A side note: I am really, REALLY proud of my Duke Nukem impression, partly because I can barely do any others (my Walton Simons is okay), and partly because it's genuinely good. Some days, it's stretching it a little, but other days... it's perfection.

You'll just have to take my word for it, that my voice is fucking sexy. It's like if Morgan Freeman, Kelsey Grammer and Patrick Stewart's voices had sex, my voice would be the result.

I have a relatively deep voice for my age, but it isn't really out of place. My dad makes fun of it sometimes, but he makes fun of everything.

I also have whatever a Canadian accent is, or "Torontonian", which essentially makes me sound... almost American? I don't know. I have a slight British accent also that comes out slightly at random times, mostly because a lot of my friends, online and off (though I don't really have many), have British accents, so I guess I sometimes copy them subconsciously. I guess that can make me sound kind of pretentious at times... or something.

I have a Northern Irish accent of some kind, a guy recognised it when I was playing Trouble in Terrorist Town one time. It's certainly not Belfast, although I've lived here all my life. My dad's side is from Lisburn and I talk like them so I.... suppose that's what you call my accent?

I worry that my voice is annoying but I was once told by a teacher I was easy to listen to and well-spoken. The latter, yeah, maybe. He also said I was "very convincing", I was worried he meant it in a bad way but that wasn't how it came across to anybody else.

Anyway, as for how I say things, it's pretty standard aside from "Now" sounds as "Nae" and "Cool" sounds as "Coo-el". I'm clearer than most, people are never troubled by my accent.

I'm pretty flexible, vocally also and have been told I do good impersonations. I can't go very deep, though. I suppose going from that my voice didn't change much since puberty, considering.

scorptatious:
My voice just sounds weird to me. I hear other people's voices and I wonder why mine sounds so different.

Here's the video I posted on another thread talking about this issue.

According to one person on there, I sound like that one guy from The Big Bang Theory. I don't know, I don't see it.

Leonard, is that you?

I see it.

Being female my voice hasn't changed that much after puberty happened. I do however sound different depending on what language I'm speaking.

Observe: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1qlWnYLRrw6

My voice tends to sound deeper when I speak English as opposed to Swedish. And I go all YAY ENERGETIC when speaking Japanese.

People have said I have a nice reading voice in both English and Swedish so yay for that!

I have a low, deep voice, and I'm so soft spoken that a lot of people have trouble hearing me and need me to repeat myself. I spent the first 5 years of my life in New York, and you can hear it only a very little bit. I actually had to train myself to speak using my diaphragm and push volume so that Youtube videos were possible. With my normal speaking voice, I couldn't make Audacity compress or push my voice loud enough to compete with game volume at 25%.

That was probably a little too comprehensive.

I sound...well I don't know.
I've heard my voice via recordings before. Safe to say it sounds nothing like what I think I sound like.

Daystar Clarion:

EeveeElectro:
snip

You don't have both?

How sad for you.

We do! But the top one's a bap. No two ways about it.

I've got a crazy low voice and I tend to speak fairly quietly, which means people sometimes have trouble hearing me. It doesn't really carry over background noise to the same degree that higher pitched voices do, plus I hate having to raise my voice for any reason. Some people have told me that I have a good, calm voice for reading aloud. Personally I feel like I might come off as slightly dopey, or timid.

I sound like a dudebro, I've been told. I'm the guy behind the controller. It's weird though, my voice is way higher pitched in my head, it really throws me off hearing it recorded. Sorry if it seems like I'm plugging myself or something, only recorded example of my voice I know of is a Scorpion King LP I'm doing with a fellow escapist/irl friend.

It's weird seeing how many fellow Ohioans are in this thread.

The effects of my voice have been wide and varied.

When I was little, my brothers often told me I sounded like a white girl. That annoyed me until middle school when I heard my voice and thought I sounded like one too.

I don't think so anymore but I do think it's apparently light and high pitched. I've had various people ask me where I'm from and what accent I'm speaking. But I know for sure I don't have one.

Still, someone once told me I definitely had the voice for voice acting so that is great to know as I aspire towards that.

I also have a deeper voice, and it has led me towards a career in communications and broadcasting.

It's kind of a cross between Brian Bloom and Keanu Reeves, and I suppose that is fine.

I'm a natural, non-accented English speaker, but I struggle a bit with a lisp. So long as I try my best to enunciate properly, you can't tell, but the moment I let myself relax, I sawd to souwn like a resawd.

I've always thought myself quite the deep-speaker as well, but I realized just a few weeks ago that, as low as my voice sounds to me, it's extremely light and childish. In fact, hearing my voice played back to me reminded me of my 13-year-old friend's voice, which kinda sucks given that I'm 18... buuuuut, in any case, people have always seemed to respond well to it. I've been told I have a "charming" and "feminine" voice by several people.

EDIT: If you want to know what I sound like, listen to hentai. I'm for real, that's my pitch.

I've been told I sound like a very annoying boy. You've been warned.

This is yet another reason why I hate myself.

I recorded my voice before in a similar thread here. Wasn't quite my real voice, since I have a habit of trying to imitate a lot of different voices that I hear just about everywhere. Can't really offer any descriptions for my real voice besides being boring.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1UuQ0NdA0Ff

Fair warning: mic seemed a bit sensitive when I recorded, so my voice might seem kinda loud.

I hate my voice, but other people like it. I also hate the fact that I've lost over half an octave of range for some reason.

I'd link to videos of my voice, but I fear the whole "advertising thing."

Fiz_The_Toaster:

And hooray for not having an accent that's extremely noticeable! :D

All you humans have a noticeable accent to me.

Why can't you speak normally like the rest of the intergalactic coalition?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked