Metal thread

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 26 NEXT

Metallica
Bullet For My Valentine
All That Remains
Disturbed

It's gotta be fast and it has to make me want to throw a stool through my window.

(EDIT) I can has first on this page?

darthzew:
Honestly, as a Christian myself, I think those "traditional Christians" are bigots and nothing else. That so-called "traditional" stuff is wrong and it's not doing any good for Christianity. There is seriously no way that people that intolerant can worship the same Jesus that I do.

Lord, I agree with you there 100%. My sentiments exactly.

searanox:

Ever since Awake came out, they've basically tried to be heavier and heavier. The problem is that they're a bunch of silly, arrogant Christian pricks and their pseudo-metal image is so transparent it makes me want to wretch. They need to just going back to making melodic, progressive, and vocal-oriented rock/metal, because that's what they're good at.

Silly, perhaps. Arrogant, having not met them i can't comment. Christian pricks? I don't see how one's faith influences one's musical abilities. As for their image, what do you mean transparent? All I see is a bunch of awesome musicians playing music they enjoy. All of their music is melodic, though perhaps slightly less progressive these days. I always felt their music was more about the instrumentals rather than the vocals (though the latter *are* fantastic).

Arsen:
Leviathan is the type of Black Metal I don't like. It lacks the beauty of certain other bands who are more atmospheric than overly hateful and destructive. Xasthur...wow. I tried listening to one album and it sounded like the evilest sowing machine I had ever heard.

All in all, Black Metal is good when it is done right. However, if it lacks the element of beauty then it detracts from the overall atmosphere of it. Burzum, Wolves in the Throne Room, Dissection, Windir, Bathory, and many other bands all have that essential element. Gorgoroth, though good musicians, lack that beauty.

Believe me, I know Black Metal front and back. Satryicon's "Rebel Extravaganza" is one of their best albums. Emperor of course with Anthems to Welkins at Dusk...is probably THE best Black Metal album ever made. I must make that claim here.

Anthems is good but it hasn't stuck with me as much as other albums... I loved it the first while when I had it, but I rarely touch it anymore.

Black metal doesn't have to necessarily have melody in order to be good; it's not a defining trait of the music (that's why we have melodic black metal as a sub-genre after all). Of course, if you don't like it, that's fine... the whole point of Leviathan and Xasthur is to evoke feelings of intense sadness and depression through their thick production, heavily distorted vocals, droning song structures and use of dissonance in songwriting, not to offer the sort of pseudo-goth atmosphere that other more melodic bands employ.

KyleTheAngry:
Silly, perhaps. Arrogant, having not met them i can't comment. Christian pricks? I don't see how one's faith influences one's musical abilities. As for their image, what do you mean transparent? All I see is a bunch of awesome musicians playing music they enjoy. All of their music is melodic, though perhaps slightly less progressive these days. I always felt their music was more about the instrumentals rather than the vocals (though the latter *are* fantastic).

I never said they were pricks because they were Christians, although the Christianity is a problem in its own right (I won't discuss that here as it's not particularly relevant). They're arrogant because they revel in their own talents and have been pumping out wanky, emotionless, uninspired albums for the last few years, trying to cash in on trends by going "darker and edgier" and incorporating elements from nu-metal and even rap in a couple of places (the second-last album has a lot of stuff lifted from bands like U2, as well). Half their songs these days seem to exist solely to show off their mad guitar skillz. Just look, at the difference in band photos - the darker lighting, the leather jackets, the longer hair... they're trying their hardest to look metal and it's not working.

Look, they're extremely talented musicians, but ever since Metropolis they've been going by the numbers and they have yet to top their second album in consistency and quality. What I'm saying is that they need to buck the stupid hardcore image they're courting younger, stupider fans with and just pick up from where they left off a few years ago. Come on, when you start writing songs with six-minute masturbation solos, you know you're running out of ideas.

Groove metal is a gem in my opinion among the horde of metal sub genres in todays world.
Bands like:
Lamb of God
Pantera
Devildriver
Five Finger Death Punch
Skinlab
Soulfly
Hellyeah

searanox:

Arsen:
Leviathan is the type of Black Metal I don't like. It lacks the beauty of certain other bands who are more atmospheric than overly hateful and destructive. Xasthur...wow. I tried listening to one album and it sounded like the evilest sowing machine I had ever heard.

All in all, Black Metal is good when it is done right. However, if it lacks the element of beauty then it detracts from the overall atmosphere of it. Burzum, Wolves in the Throne Room, Dissection, Windir, Bathory, and many other bands all have that essential element. Gorgoroth, though good musicians, lack that beauty.

Believe me, I know Black Metal front and back. Satryicon's "Rebel Extravaganza" is one of their best albums. Emperor of course with Anthems to Welkins at Dusk...is probably THE best Black Metal album ever made. I must make that claim here.

Anthems is good but it hasn't stuck with me as much as other albums... I loved it the first while when I had it, but I rarely touch it anymore.

Black metal doesn't have to necessarily have melody in order to be good; it's not a defining trait of the music (that's why we have melodic black metal as a sub-genre after all). Of course, if you don't like it, that's fine... the whole point of Leviathan and Xasthur is to evoke feelings of intense sadness and depression through their thick production, heavily distorted vocals, droning song structures and use of dissonance in songwriting, not to offer the sort of pseudo-goth atmosphere that other more melodic bands employ.

KyleTheAngry:

I never said they were pricks because they were Christians, although the Christianity is a problem in its own right (I won't discuss that here as it's not particularly relevant). They're arrogant because they revel in their own talents and have been pumping out wanky, emotionless, uninspired albums for the last few years, trying to cash in on trends by going "darker and edgier" and incorporating elements from nu-metal and even rap in a couple of places (the second-last album has a lot of stuff lifted from bands like U2, as well). Just look, at the difference in band photos - the darker lighting, the leather jackets, the longer hair... they're trying their hardest to look metal and it's not working.

Look, they're extremely talented musicians, but ever since Metropolis they've been going by the numbers and they have yet to top their second album in consistency and quality. What I'm saying is that they need to buck the stupid hardcore image they're courting younger, stupider fans with and just pick up from where they left off a few years ago. Come on, when you start writing songs with six-minute masturbation solos, you know you're running out of ideas.

Ah i see...i misunderstood you *bites tongue about the "Christianity is a problem thing"*. I wouldn't say the last few albums were wanky, emotionless, etc (though i will say "The Answer Lies Within" is a bit...well...). In the Presence of Enemies has plenty of emotion and was about 15 different kinds of epic (ditto Octavarium and This Dying Soul). I agree with your rap statement, it didn't sit so well with me either...but i note LaBrie hasn't tried it since :P. I'd say 6 minute "masturbation solos" (as you so delicately put it :P) are perfectly acceptable when your songs have been known to break the 20 minute mark...but thats just me.

Grand_Poohbah:
Metallica
Bullet For My Valentine
All That Remains
Disturbed

It's gotta be fast and it has to make me want to throw a stool through my window.

(EDIT) I can has first on this page?

Bullet for my valentine makes you want to throw a stool through your window? Oh dear.
If you like fast and angry, give Behemoth a try. Listen to the album 'Demigod'.
Also, other generally good bands you should try out; The Absence, Abigail Williams, Arsis, Machine Head, Mors Principium Est.

No Norwegian Black metal? All I've seen is Gorgoroth but no Mayhem or Darkthrone? What about Celtic Frost? Venom?

Arsen:
Xasthur...wow. I tried listening to one album and it sounded like the evilest sowing machine I had ever heard.

Best description I've heard of them, period. I LOL'd a lot.

I need to find more bands like Arsis; melodic yet still very technical.

Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine
and sometimes linkin park if im in the mood.

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

I am hereby banning these bands from my thread. I don't care what you think of them, this thread is for metal, not dumbed down radio friendly stuff. I can just about cope with Slipknot and Bullet, but linkin park? Are you kidding me?
If linkin park or korn ever appear in here again, i'm going to go all Hitler and start killing people.

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

I am hereby banning these bands from my thread. I don't care what you think of them, this thread is for metal, not dumbed down radio friendly stuff. I can just about cope with Slipknot and Bullet, but linkin park? Are you kidding me?
If linkin park or korn ever appear in here again, i'm going to go all Hitler and start killing people.

why do you dislike KoRn?¿...linkin park I understand but KoRn has some great songs(except for the last 2 albums, which were shit)

k3v1n:

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

why do you dislike KoRn?¿...linkin park I understand but KoRn has some great songs(except for the last 2 albums, which were shit)

No.

KISS are the true Shock Rock/Metal Band!

How about Pain?

You WILL worship Cradle of Filth!

I enjoy most types of metal, and in fact music in general, but just keep that symphonic Sonata Arctica nonsense well away from me. It just bores my socks right off.

Mostly Thrash Death and Black!

Black Sabbath

k3v1n:

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

Why do i dislike korn? There aren't enough words in the english language to be able to show my true hate for that band. They've taken elements of metal and watered it down into radio friendly shit to make a load of money. It's an abomination. I will not have them in my beautiful thread.

JBarracudaL:
You probably heard Forsaken or some crap, here's something a bit more Metal. EDIT; ahahah, I was right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONQ8cp3Tlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGSvbpB9Kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-w3A1KOPZc

They're Prog, so of course their music will incorporate time changes that go from heavy to soft.

I feel I need to defend them a bit because way back when, they were the greatest Progressive Metal band, they released some great records.
The drivel they're releasing now is a sad shell of what they were.

Edit 2; who recommends As I Am? Wow, DT trying to sound like Metallica, ignoring their own identity, and that's also when LaBrie began sounding Looney Tunes.

Okay I'll give it to you these were a bit better. However, this album is from 1994. Meaning that this band has lost its thunder since then.

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

YHBT

Megadeth
Mötley Crüe
Iron maiden
Alice cooper

Dragonforce
Iron Maiden
Disturbed
Metallica
and the best...NIGHTWISH!!!!!

Not Good:
Okay I'll give it to you these were a bit better. However, this album is from 1994. Meaning that this band has lost its thunder since then.

Which was exactly my point. I was saying DT were a great Prog Metal band in their day, and should be respected much in the same way Metallica should be by fans of Metal. They did great things, innovative things, but ultimately lost their touch.
It's a shame, but oh well, to other groups I move on.

So... yeah.... how about that Skyclad folks? That's a dandy band.

Not Good:

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

YHBT

errrr....what?
Does anyone have any suggestions for decent Tech death?

Rusty Bucket:

You'd probably enjoy the following:

Anata
Atheist
the last three Death albums
Coprofago
Decapitated
Deeds of Flesh
more recent Cephalic Carnage
Spawn of Possession
Gorguts
Negativa
Lykathea Aflame
Pavor
Pestilence
Theory in Practice
Visceral Bleeding
Necrophagist
Neuraxis
Amoral
Gorod
Cynic
Alarum
Cryptopsy (except for their most recent album, which is...one of the most depressing things I've ever heard)

These encompass a wide range of influences; they don't all sound like more technical Cannibal Corpse.

edit: forgot Stargazer and Lethargy

My list:
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Exodus
Possesed
Death
Helmet
Judas Priest
Death
Pantera
Motorhead
Iron Maiden

Yeah that's about it for now.

My current list consists of:

Blotted Science
Virgin Snatch
Debauchery
Behemoth
Meshuggah
Rammstein
Gojira

chrael:

Rusty Bucket:

You'd probably enjoy the following:

Anata
Atheist
the last three Death albums
Coprofago
Decapitated
Deeds of Flesh
more recent Cephalic Carnage
Spawn of Possession
Gorguts
Negativa
Lykathea Aflame
Pavor
Pestilence
Theory in Practice
Visceral Bleeding
Necrophagist
Neuraxis
Amoral
Gorod
Cynic
Alarum
Cryptopsy (except for their most recent album, which is...one of the most depressing things I've ever heard)

These encompass a wide range of influences; they don't all sound like more technical Cannibal Corpse.

edit: forgot Stargazer and Lethargy

Holy recommendation list batman! That's going to take me a while to get through. Thanks a lot.

for me, only decent death metal is children of bodom and in flames

but that's my opinion, feel free to recommend some similar deth metal(but please no need for tech deth metal cannibal corpse one of the worst groups I've heard ever)

GuerrillaClock:
I enjoy most types of metal, and in fact music in general, but just keep that symphonic Sonata Arctica nonsense well away from me. It just bores my socks right off.

I'm sorry you don't care for that kinda prog/power stuff. I understand some people don't think it's "extreme" enough to be called metal, but I like it, and if I like it, I'll listen to it. Hell, I can even say I like the new direction Edguy took with Rocket Ride! Sure, it was watered down to hard-rock, but I liked the way it sounded. It was...dare I say it...catchy?

k3v1n:
for me, only decent death metal is children of bodom and in flames

but that's my opinion, feel free to recommend some similar deth metal(but please no need for tech deth metal cannibal corpse one of the worst groups I've heard ever)

Children of Bodom is not death metal (it's power metal with harsh vocals, except the newer stuff which qualifies as thrash/metalcore of some sort) and In Flames is melodic death metal. Cannibal Corpse is neither technical death metal nor particularly good.

I don't describe myself as a metal fan, but I am a huge Tool and Dream Theatre junkie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked