46.8% (101)
No
17.1% (37)
17.1% (37)
Witty third option
32.4% (70)
32.4% (70)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is modern TV dumbing down the youth of today?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Having just seen the absoloute crap my sister was watching on 'MTV' I feel the urge to ask if the stupid and largely innapropriate content of what kids watch is having a negative effect on kids today (As all the experts call the latest generation the "blame shifters" or some such name).
I think that because TV is constantly showing spoiled, unintelligent brats as role models, kids are following. And I don't just mean MTV, disney channel is worse, the dumbed down american sitcoms actually made my brain cry, I could swear this wasn't the way it was when I was a kid.

Reading back over my post, I'm unsure how clear I've been, and because I couldn't find a like topic to relate it too most of you are probably going to have no clue what I'm ranting about, but still, hit me with some opinions. I want to hear what my fellow escapians thing.

It's necessary to point out that the great Glass Teat isn't just dumbing down people my age, it's infiltrating most people, regardless of age. To quote Fight Club "What I care about is celebrity magazines". We're taught to be stupid, to pay attention to what the face on the screen is telling us.

It's the same sort of psychology as surrounds the 'TV president' syndrome. That is, we believe we understand our leaders because we see them all the time in the media. Never mind the fact that it's mostly spin and propaganda.

TV is better now than it's ever been, both in terms of entertainment and factual content. At least it is where I live.

I notice you refer to MTV and "spoiled, unintelligent brats" so I assume you're ranting about The Hills? The editing and production on that show is genius--it's one half counter-cultural satire, one half absurd melodrama. Other than The Wire I'd say it's the best show on TV at the moment.

We need to ban all reality shows and destroy all evidence of them ever existing.....I HATE reality shows....they are pointlessly shallow drivel....

No, the youth of today is getting dumber. TV is a reflection, not a cause.

Bored Tomatoe:
We need to ban all reality shows and destroy all evidence of them ever existing.....I HATE reality shows....they are pointlessly shallow drivel....

I love Survivor, American Idol, and Amazing Race. I used to watch The Apprentice, but that went downhill. Hell's Kitchen is alright if you enjoy watching some British guy screaming at supposedly good chefs, I usually forget to watch it though.

But seriously, those first three I mentioned are awesome. I've never missed an episode of Survivor, I always make sure I record it if I'm not around.

Sitcoms aren't the problem, the problem is reality TV. Oh and emo culture. I really hope that isn't the fad my generation is remebered for. Like seriously. But anyway... reality TV is dumbing down culture because it has no depth and zero thought provoking material. Sitcoms aren't really dumbed down, they are basically the same as they have always been, and I really mean that

Hunde Des Krieg:
reality TV is dumbing down culture because it has no depth and zero thought provoking material.

It doesn't need to be thought provoking to have entertainment value. They can be just fun and interesting to watch.

Hunde Des Krieg:
Reality TV is dumbing down culture because it has no depth and zero thought-provoking material.

Since when has culture been influenced by television?

Television is a reflection of culture.

If by MTV, Big Brother, American Idol, Reality TV shows, Cribs, One Tree Hill, Neighbors and shows like that then yes they are dumbing down the youth.

Bored Tomatoe:

Thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not alone when it comes to this feeling. I remember when I was little that yeah some shows still sucked but atleast you could find something if you looked hard enough.

Talent TV shows are pretty awful as well, I don't care if millions of random people think they can sing, I really don't.

I avoid television like the plague for the post part. Even the news on the commercial stations has so much spin. And I hate the advertisements. As for reality television, I find nothing entertaining in it. I may as well pay attention to gossip. Eugh.

harhol:
TV is better now than it's ever been, both in terms of entertainment and factual content. At least it is where I live.

I notice you refer to MTV and "spoiled, unintelligent brats" so I assume you're ranting about The Hills? The editing and production on that show is genius--it's one half counter-cultural satire, one half absurd melodrama. Other than The Wire I'd say it's the best show on TV at the moment.

Nope, never even heard of it.
The show that set me off was some retarded thing about rich girls trying to go on a date with some guy.
Horribly scripted, painfully unrealistic and just generally encouraging people to live life in a less than honourable way.

Labyrinth:
As for reality television, I find nothing entertaining in it. I may as well pay attention to gossip. Eugh.

I pay mild attention to that too. :$

Shivari:

Labyrinth:
As for reality television, I find nothing entertaining in it. I may as well pay attention to gossip. Eugh.

I pay mild attention to that too. :$

In a statement of irony, you typical female, you.

I think some TV show make people stupid (Miami ink I'm looking at you) but I can't see how something like the discovery channel would.

TomNook:

Now, it ain't that bad.

I mean, kids are gullible, not dumb. If big companies can take advantage of this when they are young, they have customers for a lifetime. I'm just ignorant of things that don't interest me, so I never suffered this problem.

However, it seems that kids with Foxtel/Other Pay TV over here are generally dumber.

Labyrinth:
We're taught to be stupid, to pay attention to what the face on the screen is telling us.

Then why does this type of TV get the ratings, while shows like The Wire get laughably tiny ratings?

We LIKE being talked down to. We like vapid, dumb airheads. We aren't taught anything. We ASKED for this.

It is not just Tv that has dumbed down the children of today, it's also the need to fit in. I have seen so many smart and intelligent teenagers fall in with the rest of the stupid crowd because of peer pressure.
Music also has a large part in what a teenager does and also the parents for not paying enough attention and just plain not giving a damn about how well they do in school and not teaching them any important things in life.

Bored Tomatoe:

While I agree with you mostly, Insomniac was one of the only TV shows ever worth watching, and it is technically a reality show.

No the schools are.

That is stupid to think that how can you blame the actual schools and not the student.
It is the students fault for not putting in any effort to learn.

I want to say that it T.V. is dumbing down the youth, and civilization in general. However, my confidence in humanity has been so much destroyed that I suspect that people have always been like this, or at least they would have if they had had the time to, instead of needing to work all of the time. It's really depressing that this is coming from a 16 year old...

darthsmily:
That is stupid to think that how can you blame the actual schools and not the student.
It is the students fault for not putting in any effort to learn.

While that is true, our culture isn't giving them the motivation to put forth the effort. This is a complex combination of interactions from their school, TV (and other media), their friends, and, most importantly, their parents.

And, of course, some people are just naturally more disposed towards learning than others

On a sidenote, I haven't watched TV in 5 years. Yes, I own one (though I don't have cable, I'm cheap). I do watch DVDs though, but the only series I watch routinely is Futurama and Southpark (I love a good satire).

Imitation Saccharin :

Labyrinth:
We're taught to be stupid, to pay attention to what the face on the screen is telling us.

Then why does this type of TV get the ratings, while shows like The Wire get laughably tiny ratings?

We LIKE being talked down to. We like vapid, dumb airheads. We aren't taught anything. We ASKED for this.

And I reject it. Fuck that, I can't stand celebrity, and nor can many others. Being schooled to follow television is something I'll never understand. It's pretty much all prolefeed.

TomNook:

yes well said, it's a reflection of society and culture, tho parents can take a lot of the blame too instead of forcing their kids to go out and play or read a book or something

the fact of the matter is in america they shun bright math and science students and celebrate the jocks and athletic achievements

2 great examples of society at large is the speech given by Furious Styles and the Drawn Together episode Foxxxy vs the Board of Education.

i could go on a longer rant about how it's not tv but i'll save it till later

cleverlymadeup:

TomNook:

yes well said, it's a reflection of society and culture, tho parents can take a lot of the blame too instead of forcing their kids to go out and play or read a book or something

the fact of the matter is in america they shun bright math and science students and celebrate the jocks and athletic achievements

2 great examples of society at large is the speech given by Furious Styles and the Drawn Together episode Foxxxy vs the Board of Education.

i could go on a longer rant about how it's not tv but i'll save it till later

Do You know how they pin us? History (The teacher may rewrite it for the say football player may pass but change it so the Soccer Star epically fails {I hated High School})
Oh There's a Topic to this Thread, I forgot...
Children are the horribly truthful mirrors of Society
So T.V. is relative to sociological intelligence (to the young'ons at least)

Nah, it's sympomatic of the problem. I don't watch TV myself but from what I've seen, people don't want to be intellectually stimulated or provoked. They want to be sat down and entertained.

I do believe television in general has dumbed us down though. Sitting in a semi-vegetative state for hours at a time can't be good for you.

I still watch Survivor and actually think it`s still a pretty decent show (seriously!)

TV can do a lot of things to a kid depending on the show. `My Super Sweet 16` spoils them while `Dexter` trains them to be a serial killer. The programming on TV has become so vast that you can`t really blame a single network or show for causing all the damage.

If a parent doesn`t want their kid to become a spoiled twit, they should take it upon themselves to block the channels and shows that propagate such behaviour.

Labyrinth:

And I reject it.

'k?

Labyrinth:

Fuck that, I can't stand celebrity, and nor can many others. Being schooled to follow television is something I'll never understand. It's pretty much all prolefeed.

I recommends to youse this book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebel_Sell

I honestly think that a lot of people who vent about reality TV and the decline of the human race have never watched any of the programs they apparently hate so much. Almost all MTV reality shows are intended to make the participants look naive, selfish and narcissistic--we, the audience, are supposed to be dumbfounded & entertained by the unbelievable actions of those in front of the camera. Why do you think 99% of the cast is made up of brainless valley girls and misogynistic alpha males? No-one is stupid enough to aspire to be like the kids on My Super Sweet 16 or Living on the Edge.

I don't know why MTV gets such a bad rep, it's not nearly as bad as the "24 Hour Pointless Countdowns" channel, aka VH1. I honestly don't care about the 20 Worst Shoe Accessories Worn by Actresses Between 15 and 35... I really don't.

harhol:
No-one is stupid enough to aspire to be like the kids on My Super Sweet 16 or Living on the Edge.

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.

And I might take a look at that book, but from the synopses I'll disagree with a lot of it. I for one see a great deal of forced conformity in the iconic media image of platinum blond bombshells, and I also know that an awful lot of people aspire towards that. All I need to do is wander through the mall and see Supre. It's an individuality of convenience. "Feel free to be unique within these boundaries" style of thing. Having been named a freak on a number of occasions, to my face as well as some sort of insult, I'd be leaning towards the idea that certain characteristics are repressed.

With the odd exception here and there, the current generation was born and bred dumb. Children raised by parents who are still children in their own right, mothers who were only 15-16 when knocked up raising the next generation before they're even adults in their own right. No, TV isn't dumbing down our youth, parents are. Sitting their bratlings in front of the idiotbox isn't doing any harm, it just isn't doing any good either.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here