Before you go defending Phil Fish...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Akalabeth:

AzrealMaximillion:

Ugh.

That movie was a horrible look at the indie gaming scene. That movie was more of a warning to never work with Microsoft than it was a movie about the conception of indie games. That movie was also known for throwing Phil Fish's partner under the bus by stating that he asked not to be in the movie. It was found that Jason DeGroot (did the music for Fez and Dyad) was asked not to appear in the film due to the dispute between himself and Phil Fish. They also didn't include any of DeGroot's side of the story at all to make Fish's overall story more sympathetic.

A few things:
1. Every documentary has a story to tell, the fact that they chose to make him look more sympathetic doesn't mean that the story they're telling is a lie.
2. There's a difference between "not asked to participate" and "asked not to participate". From what I can see the truth is the former, not the latter as you're trying to spin it.

1. Every documentary has a story yes, but when you omit large portions of the story to tailor a point it makes the story look dishonest. And the fact they went out of their way to make Phil Fish's story means that the documentary is disingenuous. It means that the creators of the documentary had predetermined what the movie's message was going to be before it was filmed rather than have the story organically form.

The film wasn't a good documentary because it didn't answer its own question: how does an indie game get made? It instead goes into the struggle of waiting for Microsoft to release their games.

2.imagehttp://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/229538-indie-game-the-movie-s-new-credits-put-end-to-conflict/indie2-620x.jpg/image
The controversy surrounding the credits came about the day the movie was released. It served to make Phil Fish look like his ex business partner was screwing over Phil Fish for no reason. We never got both sides of the story because the creators chose not to even bother with looking at the other side. Instead what we got was Phil Fish ranting about Jason DeGroot while clearly not telling the whole story.

They got called out by not only by Jason Degroot, but by Shawn McGrath (creator of Dyad) for the false claims made in the film by Fish and the unsavoury actions of the film creators.

I don't care what story the the movie is trying to tell, when I say he looks like a regular guy it's because I'm watching him on screen. Just like he's a regular guy in this GDC panel.

That's not really a good excuse for Phil Fish's actions. Yes, he's a regular guy, as am I. Does that mean I'm immune to being called an asshole when I'm acting like one? Nope. Same goes for Phil Fish.

Regular guys can be dicks too. Its not some special position reserved for the Bobby Koticks of the gaming world. Phil Fish's reputation as gaming's most unlikeable man-child is well earned. And its not just they way he acts in he OPs video that leads people to that conclusion.

Look up his pathetic flip flop on the PC. He started off by bashing the PC platform and saying he'd never release Fez on it due to him wanting to sell to a bigger market. He ended by releasing Fez on the PC because he (like every other indie developer ever...) found that the bigger market was on the PC due to it being a more open platform.

Then him going on to tell people to buy Fez from the Humble Bundle instead of Steam because he'd get more money that way. He wasn't a fan of Steam's 30% cut, so he complained about it on Twitter.

Now if you think that a "regular guy" should act in this pompous of a manner so constantly then more power to you.

AzrealMaximillion:

1. Every documentary has a story yes, but when you omit large portions of the story to tailor a point it makes the story look dishonest. And the fact they went out of their way to make Phil Fish's story means that the documentary is disingenuous. It means that the creators of the documentary had predetermined what the movie's message was going to be before it was filmed rather than have the story organically form.

Considering that the movie is about making games, and Phil Fish is the guy making the actual game, I don't see how it's dishonest.

AzrealMaximillion:

2.imagehttp://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/229538-indie-game-the-movie-s-new-credits-put-end-to-conflict/indie2-620x.jpg/image
The controversy surrounding the credits came about the day the movie was released. It served to make Phil Fish look like his ex business partner was screwing over Phil Fish for no reason. We never got both sides of the story because the creators chose not to even bother with looking at the other side. Instead what we got was Phil Fish ranting about Jason DeGroot while clearly not telling the whole story.

Dude, you need to learn how to read. Or you need to re-read your own post.
By the fact you're linking this image you're disagreeing with what I said, but by doing so you're only proving what I said. Your original statement was that the guy was "asked not to participate". This is wrong. Rather he was "not asked", as in they didn't bother talking to him. In the same way, Phil Fish had a partner in the early part of the movie that doesn't show up at the end for whatever reason. Some quebecois guy.

AzrealMaximillion:

Look up his pathetic flip flop on the PC. He started off by bashing the PC platform and saying he'd never release Fez on it due to him wanting to sell to a bigger market. He ended by releasing Fez on the PC because he (like every other indie developer ever...) found that the bigger market was on the PC due to it being a more open platform.

Oh my god he changed his mind! What an asshole!

AzrealMaximillion:

Then him going on to tell people to buy Fez from the Humble Bundle instead of Steam because he'd get more money that way. He wasn't a fan of Steam's 30% cut, so he complained about it on Twitter.

Oh my god he wants to encourage people to buy the game in a format that best benefits him. What an asshole!
After all it's not like he made the thing right? It would be much better if Fish encouraged people to buy it on Steam so Valve could get their 30% cut for the three years of Fish's life he put into the game.

AzrealMaximillion:

Now if you think that a "regular guy" should act in this pompous of a manner so constantly then more power to you.

You know the better question is why are you trying so hard to find reasons to hate a guy? Like really, he wants people to buy his game via humble indie instead of steam because he doesn't want Valve taking it's cut? That's a bad thing? Is it a bad thing when Miracle of Sound suggests people buy his songs through bandcamp because he gets more money there than through Itunes?

And the bottom line is. There's no fucking reason in the world that justifies anyone being an asshole to anyone else. If you need to justify what you're doing, then what you're doing is wrong.

I don't care whether or not he has opinions. However it is the way he states his opinion that I have a problem with. Contrary to popular belief you don't have to be a complete ass to be outspoken or opnionated.

CriticalMiss:

Caiphus:
Who was the well spoken man sitting to the right of the lectern though? The one who looks suspiciously like Gabe from Penny Arcade.

That's J Blow, he made Braid. I wouldn't say he looks all that much like Gabe though.

Ah, thanks. Need to catch up on my indie devs then :P

And you don't think so? I'll google them

Eh, maybe only a little. The hair and glasses do it a bit. He just reminded me of him. Bleh.

Dangit2019:

the antithesis:

Dangit2019:
Well, in case that video ever does get taken down, I'm downloading it now. His acts of douchebaggery will not be hidden on my watch.

Rock on, masked avenger of the night. Can't let that independent game developer get away with, whatever it is you're championing against.

Someone can't detect satire.

Or there are way too many people on the internet who would say such a thing sincerely for satire to work.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked