Metal thread

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

I listen to a lot of kinds of metal. Some of the bands I'm most into are Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Sodom, Exodus, Kreator, Arch Enemy, Rob Zombie, Children of Bodom, Dethklok, Manowar, and of course, Slayer.

I listen to a lot of different kind of music, actually, metal is just my favorite genre. Keep in mind, I said METAL is my favorite genre. Not grindcore, not metalcore, not screamo. Not not-metal. Just metal. REAL metal.

reg42:

Rusty Bucket:

Lukeydoodly:
I hereby revive this thread with the power of PIRATE METAL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99a6DaheLqs

Filthy landlubbers!

Subtle necro much?

I see your Alestorm, and raise you Ensiferum:

Fuck yes

I don't know how it's possible for one band to contain so much awesome. What other stuff are you into?

Also, my thread is ALIVE!

At the moment I'm mainly listening to Folk Metal and Battle Metal. So basically everything from Turisas to Korpiklaani to Ensiferum.
But generally I will quite happily listen to a lot of different types of Metal :)

Rusty Bucket:
[That was pretty damn awesome actually. I might find myself getting a bit more into Thrash in the near future.

I applaud anyone getting into Thrash, without it, we wouldn't have a lot of metal genres. :D

It's not a complete list of Thrash bands, but it is a large portion of the good ones.

I'm into Iron Maiden and Judas Priest; lots of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. But my favourite genre of the metal is thrash. I can't believe that the Big Four of thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax) are playing at Sonisphere (the Poland one) and I can't go!
Lately I've been really into Megadeth, Metallica and Mercyful Fate
(Please don't start a Megadeth vs Metallica flame war)

minispike47:
I'm into Iron Maiden and Judas Priest; lots of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. But my favourite genre of the metal is thrash. I can't believe that the Big Four of thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax) are playing at Sonisphere (the Poland one) and I can't go!

Have you heard any of Bruce Dickinsons or Rob Halfords solo stuff? Cause it's awesome.

Also, Look to my profile pic for my opinion on Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. :D

All the metal I will/can listen to in my collection (In no particular order):

Aura Noir, Black Sabbath, Dekapitator, Dream Evil, Drunkard, Gehenna, Ghoul, Gwar, Impaled, Judas Priest, Kreator, Macabre, Manowar, Motorhead, Municipal Waste, Nunslaughter, Possessed, Sabbat, Sepultura, Slayer, Sodom, Torture Squad, Witchtrap, Tankard, Toxic Holocaust, Twisted Sister, Victimizer, Defleshed, Destroyer 666, Houwitser, Vader, Angel Corpse, Impaled Nazarene (All that you Fear), Krisiun, Marduk, Vital Remains. The 4 original Metallica Albums.

Usually, prog's been my thing, with Protest the Hero taking up most of my listening time. A few months ago, someone turned me onto Daath and mentioned the new DevilDriver album (for the record, I prefer Last Kind Words).

I never really got into the Black Dahlia Murder, at least until Deflorate came out, when I went back and listened to Nocturnal & Miasma. They all have their pro's and con's, but I'm digging the diversity of Deflorate at the moment.

Rusty Bucket:

reg42:

Rusty Bucket:

Lukeydoodly:
I hereby revive this thread with the power of PIRATE METAL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99a6DaheLqs

Filthy landlubbers!

Subtle necro much?

I see your Alestorm, and raise you Ensiferum:

Fuck yes

I don't know how it's possible for one band to contain so much awesome. What other stuff are you into?

Also, my thread is ALIVE!

Different stuff, mainly the heavier forms of metal. Ensiferum, DevilDriver, Lamb of God, Deftones, Korn, Seether, Sum 41, SoaD, Heaven Shall Burn, Pain, Cradle of Filth, Rammstein.... I could go on and on and on.

Fuck it, I've just been reading through bits of this thread and realised how awesome it is. I'm going for a full revive this time.

To start an actual discussion, has anyone picked up Arsis or Dark Tranquillity's new albums? I'm bitterly dissapointed with Arsis, I was hoping for a return to form, but instead they removed the technicality of their last 2 albums but regained none of the melodic complexity from A Celebration of Guilt.

Dark Tranquillity, on the other hand, continue to put out great music. It's slipped a little, but how the hell do you follow Damage Done, Character and Fiction? The guitar's aren't as good, but the keyboard is is pretty nice, and once again the sense that their sound is perhaps becoming a little stale is overridden by magnificient songwriting and a fantastic vocal performance from Stanne.

Whoops, that came out far more review-y than I intended. So, thoughts?

I just listened to some stuff off of the new Arsis album. I have to agree with you, We are the Nightmare was ten times better than this one they are not moving in a good direction.

Rusty Bucket:
Dark Tranquillity, on the other hand, continue to put out great music. It's slipped a little, but how the hell do you follow Damage Done, Character and Fiction? The guitar's aren't as good, but the keyboard is is pretty nice, and once again the sense that their sound is perhaps becoming a little stale is overridden by magnificient songwriting and a fantastic vocal performance from Stanne.

I've only listened to Damage Done so far, and it's so awesome that I simply haven't had enough time to listen to their other albums. I should do that.. Sometime..

Anyway, some of my favourite metal bands are:

Opeth, Ensiferum, Alestorm, Eluveitie, In Mourning, Quo Vadis, Deadlock, Andromeda, Farmakon, Green Carnation, Mors Principium Est, Dark Tranquillity, Blotted Science, Wolverine, Omnium Gatherum, Kalmah, Archeon, Be'lakor, Noumena, Spheric Universe Experience, Meshuggah, Nahemah, Gwynbleidd, Ephel Duath.

Basically, a lot of melodic death and progressive metal + some folk metal.

im a soft metal man. i like Maiden and Sabbath,etc. not exactly soft but in context when you think about all the black metal and cathederal metal and melodic metal and penis metal and no rhythm just speed metal that all seems to blend into one the stuff i listen to is pretty soft. heaviest metal i listen to is Megadeth, don't even like Metallica cos sometimes they go a bit heavy for my liking.

sorry if I'm letting the side down

Sightless Wisdom:
I just listened to some stuff off of the new Arsis album. I have to agree with you, We are the Nightmare was ten times better than this one they are not moving in a good direction.

What did you think of We are the Nightmare? I thought it was an improvement over United in Regret, but still nowhere near the masterpiece of A Celebration of Guilt. So for me, their latest effort is a massive dissapointment. Beyond Forlorn is the only song on Starve for the Devil that hints at what they used to be, and it had me hoping that the rest of the album would be a return to form. It was not.

Ironboot:

I've only listened to Damage Done so far, and it's so awesome that I simply haven't had enough time to listen to their other albums. I should do that.. Sometime..

Anyway, some of my favourite metal bands are:

Opeth, Ensiferum, Alestorm, Eluveitie, In Mourning, Quo Vadis, Deadlock, Andromeda, Farmakon, Green Carnation, Mors Principium Est, Dark Tranquillity, Blotted Science, Wolverine, Omnium Gatherum, Kalmah, Archeon, Be'lakor, Noumena, Spheric Universe Experience, Meshuggah, Nahemah, Gwynbleidd, Ephel Duath.

Basically, a lot of melodic death and progressive metal + some folk metal.

Your taste in music is brilliant. I'm very happy to see Mors Principium Est on that list, and you score massive points for including Alestorm and Ensiferum.

As for Dark Tranquillity, they're the only band that I can go back to and over and over again and know that I'll find something new every time. There are songs that are instantly gratifying, but perhaps don't last as long, and then there are ones that are harder to listen to but have more to give. What typically happens is I'll start listening to a song and love it, then keep listening to it for the next week while focusing on the guitars. Then I'll leave a bit, and when I go back I'll be enjoying the vocals, then when I go back again I'll be focused on the lyrics. I never get bored of them, ever. You definitely shold have a listen to their other stuff. Their best is probably Damage Done, Character, Fiction and, in my opinion, We are the Void. I haven't listened to too much of their older stuff though, but I expect it's bloody fantastic.

I wrote way more than I intended. Whoops.

Savatage for the win!!!

In the Hall of the Mountain King !!!!

Can anyone confirm that metallica and slayer are touring together?

I'm listening 2 a lot of slayer and tool right now, also a bit of S.O.A.D

minispike47:

lately slayer have much more about death metal

Years ago I started with Metallica, Maiden and Priest. I've heard most of their stuff(Priest's early stuff not included). From then I moved on to Nightwish, Within Temptation and the like. Nowadays I'm listening to Therion and Iced Earth, with Camelot and Spellblast on the rise too.

=X

Rusty Bucket:

Sightless Wisdom:

What did you think of We are the Nightmare? I thought it was an improvement over United in Regret, but still nowhere near the masterpiece of A Celebration of Guilt. So for me, their latest effort is a massive dissapointment. Beyond Forlorn is the only song on Starve for the Devil that hints at what they used to be, and it had me hoping that the rest of the album would be a return to form. It was not.

I actually thought We are the Nightmare was their best. It seemed to be the most progressive, as in there were many changes of pace, the guitar never got repetitive and the drums had interesting beats that weren't just the same old deathmetal beats. It was only slightly better than A celebration of Guilt in my opinion.

silver wolf009:

They are, for the Big Four Tour.

Sightless Wisdom:

silver wolf009:

They are, for the Big Four Tour.

praise to the metal gods!!

Sightless Wisdom:

I actually thought We are the Nightmare was their best. It seemed to be the most progressive, as in there were many changes of pace, the guitar never got repetitive and the drums had interesting beats that weren't just the same old deathmetal beats. It was only slightly better than A celebration of Guilt in my opinion.

I can see what you mean there, it's definitely an interesting listen. That said, for me there's something missing from it. I don't really know how to describe it, it just feels a bit empty, a little too clean and precise. I enjoy listening to it, but for me it'll never keep me coming back like A celebration of guilt has.

Oh boy, an opportunity to talk about music - huzzah for thread necromancy. I shall hereby make ordered lists!

As you might have noticed if you clicked either of those boxes, I rather like metal. I stick mainly to the Symphonic, Gothic, Power, Folk, Melodic, and Progressive varieties, though I like the odd Black, Melo-Death, or Metal-core bands as well (and of course some bands combine those elements with several other sub-genres to produce something unique).

Rusty Bucket:

And thank you for reminding me that they have brought out a new album. Though Haven, The Mind's I and The Gallery are quite good too. Never favored Stanne's clean voice. Makes me cringe. Which is why I never liked Projector.

OT: A metal band I rediscovered lately is Disarmonia Mundi. And I most say that I prefer Björn in this band rather than Soilwork. The Isolation Game is what you call 'perfecting its genre(s).'

Savory:

And thank you for reminding me that they have brought out a new album. Though Haven, The Mind's I and The Gallery are quite good too. Never favored Stanne's clean voice. Makes me cringe. Which is why I never liked Projector.

OT: A metal band I rediscovered lately is Disarmonia Mundi. And I most say that I prefer Björn in this band rather than Soilwork. The Isolation Game is what you call 'perfecting its genre(s).'

His clean vocals have improved so much on their latest album. It doesn't sound anything like his old stuff at all. I haven't gotten into The Gallery all that much, although after watching their live DVD and hearing some of the stuff from it I may give it a better listen.

Gildan Bladeborn:
Oh boy, an opportunity to talk about music - huzzah for thread necromancy. I shall hereby make ordered lists!

As you might have noticed if you clicked either of those boxes, I rather like metal. I stick mainly to the Symphonic, Gothic, Power, Folk, Melodic, and Progressive varieties, though I like the odd Black, Melo-Death, or Metal-core bands as well (and of course some bands combine those elements with several other sub-genres to produce something unique).

Holy crap. Those are some damn fantastic lists. I can't really comment on the content of them since I haven't heard of most of the bands though. Although this does say something about the variety of metal. I have nearly 5 days worth of metal on my Itunes, but you've just given me a massive list of bands that I've never heard of.

Anyone hear news of In Flames? I wanna know what's happening with the new album now that the guitar player left. I always liked their stuff. Sometimes the keyboards got annoying, but other than that their new stuffs good. Old stuff is great of course: classic Gothenburg death metal.

Rusty Bucket:
His clean vocals have improved so much on their latest album. It doesn't sound anything like his old stuff at all. I haven't gotten into The Gallery all that much, although after watching their live DVD and hearing some of the stuff from it I may give it a better listen.

What's the verdict on the new album? Like not so much "good or bad" because I know it'll be good--it's Dark Tranquillity--but I wanna know how it compares the their other stuff. And The Gallery is another Gothenburg scene classic.

And I always liked his clean vocals, but that's me.

Rusty Bucket:

Gildan Bladeborn:

Holy crap. Those are some damn fantastic lists. I can't really comment on the content of them since I haven't heard of most of the bands though. Although this does say something about the variety of metal. I have nearly 5 days worth of metal on my Itunes, but you've just given me a massive list of bands that I've never heard of.

Oh good, that was exactly the effect I was going for and the utility I hoped somebody might derive from those lists (though honestly I just like making lists no matter how useless, heh) - validation, whee! Also: All together my current collection of metal can play for just over a week without repeating - thanks for prompting me to do the math, heh.

I found the majority of those bands via the front end of the Music Genome Project, Pandora, which is a wonderful resource for discovering music you've never heard yet clearly would enjoy given the commonalities it shares with music you know about now. One that sadly won't help you much given your listed location of the UK, since Pandora doesn't broadcast in your region thanks to royalty issues (there are probably ways around that of course, but you didn't hear that from me).

In other metal related tangents: You (and anyone else posting in this thread that actually likes metal) should consider joining The Metal Group here on the Escapist - the more the merrier!

Gildan Bladeborn:
I found the majority of those bands via the front end of the Music Genome Project, Pandora, which is a wonderful resource for discovering music you've never heard yet clearly would enjoy given the commonalities it shares with music you know about now. One that sadly won't help you much given your listed location of the UK, since Pandora doesn't broadcast in your region thanks to royalty issues (there are probably ways around that of course, but you didn't hear that from me).

In other metal related tangents: You (and anyone else posting in this thread that actually likes metal) should consider joining The Metal Group here on the Escapist - the more the merrier!

Another great music recommendation thingy is last.fm. It tracks the music you listen to with a simple application and recommends similar bands. It's also a great site to simply show others your music taste and compare it. My profile, if anyone's interested.

I'll join the metal group immediately!

pantallica95:

Rusty Bucket:

What's the verdict on the new album? Like not so much "good or bad" because I know it'll be good--it's Dark Tranquillity--but I wanna know how it compares the their other stuff. And The Gallery is another Gothenburg scene classic.

And I always liked his clean vocals, but that's me.

Well, I don't think it's as good as their last few albums, but then how the hell are you supposed to follow those? Not being as good as Damage Done is perfectly acceptable. I think the new album has a bit too much filler, and the guitars have been toned down a bit to make way for more keyboards, but even the worst songs on the album are still perfectly listenable, and since it's Dark Tranquillity they're substantially better than a lot of other bands efforts. Well worth picking up.

Classic Metal,
ya know,
Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Metallica
and
Gamma Ray, Twisted Sister (I know, its hair metal), Bon Jovi, the list goes on and on

But I cant stand Death Metal and "new metal", ya know, crap like SlipKnot, cant stand them

At the moment I really like more Progressive stuff, like Protest the hero, Sikth and Gojira. I love Machine head, and In flames or soilwork's older stuff. And of course anything by Devin townsend. I can't really pin down any specific style of metal I like, I like at least one band from nearly every style, even the more maligned ones like Metalcore (early killswitch Engage) or nu-metal (Korn and Soulfly).

Gildan Bladeborn:

Oh good, that was exactly the effect I was going for and the utility I hoped somebody might derive from those lists (though honestly I just like making lists no matter how useless, heh) - validation, whee! Also: All together my current collection of metal can play for just over a week without repeating - thanks for prompting me to do the math, heh.

A week is pretty damn impressive. I'll admit I'm quite fussy when it comes to what metal I like, so my collection progresses somewhat slower than most people's.

Ahhhh Pandora. I used to use it all the time before they cut off access to the UK, if only for the hilarious descriptions for some bands (how does 'Abrasive male vocals, downtuned guitars, unintelligible vocal delivery' sound?). I have tried a few times to access it via proxy's, but it always comes up with an error. I have to settle for Last.fm, which I don't think is quite as good.

I had actually joined that group minutes before I checked this quoute, but thankyou for the reccomendation. It looks like a decent place to chat, even if it does make me question the validity of this thread somewhat.

Rusty Bucket:

Savory:

Also found The Gallery to be the one hardest to get into. But once you do, it's great. And yes his vocals on The Mundane and the Magic is great along side with Nell Sigland. As long as he keeps it to a minimum, then it's fine with me.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked