What are adults "supposed to do" for fun?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

Which really brings up the question, what ARE they supposed to do?

They're supposed to get married, have kids, and drink a lot to forget how miserable they are and how much they wish they didn't have kids.

Lots of things. Anything, really.

Nerd paraphernalia isn't really something you "do", it's something you have. Unless you spend your time cleaning and arranging them or something, which would be strange.

Colour-Scientist:

Nerd paraphernalia isn't really something you "do", it's something you have. Unless you spend your time cleaning and arranging them or something, which would be strange.

I'm going off of memory and that's the best way I could describe it.

Dirty Hipsters:
They're supposed to get married, have kids, and drink a lot to forget how miserable they are and how much they wish they didn't have kids.

This is what adults in denial would say.

Colour-Scientist:

This is what an who has accepted their fate would say.

:P

Gambling maybe? Poker in particular. Or maybe golf.

Stuff like that.

Whatever they damn well want. You wanna hire a bouncy castle and have your friends round for a good old fashioned bounce? You wanna eat ice cream in your pants? You want to collect comic books and attend cons?

If they've got the money to do so they can do whatever they want. Anyone who thinks less of someone for their hobby should swivel.

My mother takes care of her plants in her free time, read books and listens to radio shows. Goes for walks in nature.

My father takes care of his horses and renovates stuff in the stable. He grows his own food for the horses as well.

My brother is too busy to have fun. =(

My grandmother bicycles all around town to buy everything that is on sale. And then cooks something with it.

My grandfather bets on football (actually really good at it) and plays in a band (accordion).

I know adults who go to LARP events.

Whatever the fuck I want to do. I'm an adult. I don't have to live by your standards of maturity.

Eat Reese's. Play games. Have sex. Pay the rent.

Hell. I might be getting a trampoline soon. Because fuck you those things are fun. I don't care what age you are.

I wouldn't recommend taking "how to live your life" advice from Big Bang Theory, OP.

As others have said, do whatever it is that makes you happy for the next sixty years of your life.

It's really not that complicated. ;)

Shadowstar38:
Whatever the fuck I want to do. I'm an adult. I don't have to live by your standards of maturity.

Eat Reese's. Play games. Have sex. Pay the rent.

Hell. I might be getting a trampoline soon. Because fuck you those things are fun. I don't care what age you are.

This...

Also, Drugs, lots and lots of Drugs...and possibly fishing, cheese-rolling, or trainspotting, whatever takes your fancy.

Drugs are bad kiddies, take it from me.

Last time I've check, some adults either go to the bar/ pub/ club or other social gathering (like a football match, a mate house and etc) with mates or watching TV. Yes there are other ways to have fun that isn't the activities I had mention.

As long as you pay your bills, don't break the law and don't screw over your neighbor, go nuts.

Did the word " suppose" change or do people not understand the question?

OT: we are suppose to get a career , get married , have children , maybe play golf ,poker , or bowling if you are a man . Take care of the kids, watch soap operas , and read fantasy novels if you are a woman . Men are also expected to cheat on their wives , women are expected to want to cheat on their husbands but never do it .

There are other activities like fishing and hunting and cooking and stuff , but there are a wide array of activities that are socially acceptable for adults .

Disclaimer ,: i do not agree with anything i wrote , so don't quote me on how i'm a terrible person with backward ideals .

One of my complaints as a child was the following: "All da grownups get ta make da rules!" (Include pout and sulky expression). Well as an adult I GET TO MAKE THE RULES MWUAHAHAHAHA!!! So yeah basically you do whatever makes you happy as long as you're not hurting someone else. As for myself I rather enjoy studying different periods of history, reading in general especially sci-fi, photography, playing badminton, swimming, and of course playing computer games.

Z of the Na'vi:
I wouldn't recommend taking "how to live your life" advice from Big Bang Theory, OP.

As others have said, do whatever it is that makes you happy for the next sixty years of your life.

It's really not that complicated. ;)

I am fully aware sitcoms are about watching dysfunction for comedic effect.

In the words of his holyness father jack hackett. DRINK DRINK DRINK FECK DRINK FECK DRINK

a free cookie if you get the reference and your not from UK or ireland

RatherDull:
I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

Which really brings up the question, what ARE they supposed to do?

Your not supposed to but then again one of those guys is banging penny who is without a doubt the hottest girl on the planet. Bernadette is pretty fine too and id probably do amy too she seems quite dirty. So really they aint doing to bad

Read the newspaper, watch football and drink in the pub. If you're more middle class you play golf and go on wine tasting evenings and drive cars.

Of course, if you're an adult you should be mature enough to know that such expectations are only stereotypes based on what people on average tend to do, and that you are free to decide what you yourself as a person actually want to do.

Legally I've been adult for a little over a year, and I really don't fucking know.

From what I understand, I am just supposed to work at a job I hate forever.

EeveeElectro:
Whatever they damn well want. You wanna hire a bouncy castle and have your friends round for a good old fashioned bounce? You wanna eat ice cream in your pants? You want to collect comic books and attend cons?

The moment you do that, you become the next Michael Jackson. That's the problem.

shootthebandit:

Your not supposed to but then again one of those guys is banging penny who is without a doubt the hottest girl on the planet.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit :(

OT: Whatever the hell you want. One of those times when XKCD got it right

I dunno. Fuck? I hear that's pretty popular. Until you get married that is.

I think that's what we're supposed to be figuring out for ourselves, now.

After all, we got different stuff, different habits, and different values than our parents and grandparents.

I've been trying to figure that out for a while. I'm in my mid-30s and everything people in my age group are "supposed" to do makes me sick. I don't drink, I hate social functions, and I hate professional sports. I had a guy tell me that adults don't go to arcades. I said fuck you....I do what I love to do!

I'm an otaku,video gamer and runner. I don't know how to be anything else. One of my life's goals is to run 50-100 miles. I don't give a fuck if most people think I'm crazy! If you want to spend your life sitting on your couch being a fat piece of shit, that's your business.

So I just say do what makes you happy. I don't understand how some people don't look at me as an adult because I spent my years playing video games and watching Japanese anime?

EeveeElectro:
Anyone who thinks less of someone for their hobby should swivel.

Preferably on a knotty, lichen encrusted stick. I agree.

I've always thought this whole idea that certain things are for "grown ups" and another set of things is for children to be an incredibly closed-minded one. If you are reasonably well-adjusted otherwise, who cares what you do for fun. That's why it's called FUN.

frizzlebyte:

EeveeElectro:
Anyone who thinks less of someone for their hobby should swivel.

Preferably on a knotty, lichen encrusted stick. I agree.

I've always thought this whole idea that certain things are for "grown ups" and another set of things is for children to be an incredibly closed-minded one. If you are reasonably well-adjusted otherwise, who cares what you do for fun. That's why it's called FUN.

But I never really looked at the things I do as "fun".

I don't think I'm weird because of it, but oh well.

I'm more or less coming to terms with the fact that there isn't and never will be a "switch" that flips on to indicate to myself and others that I'm an "adult."

In short, you decide what it means to you. Everyone else isn't living in your skin. Make of life what you will.

For the context of that scene though: Penny was angry at the guys for blocking the stairway with a prop time machine they bought from The Time Machine because she couldn't get to work and lost her shift and a day's pay. Leonard felt guilty and thought the things he enjoyed might not be good for his life and tried giving them up, but Penny later apologised for getting angry.

The stereotype is we're supposed to get a job and work 8+ hours a day at something we don't like but have to do as we look forward to weekends where we do nothing but watch sports with our friends while drinking and eating chips as the wife nags us to take out the trash or spend time with the spawns of our loins.

Now, what exactly it is that makes sports different from any other form of entertainment is... nothing. They're both things people can enjoy, both things people can get obsessive about, and just things people in general like to do for enjoyment. Take the kids out of the equation and you get the factor of money as without kids, you're able to take that 20K a year you'd be spending on them (assuming you're going by the idea that it costs 400K a year to raise a kid to 18) and spend it on your own hobbies and fun.

In short: Whatever makes you happy. You're an adult, you decide how your time and money should be spent.

I'm going to deffer to this image from Tumblr:

I shall keep playing vidya gamz and other things. Other "adults" can do what they want

Sadly, I don't think that a "mature" adult is supposed to have any real passions. He's supposed to go to work, go home, eat, sleep, and any hobbies he might have are only supposed to be there to fill the time rather than something he genuinely fells a burning passion for.

Speaking as an adult, play video games and watch cartoons and add equity to my house.

fulfill whatever goal you like while trying to not negatively impact the similar efforts of people around you: thats the only real instruction you get, and thats just simple social survival. some people have a real hard time accepting that their lives fundamentally have no purpose; i take it as free reign to do whatever the hell i want, and fortunately one of those basic things pretty much everyone wants is to not be on anyone's shitlist, so its all benevolent anarchism for me :p

According to mainstream British media I am meant to have a job, a "missus" (barf), drink on Fridays... I'm running out of ideas. In actuality I work, game, read etc. Do what ever you please as long as you take care of your responsibilities.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked