What happens when you stay up too long?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well, since I have nearly two weeks off for Easter (best school ever), I've been staying up for days on end to play NWN2. Unfortunately, I have an appointment in the real world which must be kept tomorrow, so I leave for the land of sleep.

That said, what do you lot notice happens to you when you go without sleep for way too long?

At the moment, I'm just seeing faces where there are none out of the corner of my eye. Things can warp around in space too (my monitor was just doing it a few seconds ago), and sometimes parts of my body seem to fly off into space (last part to get hit was my jaw, strangely).

Not much, I just become more twitchy then usual. As an isomniac, I'm used to little to no sleep for extended amounts of time.

I fall asleep.

I suffered from serious insomnia when I was a teenager and still do occasionally. However, my time of service in the army cured me from the worst of it. I remember when we were marching through the woods, in the winter, from sundown till sunrise, with only a few hours of sleep during the entire week previously, I had some nice hallucinations. When we stopped for a few minutes to wait for road to clear or something, I would fall asleep standing up and then wake up just in time to stop myself from falling down face first. I guess the hallucinations were due to my subconscious intruding on my conscious mind, because I did not get the usual dose of unconsciousness we get during sleep.

EDIT: After a year in the service, I have not had as much trouble falling asleep as before.

I went for three day without any sleep one time. That was not so bad actually, since I did not have anything really physically demanding to do at the time.

You know that feeling when you are on an elevator and it just starts or stops? That little "whoops!" feeling? I feel like that continuously until I get some sleep. I also start dreaming while I'm awake. Apparently the dreams are perfectly happy to kick in whether my eyes are shut or not. I also get very noticeable muscle spasms which my friends find very amusing.

get cranky, tired (duh), and if i am up playing late i usualy get twitchy and paranoid that my parents will come down and yell at me for staying up till (insert time between 3am-noon next day) playing RSV2

I start to enjoy FPS games alot more. Either that or the people awake at that hour in TF2 are just nicer.

i double click on the light switch.

When I fall asleep at like 5 am i have dreams of me falling asleep and then tthe me in my drean dreams about me falling asleep so on so on .

Nothing at all, sleep is something I can even stop myself from doing. As long as I have a FPS

I was under the understanding that if someone stayed awake with absolutely no
sleep (including power naps etc) for more than four days one can expect
hallucinations, and as many as six days could cause mental breakdown and with
suicidal tendencies.

I don't feel that bad except that my eye's feel heavy.

Although if I stay up late playing a game then I usually end up dreaming about it in some way.

I talk less and imagine things more. I sort of go into my head rather than truly experience the world around me. I've never gone 2 days without napping though, so I don't think I've gone far enough to hallucinate.

Sometimes if I've been playing or watching a game for too long and it's the last thing I see before going to bed, I'll continue to see the tetris blocks falling, or the Rock Band notes coming, or the scenery going by like in racing games or what have you, when I close my eyes. It kind of sucks.

A sort of (relatively mild) achiness over my whole body, increased irritability, irrationality (mainly manifested as a tendency to make stupid decisions and inexplicable mathematical errors, although I notice neither -- especially the latter -- until after the fact), the obvious fatigue, and my vocabulary retreats like the sea at low tide. I also have difficulty recalling most of what happened while sleep-deprived when looking back on it the morning after, although I thankfully don't get entire blocks of time disappearing from my memory. On the plus side, though, I do tend to experience an upswing in creativity, even if I do have to write the ideas down and wait until I've slept to make sure they aren't completely insane or just plain dumb.

That's all I can think of at the moment (it's tough to recall the symptoms when I'm not actually in that state of mind...); I can't really stay up for more than ~38 hours straight, because after that I tend to crash whether I like it or not. Therefore, seeing as how I've never experienced hallucinations, I assume that point is beyond what I normally reach.

Larenxis:
Sometimes if I've been playing or watching a game for too long and it's the last thing I see before going to bed, I'll continue to see the tetris blocks falling, or the Rock Band notes coming, or the scenery going by like in racing games or what have you, when I close my eyes. It kind of sucks.

Yeah, I've experienced that on occasion; most recently, after playing Portal a lot I'd fall asleep still seeing its crosshair in my mind's eye (which I think was followed by at least one dream in which I actually opened portals, although I don't recall whether I used them).

when i'm really tired and don't go to sleep for at least a day (which is alot for a 14 yr old) i end up never really knowing if i fell asleep or not. sometimes i can convince myself i did but other times i just don't know

The longest I've gone without sleep is around 36 hours. (stayed up all night doing an essay and didn't go to sleep the next day until 10PM. When I go for a long time without sleep, I seem to randomly drift between feeling tired and drained of energy, and feeling just fine. It also depends on the situation.

Once after a night without sleep, I played a game of hockey in gym. I felt just fine. I had as much energy as I usually do when playing hockey. But when doing regular mundane activities, I feel like I had almost no energy at all.

Fire Daemon:
I don't feel that bad except that my eye's feel heavy.

Although if I stay up late playing a game then I usually end up dreaming about it in some way.

Yes, same here. I also tend to get violently cranky (I am bi-polar and this gets insanely bad because lack of sleep automatically induces my depression... Which is why I get violent.) have a very short temper, to the point that I will throw controllers or things I wouldn't normally do. Plus I yell at the TV a lot... And I will hear things that aren't there.

When sleep-deprived I fall into a cycle of being semi-aware and kinda nodding off (usually about an hour) followed by an equal period of total alertness. How many times I hit the nodding-off phase determines just how f**ked up I am in the morning.

When i don't fall asleep longer than usual, my eyes usualy start to burn and i'm forced to close my eyes and sleep unwillingly.

General Mostly Electrified Steel:
Well, since I have nearly two weeks off for Easter (best school ever), I've been staying up for days on end to play NWN2. Unfortunately, I have an appointment in the real world which must be kept tomorrow, so I leave for the land of sleep.

yeah, since leaving school for easter I've spent roughly 23 hours of each day on WOW. I never really appreciated how short the day was untill now.
Still, I have very bad insomnia anyway so this just means I'll be spending the early hours of the morning doing something semi-constructive.

I find that right around the 18 hour mark I start getting crazy-good at video games. Some of my best kills have been at 3 am at lan partys. Of course, that may just be the 4 cans of Mountain Dew kicking in....

My vision starts to sort of warp...like it goes all twisty. But apart from that, if I have enough visual stimulation I can stay awake for hours.
The longest I stayed away for was when I went to Poland:
got up at 7am friday for college, went to college, came back, stayed up all night playing Medieval 2, went to the airport at 3am, got a flight to Poland, stayed awake all day in Poland, then went out that evening and didn't get to sleep until the Sunday morning - so that's...er...43ish hours?

MA7743W:
I've spent roughly 23 hours of each day on WOW.

And your parents don't do anything to stop you?! 23 hours a day playing anything, expecially grinding away at your life, is dangerous... and well stupid! I don't see a game or movie that good that you would be forced into that long. 10 hours, fine. But 23 followed by 1 hour sleep then back again. I think you're exagerating.

If I go too long without sleep my insanity only magnifies and I get needless bursts of energy. Usually all followed by a watching Zakk Wylde videos on youtube marathon.

I don't really stay up too much, considering that something (I figure) in my DNA gives me a caffeine resistance akin to that of a brick wall.

For some reason, RTS games become easier for me if I stay up for a while.

paranoia usually..... increasing my self awareness. such as hearing the floor creak and deeming it as something evil. You know that kind of nightmarish stuff.

I find that when im extremely tired I completely wake up after a minute of excersize, even just getting up and getting something to eat or drink wakes me up. I cannot stay up all night, ive done it like once before but thats it. I need at least 1 hour sleep a night, otherwise I just crash.

Sometimes after a night with very little sleep I will hear my name being called when it isn't.

I actually am able to focus better when deprived of sleep. My eyes start to ache, but other than that I'm pretty much the same as rested, only more alert and almost on a caffeine buzz. Almost like being 'in the zone' while playing video games.

i start to disbelieve the things going on around me, or ill get amazed by the simplest things

also, i get very, very good at any game, to the point of my friends refusing to let me stay awake any longer, i become uber-almightyjoe, and all who challenge his sleep-deprived reflexes and strategies of madness fall

we tested this by seeing whether i was just taking advantage of everyone elses tiredness with a resistance to snooze, but even against fresh opponents, i just get bat-frak insane good.

the worst part is it doesnt last long until i fall asleep at the keyboard and my friends video me playing (poorly) games in my sleep, and post it in youtube

no, i'm not putting a link, its embarrassing.

I've noticed that the intelligence level of comedy that I laugh at goes down.
I've laughed at Hannah Montana because of this. You read that sentence right. I blame the fact that it was 3 AM.

I am by nature a very depersonalized humanoid but when I have had inadequate amounts of sleep this turns to the extreme, but even though I still have the classics: Laughing for no reason, drinking alot of coffee then realizing it only makes you more tired and standing still trying to figure out what I was thinking about only to realize half an hour later I wasnt thinking about anything to begin with.

Yaotl:
I am by nature a very depersonalized humanoid but when I have had inadequate amounts of sleep this turns to the extreme, but even though I still have the classics: Laughing for no reason, drinking alot of coffee then realizing it only makes you more tired and standing still trying to figure out what I was thinking about only to realize half an hour later I wasnt thinking about anything to begin with.

That last line is so unbelievably true. I've had it all day; after playing Team Fortress 2 for the first time last night (folly i know, i should of played it long ago.) I ended up playing it until 11.40 this morning. And have been in a bizarre state of semi-consciousness all day because of it.
Anyway, i find some nights i became really quite focused on my games and generally play at a higher level (not enough to truimph over the Americans at CoD4 though, as a nation they just seem to be possesed at that game). I also find that i have a greater motivation to play games at night, but thats probably more conditioning than something brought on by the power of night: being fairly young i've have grown up with games and so i have been staying up very late to play games for many years. Adios

I hallucinate, And freak out I get uber paranoid about pretty much anything, I see something creepy on tv, i freak out and start to hyper ventilate.I also start to shake and forget things that i've just said and ask people if i had infact said those things.

For instance:
At one point last year, i had spent up to 4 and a half weeks with only occasionally sleeping, Apart from fucking up my eating habits and stress, I started to see stuff that wasn't actually there. So i thought to myself, "Screw this, imma go to the doctors..." So off i went. I booked in and was waiting in the lobby. The lobby was carpeted with a weird patten and if i stared at it for long enough, it started to move and look like water as in the whole rippling effect.

Also, for a period of time, i kept seeing people as what i can only describe as cardboard cutouts.

the point of it all is, INSOMNIA IS BAD MKAY?

I get paranoid as hell. When the heater came on in the house it felt like the whole floor is rocking and I nearly broke down. Luckily after repeated exposure to this trauma I no longer freak out as much. Since I'm not entirely sure what a hallucination looks like I can't be too sure but I've heard voices and noises that have terrified my sleep deprived mind. I think I actually messed up my eyes because when I stare at something there's a chance it might start rippling and get all distorted.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked