Demons and Wizards
Arcturus
Therion
Opeth
Dark Tranquility
Bruce Dickinsn solo
Bathory
Judas Priest
Okay, top eleven. May be out of order, but I can't pick between these bands.

Whaaaaaa?
NO DREAM THEATER?!?!?!?

dethklok is the most brutal band ever!!! die for dethklok! but seriously though, I do like their music. I tend to stick to the more melodic type metal, but speedmetal is great for working out with.

Musimo:
Rock and Roll is better.

Haven't you heard? Rock and Roll is dead.

I love lamb of god, Iron maiden, amon amarth, statc-x and slayer. Also listen to alot of lesser-kwon canadian bands(3 inches of blood, neuraxis, kataklysm) as well as damn near anything of loud.

I'm really into Dream Theater, they're progressive metal for those who don't know about them. I also really like Disturbed, and if System of a Down (if you count them as metal).

KaZZaP:
I think they're classified as NuMetal (whatever the fuck that means) but System of a Down is one of my top fav bands. I got to see them live and now i'm just hoping they will release another album soon... damn Serj's solo project!

It's not just Serj. Daron decided that he would go off and make his own band, Scars on Broadway. Also since everybody else left Shavo went and joined a different band. Lucky you got to see them live, it might never happen again.

tikiwargod:

How dare you even say that Rock and Roll is dead. Well this just shows how little metal heads know about the rock industry.

Too-Long-Don't-Read Summary: I enjoy a wide variety of Metals, particularly from European bands, mainly from Finnland.

Shiuz91:
How dare you even say that Rock and Roll is dead. Well this just shows how little metal heads know about the rock industry.

Uh...how?

My Hierarchy (with two examples of bands I like):
1. Melodic Power Metal (Helloween, Sonata Arctica)
2. Thrash Metal (I'm thinking more Megadeth and Metallica than Slayer)
3. Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden)
4. Death Metal, and by death metal, I mean Children of Bodom and Into Eternity. I hate any other kind of screaming vocals.
5. Neo-Classical Metal (Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio)
6. Prog Metal (Symphony X, Kamelot, NOT Dream Theater by any means)
7. Old-School (Black Sabbath, Deep Purple)

That's the good stuff. I could care less about other subgeneres.

Shiuz91:

tikiwargod:

If rock has become an "industry," it's deader than you think, and it doesn't take a metalhead to know that.

ANTI-SANTA:
I'm more into Classic Rock. I used to be REALLY into metal but I like Classic Rock better. Also I really don't like those band that just thrash the hell out of their guitars and just scream, I like my metal to actually have some rythm.

I can understand you not liking it, but to say it has no rhythm is just plain idiotic. Why do people hear growled vocals and instantly assume the band is talentless and has put no effort into there music?

since everyone else is doing this, here's my top list (in no order):
The Absence
Dark Tranquillity
Mors Principium Est
Abigail Williams
Archons
Prey for Nothing
Arsis
At the Gates
Behemoth

*Cough*
CRADLE OF FILTH RULES! WHOO!
That having been said, bye.

Anyone who likes their Death to have a bit of groove and bounce needs Grave's Soulless in their lives.

The_Deleted:
Anyone who likes their Death to have a bit of groove and bounce needs Grave's Soulless in their lives.

Death metal should never have bounce or groove. Morbo says: "YOU'RE DOING DEATH METAL WRONG! BLEARGH!"

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

Death metal should never have bounce or groove. Morbo says: "YOU'RE DOING DEATH METAL WRONG! BLEARGH!"

Depends what type of death metal. If it's melodic death then it very likely has some groove elements somewhere.

Rusty Bucket:

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

Depends what type of death metal. If it's melodic death then it very likely has some groove elements somewhere.

A melody isn't something you groove to. It's something you enjoy as part of the art. If you can "dance" to it in any way other then punching someone in the face, the word "death" should in no way be in the genre's name. If there is grooveability, then it's Groove Metal... And then, is it really metal? And not just some guy yelling to disco?

TheNecroswanson:

Rusty Bucket:

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

A melody isn't something you groove to. It's something you enjoy as part of the art. If you can "dance" to it in any way other then punching someone in the face, the word "death" should in no way be in the genre's name. If there is grooveability, then it's Groove Metal... And then, is it really metal? And not just some guy yelling to disco?

Pantera are groove metal.

WeedWorm:

TheNecroswanson:

Rusty Bucket:

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

And everyone seems to like them....I don't. BYE!

Lukeydoodly:

WeedWorm:

TheNecroswanson:

Rusty Bucket:

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

And everyone seems to like them....I don't. BYE!

Quickly, engage flamesheild!!!

TheNecroswanson:

Whoah now, don't be so hasty, there. The Japanese band Maximum the Hormone have some pretty bouncy songs, and the vocals are still fantastic.

I gotta say lately ive been listening to some epic metal by the band Blind Guardian, which was actually suggested to me by a member of this very forum, its alot like dragonforce with less focus on guitar and more focus on vocals (not to say the guitar isn't good), but above all i love the strong song composition.

TheNecroswanson:

Rusty Bucket:

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

What i meant by groove was the kind of rhythm that hugely encourages headbanging. Like this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYIj7eDz8X0
A lot of the riffs in that are very groove based, and you can't say it's not metal.

Gahars:

Musimo:
Rock and Roll is better.

I'd agree, but I can enjoy some metal

I'm not a huge fan, but I have to admit, the instrumental work is pretty great. However, I do feel, generally, that metat is weaker lyrically than other forms of music.

I agree with you both. Don't know what else to say!

(Does Alice in Chains count? :P...they were metal-y)

Dream Theater, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Maiden...basically any band that's been around for a while...

I've got a lot of respect for bands who can be heavy without tuning their guitars down several tones (that said i'm not anti downtuning).

I do however think growling is overused. I'd rather a James LaBrie, Bruce Dickinson or Layne Staley anyday.

TheNecroswanson:

Rusty Bucket:

TheNecroswanson:

The_Deleted:

There is nothing Disco about Soulless.

I'm going to In Extremo tonight fuckaaas!

:D Yay for me.

jockslap:
I gotta say lately ive been listening to some epic metal by the band Blind Guardian, which was actually suggested to me by a member of this very forum, its alot like dragonforce with less focus on guitar and more focus on vocals (not to say the guitar isn't good), but above all i love the strong song composition.

In other words, Blind Guardian are a real metal band. Check out the next few bands in Blind Guardian is your thing:

Iced Earth
Helloweed
Mystic Prophecy
Falconer
Therion
Kamelot
Ayreon
Demons and Wizards (Blind Guardian + Iced Earth)
Symphony X
Tad Morose

Thank me later.

SOme bands I would like to recommend:

Solitude Aeternus
Tad Morose
Windir
Falconer
Moonspell
Setherial
Thyrfing
Isengard
The Summoning

Brokkr:
I'm a big fan of Progressive, Power, and Symphonic Metal.

Yeah me too , what bands do you listen to?

Dart378:

Arsen:
Top ten of all time.

Iron Maiden
Iced Earth (pre-Horror Show days)
Blind Guardian
Demons and Wizards
Arcturus
Therion
Opeth
Dark Tranquility
Bruce Dickinsn solo
Bathory
Judas Priest
Okay, top eleven. May be out of order, but I can't pick between these bands.

Whaaaaaa?
NO DREAM THEATER?!?!?!?

How dare he, may he die in a fire, excluding DT!

Damn, apologies for the double post.

Why do people like dream theater so much? I really don't understand. Some of the guitar's pretty damn good, i admit, but that's it.

Yay for ranking stuff!

genres...
doom metal
stoner metal
drone metal
thrash metal (crossover > trad)
grindcore (grind > cybergrind > noisegrind)
black metal (depressive > melodic > brutal)
deathcore
death metal (brutal > melodic)
NWOBHM
a slow painful death
symphonic metal
power metal

Rusty Bucket:

PMetal:

Musimo:
Rock and Roll is better.

NO U.

I listen to any melodic metal such as Kalmah or Dark Moor and so on.

You should have a listen to Mors Principium Est and The Absence (the amount of times i've mentioned them in this thread is getting ridiculous).

I've recently started listening to more Behemoth. Demigod specifically. Nergal's layered vocals used to irritate me but now i quite like them. They fit very well with the rest of the instruments.

Rusty Bucket:

PMetal:

Musimo:
Rock and Roll is better.

NO U.

I listen to any melodic metal such as Kalmah or Dark Moor and so on.

You should have a listen to Mors Principium Est and The Absence (the amount of times i've mentioned them in this thread is getting ridiculous).

I've recently started listening to more Behemoth. Demigod specifically. Nergal's layered vocals used to irritate me but now i quite like them. They fit very well with the rest of the instruments.

hey thanks for the Mors Principium Est suggestion me likes

Rusty Bucket:
Why do people like dream theater so much? I really don't understand. Some of the guitar's pretty damn good, i admit, but that's it.

Clearly you know music like I know quantum physics...

What do people like about Dream Theater? Perhaps that they have some of the best of all time in each instrument?

John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, John Myung, Jordan Rudess... ? Are you kidding me? These guys have absolutely mastered their instruments to the point they're not longer instruments, they're extensions of themselves.

Listen to ALL their live performances. ALL of them. You can count by the fingers of your hand how many times they make the smallest mistake in all of their performances together.

James LaBrie is also a pretty good singer mind you, although arguably he's the "weaker" member in comparison.

Maybe you don't like the musics, that's fine, it's a matter of taste, but you have absolutely no way to argue that they're not technically sound.

Then again I should doubt the taste of anyone whose top 10 metal favorites of all time figure a crushing majority of bands from the 2000's...Not to say I'm stuck with glorified nostalgic vision of the past that will not accept anything from the present as good. I do think some pretty good metal bands have risen lately (amidst all the shit), but except for 1 or 2 shinning exemplars there is yet to be a truly epic metal band since the 80's, early 90's.

Where are the Iron Maidens, the Black Sabbaths, the Megadeths, The Panteras, the Metallicas and the Dream Theaters of our days? Not saying any of those bands (except for Black Sabbath and Pantera...Ok, and Megadeth) are dead, but where all of those were born over 20 years ago. Where are the ones born in this age?

Again, except for 1 or 2 shinning examplars: Nowhere to be found.

My two favorites are Apocalyptica and Demon Hunter. I know they're odd choices but hey, it's what I like. I listen to Metallica's good stuff, pretty much nothing after Black Album is any good IMO.

I listen to any good metal to me, regardless of genre. Top metal bands:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Dio
Rammstein
Nightwish
Megadeth
Metallica
Dream Theater

"Grunge tried to kill the metal... they failed, as they were cast to the ground!!!"

Uh... I like metal stuff too, it's good music most of the time, and is great background music for multiplayer games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked