Things you think movies get wrong everytime when it comes to______

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

kasperbbs:
During a gunfight main characters usually don't use cover and still noone is able to hit them. Well that was obvious..

Well, to be fair, if we're talking about a running firefight then this is actually believable- look at any close-range sudden armed encounters recorded by police-car dashboard cams. You can have four people with handguns emptying magazines at each other (15-21 rounds each) and have no one even hit. But if we're talking about the "twenty men with automatic rifles can't hit one guy casually strolling forward" then yeah, you're absolutely right.

Zeren:
Hardly any get trigger discipline correct. I pisses me right off.

Do this.

Not this.

Can... can I hug you? Just a little?

Plus, my God, I would be terrified to fire that second handgun. If it's that poorly-maintained on the outside, what's the inside look like?

The portrayal of any British characters by anything American. Also, everything exploding- oil barrels don't explode when shot, cars don't explode when crashed, neither do helicopters. If they did, jesus, watching Traffic Cops would be much more exciting.

Pump action shotguns. When you pump the handle, it expels the spend shell (that you presumably just fired) and chambers the next shell.

PUMPING THE SHOTGUN BEFORE YOU SHOOT ANYTHING JUST EXPELS A PERFECTLY GOOD SHELL (unless, of course, your gun jammed or something I guess, but since when do guns jam in movies unless it's dictated by teh plotz).

This is so, so, so, so, so stupid. Every time I see anyone pick up a shotgun in a movie or tv show, I cringe instinctively and prepare to have my suspension of disbelief shattered because of that first idiot who though that pumping a shotgun BEFORE you do anything with it sounded and looked cool.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of guns, I should probably mention reloads. Seeing someone fire for 30 odd seconds total without reloading while using anything below a light machine gun is such an immersion breaker to me. And of course if they do manage to reload their guns at some point they just magically transmute thin air into a full magazine of ammo considering they didn't have any extra ammunition on them anywhere.

Also, bridging off of that, no one ever think to conserve ammo in a situation where they do have limited ammunition. They mostly just empty mag after mag as fast as physically possible while being inaccurate as possible instead of maybe aiming properly and using their reserves properly.

There's plenty of other stuff that bugs the hell out of me including "historical" warfare and everything to do with outer space but those are far too broad and I'm pretty sure others have already gone into depth about them.

BiscuitTrouser:

2. The crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier on its way to the target (NOT suppressed).

A stealthy person using a suppressed pistol would also use subsonic rounds to avoid exactly that.

Coupled with the close range, I still think it's reasonable to expect such a setup to enable one to kill a person in their home or apartment without any neighbour calling the cops. At least, it would be well within my suspension of disbelief for a movie that considered itself "realistic".

Mr.Tea:

A stealthy person using a suppressed pistol would also use subsonic rounds to avoid exactly that.

Coupled with the close range, I still think it's reasonable to expect such a setup to enable one to kill a person in their home or apartment without any neighbour calling the cops. At least, it would be well within my suspension of disbelief for a movie that considered itself "realistic".

This is very true. I was commenting on the "silent sniper rifle" or "Silent assault rifle" thing we see in movies. A suppressed, sub sonic round pistol can be extremely quiet. Not SILENT for certain but relatively quiet. Id say its likely your neighbour will hear the round hit the material behind your target but it will probably be a regular loud thump. So they wont call the cops since its a normal sound and theres likely background noise of a similar nature from the street outside.

However if you were infiltrating a hostile base in TOTAL silence while they are listening for noise that thump is a bit of a give away. Unless theres a few walls and doors between you and everyone else its going to make a scene. Its definitely never ever possible to kill someone with a gun without someone RIGHT behind them or next to them in the same room noticing.

TO add to my list: Movies never seem to understand bullets always keep going until they hit something hard. It might be bones in some cases. If its a pistol it might stay in the wound. But if you use an assault or sniper rifle that bullet is going to keep going a fair distance. Most movies show the bullet disheartening after hitting the target. Collateral damage in a gun fight is always pretty damn intense, and shooting someone in a building will send bullets through plaster walls easily into the building next door.

Characters playing video games, they always play them so 'enthusiastically' if that makes sense. Always swaying side to side and sitting forward, gamers just don't do that. Also it's usually children shown playing games as if their the only ones who do, I have yet to see any characters from a film playing games as gamers do.

ComandaKool:
Characters playing video games, they always play them so 'enthusiastically' if that makes sense. Always swaying side to side and sitting forward, gamers just don't do that.

Sometimes I find myself doing that, at least to a degree, TBH.

Psychopaths. I don't one movie that IMNSHO portrayed them realistically.

Ratties:

Kenbo Slice:
Romance, it seems like pretty much every movie can't pull off a romance without making it cheesy, lame, stupid, and completely unrealistic from anything that resembles actual romance.

Say you need to watch As Good As it Gets. Well it pretty much avoids all the bullshit that comes with romance movies. Alot of the crap that comes out of the main character's mouth is pure gold.
as good as it gets photo: As Good as It Gets AsGoodasItGets.jpg

Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww it's a puppy.

thaluikhain:

ComandaKool:
Characters playing video games, they always play them so 'enthusiastically' if that makes sense. Always swaying side to side and sitting forward, gamers just don't do that.

Sometimes I find myself doing that, at least to a degree, TBH.

Yeah, me too. Only on flying based games oddly enough, never on first or third person, not even on driving ones.

Makes sense though; if my body is leaning to one side of my desk chair, then the plane in Ace Combat turns faster.
Legit.

Scandinavian geography. Yes we have a handful of nice fjords in Norway, but outside mountainous areas, we do actually have quite a bit of flat-ish areas. For example in Thor and Captain America, they both have a scene in Tønsberg, Norway, which especially in Thor is depicted as a fjord surrounded by mountains, which is quite opposite of what it actually looks like here. Tønsberg is a rocky hill surrounded by mostly flat land. And in that atrocious film called Beowulf, they depict Denmark as a place with tall cliffs stretching into the ocean, with mountains in the background. Denmark is essentially a large sand dune. The tallest peak rages a whole.... Just under 150 meters above sea-level. Oh, and that History Channel series "Vikings", which is supposedly historically accurate in its depiction of viking society... They depict Uppsala as a stave church on top of a tall cliff with a waterfall... Uppsala is in a very flat part of sweden, where some of the most distinguishing features in terms of height is the old burial mounds.

Captcha: not yet. Apparently not,

Depictions of Brazil and brazillians in general are pretty comic for native people. Geographically, it always looks like there are only two places here: Rio de Janeiro and the amazon jungle. Characters speak spanish, or actors from spanish speaking countries play the part of brazillians characters with really terrible accents, or american actors playing brazillians and saying phrases in portuguese that barely make sense (Me to give eat thing, I are hungrier).

When someone needs to escape a crime or avoid the authorities, they always escape to Rio instead of going to a low profile town. Josef Mengele, a nazi doctor who escaped to Brazil in real life lived in several small towns, never in Rio or São Paulo. But in movies... nope. They even insist in drinking caipirinha on Copacabana beach, the place where brazillian celebrities go for a daily walk. It's like to choose Sunset Boulevard for a hidding place.

Women are always ultra sexy hot with tank tops and very small shorts and everyone is flirting all the time. You just need to snap a finger to get sweaty crazy sex, after all, the national sport is sex (soccer is second). In reality, Brazil is not much far away from US towards sex. Television, music and movies are always openly using sex to sell, but if a woman dares to have a very open and active sex life, she's labeled a whore. Machismo is rampant and women are divided in "woman for marriage" and "whores", so nope, woman will not just jump on men laps craving for sex. This can be social suicide for many. The majority of people are very conservative towards sex because most are catholic or protestant.

For me it's when guns make random metallic sounds when pointed at people. If your gun does that I think you need to get it looked at.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked