Rusty Bucket:

Not Good:

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine
and sometimes linkin park if im in the mood.

I am hereby banning these bands from my thread. I don't care what you think of them, this thread is for metal, not dumbed down radio friendly stuff. I can just about cope with Slipknot and Bullet, but linkin park? Are you kidding me?
If linkin park or korn ever appear in here again, i'm going to go all Hitler and start killing people.

YHBT

errrr....what?
Does anyone have any suggestions for decent Tech death?

You Have Been Trolled = YHBT

Death got real Technical in their later years.

Best breakdown ever!

Parkway Drive: Boneyards

"Their's blood IN.THE.WATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Watch that video its so intense

k3v1n:
for me, only decent death metal is children of bodom and in flames

but that's my opinion, feel free to recommend some similar deth metal(but please no need for tech deth metal cannibal corpse one of the worst groups I've heard ever)

If you want some more melodic death metal, here's a list to get you started:
The Absence
Arsis
Archons
At the Gates
Mors Principium Est
Amon Amarth
Anterior
Arch Enemy
Dark Tranquillity
Kalmah
Prey for Nothing
Scar Symmetry
Zonaria

CrafterMan:
Best breakdown ever!

Parkway Drive: Boneyards

"Their's blood IN.THE.WATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Watch that video its so intense

No. Just no. If you're trolling, you're bad at it. If you're not, please leave, metalcore breakdowns aren't welcome in my thread.

Um...am I the only person who likes Soilwork as a melodic death metal band? I like them quite a bit.

A7X,iron maiden,korn,godsmack,black sabbath,megadeth

Jack Black!

He even made a song about the Metal. Tenacious D has great respect for taking the piss out of itself and metal in general.

And some Disturbed for taste.

I don't consider myself a metal head (as I listen to everything) nor do I know the difference between melodic metal and mathcore and black metal and all that jazz. I do know that I like listening to metal though. A few bands I've been listening to a lot lately:

Slipknot
Mudvayne
Atreyu*
I Wrestled A Bear Once
Kittie
Misery Signals
Dillenger Escape Plan
Waking The Cadaver

*I'm aware that some people don't consider them 'metal', though I don't understand why.

Nu-metal - Godsmack. Pure awesome.

Silvertongue:
Um...am I the only person who likes Soilwork as a melodic death metal band? I like them quite a bit.

love soilwork

Dude fuck you, seriously, metalcore is a genre of metal. You judge me on a certain taste of metal that I have. Not welcome in your thread? Bah bullshit to you.

I listen to Death,Arsis, Mnemic, Scar Symmetry, Megadetch etc.

Metalcore is a genre of metal dude, get used to it, and don't call me a troll for having an opinion.

Sick of elitist escapists, I really am, Im gonna quit soon me thinks.

CrafterMan:

Dude that's pretty much everyone around here.

Might as well be called The Elitist: Forums

And metalcore is more punk than it is metal.

CrafterMan:
Dude fuck you, seriously, metalcore is a genre of metal. You judge me on a certain taste of metal that I have. Not welcome in your thread? Bah bullshit to you.

Metalcore is a genre of metal dude, get used to it, and don't call me a troll for having an opinion.

Taking this srsly is ghey.

CrafterMan:

I'm confused, when exactly did i say metalcore wasn't metal? You seem to be jumping to conclusions. All i said is i don't want to talk about metalcore in my thread, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, seeing as it's mine. Of course i judge you on your music taste, everyone does that. As for you leaving, good for you, i'm sure you'll be missed.

On topic, what does everyone think of Scar Symmetrys new vocalists? I found it funny that they've had to gte in two to replace the old guy, shows how amazing he was.

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

I am hereby banning these bands from my thread. I don't care what you think of them, this thread is for metal, not dumbed down radio friendly stuff. I can just about cope with Slipknot and Bullet, but linkin park? Are you kidding me?
If linkin park or korn ever appear in here again, i'm going to go all Hitler and start killing people.

I don't mean to tell you how to act in your thread, but isn't it just a wee bit egotistical to say "I don't like this, so you aren't allowed to mention it in MY thread"? Whether you like them or not, ABFMV is still metal (the others are admittedly arguable). What if I made a thread saying "This is a thread to discuss rock, but you can't mention anything after 1995, because I don't like it"?

Recently, Metallica. Mainly pre-Black Album and S&M. Death Magnetic was decent, but the opening three tracks might as well be condensed into one 15-minute track and renamed Just the End of your Broken, Beat and Scarred Life.

Not Good:

CrafterMan:

Dude that's pretty much everyone around here.

Might as well be called The Elitist: Forums

That is also known as The Internet.

thebobmaster:

Rusty Bucket:

TJ rock 101:
Disturbed
Slipknot
Korn
Bullet for my valentine

I don't mean to tell you how to act in your thread, but isn't it just a wee bit egotistical to say "I don't like this, so you aren't allowed to mention it in MY thread"? Whether you like them or not, ABFMV is still metal (the others are admittedly arguable). What if I made a thread saying "This is a thread to discuss rock, but you can't mention anything after 1995, because I don't like it"?

Yeah i admit i went a bit over the top. It was more the fact that he mentioned Linkin Park that sent me overboard. I have been getting slightly dictatorial lately, i apologise. Anyway, enough of me ranting at stuff, i want some more decent discussions.

Apology accepted. And to bring the thread back into focus, am I the only one who was impressed with "Death Magnetic"?

thebobmaster:
Apology accepted. And to bring the thread back into focus, am I the only one who was impressed with "Death Magnetic"?

To be honest, i've never been able to like Metallica. Their music sounds almost empty to me, it's strange. They've got some nice riffs and solos, but beyond that i just can't get into them.

Rusty Bucket:

thebobmaster:

To be honest, i've never been able to like Metallica. Their music sounds almost empty to me, it's strange. They've got some nice riffs and solos, but beyond that i just can't get into them.

Not even Justice for all/Ride the Lightning? Wow. Are there any specific tracks or albums you've listened to that are an exapmle of what you say? Maybe you haven't sampled the best of their music.

A metaller not being able to appreciate any Metallica is sort of a foreign concept to me, no disrespect to yourself. I guess it call comes to taste in the end.

Black Sabbath
Megadeth
Kamelot
Dimmu Borgir
Wolves in the throne room
Steve Vai

Arsen:
Name ONE metal band you don't think anyone has heard of, and I have probably heard of them in some way, shape, or form.

Dimmu Borgir?

I really only listen to their "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropy" record, but they are extremely good.

I absolutley love Melodic Death Metal, especially Amon Amarth. Just curious, but anyone here know of a good way to protect ones throat when doing a death growl. I know you are supposed to use your diaphram, and I do, but you still use your throat/vocal fry and it starts to hurt after a bit.

My top 10 would have to be (not in any particular order, that would be too hard):

House Vs. Hurricane
Dimmu Borgir
Destroy The Runner
Mortal Treason
The Devil Wears Prada*
Becoming The Archetype**
Life In Your Way
Oh,Sleeper
August Burns Red
Confide

* I know what you're thinking, "WTF? A band based around an adult woman's book turned chick-flick?" and no...no they are not.

** Their new album is terrible, the shredding is ridiculous, but everything else falls into the background and is forgotten. Only their "Terminate Damnation" album was good.

anyone know a band similar to Opeth? and please do not suggest edge of sanity
the same question goes for a band called vesperian sorrow

and as for a contribution to the discussion.... well although my opinion is a bit controversial and in no means an attempt on trolling, but am i the only who thinks that pantera is overrated? great riffs and all and i like the style changes but the band does not seem too original to warrant it the "fuckin awesome" label in my opinion

GPScorpio:

Sigur Ros

..?

ZantetsukenQ:

Rusty Bucket:

thebobmaster:

Not even Justice for all/Ride the Lightning? Wow. Are there any specific tracks or albums you've listened to that are an exapmle of what you say? Maybe you haven't sampled the best of their music.

A metaller not being able to appreciate any Metallica is sort of a foreign concept to me, no disrespect to yourself. I guess it call comes to taste in the end.

To be honest i haven't listened to that much. There just seems to be something missing. It's probably because i listen to more extreme styles of metal and the lack of a double bass drum seems to detract from the force of their music. When i started listeneing to metal i felt like i had to like Metallica. I tried, but can't.

Lunar Shadow:
I absolutley love Melodic Death Metal, especially Amon Amarth. Just curious, but anyone here know of a good way to protect ones throat when doing a death growl. I know you are supposed to use your diaphram, and I do, but you still use your throat/vocal fry and it starts to hurt after a bit.

You want to use your false vocal chords. They sit just above your true chords. They're thicker and are designed to protect the more fragile 'normal' ones. They're quite hard to find at first. Just try to make the sound high up in your throat, but keep your entire throat as relaxed as possible. If it starts to hurt, then stop, and make sure you've drank lots of water. Growling with a dry throat seriously isn't good.
Oh, and if you want some more Melo-death, i've written a list at the top of this page.

O maestre:
and as for a contribution to the discussion.... well although my opinion is a bit controversial and in no means an attempt on trolling, but am i the only who thinks that pantera is overrated? great riffs and all and i like the style changes but the band does not seem too original to warrant it the "fuckin awesome" label in my opinion

I agree completely, i honestly can't see what the fuss is about. Same for Slayer and Dream Theater.

RustyBucker:
You want to use your false vocal chords. They sit just above your true chords. They're thicker and are designed to protect the more fragile 'normal' ones. They're quite hard to find at first. Just try to make the sound high up in your throat, but keep your entire throat as relaxed as possible. If it starts to hurt, then stop, and make sure you've drank lots of water. Growling with a dry throat seriously isn't good.
Oh, and if you want some more Melo-death, i've written a list at the top of this page

Yeah I know about the false vocal chords, that's what your vocal fry is.I remember reading about something called THroat Coat, which is a type of tea that coats your thorat and protects it and is used by metal vocalists and opera singers.

I can see what you mean with the taste for music. When I first got into metal, I would swear by Metallica, and was less enthused about the more extreme styles of metal. I must have come full circle because now, while I still enjoy Metallica, I would rather listen to some Death Metal (Such as the godly Bloodbath), or Melo-Death etc. It may even be the production values on the older Metallica records that cause the negativity. I just feel you may be missing out on some truely essential stuff, which can be classed as a partial foundation for the metal we have today.

I believe that someone on the forums (and possibly in this thread) has pointed out that Dream Theater are all masters of their chosen instrument. Seriously, check out some live footage, its just awesome.

With bands such as Pantera and Slayer (which I do enjoy indeed), there is a lot of hype, most of which is deserved. The other lot of hype comes from the media and bandwagonners (if thats even a word). Seems to be that as soon as you utter the words Slayer or Pantera, you are one of the gang. Not the case.

This is the cool thing about metal though. Sorry if it fells like i'm badgering you Rusty Bucket :p

Lunar Shadow:

RustyBucker:
Oh, and if you want some more Melo-death, i've written a list at the top of this page

Yeah I know about the false vocal chords, that's what your vocal fry is.I remember reading about something called THroat Coat, which is a type of tea that coats your thorat and protects it and is used by metal vocalists and opera singers.

Ahhhhh fair enough. Well, when i do it my false chords still hurt a bit. They're tougher than the normal ones, but they're still not designed for this sort of thing. It'll hurt for a while, but it should stop if you practice enough. It'll probably always be slightly uncomfortable.

ZantetsukenQ:
I can see what you mean with the taste for music. When I first got into metal, I would swear by Metallica, and was less enthused about the more extreme styles of metal. I must have come full circle because now, while I still enjoy Metallica, I would rather listen to some Death Metal (Such as the godly Bloodbath), or Melo-Death etc. It may even be the production values on the older Metallica records that cause the negativity. I just feel you may be missing out on some truely essential stuff, which can be classed as a partial foundation for the metal we have today.

I believe that someone on the forums (and possibly in this thread) has pointed out that Dream Theater are all masters of their chosen instrument. Seriously, check out some live footage, its just awesome.

With bands such as Pantera and Slayer (which I do enjoy indeed), there is a lot of hype, most of which is deserved. The other lot of hype comes from the media and bandwagonners (if thats even a word). Seems to be that as soon as you utter the words Slayer or Pantera, you are one of the gang. Not the case.

This is the cool thing about metal though. Sorry if it fells like i'm badgering you Rusty Bucket :p

I might have another listen to some of their older stuff then, see what happens. I definitely prefer more extreme styles of metal, they just seem to have more oomph to me.

That conversation about Dream Theater was started by me as well :) I completely agree that they are amazing musicians, there's no doubt about it. What i find overrated is the music itself. There just doesn't seem to anything in it that justifies the hype.
It's the same with Pantera and Slayer. They're great musicians (to a lesser extent than Dream Theater) and i respect them and appreciate their contributions to metal, but i don't understand why they get so much attention. It seems to me that Pantera are hyped simply because Dimebag was shot (no offence to the guy).

Suppose it all comes down to personal taste. There's ridiculous amounts of variety in metal, which is what i love about it.

Rusty Bucket:

I agree completely, i honestly can't see what the fuss is about. Same for Slayer and Dream Theater.

lol and just as quickly we must disagree, you mentioned two bands i would give the "fuckin a" medal to, especially dream theatre solely on account of john petrucci an extremely technical guitarist

O maestre:

Rusty Bucket:

lol and just as quickly we must disagree, you mentioned two bands i would give the "fuckin a" medal to, especially dream theatre solely on account of john petrucci an extremely technical guitarist

See, i know he's amazing, but technical skill alone cannot make me like a band. Their music just seems to be them jumping up and down saying 'look at what we can do, we're so talented.' There doesn't seem to be any real substance to their music. I'd take Machine Head over them anyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ

This is Equilibrium. They are my favorite band. =D

I'm huge into prog stuff, like Between the Buried And Me and Dream Theater.
I also love GWAR and Alice Cooper. [top 5 in that order]

I'm surprised to see a lot of nu-metal lovers. I personally think that nu-metal serves only as a precursor to the heavier stuff. But because metal is such a broad genre of music, the fact that there's something for everbody.

EDIT:

Rusty Bucket:

O maestre:

Rusty Bucket:

See, i know he's amazing, but technical skill alone cannot make me like a band. Their music just seems to be them jumping up and down saying 'look at what we can do, we're so talented.' There doesn't seem to be any real substance to their music. I'd take Machine Head over them anyday.

That's dragonforce. Dream Theater is just a band that plays really well together. John Myung is probably my favorite bass player. And the drummer is one of the best I've seen. It's not just petrucci, it's the band being an amazing lineup.

Bocaj2000:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ

This is Equilibrium. They are my favorite band. =D

I'm huge into prog stuff, like Between the Buried And Me and Dream Theater.
I also love GWAR and Alice Cooper. [top 5 in that order]

I'm surprised to see a lot of nu-metal lovers. I personally think that nu-metal serves only as a precursor to the heavier stuff. But because metal is such a broad genre of music, the fact that there's something for everbody.

O man! They are really quite good. Reminds me a hell of a lot of Ensiferum and Wintersun. Love the part in the video where the amp is bleeding. So so metal. ^^

a7r0p05:

Arsen:
Name ONE metal band you don't think anyone has heard of, and I have probably heard of them in some way, shape, or form.

Dimmu Borgir?

I really only listen to their "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropy" record, but they are extremely good.

Anybody who listens to black metal has heard of Dimmu Borgir. I dont even like black metal and ive heard of them.
Anyone heard of Fuck... Im Dead? Autralian grindcore.

O maestre:

Rusty Bucket:

FUCKIN' SLAYER!!!

Pantera were a bit hit a miss but Cowboys and Vulgar were superb. Their albums do contain more filler than people will admit to, though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked