Swag and Humanity...

We all know how the "Swag" trend started (at least I think we all do. I sure as hell don't, so I don't know why I'm sayin-), but what I don't know is whether the people who actively engage in it actually take it seriously or just engage in it with the full knowledge that it is a trend/term/etc. Does anyone on here know?

It's both. Some people use the word to describe their style, and to actually express how cool or attractive someone is.

Others use it ironically to either make fun of the people above or to make fun of the term in general.

Mournful Crow:
We all know how the "Swag" trend started (at least I think we all do. I sure as hell don't, so I don't know why I'm sayin-), but what I don't know is whether the people who actively engage in it actually take it seriously or just engage in it with the full knowledge that it is a trend/term/etc. Does anyone on here know?

Wait... What?

Doesn't 'swag' mean free/promotional stuff? ie. "I just got back from the convention, look at all the swag they were giving away."

madwarper:

Mournful Crow:

Wait... What?

Doesn't 'swag' mean free/promotional stuff? ie. "I just got back from the convention, look at all the swag they were giving away."

Wow, you're out of the loop a bit.

OT: The people that use it unironically take it about as seriously as any other word but really it's being used more for ironic purposes these days.

EDIT: For example, my avatar.

madwarper:

Mournful Crow:

Wait... What?

That's the whole fucking reason I'm posting, I know jack shit about this stuff....

Swag is for boys, Class is for men.

madwarper:

Mournful Crow:

Wait... What?

Yeah, I thought the same. How is that trend?

Swag is just suppose to mean your sense of style. But it seems like more and more dumb teenagers who listen to bad hip hop use the word. So now adults make fun of it the same as we do with YOLO.

Soooo, is there any truth to this?

It's probably just a 4chan joke, I dunno.

IceForce:
Soooo, is there any truth to this?

It's probably just a 4chan joke, I dunno.

No. Swag either comes from the 19th century for stolen goods or booty (which is why sometimes you call freebies or stuff you get at conventions "swag") or from the word "swagger," which was originally a term used to refer to the way some Scotsmen walked, but the word eventually came to mean "the way one carries oneself." To say someone has swagger is to say they have a confident and self-assured presence. So, to have "swag" is to be confident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swag_(disambiguation)

The "secretly we are gay" thing came around on the Internet to make fun of "swag."

Mournful Crow:

Some people take swag seriously, but only within very specific social groups. Stereotypically, urban gangs care about swag, but I've seen a lot of wannabe non-urban "gangs" brag on about their swag. The idea of "swag" has existed for a long time, it's just taken different forms and names over the years. The epitome of "swag" these days tends to revolve around having name-brand clothes, having lots of money, having a pimped out ride, having lots of girls, that sort of thing. In the 50s this was also a big deal, and pretty much the same standards applied. It wasn't called "swag" then, but the cool guys were always the ones who had the slickest style, the hippest ride, and the hottest babes. People have always found ways to distinguish themselves from their peers and try to be the hippest cat on the block. This generation's term for it happens to be "swag."

I've had the unfortunate displeasure to meet a number of people- fuck it, they were all self-absorbed men- who do not use it ironically. There's something especially wearying about someone who attributes all reasoning to the contrary of their opinion to be the realm of "haters."

I saw a kid at work today who's shirt read:

SWAG
SWAG
SWAG
SWAG

I hoped it was ironic but I fear it was not.

To me, being Australian, the word 'swag' means the camping bedroll. So when people say they're all "swag" to be cool, it makes me think of bedrolls. So I laugh. That's about the extent of my knowledge or care when it comes to the term.

TaintedSaint:
Swag is for boys, Class is for men.

Maybe class was swag back when the men of today were boys.

I've never yet met a person who hasn't said it either ironically or in the context of "loot"

thank fuck for that then

It's a fun word to use. I first heard it seriously in fighting game terms where "swag" means having ridiculous setups or swag 100-0 combos even then I think it's slightly ironic. Everyone thought the Doom TAC swag combo was the most SWAG thing ever when it was first shown off in a match.

I use it totally ironically. It translates quite well over to League actually, Twisted Fate swags out of a 5 man gank no problem because lol Destiny.

Also I changed my Steam name to Captain YoloSwag just to see how it looked. Yup, see you can tell it's ironic because stacking both "yolo" and "swag" together is too over the top to not be ironic. I think I should change it back when I try to play L4D2 with randoms though cuz I get kicked a few times in the lobby. Would you really want to entrust the survival of your group to Captain YoloSwag?

"Swag", when not referring to free promo stuff, is pretty much only used ironically or by douchebags. I think it came from "swagger" which is a really confident way of walking.
... yeah.

The Wykydtron:
It's a fun word to use. I first heard it seriously in fighting game terms where "swag" means having ridiculous setups or swag 100-0 combos even then I think it's slightly ironic. Everyone thought the Doom TAC swag combo was the most SWAG thing ever when it was first shown off in a match.

I use it totally ironically. It translates quite well over to League actually, Twisted Fate swags out of a 5 man gank no problem because lol Destiny.

Also I changed my Steam name to Captain YoloSwag just to see how it looked. Yup, see you can tell it's ironic because stacking both "yolo" and "swag" together is too over the top to not be ironic. I think I should change it back when I try to play L4D2 with randoms though cuz I get kicked a few times in the lobby. Would you really want to entrust the survival of your group to Captain YoloSwag?

I would Yolo the swag out of that team.

I was not aware that this was a trend thing.
I just thought swagger was swag.
Well, I guess I will try to keep it in mind so that I dont look too stupid.

BathorysGraveland2:
To me, being Australian, the word 'swag' means the camping bedroll. So when people say they're all "swag" to be cool, it makes me think of bedrolls. So I laugh. That's about the extent of my knowledge or care when it comes to the term.

I know...stupid...whatever it is discrediting perfectly good small tents with their whatever the hell they are.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked