Fighting

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Have you ever wish that you could involve yourself in a fight that you could see play in front of you? Have you ever simply been sitting down at your computer, listening to a song you love and imagining yourself fighting for your life against a group of people with a sense of glee?

Have you ever felt the muscles in your arms and legs spasm whenever you watch people fighting on t.v. Trying to resist the urge to copy their movements and punch the screen?

For me, whenever I watch stuff like boxing or Martial arts. I can't help but get drawn into the fights. . .so much in fact, that I feel like an animal inside of me wants to get loose.
It's like I want to jump onto the opponents face and sink my teeth into their neck and rip it out like a beast. Not out of anger or rage, but just for the thrill of the fight itself.

Hmm, perhaps thats a little too much info, but its really the only way I could describe it.

Has anyone else ever truely felt like this?

Yeah, itīs probably one of the reasons violence is so popular in every medium, because people want to have their urge to fight satisfied without suffering the consequences.

...or something like that anyway

I've never actually been in a fight myself, but I know what you mean, and agree with you.
I imagine it's something to do with human empathy, or the likes. But seeing a fight gives you a shot of adrenaline, probably because of basic instincts of 'oh crap, I may have to fight in a min..' so that's probably why you feel that way. But yeah, I get it too.

Having studied martial arts I can safely say from experience that fights bloody well hurt so being able to regularly get into brawls in games without suffering the consiquences of cuts, bruises, lumps, severe injuries and death is a pretty big plus in my eyes, no one is hurt right? (at least not physically).

Yeah, but when I stand there with someone trying to pick a fight I'm hesitant to punch. When the first punch is thrown it's guns ablaze though.
I train/compete in fighting so the instincts simply kick in.

Got a wound on my arm after a street fight once from punching and grazing some sharp stuff. I had intense pain for several days, and a big ugly scar now so I've learnt my lesson:
(street) Fighting is funnier in games/movies

No. I see too much on the news about innocent people were randomly and brutally attacked and beaten up by hoodlums because it 'excited' them. Sometimes children and the elderly. Then they run off in glee and brag about it like they just took down a woolly mammoth.

Those people make me sick.

I think for most people the actual urge to fight,along with the vicarious glee you describe, only exists when they are at a safe remove. Go to a boxing match or UFC style event in person - it's a different, altogether more tragic, experience.

There's an initial energy when both combatants are fresh that is invigorating, but as the match wears on what's at stake for both men becomes clear, in a way it never will viewed through the television. And finally seeing a man topple, whether through being knocked out or having the fight called, is among the most powerful things I've witnessed. Because if they were already wealthy, then you realize they lost a bit of their mind; and if they were fighting for their next meal, then all the worse.

You have to be hungry to be a good fighter; and when you see that hunger in person it's a terrible and fascinating thing.

Railu:
No. I see too much on the news about innocent people were randomly and brutally attacked and beaten up by hoodlums because it 'excited' them. Sometimes children and the elderly. Then they run off in glee and brag about it like they just took down a woolly mammoth.

And I whole heartedly agree with you. People who fight those who are weaker than themselves are just pathetic. I also don't like the thought of children fighting or getting hurt. I'm also not trying to encourage people to go out and attack the first person they see out on the street. I simply wished to know if people have felt the that same thrill when they sense a fight happening around them.

Perhaps, I'm just a savage animal when I say this. but I have to say, that I find fighting to be. . .fun.

With police like here believe me, you don't wanna fight. At least on streets. What cops usually do - take to the station the one that still can stand after the brawl. They'll decide who was right back there later. And nobody wants to spend time in local cell. It's dirty and overpopulated with very bad people.

Dude, dude, dude-- I imagine myself kicking the shit out of people all the time. For example, when I'm at work and I have to sweep the floor, I'll just imagine a bunch of fucking ninjas hopping out of the shadows, and I beat them fuckless with the broomhandle.

I'm sure I'd be shit in a real fight, though.

considering how many assholes out there use their physicality to manipulate, influence, and intimidate your freedoms away from you, i think it is vitally important that people gain some insight into fighting.

not to beat up anybody, but to know what a beating feels like. if taking punches and kicks are the currency of debased social interactions then it's important to know what your freedom will cost you. personally, i'm jaded to the physical threat of a 1 on 1 fight and that allows me the freedom to freely express myself whenever i want.

it's your body, shouldn't you kick the wheels and fishtail the corners a bit just to learn your limitations?

Odd. Everytime I watch fights put by the UFC, or PRIDE, K1, or whatever(yes, those are ALL CAPS, for some reason companies just can't deal with minuscules), I find myself slightly pumped, but more drawn to the mentallity of the action. Let's face it, those guys AND gals, have hefty problems to deal with once in the cage/ring and it's interesting, to me at least, how they mentally and athletically go about it.

I also recognize my pumped-upness is some kind of prehistoric male drive though in the same vein of "Me here. Watch me flex pecs! See? Me powerful!", which is funny, b/c I'm a real klutz, to say the least. Never been to a fight, and I rather unceemoniously run like a deer chased by a tiger if I can.

I guess, we're all just silly animals.
Don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy watching those things, but silly beatdowns on youtube, not so much.

Yeah...

I do Taekwon do to release my "I want to kick things" urge...

Yeah, I always get the urge to bite people after I saw Wolf's Rain. I want to do kickboxing and get good at defending myself and others, but I don't think I have the physical endurance, I might someday though.

My cousin does cage boxing.

No one approves.

I do get this from time to time, definitely moreso when I was younger. Never actually been in a fight, but for some reason I really want to get into a proper one with my best friend, just to see who'd win (reckon it would be pretty even).

I think my urges might be slightly more masochistic. The most fun I've ever had is being flung across the mat into a hard landing, springing to my feet and doing it again in my Aikido classes. It's pretty ritualized and below the level of contact sparring though.

More seriously, humans are semi-social predators like wolves and lions. These urges are present in everyone to an extent. The more 'socially adjusted' they are, the less they feel them and the less likely they are to act on them. A warrior is much closer to his true nature than a pacifist is.

Ever since I read the xkcd comic in this post, I have tried to imagine how a movie-style action scene would play out in various situations. Sometimes it's me starting it, other times it's a random guy starting it.

It's really cool, you should try it some time.

I know the feeling you are talking about, I have an active imagination, so when I read books, play games, or watch MMA, I can "feel" myself get that tiny bit of rush.

But lets be very honest here, that is fantasy violence. Real violence is fight or flight, it is far more scary then fun. I only consider sparing, where the opponents have agreed to equipment and rules and follow those rules that minimize any risk of permanent damage, to be fun. There is honor in a good spar, there is only survival in a real fight, and it can make you feel very guilty that you took such brutal steps to survive afterwards. I couldn't agree more with those who say the thugs who get their kicks from beating on people, especially the weak, are definitely sick, in both body, mind, and soul.

That said, the fantasy fight rush is nothing like the rush of a physical fight, the adrenaline in your system for it can cause time to seem to slow and even give you an out of body experience, where it seems like you are watching yourself make every move and calculating the risks and outcomes. If you are trained in fighting, that doesn't happen that often, usually your muscles have memory and you just work out stuff with out even thinking about it.

Edit: Those not trained in fighting are much more likely to be hurt or hurt others then someone who is.

Sometimes I imagine fighting the craphats at my school... as I think about hits and blocks, I feel my arms and legs move to copy them. This is mostly on long drives when I'm bored, and I rarely get the opportunity to exercise my fantasies... But when I do...

Plus my Kung Fu skillz.

I have never been in a fight (mainly because I am one of the biggest people in my school) but I feel I would really like to be in one, as long as someone else started it (because you never wanna be the person to start the fight (because the crowd already hates you for it)).

tendo82:
I think for most people the actual urge to fight,along with the vicarious glee you describe, only exists when they are at a safe remove. Go to a boxing match or UFC style event in person - it's a different, altogether more tragic, experience.

that's true to a degree, most "armchair tough guys" are like that, by that i mean guys that wear affliction or tapout shirts and think they are tough

most fighters i know, including a couple UFC fighters, get excited by the fights but aren't wanting to go start one. most, including myself, actually just get excited about the fight and don't want to have a fight after. it's just a disconnect i think that ppl in that line of work have really

i've been to a lot of muay thai fights, mma isn't sanctioned where i live due to a stupid sports commissioner, but i love watching them and really get into the fights but i've never had the urge to get into one after.

tho on a side note i'm really looking forward to the UFC tonite, looks to be a pretty kick ass card

Y'see, fighting IS fun ... when you're the victor. Biologically, you get a reward in the form of little happy chemicals in the brain. Hence the "fun" part.

I'm personally grateful I've never been in a fight past primary school - the stakes are too high and, while I am quite confident of my abilities, I've no desire to risk my life nor the life of someone I care about just so I can say "yeah, kicked the crap outta them!"

Every time I get involved in action in games/movies I deliberately grunt and moan etc etc because I have a very bad habit of losing myself completely in the situation.

Railu:

No sense of style. Things like that make me wish we were back in chivalric times.

I always love the Rush from a Song before playing a video game.

For example listen to the following...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-wkoP2PNA

This should keep people off drugs!!!

O_O

Railu:

...link?

maybe i'm just insane but i get the same feeling while playing games, like after playing wii baseball you suddenly feel the urge to dust of your bat...

I get that feeling sometimes when i'm listening to a song or playing a game. I still get a bigger rush out of actually fighting/sparring though (I take Tae Kwon Do, so I spar at least twice a week), that is unless I'm better then the person I'm fighting against, if that's the case it's just boring. It's no fun if it's not a challenge.

Fighting in the street is for fucking idiots. I really enjoy sparring (I do Muay Thai and BJJ. Hardcore 2 da maxxx!!!) but if I'm honest I'd be pretty fucking useless on the street.

I have, there are times when I simply want to fight just to fight! but of course there are other times when I just want to beat the living shit out of a certain person.

Everyone in my town is afraid of fighting me because I like to break bones, so I havent had a good fight in years.

I'm fifteen so i constantly want to hit people, but no one at my school will fight me.
seriously i callled this guy an idiot so he hit a guy who sits near me, and the guy he hits boxes regularly and he knew it.
Either something about being fat and smartish or just people like me too much.

@OP,

Have ever been in a fight? Like a real fight?

I have and let me tell you its not fun. I have several scars on my face and hands were I have been glassed.

Being a bouncer I have also seen loads of people being glassed, stabbed, knocked out and recived broken bones. I have seen guys getting kicked in the face that hard that their jaws were broke and the cartilage hanging from their broken nose. I have seen guys getting their faces slashed so they end up looking like the Joker. I saw one guy getting his eyeball poped out of its socket and then burst on his cheek bone.

My best mate has no cheek bone and no teeth on the left side of his face from the time a guy smashed his face of the corner of a window sill.

I used to be into fighting when I was in my teens. But I have seen far to many people been to badly broken up to get involved in it now.

Remember this fighting, imho, is not you and some guy in school hiting each other a few times over a football game. Fighting, REAL fighting, is what I have decribed above, and it's f*****g awful.

Most times when I watch anime I can imagine myself as a ninja. or something there abouts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked