Metal thread

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Snakktastic:

And wtf is with this Christian Metal crap i've been reading about.

It's metal except with lyrics that either "glorify God" or are at least acceptable for Christians to listen to. Most of it is actually a good enough substitute for some of the mainstream stuff, for instance, Demon Hunter actually has some really good music. There are some people out there who say that metal can never be Christian, but apparently it's being accomplished. And if you ask me, they've done a good job of it (As I Lay Dying and Demon Hunter serve as positive examples).

"You can't kill the metal...the metal will live on."

darthzew:

Snakktastic:

It's metal except with lyrics that either "glorify God" or are at least acceptable for Christians to listen to. Most of it is actually a good enough substitute for some of the mainstream stuff, for instance, Demon Hunter actually has some really good music. There are some people out there who say that metal can never be Christian, but apparently it's being accomplished. And if you ask me, they've done a good job of it (As I Lay Dying and Demon Hunter serve as positive examples).

Metal was never "evil" to begin with. It's a neutral artform of music. The maker of the band will decide what he or she does with the ability to create this art.

Plus even then listening to metal is the same thing as reading a novel, watching a movie, etc. It's fantasy, it's a fictional story, and I for one can't stand the whole "metal is supposed to be evil" standpoint of it.

Not all metal is Anti-Christian just because they sing about things the average, denominational Christian would find "offensive". It's no different than loving a villian in a fictional show.

I'm a huge fan of power metal and the classic stuff. but as far as the heavy kind of stuff I'd recommend a band from my home called Hellacaust. not only do they kick ass on stage they are quite fun in a mosh pit. check them out http://www.myspace.com/hellacaust

KoRn, Disturbed and System of a Down are 3 of my favorite metal bands. I listen to a lot of rock and punk, like Muse, Good Charlotte and Linkin Park.

Fraught:
KoRn, Disturbed and System of a Down are 3 of my favorite metal bands. I listen to a lot of rock and punk, like Muse, Good Charlotte and Linkin Park.

Those aren't metal bands. Those are nu-metal, hard rock, and sazy hard rock.

Arsen:

darthzew:

Snakktastic:

Metal was never "evil" to begin with. It's a neutral artform of music. The maker of the band will decide what he or she does with the ability to create this art.

Plus even then listening to metal is the same thing as reading a novel, watching a movie, etc. It's fantasy, it's a fictional story, and I for one can't stand the whole "metal is supposed to be evil" standpoint of it.

Not all metal is Anti-Christian just because they sing about things the average, denominational Christian would find "offensive". It's no different than loving a villian in a fictional show.

I agree, but I have to see their point a little. Normally when you listen to music, you listen to a song over and over again, and if it's good enough it'll get stuck in your head. I'm pretty sure that's what most of them avoid. They don't wanna hear anti-Christian messages or swear-words repeatedly because it in some way affects you.

...but on the flip-side there are the bigots. The ones who think that there is no way that metal can ever be good. For instance, Demon Hunter took a ton of flack from "traditional Christians" because "good Christians" shouldn't mosh or scream.

Honestly, as a Christian myself, I think those "traditional Christians" are bigots and nothing else. That so-called "traditional" stuff is wrong and it's not doing any good for Christianity. There is seriously no way that people that intolerant can worship the same Jesus that I do.

I find a lot of metal annoying to listen to for fun, but it makes GREAT music to play Chromehounds to....

Arsen:

Fraught:

Those aren't metal bands. Those are nu-metal, hard rock, and sazy hard rock.

As far as I know, System of a Down is alternative metal, and alternative and nu-metal, both are metal.

I don't listen to the likes of Cannibal Corpse, Arch Enemy and things like that.

Oh yeah, I listen to Children of Bodom too.

conqueror Kenny:
I love thrash metal. If it's thrash then there is a good chance I know it and like it. Unless it's some of the new stuff that claims to be Thrash but is closer to Metalcore or even Nu-Metal.

agreed i like lots of rock its the only music i listen to. Its all under the category of rock and nothing else

What the hell lets do my ten favourite metal bands as well

Electric Wizard
Converge
Nortt
BORIS
Evoken
Municipal Waste
S.O.D
Black Sabbath
Sunn o)))
Earth

Cryptopsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caliostro:

Rusty Bucket:
Why do people like dream theater so much? I really don't understand. Some of the guitar's pretty damn good, i admit, but that's it.

Clearly you know music like I know quantum physics...

What do people like about Dream Theater? Perhaps that they have some of the best of all time in each instrument?

John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, John Myung, Jordan Rudess... ? Are you kidding me? These guys have absolutely mastered their instruments to the point they're not longer instruments, they're extensions of themselves.

Listen to ALL their live performances. ALL of them. You can count by the fingers of your hand how many times they make the smallest mistake in all of their performances together.

James LaBrie is also a pretty good singer mind you, although arguably he's the "weaker" member in comparison.

Maybe you don't like the musics, that's fine, it's a matter of taste, but you have absolutely no way to argue that they're not technically sound.

Then again I should doubt the taste of anyone whose top 10 metal favorites of all time figure a crushing majority of bands from the 2000's...Not to say I'm stuck with glorified nostalgic vision of the past that will not accept anything from the present as good. I do think some pretty good metal bands have risen lately (amidst all the shit), but except for 1 or 2 shinning exemplars there is yet to be a truly epic metal band since the 80's, early 90's.

Where are the Iron Maidens, the Black Sabbaths, the Megadeths, The Panteras, the Metallicas and the Dream Theaters of our days? Not saying any of those bands (except for Black Sabbath and Pantera...Ok, and Megadeth) are dead, but where all of those were born over 20 years ago. Where are the ones born in this age?

Again, except for 1 or 2 shinning examplars: Nowhere to be found.

I never doubted their technical ability, i just doubted the actual music. I don't see what's so great about it.

As for where are the Panteras and Black Sabbaths of our day, there aren't any. Genrally, those bands have died out. Metal has changed a lot, you can't compare newer bands to the old ones, they're just not the same. Plus, the bands you said are mostly thrash, which started in the 70s. I listen to melodic death metal, which began in the 90s.

The reason a lot of my favourite bands are recent is simply because they stand above the rest of melo-death, which is unfortunately a genre saturated with mediocre crap.

Bands like The Absence and Archons may be very recent (only three full lengths between them), but they are both brilliant and show massive potential for future releases. You can't disregard recent badns, they may one day become 'epic'.

EDIT: Plus, the bands you stated being 'epic' is highly subjective. I know they're extremely popular, but i for one can't stand any of them. I respect their talent and appreciate their contributions to metal, but i really don't like their music. I personally see The Absence of one of the greatest metal bands at the moment.

I've always thought thrash started in the early 80's... Also, you can compare new bands to the old; look at Airborne and then see AC/DC or take a listen to Evile and then think about Metallica.
If there is one band that needs to be recommended, if it hasn't already been, it's Skeletonwitch.

BardSeed:
I've always thought thrash started in the early 80's... Also, you can compare new bands to the old; look at Airborne and then see AC/DC or take a listen to Evile and then think about Metallica.
If there is one band that needs to be recommended, if it hasn't already been, it's Skeletonwitch.

Did it? Ah well, my bad. Yeah, i suppose saying you can't compare them was a bit dumb. But you can't really compare the bands in my top list (posted a page back) with the ones stated.

favourite bands are KoRn, RATM, Rammstein,,Marilyn Manson, Audioslave, Metallica and megadeth..those are the ones that always remain in my top list
..I recently got into disturbed, which are awesome

No love for Meshuggah?!
Byzantine and Scar Symmetry are some of the more recent bands I've discovered.

Chapper:
I generally enjoy any kind of metal, from power to black (maybe not so much death metal).

However thrash, heavy and power/melodic metal are my genres of choice.

Bands I like are Slayer,Iron Maiden, Metallica (pre-Black Album, mind you! Death Magnetic was ok, though), Manowar, Children of Bodom... I could go on, it depends on my daily mood really. A bad day is most likely to include a lot of Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and Immortal, while a good day sees a lot of Nocturnal Rites, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish and Iron Maiden.

There's a band I forgot to mention, Nocturnal Rites.

The_Deleted:
No love for Meshuggah?!

Love Scar Symmetry. What did you think of their new album? I thought t was a good step forward for them. Gutted the vocalist left though, he was stunning.
I've been meaning to get ObZen by Meshuggah, what's it like?

I like to be able to understand the words i'm hearing so severe shouting and growling is off for me
I like BFMV, Slipknot, Glamour Of The Kill, A7X, Killswitch Engage, Black Sabbath, Trivium, Vai, Ac/Dc and, of ourse, Led Zeppelin

The_Deleted:
No love for Meshuggah?!

Do you know how low they tune? lol it's incredible

Fraught:

Those aren't metal. Not even close. There is no such thing as "alternative metal". It's a label for shitty bands that are stuck between hard rock and metal but can't get any further.

List bandwagon for the win!

Iron Maiden, In Flames, Metallica, Finntroll, Nile, Bal-Sagoth, in no particular order and probably excluding something.

xitel:
I'm into Nu-Metal and Metalcore personally. All That Remains, Bullet for my Valentine, etc...

What he said =]

Since everyone here is fawning over Dream Theater, I decided to take a looksee.

My respone: How can you ever think that is Metal? This is a pop song with distortion on the guitar. It's like Linkin Park and Evanescence wrapped up into a big old pile of regurgitated crap.

The_Deleted:
No love for Meshuggah?!

I love Meshuggah. Happy? And I mean it too.

Not Good:

My respone: How can you ever think that is Metal? This is a pop song with distortion on the guitar. It's like Linkin Park and Evanescence wrapped up into a big old pile of regurgitated crap.

Thank you.

Rusty Bucket:
I've been meaning to get ObZen by Meshuggah, what's it like?

What it's like is awesome. By far my favorite metal release of the year.

Glad to hear you guys mention Meshuggah. They're one of my faves. Nowadays I find a lot of metal to be too stylistically inbred to hold my attention but those guys never fail to entertain me.

RabidPotatoe:
List bandwagon for the win!

Iron Maiden, In Flames, Metallica, Finntroll, Nile, Bal-Sagoth, in no particular order and probably excluding something.

You mentioned Bal-Sagoth...

You are the winner of this entire thread.

I loves me some Metal.
So far this year has been so so for Metal, in my opinion.
Really looking forward to Pain of Salvation's DVD as well as Wintersun's new album, Time. Which is starting to become the Duke Nukem Forever of Metal.

Rusty Bucket:
Why do people like dream theater so much? I really don't understand. Some of the guitar's pretty damn good, i admit, but that's it.

Overrated band imo. Petrucci is a great guitarist, Rudess is a modern day Keith Emerson, Portnoy and Myung are also very talented. But LaBrie is garbage, sorry, I've seen them live a couple times, and Chaos In Motion strengthens my point. He WAS great, back in his day/before he blew out his voice due to food poisoning. However, just because he got back on the horse, doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the obvious damage he has suffered.
Besides that, while I enjoyed the second disc of Six Degrees, I feel they've not had a good release since Metropolis 2.

They still write good music, it's just rather.... soulless. Again, in my opinion. It seems intricate for intricacies sake. The music is fun, not bad Prog at all, it's just rather silly.

honestly I saw Dream theater live was not all that impressed I mean yes they are talented but the music just did nothing to really grab me

TheNecroswanson:

Not Good:

Thank you.

Look up the song "As I Am" on youtube...i think it might be more up your alley.
They became heavier with age :P
Out of curiousity, what song did you look up?

TheNecroswanson:

Not Good:

Thank you.

KyleTheAngry:

TheNecroswanson:

Not Good:

Thank you.

Forsaken

As I am's Riff was good, but I could listen to Metallica and get the same feeling. They could do without the synth now because it's just following the riff and the vocals still aren't good.

You probably heard Forsaken or some crap, here's something a bit more Metal. EDIT; ahahah, I was right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONQ8cp3Tlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGSvbpB9Kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-w3A1KOPZc

They're Prog, so of course their music will incorporate time changes that go from heavy to soft.

I feel I need to defend them a bit because way back when, they were the greatest Progressive Metal band, they released some great records.
The drivel they're releasing now is a sad shell of what they were.

Edit 2; who recommends As I Am? Wow, DT trying to sound like Metallica, ignoring their own identity, and that's also when LaBrie began sounding Looney Tunes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked