Satanist make Fred Phelps dead mother a lesbian.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This was the most awkward story I have read yet.

So the Satanist group believes (assuming they aren't just doing this for lols) that if you have two people kiss over a tombstone that are the same sex, it automatically turns that dead person's soul into a homosexual/lesbian/ect.? That's WAY beyond my understanding.

I won't get on people for laughing because it's just that off the wall. However, I also shall side with people that it's pretty disrespectful of them to try this on people's dead relatives. Then again, it makes the Satanists themselves look really... really silly.

The past few weeks, I keep being surprised by the weirdest stories. This has been the 5th one so far.

The only thing I find more disturbing than this sick act is the reactions of some people seeing this as some kind of glorious justice. The WBC probably deserve it and worse but that doesn't justify such an abhorrent course of action. This kind of stupid hateful shit can only fuel more senseless hate. Disrespecting the gravesites of the WBC's dead relatives crosses a line, no matter how bad the WBC are.

Alleged_Alec:

torno:
I really can't help but find this a little disturbing.

I dislike WBC as much as the next guy and I do my best to ignore them as much as I want to get back at them for some of the messed up things they do, but I kind of draw the line at the disturbing a gravesite.

Seriously, I think that's low.

Shadowstar38:
Right....

Because disrespecting gravesites is totally okay if we don't like the people the dead are related too. Has the world finally gone mad? This is sick.

If you find this funny I just have to ask where your humanity went.

Dead people are dead. They are physically unable to care about anything; they are no more. There is nothing intrinsically bad about this. Furthermore: how is this disturbing a grace in any way? Disturbing implies opening it, which, as far as I read, they did not do.

Doesn't matter that they didn't open it. The dead are off limits in any measure in my book. Not due to the dead being disturbed, but how this affects the living family.

Funny as the statement regarding violable belief is I am not sure the best way to combat WBC is to become WBC.

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

torno:

I dislike WBC as much as the next guy and I do my best to ignore them as much as I want to get back at them for some of the messed up things they do, but I kind of draw the line at the disturbing a gravesite.

Shadowstar38:
Right....

Because disrespecting gravesites is totally okay if we don't like the people the dead are related too. Has the world finally gone mad? This is sick.

Dead people are dead. They are physically unable to care about anything; they are no more. There is nothing intrinsically bad about this. Furthermore: how is this disturbing a grace in any way? Disturbing implies opening it, which, as far as I read, they did not do.

Doesn't matter that they didn't open it. The dead are off limits in any measure in my book. Not due to the dead being disturbed, but how this affects the living family.

I could not care less. This is still not nearly as bad as what those posterchilds for post-natal abortion are doing. This falls squarely within free speech laws and is a good example to everyone that freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequences.

Alleged_Alec:

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

I could not care less. This is still not nearly as bad as what those posterchilds for post-natal abortion are doing. This falls squarely within free speech laws and is a good example to everyone that freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequences.

If that be the case, then any action WBC takes against these assholes will be acceptable to you because it's just a consequence of the Satanists' free speech.

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

Shadowstar38:

If that be the case, then any action WBC takes against these assholes will be acceptable to you because it's just a consequence of the Satanists' free speech.

Nope. Illegal actions are always out. Actions that fall within the laws, sure.

Lonewolfm16:

SaneAmongInsane:
So the Klu Klux Klan has disowned the Phelps....

Now the satanist have turned against them...

...I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable with the people I share this side on...

Satanists aren't as bad as you think. To quote from the website of the Satanic Temple (the group that did this)
"1. Strive to act with compassion and reciprocity toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing pursuit.
3. People are fallible, and although we should all try to do our best, poor judgment is inevitable. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it, and resolve any harm that may have been caused by our misdeeds.
4. One's body is inviolable, subject to one's own will alone.
5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
6. The freedoms of others should be respected, even the freedom to offend. To willfully encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forego your own.
7. There are, and will continue to be, things unknown and misunderstood. We must recognize this, never taking pride in ignorance, never assuming the unknown to be forever unknowable.
8. While proselytizing might have noble intent, it is not acceptable to coerce or push your beliefs on others. It is always best to lead by example.
9. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion and wisdom should always prevail over the written or spoken word."
So yeah, they seem like alright fellows.

All these years I thought I was an atheist. Who knew I was a closet satanist?

Also, best line ever:

"Further, if beliefs are inviolable rights, nobody has the right to challenge our right to believe that Fred Phelps believes that his mother is now gay.

Lulz. XD

Alleged_Alec:

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

To be fair, no one gives a damn about Satanists. So a stoning wouldn't go amiss >.>

But fair enough. At least you're consistant.

Caramel Frappe:

So the Satanist group believes (assuming they aren't just doing this for lols) that if you have two people kiss over a tombstone that are the same sex, it automatically turns that dead person's soul into a homosexual/lesbian/ect.? That's WAY beyond my understanding.

I won't get on people for laughing because it's just that off the wall. However, I also shall side with people that it's pretty disrespectful of them to try this on people's dead relatives. Then again, it makes the Satanists themselves look really... really silly.

The past few weeks, I keep being surprised by the weirdest stories. This has been the 5th one so far.

Depends what branch of Satanism. LaVeyan Satanism put a lot of stock in rituals (mostly pinched from and inspired by various branches of paganism and ancestor worship), but even doctrinally their use is a bit tongue in cheek.

And yeah, it's awkward. It's kind of funny just because it's WBC, but equally it's a really distasteful thing to do.

Though the prospect of being 'turned lesbian' is 'probably'[1] a less offensive prospect than being converted to an entire faith!

[1] read: 'certainly'

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

Shadowstar38:

To be fair, no one gives a damn about Satanists. So a stoning wouldn't go amiss >.>

But fair enough. At least you're consistant.

Satanists are actually not that bad, actually.

Shadowstar38:

I believe that's the point. They're trolling WBC. All they're really doing is celebrating gay couplings in a way that's designed to infuriate WBC as much as possible.

Alleged_Alec:

This article demonstrates otherwise.

Denamic:

Shadowstar38:

I believe that's the point. They're trolling WBC. All they're really doing is celebrating gay couplings in a way that's designed to infuriate WBC as much as possible.

To defeat a monster you must become the monster. Yes. I'm familiar with the strategy.

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

Denamic:

Shadowstar38:

To defeat a monster you must become the monster. Yes. I'm familiar with the strategy.

Yeah, a ludic action really shows they're a bunch of bastards.

Alleged_Alec:

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

Denamic:

Yeah, a ludic action really shows they're a bunch of bastards.

Showing themselves to be as bad as the people they mock does show this, yes.

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

torno:

Shadowstar38:
Right....

Coming from a person who calls all cops scum, I find it hard to believe that you have enough empathy to care about what peoples families think.

Caramel Frappe:

They admit that "pink mass" is something they made up. Also, they are non-theistic satanists, meaning they don't literally believe in Satan or God or anything like that, it is just a metaphor. As such they don't believe in souls or the afterlife in the first place. But the WBC does, so they want to piss them off.

Desert Punk:

Coming from a person who calls all cops scum, I find it hard to believe that you have enough empathy to care about what peoples families think.

Good for you? I guess one thing has to do with the other in your head.

evilneko:

All these years I thought I was an atheist. Who knew I was a closet satanist?

Also, best line ever:

"Further, if beliefs are inviolable rights, nobody has the right to challenge our right to believe that Fred Phelps believes that his mother is now gay.

Lulz. XD

Technically speaking they are atheists, since they don't believe in any deities. Though it is odd exactly how closely their values match the modern atheist movement. I suppose alot of them are just atheists who decided they really like symbolism and the old pagan rituals, and decided to embrace their "demonisation". Plus it serves as a better middle finger to Abrahamic religion for anti-theists. I suppose I could be a non-theistic Odinist/Asatruan since I tend to revere and obsess over the Old Norse gods (thus my avatar).

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

I take it that this means that the WBC proves Christians to be evil as well? Also, at least the Satanic Temple is preaching tolerance with their questionable actions.

Leemaster777:
...I don't know whether to say "Sick burn, dudes" or "WTF am I even reading?". I'm leaning towards the second option.

Really though, regardless of whether you like this, dislike this, think it's in bad taste, or whatnot, it's not really helpful at all.

The WBC are a group of organized real-life trolls. Poking the trolls doesn't help, it just enables them to respond. The most effective way to fight the WBC is to just ignore their bullshit and don't even recognize them. Talking about them just legitimizes them. If no one paid attention to them, they'd eventually go away.

If you let what they do get to you, they win.

Well, they wouldn't be able to respond if they were all dead.

What? It's an option...

But yeah, this is hilarious. If they're allowed to disrespect other people's deaths, people should be perfectly allowed to disrespect the deaths of their relatives.

CriticalMiss:
Satanic lesbians are the third best kind of lesbians!

I'm curious to see how the WBC react to this and whether they will have to start picketing themselves because of their new found family gayness.

They havent gotten a reaction from Fred yet (which is who they WANT a reaction from), but thier guy in charge of giving responses to the media said his responce (which was somewhat chuckle-worthy): "I Dont care if you are dancing on a grave, in a hot air balloon, or standing on Mt. Killimonjaro, homosexuality is the graveist of sins and will be treated with its biblical punishment: the Death Penalty."

I just can help but laugh at the first part of that. Its just so random.

BOOM headshot65:

CriticalMiss:

I'm curious to see how the WBC react to this and whether they will have to start picketing themselves because of their new found family gayness.

They havent gotten a reaction from Fred yet (which is who they WANT a reaction from), but thier guy in charge of giving responses to the media said his responce (which was somewhat chuckle-worthy): "I Dont care if you are dancing on a grave, in a hot air balloon, or standing on Mt. Killimonjaro, homosexuality is the graveist of sins and will be treated with its biblical punishment: the Death Penalty."

Hrm... You know what? That quote could actually very well be treated as a death threat.

Lonewolfm16:

Shadowstar38:

Alleged_Alec:

I take it that this means that the WBC proves Christians to be evil as well?

Damn it bro. What are you doing? I don't get to fly into a blind rage over topics very often and your rationality is killing the mood.

Also, at least the Satanic Temple is preaching tolerance with their questionable actions.

That's...debatable...

Reminds me of the turning dead mormons gay.

After all it we're the mormons [well at least their church] that had done some nasty stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/06/mormons-baptized-obamas-m_n_197707.html
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-02-23/anne-frank-mormon-baptism/53226808/1

Even though a baptism doesn't nothing really the idea that they would even try to steal souls. Lets just say this happened following said story.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2012/02/you-can-now-turn-all-dead-mormons-gay/

Lets just say allot of dead mormons will be happy gay marriage is now officially allowed. After all they are gay now!

Alleged_Alec:

BOOM headshot65:

CriticalMiss:

Hrm... You know what? That quote could actually very well be treated as a death threat.

You want to try a go at them with that? Be my guest. I would just like to point out however that EVERYONE in the family is a lawyer (and the children/teens are lawyers in training), and Fred himself was, rather Ironically, one of the best civil rights lawyers in the country in the 1960's. They know of and WILL explote every little loophole in every law so that they always win in court.

Hence why people have started getting creative. Its the only way to get back at them without a lawsuit breaking out.

I think they should now send a letter to Phelps once a month that simply reads "Your mother munches carpet in hell!" with a big smiley face that has devil horns on it taking up the rest of the page. :3

Ugh... The dead are beyond discomfort and the Phelps family is certainly beyond any feelings of compassion (at least from me), but WBC is pretty much a real-life troll; the less media attention of any kind they get, the better. This doesn't really help them fade into oblivion, where they belong.

I'm not sure how making out over a grave will make the deceased gay, but I guess as long as it ruffles Fred Phelps' feathers go for it.

Shadowstar38:
Right....

Lonewolfm16:

Satanists aren't as bad as you think. To quote from the website of the Satanic Temple (the group that did this)
"1. Strive to act with compassion and reciprocity toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing pursuit.
3. People are fallible, and although we should all try to do our best, poor judgment is inevitable. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it, and resolve any harm that may have been caused by our misdeeds.
4. One's body is inviolable, subject to one's own will alone.
5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
6. The freedoms of others should be respected, even the freedom to offend. To willfully encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forego your own.
7. There are, and will continue to be, things unknown and misunderstood. We must recognize this, never taking pride in ignorance, never assuming the unknown to be forever unknowable.
8. While proselytizing might have noble intent, it is not acceptable to coerce or push your beliefs on others. It is always best to lead by example.
9. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion and wisdom should always prevail over the written or spoken word."
So yeah, they seem like alright fellows.

Assuming they don't do rituals and stuff regularly (seriously, it sounds like they are doing this particular thing for teh lulz) they sound like normal dudes.
They are all right.

I'd say an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, but when it comes to Westboro's church of lunatics I really don't mind. The only thing that bothers me is that now people might start (or continue?) associating homosexuality with satanism.

Oh well, even if it does happen, more silly people for escapist articles.

Dangit2019:
I would ask that they respect the dead, but well...

I think that may be the point, though. WBC makes its name off disrespecting the dead, often at their own grave sites.

Copper Zen:
I just had a thought.

This kind of reminds me of the Mormon practice of baptizing or converting the dead so that they won't burn in hell for eternity.

Only reversed, of course. <_<

Bill Maher did it first:

SaneAmongInsane:

...I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable with the people I share this side on...

I feel the same way about disliking Creed. :p

On the flip side, I look at it like this: holy crap! Even the Klan thinks they've gone too far!

piinyouri:
I do understand the sentiment, but WBC has brought this on themselves.

Would you draw the line at harassing a community recently devastated by a tornado? Or a dead soldier who left a wife and three kids alone?

I suppose one could argue that we're supposed to be better than the shitheads at WBC, but honestly? I don't care much. These Satanists, though comically hyperbolic, still didn't go so far as the WBC does.

torno:

While I don't agree to stooping to their level, that second point has some merit.
If at least one person in there goes "Wow, we've kind of been dicks, haven't we?" then yeah, I think I'll consider this a victory in some way.

Unfortunately, the religious folk in this country tend to have a huge persecution complex. Instead of thinking "huh. We were kind of dicks," they will more than likely insist that this was unconscionable...And then go harass the widow of a soldier because God hates fags and America loves them [1].

CriticalMiss:

Pagan Lesbians>Satanic Lesbians!

[1] which merely translates into a slim majority of people not wanting to kill, harm, and/or deny them rights simply because they disagree

Alleged_Alec:

They can get away with assault by claiming religious freedom, so I doubt this'll go anywhere.

Unless it's a "stand your ground" state.

SaneAmongInsane:

Wait a second...

The KKK disowned the Phelps family?

Now that is scary.

Groxnax:

SaneAmongInsane:

Wait a second...

The KKK disowned the Phelps family?

Now that is scary.

Funny story, the KKK protested the WBC. Yeah, really.

You know something's up when you are considered hate mongers by the klu klux klan.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked