What are adults "supposed to do" for fun?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

RatherDull:
I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

Which really brings up the question, what ARE they supposed to do?

personally i've always kind of figured this is basically why we enjoy sex...

or to quote the sage that was Tropico 2 : "fancy a bit o slap and' tickle ?" *giggle* "Waaayhayyy"

seriously just do what ever you want (within reason and the law etc) and enjoy life.

"growing up" is nothing more than wearing the mask you think others want to see and you'll be stony faced soon enough...

RatherDull:
I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

Which really brings up the question, what ARE they supposed to do?

Who gives a shit what we are supposed to do?

I live my life the way I want, I have my hobby (Collecting Video Games and Video Game memorabilia/paraphanilia), my career (studying for Computer Network Security Major), and basic socializing. Sure, I may get a few head turns on how I spend my time, but fuck 'em. I will spend it how I want to.

.....I didn't push through puberty to be told what to do, I did it for the freedom of doing whatever I damn well please, besides the fact that the example you use is stupid because the person enjoying them is enjoying them as a hobby next to his job as a scientist while she is simply bitter about her failure at acquiring a decent job, you may enjoy yourself doing whatever you please, exert self restraint where obvious, don't try to hump everyone that bends down for instance, the police WILL catch you.

Stryc9:
Work your ass off in a boring dead-end job, pay your taxes, read boring-ass books about stupid shit, bitch about politics continuously, maybe play a mindless sport like golf, have far too many kids, grow increasingly bitter about everything around you, spend large amounts of money you don't really have on shit you don't need, retire from your boring dead-end job, collect social security, become even more bitter than ever before to the point where your family doesn't want to be around you but feels obligated to take care of you, die.

Essentially as an adult, if you think things like videogames and anime and sci-fi\fantasy are fun you're a fucked up waste of space that probably lives on welfare and contributes nothing to society which gives everything to support your loser ass so get a job or go live under a bridge until you die from it.

Welcome to the way my dad sees the world.

I've run into too many versions of your dad over the years. I remember a few years ago when I worked for Amtrak, My coworkers were talking about chess, and all of the different complicated strategies that people come up with. I decided to bring up a game of Street Fighter Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike. I started to explain a lot of the nuances that lead to the advance strategies that most pro level players use. People gawked at me only say...."there's nothing complicated about that. It's a video game." This was AFTER I explained such small things as two-in-one combos,corner trapping infinites,alpha counters and such.

I really wanted to slap these old,close-minded fools. Most people that worked for Amtrak only watched sports. That's all everybody talked about. All day long!!! I made me sick, and I wanted to get away from there as fast as my feet could carry me. Geez, I wish I lived somewhere where professional sports didn't exist.

Wait... as adults this intended to change? Uhhh let me see... I wen sky diving and I had to be 18... also booze. Other than that nothing a kid would not do video games, Go to parks, Shoot guns. Yeah nothing has changed as far as fun goes save booze.

If someone says they are not supposed to play with toys and I was I would likely tell the to fuck off as I do when I get "you are over 20 and play Guild Wars! WTF!?" because fuck you asshole! You play golf 1000 times a year you have no room to talk.

Adults spend time with their kids and families. They teach, help coach soccer games, take care of their yards, build decks, etc. They read, they better themselves, and spend time helping others. They host neighborhood cookouts, spend time with their neighbors, and are active in their communities. They realize that being productive yields far more benefits than living in leisure.

They do not sit at home playing video games. They do not collect comic books.

They care more about real life than fictional life.

They live their own lives, not vicariously through a fictional super hero or space marine...

hooblabla6262:
What the hell gives Penny the right to call herself more of an adult than Leonard?!
Sure, he owns toys and video games. He's also a scientist with a higher education than that backwater waitress.
I have watched every episode of that show, and I just can't stand Penny.
Worst sitcom character.

Soooo much of this. honestly, if I nodded my head in agreement starting now I wouldn't get to stop until a few moments before the heat death of the universe. I get that the show is designed so that Penny is the audience surrogate. she's supposed to be the "normal" person living among the silly nerd folk, but the occupation of said nerds makes a lot of her common sense come across as fairly arbitrary.

Yeah, Penny, isn't it funny that Sheldon is a socially awkward introvert who'll probably never have sex? oh yeah, he's also a world-regarded physicist who's already published work in his field of study... but hey, you're a real adult, what have you contributed to the world? ah, cheesecake and a tampon commercial. no wonder you condescend to the nerds you live with.

really, that can be seen as the Achilles heel in anyone who looks down on people for having unacceptable hobbies. the negative stigma assumes that they're somehow accomplishing less than real adults. if you're maintaining a steady and rewarding job, just ignore it as arbitrary.

cpukill:

Little Woodsman:
And they should enjoy games, anime, Dr. Who, ponies & comics. 'Cuz they're the bestest.

Ugh...you had to put in ponies....

I'll see your pony and raise you a "hang dead animals on the swingset from hell".

You mean you *shot* him instead of tearing his throat out with your teeth?

Weak Sauce.

ZorroFonzarelli:
Adults spend time with their kids and families. They teach, help coach soccer games, take care of their yards, build decks, etc. They read, they better themselves, and spend time helping others. They host neighborhood cookouts, spend time with their neighbors, and are active in their communities. They realize that being productive yields far more benefits than living in leisure.

They live their own lives, not vicariously through a fictional super hero or space marine...

If this is the case, then there are very few people who are actually adults, which makes me think that your definition needs tweaking.

ZorroFonzarelli:

I don't have a family or friends so then what? People don't give a fuck about me and I don't give a fuck about them. Socializing has been a struggle for me, and I can't be bothered to be around people who wouldn't care at all about what I like to do. I'd rather be around nerds ANYDAY!! They are just far more interesting people.

Vausch:
The stereotype is we're supposed to get a job and work 8+ hours a day at something we don't like but have to do as we look forward to weekends where we do nothing but watch sports with our friends while drinking and eating chips as the wife nags us to take out the trash or spend time with the spawns of our loins.

Oh fuck that. Fuck fuck fuck that. I'm going to continue to stare at this gundam statue whether society likes it or not!

Side note: This is what david cage wants gaming to turn into. All the boring stress of daily life with none of the satisfaction of actually accomplishing things. My god.

Play games, watch movies, play "spot the tropes" while doing so.

Julius Terrell:
*Snip*

I've run into too many versions of your dad over the years. I remember a few years ago when I worked for Amtrak, My coworkers were talking about chess, and all of the different complicated strategies that people come up with. I decided to bring up a game of Street Fighter Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike. I started to explain a lot of the nuances that lead to the advance strategies that most pro level players use. People gawked at me only say...."there's nothing complicated about that. It's a video game." This was AFTER I explained such small things as two-in-one combos,corner trapping infinites,alpha counters and such.

I really wanted to slap these old,close-minded fools. Most people that worked for Amtrak only watched sports. That's all everybody talked about. All day long!!! I made me sick, and I wanted to get away from there as fast as my feet could carry me. Geez, I wish I lived somewhere where professional sports didn't exist.

It's even worse than that, he's too bitter to even care about sports. He spends about 70% of his time bitching about politics and although he bitches harder when there's a democrat in the White House he bitches almost as much when it's a republican. He acts like he's the only person in the entire country that ever pays taxes on anything ever. The rest of the time he spends obsessing over his weight like a stereotypical 50's sitcom housewife and creepily stalking other family members on Facebook.

Until about 10 years ago he was spending nearly all of the household money on lottery and scratch off tickets while neglecting bills, going as far as to make sure he got the mail so he could hide them from my mom. When the phone calls and shutoff notices started coming she told him to hand over control of the finances or get a divorce and now he gets $40 a week which he blows on lottery and scratch off tickets while complaining about not being able to buy things he wants. Which is funny in a way because while bitches about taxes he's still feeding the state with every losing ticket he buys.

As is typical of more than a small handful of people overall he views any hobbies that aren't his hobbies as pointless wastes of time, but he likes to take it that extra step further and find something demeaning to say about them. Usually that people who participate in hobbies other than bitching about politics, exercising, and reading Tom Clancy books are all worthless lazy welfare recipients that get every dollar of his paycheck because again, he's the only person that has ever in the history of taxes, paid taxes.

I think adults get to do what they like to do but on a bigger budget.
The losers who dont have the money and time to do whatever they like are the ones that complain.

Adults are expected to talk about the theatre whilst eating olives or a selection of fine cheeses whilst drinking port. Also taxes, lots of taxes.

Sometimes pooping can be kind of nice.

They're not supposed to have fun.

They're supposed to be driven in a fast-lane career, floundering eternally in a dead-end career, or unsleepingly raising kids.

And when they do go out, it's not to have fun, it's to drink their brains out and forget the horror that is day-to-day life.

This is why I refuse to play society's expectations.

Whatever they want. Because what adults really are supposed to be, above all else, is secure in who and what they are.

I've been playing games longer than many of you have been alive, and I very much doubt I'm going to be outright stopping any time soon for any reason, and if I did, it sure as shit wouldn't be 'because adults aren't supposed to play games whenever they can'.

Captcha - Top Drawer.

Damn straight.

ZorroFonzarelli:

I take it you are an adult right? (over Eighteen/Seventeen).

Which kinda begs the question, if you feel so strongly about your opinion, why are you spending time typing on a videogaming forum, when you are suppose have more, as you say "Adult stuff to do". You are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there.

Also, Countryfile is on in a few hours...and you're lawn needs a bit of a cut, and the shed needs fixing.

Dirty Hipsters:
They're supposed to get married, have kids, and drink a lot to forget how miserable they are and how much they wish they didn't have kids.

This. Make sure you drink lots so you die early so the government doesn't have to pay you any retirement money!

Nothing. They're supposed to have a job, get married, have kids, and die. Drink on Fridays but only responsibly and only as long as they don't show their enjoyment (yet remember to smile, or people will think they're not enjoying the bar experience and be really vocal about how you gotta SMILE GOD DAMN IT!@!!). Play golf, take the kids fishing or shopping, or to soccer, become coffee addicts, drink spirits instead of beer (and don't even get me started on how ABHORRENT the thought of someone willingly drinking WINE is around these parts!) and watch the motor racing or footy on the weekend.

I think that just about sums up what's *expected* of me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a mecha-vs-kaiju movie to go see. Again. Because it's awesome having loads of free time with nothing much else to do because the job market sucks if you have a disability. Oh wait, that's right, other people have it bad too at the moment. Global Financial Crisis and all that. America in a Depression and sucking Australia, UK and other nations down with them due to the globalisation of the commercial world these days.

I however am single (no chance of that changing any time soon, though there's maybe a girl I might ask out for a coffee some time, I know her name, workplace and the fact that she shares my unholy love of Vanilla Coke). I watch a lot of movies, went to the cinema every week at one point before the price was akin to bailing out Greece, play games and write, and basically I stubbornly refuse to grow up, although you can attribute that to Asperger's Syndrome and the utter lack of comprehending what that actually means, more than anything. And not that we have a lot of examples of grown men to look up to, that I know of. Though I hear there's some good ones. Just not my dad.

Learning how to cook, exercising, and playing Dynasty Warriors 8... at least that is what I'm doing.

ZorroFonzarelli:

Yeah you go do that, have fun.

Me? Well I got better things to do.

Daniel Ferguson:
Nothing. They're supposed to have a job, get married, have kids, and die. Drink on Fridays but only responsibly and only as long as they don't show their enjoyment (yet remember to smile, or people will think they're not enjoying the bar experience and be really vocal about how you gotta SMILE GOD DAMN IT!@!!). Play golf, take the kids fishing or shopping, or to soccer, become coffee addicts, drink spirits instead of beer (and don't even get me started on how ABHORRENT the thought of someone willingly drinking WINE is around these parts!) and watch the motor racing or footy on the weekend.

I think that just about sums up what's *expected* of me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a mecha-vs-kaiju movie to go see. Again. Because it's awesome having loads of free time with nothing much else to do because the job market sucks if you have a disability. Oh wait, that's right, other people have it bad too at the moment. Global Financial Crisis and all that. America in a Depression and sucking Australia, UK and other nations down with them due to the globalisation of the commercial world these days.

I however am single (no chance of that changing any time soon, though there's maybe a girl I might ask out for a coffee some time, I know her name, workplace and the fact that she shares my unholy love of Vanilla Coke). I watch a lot of movies, went to the cinema every week at one point before the price was akin to bailing out Greece, play games and write, and basically I stubbornly refuse to grow up, although you can attribute that to Asperger's Syndrome and the utter lack of comprehending what that actually means, more than anything. And not that we have a lot of examples of grown men to look up to, that I know of. Though I hear there's some good ones. Just not my dad.

Best post in the thread!

This is why I still act like a child. The whole point of adulthood is that I can now afford to do anything I wanted to as a child. It's quite brilliant, really.

Whatever the fuck you want to do, within the limits of the law! I don't go partying with friends each friday, because I don't like partying... I DO game with my friends most fridays, because I like gaming! A perfect saturday evening is a movie at home with my friends and whatever random food we decide we want to try (and fail) to cook that evening.

My best friend is a GP, I often go to his apartment to play video games when our days off coincide. My mother thinks it's strange or a GP to still have video games as a hobby. I asked her if she would prefer is he switched to the most common pastime of doctors; alcohol. She gave me a dirty look. It was worth it.

Adults are 'supposed' to work and take care of the kids. That's it, except for maybe drink. Any pastimes are supposed to be related to the kids; probably whatever pastime the parent in question had when he or she was a kid.

Unless there are seriously going to be people that don't know what being and adult means, then you will get the about the same comment from everyone.

Basically, with money at hand, whatever the heck you want.

You can do what you want, have the hobbies and collections you want, etc, etc.

For me, it is find a nice girl and eventually have a family, and still do whatever I want, because I think some of the worst parents are the ones that are always on the go and think they don't have time for anything. Slow down take stock, there is always enough free time to do what you want if you are managing your time properly.

Erm...drink and have sex? They're both pretty fun...

EeveeElectro:
You wanna eat ice cream in your pants?

Wait what, eat ice cream in their pants? Does that mean they feed the ice cream to their pants which has a mouth?

Oh and I do agree with your post.

This is how "adult life" works.

I went through a mini-crisis when I realized that was actually reality.

Colour-Scientist:
Lots of things. Anything, really.

Nerd paraphernalia isn't really something you "do", it's something you have. Unless you spend your time cleaning and arranging them or something, which would be strange.

That actually sounds very "normal" and "adult" if replace nerd paraphernalia with, like, antiquities or flower vases something.

shootthebandit:
In the words of his holyness father jack hackett. DRINK DRINK DRINK FECK DRINK FECK DRINK

a free cookie if you get the reference and your not from UK or ireland

I left the UK 10 years ago, can I still have a cookie?

I agree with plenty of drinking, fecking and girls (if you like). As an old fart, I do what I'm supposed to do, I work, pay the bills and stay on the right side of the law. In my free time I play games, go kickboxing and enjoy travelling and eating. The Mrs. and I don't want any offspring, so we don't need to get depressed about them ;P

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Jazoni89:

ZorroFonzarelli:

I take it you are an adult right? (over Eighteen/Seventeen).

Which kinda begs the question, if you feel so strongly about your opinion, why are you spending time typing on a videogaming forum, when you are suppose have more, as you say "Adult stuff to do". You are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there.

Also, Countryfile is on in a few hours...and you're lawn needs a bit of a cut, and the shed needs fixing.

I am 36, far older than many people on this forum. I am also a single guy with no kids whose HOA handles yardwork for me, so I have more time than I would if I completely fit the above description.

I enjoy video games occasionally, though I stick to established titles (and am slowly moving on), and I find many people on these forums surprisingly mature and intelligent for their age. I love Yahtzee's reviews because they're funny even if I'm never going to play the game, and my attention is sometimes captured by threads on the off-topic forum threads like this one.

Re-reading it, I didn't state my video game point well by saying "They do not sit at home playing video games.", I meant they don't spend hours and hours on them. Even my dad (age 68) enjoys winding down a day with Tetris. Occasional gaming is normal this day in age. Sitting at home on a Friday night in front of WoW is, well...

As far as I go, you're right - I don't perfectly meet my own definition, because part of me is a kid at heart and still has many of the same interests you all do.

That doesn't mean I wasn't going to answer the question honestly. :)

Adults aren't allowed to have fun. You're supposed to "get all that out of your system" by your mid-twenties so you can buckle down for The Serious Business Of Life -- namely job, rent, chores, wife, kids, and pets. After all that, there isn't time for fun anyway.

Actually it's more like your definition of fun changes. You stop having "ha-ha, wheeeeeeeeeee" fun, and start enjoying productive things.

I dunno I'm 20 years old now, so I don't know if I'm really an adult yet. When I was a kid, all I ever wanted was to grow up. Now that I'm older, I wish I was a kid. Less responsibilities.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked