What are adults "supposed to do" for fun?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

ZorroFonzarelli:

Jazoni89:

ZorroFonzarelli:
Adults spend time with their kids and families. They teach, help coach soccer games, take care of their yards, build decks, etc. They read, they better themselves, and spend time helping others. They host neighborhood cookouts, spend time with their neighbors, and are active in their communities. They realize that being productive yields far more benefits than living in leisure.

They do not sit at home playing video games. They do not collect comic books.

They care more about real life than fictional life.

They live their own lives, not vicariously through a fictional super hero or space marine...

I take it you are an adult right? (over Eighteen/Seventeen).

Which kinda begs the question, if you feel so strongly about your opinion, why are you spending time typing on a videogaming forum, when you are suppose have more, as you say "Adult stuff to do". You are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there.

Also, Countryfile is on in a few hours...and you're lawn needs a bit of a cut, and the shed needs fixing.

I am 36, far older than many people on this forum. I am also a single guy with no kids whose HOA handles yardwork for me, so I have more time than I would if I completely fit the above description.

I enjoy video games occasionally, though I stick to established titles (and am slowly moving on), and I find many people on these forums surprisingly mature and intelligent for their age. I love Yahtzee's reviews because they're funny even if I'm never going to play the game, and my attention is sometimes captured by threads on the off-topic forum threads like this one.

Re-reading it, I didn't state my video game point well by saying "They do not sit at home playing video games.", I meant they don't spend hours and hours on them. Even my dad (age 68) enjoys winding down a day with Tetris. Occasional gaming is normal this day in age. Sitting at home on a Friday night in front of WoW is, well...

As far as I go, you're right - I don't perfectly meet my own definition, because part of me is a kid at heart and still has many of the same interests you all do.

That doesn't mean I wasn't going to answer the question honestly. :)

I turn 36 in November and I promise that I'll gladly drop hundreds of hours into gaming if I had a gaming console. I don't have any kids or wife so that's what I do when I'm not out running 50-70 miles a week. I've spent the last 12 years playing dance games(DDR,ITG,PIU), and I plan on on buying my own In the grove arcade cabinet in my place. That has been my dream for the last 10 years.

I grew up with video games from the days of the Atari 2600. No man or woman will tell me I'm not an adult or immature. I assure you I'm more than man enough to show anyone who thinks otherwise.

Johnny Impact:
Adults aren't allowed to have fun. You're supposed to "get all that out of your system" by your mid-twenties so you can buckle down for The Serious Business Of Life -- namely job, rent, chores, wife, kids, and pets. After all that, there isn't time for fun anyway.

Actually it's more like your definition of fun changes. You stop having "ha-ha, wheeeeeeeeeee" fun, and start enjoying productive things.

First I had haha wheee fun, then it turned into "woah man, the colours are melting!" kind of fun.
I wonder what the next stage will be.

LuisGuimaraes:
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Can I just give you props for highlighting this full quote. It's not uncommon for smartasses to quote the bolded bit to appear really smart and worldly and grown up, and now I have the full one locked in for the next time I hear that.

So thanks!

Julius Terrell:
No man or woman will tell me I'm not an adult or immature. I assure you I'm more than man enough to show anyone who thinks otherwise.

It seems like you and I would really get on, but man to man, the way you ended this really let you down. Just saying brother.

ShipofFools:

Johnny Impact:
Adults aren't allowed to have fun. You're supposed to "get all that out of your system" by your mid-twenties so you can buckle down for The Serious Business Of Life -- namely job, rent, chores, wife, kids, and pets. After all that, there isn't time for fun anyway.

Actually it's more like your definition of fun changes. You stop having "ha-ha, wheeeeeeeeeee" fun, and start enjoying productive things.

First I had haha wheee fun, then it turned into "woah man, the colours are melting!" kind of fun.

I'm still waiting for the part where I start enjoying productive things. Do the dishes, they just get dirty again. Pay the rent, it just needs paying next month. I won't say there is zero satisfaction involved in squaring these things away, but it's a disproportionately small amount. There is always, always, always something else that needs doing. I can't be happy with what I've done today, knowing there is so much more still to go.

Johnny Impact:

ShipofFools:

Johnny Impact:

I'm still waiting for the part where I start enjoying productive things. Do the dishes, they just get dirty again. Pay the rent, it just needs paying next month. I won't say there is zero satisfaction involved in squaring these things away, but it's a disproportionately small amount. There is always, always, always something else that needs doing. I can't be happy with what I've done today, knowing there is so much more still to go.

Yeah I know, I get way more happiness hanging with my friends, playing tabletop and video games, being outside on a nice day and drugs.

Productiveness just leads to the need to be more productive, and where does that end? A burn out at age 30? Fuck that.

I always think it's about balance - sure, some people are always going to insult a set of interests that differ from their own, but when a "grow up!" comment comes from someone else it's usually about balance. A non-insulting person wouldn't care if you're into gaming (or reality TV, or spectator sports, or whatever), but if that's genuinely the only thing that you have in your life, I can see why that's worth a comment - especially if you're also complaining about your personal life or career.

Johnny Impact:

Look at it from the other end - you don't do the dishes and you end up with fungus growing in your sink (or worse: an infestation of insects or mice). Personally, I enjoy not having pests, and that's a by-product of cleaning so that's my enjoyment of productivity right there. You pay your mortgage, eventually you own your house and whatever percentage of your income you used to pay towards it becomes free money for whatever hobbies you have.

Drink, smoke big-ass cigars, buy legally dubious firearms, have casual, unprotected sex with multiple anonymous partners, and pass out face down in their own vomit.

Then wake up in the morning to do it all again the next day.

AccursedTheory:

As long as you pay your bills, don't break the law and don't screw over your neighbor, go nuts.

Pretty much. You're an adult; you choose to do whatever you want.

Retrograde:

Julius Terrell:
No man or woman will tell me I'm not an adult or immature. I assure you I'm more than man enough to show anyone who thinks otherwise.

It seems like you and I would really get on, but man to man, the way you ended this really let you down. Just saying brother.

Don't take it that way. I'm just simply venting a little. Over the years people have always tried to treat me like I was a kid or less of an adult because of my hobbies. It just grinds my gears that it's alright for everyone to do what they like to do, but then people all of sudden say "No adult does what you do!" It's sickening!

I simply want to enjoy life like anyone else. Here in America, if you don't watch sports,go to clubs,drink, and like cars you're not not a normal adult. So don't be offended. I apologize if I came off as a little pushy.

I don't really have any friends, because I don't confirm to above stereotypes. It is indeed tough growing up in our generation. Our generation is about a radical change in thinking. So much more so than people realize. Older generations can't handle that, because they grew up in a different time where people did different things. That is what I believe to be the real root of the problem.

Z of the Na'vi:
I wouldn't recommend taking "how to live your life" advice from Big Bang Theory, OP.

To be fair, the episode ends with (SPOILER does anyone really care it's just TBBT) one person pointing out that even the one who was saying it was immature likes her own 'childish' niknaks and everyone realises that actually people should do whatever it is they wanna do and shouldn't judge each other.

OP: From the films I've watched and the books I've read I get the impression that adults are only allowed to have fun in secret basements where they have to wear large rimmed hats pulled down over their faces and pay money to a large man in a suit to enter and if anyone finds out then their spouse leaves them and they become bankrupt.

Comics seems less risky, to be honest.

I'm 20 and it seems most people my age work, get drunk and spend time with and have sex with their girlfriend/boyfriend. I don't do those last two things and I'm pretty lazy so I end up playing a lot of video games and skateboarding.

Julius Terrell:

ZorroFonzarelli:

Jazoni89:

I take it you are an adult right? (over Eighteen/Seventeen).

Which kinda begs the question, if you feel so strongly about your opinion, why are you spending time typing on a videogaming forum, when you are suppose have more, as you say "Adult stuff to do". You are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there.

Also, Countryfile is on in a few hours...and you're lawn needs a bit of a cut, and the shed needs fixing.

I am 36, far older than many people on this forum. I am also a single guy with no kids whose HOA handles yardwork for me, so I have more time than I would if I completely fit the above description.

I enjoy video games occasionally, though I stick to established titles (and am slowly moving on), and I find many people on these forums surprisingly mature and intelligent for their age. I love Yahtzee's reviews because they're funny even if I'm never going to play the game, and my attention is sometimes captured by threads on the off-topic forum threads like this one.

Re-reading it, I didn't state my video game point well by saying "They do not sit at home playing video games.", I meant they don't spend hours and hours on them. Even my dad (age 68) enjoys winding down a day with Tetris. Occasional gaming is normal this day in age. Sitting at home on a Friday night in front of WoW is, well...

As far as I go, you're right - I don't perfectly meet my own definition, because part of me is a kid at heart and still has many of the same interests you all do.

That doesn't mean I wasn't going to answer the question honestly. :)

I turn 36 in November and I promise that I'll gladly drop hundreds of hours into gaming if I had a gaming console. I don't have any kids or wife so that's what I do when I'm not out running 50-70 miles a week. I've spent the last 12 years playing dance games(DDR,ITG,PIU), and I plan on on buying my own In the grove arcade cabinet in my place. That has been my dream for the last 10 years.

I grew up with video games from the days of the Atari 2600. No man or woman will tell me I'm not an adult or immature. I assure you I'm more than man enough to show anyone who thinks otherwise.

Whatever floats your boat! :)

Frankly, much of the time I don't act my age either.

Again, I was just answering the question honestly.

drink, have sex and party like it's 1999.

But in all seriousness, at 22 I still behave the same as I was 18. Which is Anime, go out and socialize, travel, and stick to hobbies I like such as photography and surfing. And I'll prob still be the same at 30+

ZorroFonzarelli:
Adults spend time with their kids and families. They teach, help coach soccer games, take care of their yards, build decks, etc. They read, they better themselves, and spend time helping others. They host neighborhood cookouts, spend time with their neighbors, and are active in their communities. They realize that being productive yields far more benefits than living in leisure.

They live their own lives, not vicariously through a fictional super hero or space marine...

So if an adult has no desire for kids or a family, they simply aren't living life right?

And I do better myself. I practice Starcraft every day.

I've been wondering the same thing, really. Seems only 'socially acceptable' free-time activities these parts are going to a night club, getting wasted and then dealing with the various repercussions sure to follow. None of that is to my liking. I once mentioned having a night in with friends to some acquintance, and he instantly asked what sort of refreshments we'd be having. When he heard there'd be no booze his reaction was a stumped "But then what do you DO? Like, for fun?"

Sub-prime mortgages and chardonnay parties.

Daniel Ferguson:
(and don't even get me started on how ABHORRENT the thought of someone willingly drinking WINE is around these parts!)

I drink wine.

My taste for Chilean Merlot has no bearing on adulthood or social status.

Ner ner ner ner ner.

RatherDull:

ZorroFonzarelli:

So if an adult has no desire for kids or a family, they simply aren't living life right?

And I do better myself. I practice Starcraft every day.

How can I not ROFL at this post!

You win the internet good sir!!

One could argue that not having kids is extremely selfish.

On the other hand, it's not as though the breeders are simply going to stop.

Pink Gregory:

Daniel Ferguson:
(and don't even get me started on how ABHORRENT the thought of someone willingly drinking WINE is around these parts!)

I drink wine.

My taste for Chilean Merlot has no bearing on adulthood or social status.

Ner ner ner ner ner.

We're just not allowed to drink it in Australia. Many times people have looked at me and gone "...Why??" To which I answer "Because. That's why."

According to my family, sit around being miserable watching horrendous television pretending its all so much fun. All whilst looking down on people who dare to do anything else that they enjoy. We have a neighbor who plays the bagpipes and goes sledging with husky dogs in winter, but he is 'a weirdo' for enjoying activities that are not to their exact tastes (or perhaps that's just because we are British and therefore hate our eccentric neighbors whilst being patriotically proud of them for some reason).

I say do whatever makes you happy. I'm in my mid 20's and watch Cartoons, paint Warhammer and set off walking in random directions for hours at a time. Just don't get caught up in the make believe notion that your only allowed to enjoy a very narrow range of things when you reach a particular age.

They're supposed to do whatever the fuck they like to do. As long as that doesn't turn them into massive cunts then everything will be fine won't it?

Johnny Impact:

i take my 65 year old mother to see computer animated "children's films" in 21st century 3D and she loves them...in fact half the time its her nagging me to take her...

i think we can manage to do both.

or to put it another way: "taking care of business" is just "taking care of business", it doesn't mean you can't be a player :P

Retrograde:

LuisGuimaraes:
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Can I just give you props for highlighting this full quote. It's not uncommon for smartasses to quote the bolded bit to appear really smart and worldly and grown up, and now I have the full one locked in for the next time I hear that.

So thanks!

Perhaps there is a reason for the common mis-quoting. C.S. Lewis was a Christian, and that was a variation of a Christian Bible verse.

" ...where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." - 1 Corinthians 13:8-11, NIV

Though, I think C.S Lewis was attempting to convey that enjoying works of fiction was not the same as making assumptions, jumping to conclusions, not thinking things through, or otherwise acting like a child. Would that make the misuse of this quote ironic?

I'm guessing this is the "fun" stuff...

Aside from working at a job I somewhat hate out of necessity and going to college, I don't have to do anything else.

Most of them engage in torrid affairs and alcoholic binges.

I don't know. Do whatever the hell you want; it's your life and if people are judging you for it then it's their problem, not yours.

Unless you are a raper. Or a murderman. Stop that. It's pretty bad.

Julius Terrell:
I've been trying to figure that out for a while. I'm in my mid-30s and everything people in my age group are "supposed" to do makes me sick. I don't drink, I hate social functions, and I hate professional sports. I had a guy tell me that adults don't go to arcades. I said fuck you....I do what I love to do!

I'm an otaku,video gamer and runner. I don't know how to be anything else. One of my life's goals is to run 50-100 miles. I don't give a fuck if most people think I'm crazy! If you want to spend your life sitting on your couch being a fat piece of shit, that's your business.

So I just say do what makes you happy. I don't understand how some people don't look at me as an adult because I spent my years playing video games and watching Japanese anime?

This is the correct answer. Topic over I think, well said.

RatherDull:
I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

First off: Why would anyone fault you for that?
Second, whoever said that (I'm pretty sure it had to be Penny) doesn't have a foot to stand on, considering that she's pretty much living in a fantasy world and not doing anything important, whilst the characters who DO play with nerdy stuff are making breakthroughs in the world of science (Or at least TRYING to), so there.

My dad has no friends.

He has "business associates" that tolerate small talk before moving on to another "lunch meeting".

I decided a long time ago I don't want to be my dad.

I'm guessing you're supposed to do what my Brother or Parents do.

In the Brothers case that would be spending all day working, then either spending all night running up a nice big tab in the pub, or spending all night with a girlfriend/wife. I'm not interested.

In My parents case that means working all day and then watching telly all night.

In my case it means spending all day working, then as much time as possible guitaring and then any remaining time goes to either building/painting Warhammer or gaming, though gaming is getting less and less time every day :(

otakon17:

Julius Terrell:
I've been trying to figure that out for a while. I'm in my mid-30s and everything people in my age group are "supposed" to do makes me sick. I don't drink, I hate social functions, and I hate professional sports. I had a guy tell me that adults don't go to arcades. I said fuck you....I do what I love to do!

I'm an otaku,video gamer and runner. I don't know how to be anything else. One of my life's goals is to run 50-100 miles. I don't give a fuck if most people think I'm crazy! If you want to spend your life sitting on your couch being a fat piece of shit, that's your business.

So I just say do what makes you happy. I don't understand how some people don't look at me as an adult because I spent my years playing video games and watching Japanese anime?

This is the correct answer. Topic over I think, well said.

I'm glad you understand, but I replied because your username implied that you go to otakon. I usually go every year myself. I'm not going this year, but I will always go unless some other financial burden or responsibility comes up. I lived in Baltimore for the past 10 years so going was quite easy. Now I live in Florida so now I have to travel, but I have no problems with that. Otakon is worth traveling for.

AccursedTheory:

As long as you pay your bills, don't break the law and don't screw over your neighbor, go nuts.

Dang it! I was going to post that!

I guess, when you're an adult, you should do whatever you want?

You are supposed to get rich then kidnap 2 pregnant women and pit them against eachother in a cage untill one of them eats the other ones fetus... Or use your funds to start a PMC and fund an insurgency in the country of the month then bet on the daily conflicts and invest in pirate stocks so the pirates will attack the tankers of your friends but instead of killing and looting they will just write "pwnd" on the side and then you watch your friend try to keep it away from speading... those good stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked