Proof: Jumbled letters/proper first & last letters legibility hypothesis not always true

You've probably all heard it before - the idea that a word can be as jumbled as you like, as long as the first and last letters are in the right place, and it will remain legible. This idea annoyed me, because it implies that misspellings are acceptable, so I went in search of a way to disprove this theory.

A read through the Irish satirical current affairs magazine, The Phoenix, gave me the ammunition I needed. I noticed that in an article, the name of the Sunday newspaper, the Sunday Tribune, had deliberately been referred to with the misspelling, Turbine, in much the same way as the Sunday Independent is given the nickname of Sindo by the magazine, or Private Eye's famous Granuiad for The Guardian.

While this was legible in context, out of context, it would mean nothing, as the letter configuration used by the magazine was in fact a word in its own right, having the same first and last letters as the name of the paper, and meaning completely different things. I submit to you that the ridiculous idea that a word with jumbled letters will remain legible is not always true. Now, can we get back to spelling things correctly without somebody using that farcical idea to support people with bad spelling?

RAKtheUndead:
Now, can we get back to spelling things correctly without somebody using that farcical idea to support people with bad spelling?

This seems to have come from left field, RAK. Have the locals' spelling been bugging you recently?

As far as the research goes, I think it should be in context, and more or less in decent grouping. It's not so much about the individual letters as it is the grouping. If you can trick your mind into thinking the word on paper is the word it should be thinking, spelling doesn't matter.

While I agree with that, the idea is completely nonsensical. The philosophy would be the same as "If you can trick a car to go less distance by using more gas, then you should be allowed to." Attention nonsensical spelling-users, stop wasting your gas and my time.

I'll continue to use the jumbled letters observation as evidence.

But not to justify bad spelling.

Rather, to explain why the "phonics" idea of learning to read in terms of collections of letters signifying sounds doesn't really give a student the whole framework needed for effective reading. There's no shortcut for early and broad exposure to written words!

-- Alex

meh. i dont care that much. as long as i can undersantd wahts being said, I dnot care about acccruacy that much

People will only read what they want to read, just like they only see and hear what the want to.
While this doesn't exactly make the idea acceptable, it gives a little context to the jumbling. We will see what we want to see, and often times our minds will cause us to perceive what is meant rather then what is written.
However, I do not feel this is a good enough reason to accept misspellings.

I am actually dyslexic. My form of dyslexia the individual letters and such get mixed up, missing, or are backwards. I didn't know i was dyslexic until I was 14, and I was a straight A student. I think that thing that says you only need a couple letters to read it is TRUE. Because that's the ONLY WAY I EVER GET TO READ. I have been able to write well enough for it to hold up in court 100x times.

If I can type at least somewhat understandably. You should be able to as well.
alternatively
If I can read a poorly written sentence with only minor difficulties. You should be able to as well.

enjoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Ncie job terhe.

(rfol)

ace_of_something:
I am actually dyslexic. My form of dyslexia the individual letters and such get mixed up, missing, or are backwards. I didn't know i was dyslexic until I was 14, and I was a straight A student. I think that thing that says you only need a couple letters to read it is TRUE. Because that's the ONLY WAY I EVER GET TO READ. I have been able to write well enough for it to hold up in court 100x times.

While I meant this topic to be controversial, I didn't mean to argue against those who have a legitimate reason for imperfect spelling. I understand dyslexia perfectly well, and I also understand that the idea that a word can be imperfectly spelt and still be legible; I have no difficulties with it myself.

What does annoy me is the idea that this concept is occasionally used to excuse deliberately incorrect spelling; that is, misspellings that result from laziness and inconsideration rather than any condition which would legitimately cause difficulties with spelling. While I can read a poorly-written sentence as quickly as I can read a properly-spelt one (just as I can read a sentence upside down almost as quickly as I can read it facing the right way up), reading a sentence which is filled with spelling mistakes is uncomfortable and occasionally infuriating.

RAKtheUndead:
(...)
What does annoy me is the idea that this concept is occasionally used to excuse deliberately incorrect spelling; that is, misspellings that result from laziness and inconsideration rather than any condition which would legitimately cause difficulties with spelling. While I can read a poorly-written sentence as quickly as I can read a properly-spelt one (just as I can read a sentence upside down almost as quickly as I can read it facing the right way up), reading a sentence which is filled with spelling mistakes is uncomfortable and occasionally infuriating.

I don't understand how you can call that deliberately spelling words incorrectly. I mean if they're just lazy, they're deliberately leaving spelling errors. Wich I'd say is something else.

But as for the purpose of this thread, I agree with you. I think. The thing is - when a post contains a spelling error in every sixth word, I don't have any big issues with it. And I don't see why people would (Except the fact that they would sincerely keep this forum as what it is now - seemingly the only online forum with intelligent people) have a problem with it. What I do see as a problem however. Is when people deliberately are using shitloads of acronyms. To that extend that it's making the text difficult to read.

This also counts for "1337-sp33k". That's horrible. It may be fun in some context. But writing that like everything else ... That's just plain annoying.
Couple of other things. I'm guessing the main reason why people may have a few errors in their posts is because they probaly write "touch". Wich with its speed makes it a bit easier to not notice their faults.

There is one last thing that annoys the crap out of me, though. When people are barely using punctuation. That's fucking with my head. It makes the whole thing a lot more difficult to read. And that people should be able to avoid. As long as it's not difficult to read, I'm fine with it

If this is your opinion too, then I totaly agree with you, mate =D

TheNecroswanson:
People will only read what they want to read, just like they only see and hear what the want to.
While this doesn't exactly make the idea acceptable, it gives a little context to the jumbling. We will see what we want to see, and often times our minds will cause us to perceive what is meant rather then what is written.
However, I do not feel this is a good enough reason to accept misspellings.

Why thanks Necro, I think I'm pretty awesome too! Oh stop, there's really no need for such flattery, ok, if you insist!

ace_of_something:

If I can type at least somewhat understandably. You should be able to as well.
alternatively
If I can read a poorly written sentence with only minor difficulties. You should be able to as well.

enjoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Too bad 90% of the people (at least in public schools in Poland) just have poor grammar skills and use dyslexia as an excuse.

I mean, I have the dysgraphia (poor visuals), but I'd rather say it's because I was lazy. School was too easy, so I didn't do ANYTHING. Maybe except for learning History, because the teacher was demanding. Everything else was pathetic, so I didn't even try and do my homework.

what i've noticed to great annoyance is the use of 'teh' instead of 'the'. as i sometimes read each word carefully instead of my usual skimming i notice it a lot as saying it (even inside my head) makes me feel like my IQ slipping a few points.

i was always told that if you dont think the word looks right keep trying as english is generally quite a neat language, and this OC behaviour has stuck. how other people don't have this or even worse; purposely misspell words is completely baffling to me. At the very least most browsers nowadays have a built in spell-checker so why ignore it when it's telling you you've made a mistake?

I understand what you mean, and I too dislike improper spelling... however I don't believe your argument is valid. I think the context of the study or analysis that the human brain understands meaning not by specific letters but by the general presence of the letters in the word and the overall shape of the word can not be discredited by a proper noun having a different meaning when spelled wrong. I think it's fairly obvious that proper nouns, specifically things like names of magazines in this case, will have different meanings or sound if misspelled. The reason we talk about this is not because we want to know whether or not there is a point in spelling our words correctly(or standardly really...), the point is in assessing how the human brain learns to read and what it is capable of. Anyone using this as an argument to defend their lack of effort in their literacy is making a mockery of a science.

RAKtheUndead:
so I went in search of a way to disprove this theory.

Let me get this straight...

You set out to disprove a few studies because you were unhappy with the result of the studies?

Wow. How scientific. You do realize that science doesn't really work that way, right?

Snake Plissken:

RAKtheUndead:
so I went in search of a way to disprove this theory.

Let me get this straight...

You set out to disprove a few studies because you were unhappy with the result of the studies?

Wow. How scientific. You do realize that science doesn't really work that way, right?

Just to let you know, this thread was made two years ago. Plus, I'm not sure you should be taking it quite as seriously as you are.

Karma168:
what i've noticed to great annoyance is the use of 'teh' instead of 'the'. as i sometimes read each word carefully instead of my usual skimming i notice it a lot as saying it (even inside my head) makes me feel like my IQ slipping a few points.

i was always told that if you dont think the word looks right keep trying as english is generally quite a neat language, and this OC behaviour has stuck. how other people don't have this or even worse; purposely misspell words is completely baffling to me. At the very least most browsers nowadays have a built in spell-checker so why ignore it when it's telling you you've made a mistake?

Necromancy is a forgotten art.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked