Things you think movies get wrong everytime when it comes to______

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Is there a character archetype, personality, or actual person that movies games, or literature always portrays crudely, not accurately, or misses the mark?

Are there historical periods, situations, or themes in movies that directors rarely or ever get right?

Not quite what you are asking for, but it's Name, Rank, Serial Number and Date of Birth. People forget the last one for some reason.

Often times, it's large battles in ancient/medieval films. Most of the time, they just have two hordes of people charging each other and making a right big mess. Very rare have I ever seen one of these kind of films try to at least portray any semblance of battlefield tactics. I applaud Spartacus (the 60's one) for at least including formations, even if they didn't really do anything with them.

Most films that have US Military personnel and equipment in them. They are constantly using the incorrect names, verbage, equipment, tactics and generally making the troops look either ruthless brainwashed idiots or bumbling fools who blindly blunder about. I have a difficult time watching modern movies that involve the military. The last one I saw that was really accurate was Blackhawk Down and I was good friends with one of the Rangers who was there and who also did consulting for the film to make sure they were true to life.

Space. You don't freeze the moment you touch it. It's like no one understands how heat works.

Eddie the head:
Space. You don't freeze the moment you touch it. It's like no one understands how heat works.

You should see Event Horizon. Most accurate depiction of what would happen if you were ejected into space sans a suit to date.

OP: Giant animals. Nobody seems to know of the square-cubed law, and that apparently all giant animals are somehow stealthy despite their footsteps causing tremors.

Eddie the head:

To be fair, this is more an issue with death by deprivation not really being particularly dramatic in real life, so movies ham it the hell up in general. It's not just space and heat loss by radiation, which realistically takes a while and is basically death by hypothermia, but you have people gasping and rolling about when they've got no water in the desert, frying from the inside out in minutes with heat-stroke, jerking about like someone attaching a marionette to a flywheel when they're electrocuted, etc.

With all these things, you just kind of clench up a bit or your organs fail and then you fall over. Just doesn't appeal to a sense of real drama, so they make stuff up to make it look cooler and put it in a time frame that preserves the drama. My personal favorite is explosive decompression. In real life, the volume change between 0 bar and 1 bar for the water/organic mixture that is a mammalian body is like a couple hundredths of a percent, and the damage comes from blood vessels rupturing so you basically bruise to death. In the movies, they take "explosive" much, much more literally and it's awesome.

Romance, it seems like pretty much every movie can't pull off a romance without making it cheesy, lame, stupid, and completely unrealistic from anything that resembles actual romance.

As an aircraft technician almost every film i watch that has a plane they get something wrong

Kenbo Slice:
Romance, it seems like pretty much every movie can't pull off a romance without making it cheesy, lame, stupid, and completely unrealistic from anything that resembles actual romance.

Say you need to watch As Good As it Gets. Well it pretty much avoids all the bullshit that comes with romance movies. Alot of the crap that comes out of the main character's mouth is pure gold.
as good as it gets photo: As Good as It Gets AsGoodasItGets.jpg

Well, the obvious one would be playing video games. I get so damn embarassed when I see some dickhead, who has never picked up a controller in his life, playing a game and he's bouncing up and down and swinging his arms all over the place like the box from Hellraiser is trying to pull him apart.

Mate, it's an Xbox controller, not a live python: calm the fuck down.

Swords do NOT go *shhhhish* when drawn from the scabbard. Most are either oiled wood or lined with fur so the blade doesn't fall out.

Metal scabbards are unyielding and retarded, only used for shows of wealth and never for an actual battle.

People who are not Americans, teenagers, feminists, and most other -ists.

Simonism451:
People who are not Americans, teenagers, feminists, and most other -ists.

I know what you mean. Their depiction of racists, motorists and physicists is shocking!

Dirge Eterna:
Most films that have US Military personnel and equipment in them. They are constantly using the incorrect names, verbage, equipment, tactics and generally making the troops look either ruthless brainwashed idiots or bumbling fools who blindly blunder about. I have a difficult time watching modern movies that involve the military. The last one I saw that was really accurate was Blackhawk Down and I was good friends with one of the Rangers who was there and who also did consulting for the film to make sure they were true to life.

Heh, especially as there will be a bunch of military advisers in the credits somewhere.

Mind you, apparently Generation Kill was very true to reality, and the marines would fit into either of those categories most of the time.

Jim_Callahan:

Eddie the head:

To be fair, this is more an issue with death by deprivation not really being particularly dramatic in real life, so movies ham it the hell up in general. It's not just space and heat loss by radiation, which realistically takes a while and is basically death by hypothermia, but you have people gasping and rolling about when they've got no water in the desert, frying from the inside out in minutes with heat-stroke, jerking about like someone attaching a marionette to a flywheel when they're electrocuted, etc.

With all these things, you just kind of clench up a bit or your organs fail and then you fall over. Just doesn't appeal to a sense of real drama, so they make stuff up to make it look cooler and put it in a time frame that preserves the drama. My personal favorite is explosive decompression. In real life, the volume change between 0 bar and 1 bar for the water/organic mixture that is a mammalian body is like a couple hundredths of a percent, and the damage comes from blood vessels rupturing so you basically bruise to death. In the movies, they take "explosive" much, much more literally and it's awesome.

I dunno, you could get away with that. I mean, you aren't likely to just end up in vacuum, you'd be surrounded by gases which would expand into the vacuum, taking heat from everything around such as you as they do so. Explosive decompression would sorta work if you'd been badly cut up, which might happen as a result of whatever put you into vacuum.

Colour.

The world isn't all fucking teal and orange. Someone should slap some creativity into Hollywood's colour correction division.

rob_simple:
Well, the obvious one would be playing video games. I get so damn embarassed when I see some dickhead, who has never picked up a controller in his life, playing a game and he's bouncing up and down and swinging his arms all over the place like the box from Hellraiser is trying to pull him apart.

Mate, it's an Xbox controller, not a live python: calm the fuck down.

Funny that you should mention that, I was just watching this:

BathorysGraveland2:
Often times, it's large battles in ancient/medieval films. Most of the time, they just have two hordes of people charging each other and making a right big mess. Very rare have I ever seen one of these kind of films try to at least portray any semblance of battlefield tactics. I applaud Spartacus (the 60's one) for at least including formations, even if they didn't really do anything with them.

Nnnnnn... in Spartacus (Peter Ustinov! what a performance!) the way that Crassus' army moves up in that final battle scene is more reminiscent of a mid-Republic army prior to the Marian Reforms, not that of a late-Republican army which would move ahead in cohort columns, not the pseudo-quincunx as portrayed. It's a minor sticking point, but... eh...

Dirge Eterna:

To be fair, the same mistakes are made about virtually every nation's military, and if we're talking Hollywood, the mistakes are generally more and worse.

OT: Since I mentioned Rome... names... don't they know anything about prae-, -, cog- and agnomina?! Sequence?! Social modes of address?! No film I've seen has ever gotten it right.

Also... period dramas involving the British Army... the uniforms... they get the facings/linings etc. wrong every time. And how is that an RHA gunner?! He's wearing a Hussar's uniform, idiots! _

SckizoBoy:
OT: Since I mentioned Rome... names... don't they know anything about prae-, -, cog- and agnomina?! Sequence?! Social modes of address?! No film I've seen has ever gotten it right.

How can you expect them to get that right, when they rarely ever even pronounce the names correctly to begin with? That's assuming they even use the actual name to begin with.

Trigger discipline. Well, weapon handling in general, really.

This is something that police officers regularly fail at in real life, and is a common myth among non-gun owners, and I wonder just how much the movie industry has to do with it.

You *do not* have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Period. NCIS normally does it right, in that you'll see their fingers off the trigger when not actively shooting. Most other movies, though? Constant inappropriate usage. It can be a bit grating.

Not to mention the "every time someone raises a firearm, it makes racking noises," and "pumping when the shotgun is already charged," among other crap like that.

Dianne Feinstein, the senator that also thinks that video games is leading to mass shootings and all that, also supports some pretty ludicrous gun legislation, despite displaying clearly that she knows *nothing* about firearms. But that's a discussion for another time.

Here's her trigger discipline, pointing the thing directly at people without an understanding of just how asinine and irresponsible that looks:

Military and police in movies generally. Having been both, it's excruciating to see them use the wrong tactics, verbiage or just do damnably stupid things. 28 weeks later for instance was especially painful. "Oh lets just give this custodian full access to a supposedly secure facility, with no surveillance or active guards. Especially around this incredibly dangerous and utterly invaluable test subject of a woman we found carrying but not effected by the virus."

"Oh crap they're escaping, choose your targets while we have them in a cross fire with .50 MG's and a strong defensive position instead of preventing a second outbreak by simply pulping everything that attempts to leave with .50s. Nevermind that we locked everyone in a basement with some shoddy chains to begin with."

As anyone can tell you in an apocalyptic situation find the nearest Writer/author etc with a heart of gold and absolutely no combat training, while staying away from police and military which only serve as a example of how dangerous the threat is when the "professionals" get slaughtered.

Japanese girls in anime?
it is funny because AKB48and other idol groups try to mimic anime girls and it gets quite comedic.

Anything involving military uniforms.

Seriously, that law people like to quote about uniforms having to be inaccurate hasn't been valid for decades.

Awards in the wrong spot, rank upside down, all the other minor nit-picks...watching movies like that isn't good for ones sanity.

Gabanuka:
Swords do NOT go *shhhhish* when drawn from the scabbard. Most are either oiled wood or lined with fur so the blade doesn't fall out.

Metal scabbards are unyielding and retarded, only used for shows of wealth and never for an actual battle.

Are you by any chance a fan of Lindybeige?

OT: Most medieval battles are unrealistic, to my knowledge it was mostly two formations trying to break each other, not everyone breaking off to fight individually.

Wha?

in before
Hacking, general computer usage, image manipulation?

really?

Movies get everything wrong. That's kinda the point. Movies are supposed to entertain, not inform(with some rare exceptions).

chadachada123:

Not to mention the "every time someone raises a firearm, it makes racking noises," and "pumping when the shotgun is already charged," among other crap like that.

This is what I was going to put. It's supposed to heighten the tension but it just makes me roll my eyes now. I don't even know very much about guns (always been more into martial arts but I don't have the hours to go into how unrealistic fighting is in movies & games; youtube some real street fights and you'll start to get the idea) but that has always irked me...especially when they pump the shotgun like 4 or 5 times before actually firing it. wtf?

chadachada123:
You *do not* have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Period. NCIS normally does it right, in that you'll see their fingers off the trigger when not actively shooting. Most other movies, though? Constant inappropriate usage. It can be a bit grating.[/img]

NCIS gets a lot of other things wrong. Like... say... two people typing on the same keyboard to make the computer go faster.

Abby and McGee should know better.

purf:
Wha?

in before

really?

This is oddly an issue I've been having trying to make a "realistic" hacking game.

The stuff that's easily accessible as source material is "Hollywood Hacking" and the other stuff are games made by hackers to train other hackers. Not to mention the Hollywood Hacker games still manage to be overly complex while taking plenty of liberties.

There is literally a game where you hack by coding in assembly. It's brilliant and its mad but it doesn't help my project. :/

ObsidianJones:

chadachada123:
You *do not* have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Period. NCIS normally does it right, in that you'll see their fingers off the trigger when not actively shooting. Most other movies, though? Constant inappropriate usage. It can be a bit grating.[/img]

NCIS gets a lot of other things wrong. Like... say... two people typing on the same keyboard to make the computer go faster.

Dat N-Key rollover.

Jacking cars by fiddling with the key slot for five seconds.

Its called a SUPPRESSOR and it REDUCES noise, there is no such thing as a silencer for guns.

Assassinating people with sniper rifles. Movies always gloss over how freak-en hard it is to find a good firing position, that is not blocked and has a good escape route. That convenient abandoned building with the open window that over looks their hotel room (with the big bay window that they will conveniently stand by for several moments) does not exist IRL.

Angie7F:
Japanese girls in anime?
it is funny because AKB48and other idol groups try to mimic anime girls and it gets quite comedic.

This. I'm not pro feminist by any stretch of the imagination...but this is the reason i could never get into many anime series. That shit's just embarrassing.

Well all the obvious ones are gone; guns, video games, hacking, computers in general.

So I'm just going to say it's weird the way that they'll portray people who are into BDSM (or any other fetish stuff), dominatrixes or whatever, as being "in character" all the time and having their entire life revolving around it. Like in a lot of crime dramas, where of course they greet the investigating officers in full black leather because naturally they don't have anything else to wear.

NWJ94:
Jacking cars by fiddling with the key slot for five seconds.

Its called a SUPPRESSOR and it REDUCES noise, there is no such thing as a silencer for guns.

Assassinating people with sniper rifles. Movies always gloss over how freak-en hard it is to find a good firing position, that is not blocked and has a good escape route. That convenient abandoned building with the open window that over looks their hotel room (with the big bay window that they will conveniently stand by for several moments) does not exist IRL.

The way you describe assassination there... I'm not saying you're wrong, but the way you describe it makes it sounds like you have personal experience. Like you're really a professional assassin (maybe the Sniper from TF2) who always gets frustrated with people telling him how easy his job must be because they've seen it a million times on TV.

BlazeRaider:
Are you by any chance a fan of Lindybeige?

OT: Most medieval battles are unrealistic, to my knowledge it was mostly two formations trying to break each other, not everyone breaking off to fight individually.

"Awww noo, they've developed petrochemical industries, aww, those bloody Trojans!"

Ancient/the middle ages. The weapons are wrong, how they are used is wrong, the tactics are wrong, the strategy is wrong, the ideology is wrong, and even the culture is usually wrong. The only example that comes to mind that goes against any of these trends is the directors cut of kingdom of heaven. It still gets most of it wrong but it at least gives glimpses of how things actually were, and in this area I'll take whatever victories I can get, even if they are pathetically bad.

ObsidianJones:

chadachada123:
SNIP

Oh man, I was about to post about this. TV shows and movies in general get computers wrong, but this and the police chase through Second-Life (may not have been on NCIS) are the two dumbest things I've ever, ever seen, and are, frankly, inexcusably inaccurate.

Eddie the head:

Basically everything about space.

Heat, cold, radiation, gravity, Newton's laws, scale, asteroids, gas clouds, relativity, optics, logistics, black holes, supernovae, galactic motion, communication. No movie I know gets everything about space right. :)

purf:
Wha?

in before

really?

So much this. I'm always a bit annoyed when someone says "Enhance!" and a picture magically reveals information it does not contain.

spartan231490:
Movies get everything wrong. That's kinda the point. Movies are supposed to entertain, not inform(with some rare exceptions).

All movies have some basis in reality. Generally, if you don't get enough of that reality right, the movie feels a bit weird. How much of reality actually matters depends on the type of movie of course, nobody is going to care about space physics in Star Wars, while they would care if everyone was walking on his hands.

Vehicle explosions: even when it from above with rockets the explosion always comes out the bottom, not the point of impact. I mean I know why but it's always so obvious. Especially when Batman flips that truck in The Dark Knight.

ObsidianJones:

chadachada123:

To be fair the show isn't made for people Abby and McGee's age. It's made for people Gibbs' age and TV remotes mystify them. Like when they say the perp has the top scores in all the MMOs, the audience's knowledge of video games ended with Missile Comand.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked