"Dude Breaking Bad, Breaking Bad. You've gotta watch Breaking Bad" NOOOOO!!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hello again Escapist.

Okay I get it, Breaking Bad is a hit and has raved reviews. It may be as great as The Wire but can people stop and I mean STOP telling me to watch it. Personally I will watch it at my own time on Netflix if i choose to do so. To those who are viewing this thread think that it's getting annoying when nearly everyone keeps saying "Seriously you've gotta watch Breaking Bad", as if it's the best show of all time. It could be I don't know but just enough already. Is it over-hyped? Is it also getting on your nerves, not the show itself but those who won't shut up about it similar to the whole Game of Thrones thing.

Kill me if you wish for not liking the hype but I MAY watch it soon but i refused to be forced into it if I don't feel to be in that mood yet. TV isn't my thing anymore cause I have lost faith in it.

As of 14/09/2014 - You all win. I am starting my Breaking Bad bingefest on Netflix right now cause I have a whole weekend free.

EDIT: In the middle of season 2 and I must say... I just don't care much for the show. It doesn't hit me but maybe its the "second season syndrome" where things go sloooooooow or it was so over-hyped that I just don't see the hype at all. What ever it could be, it's not interesting me. Sorry Breaking Bad fans.

I have little desire to see it, as well. I have no doubt it's of great quality and well written, but a story about a dude who starts making meth to support his family and has to deal with the consequences and such just doesn't seem appealing to me. I might watch it with my boyfriend, but on my own I'd rather watch other things.

I might watch Breaking Bad eventually, but I'm getting more pissed off with my friends constantly raving about supernatural and Dr Who that I'm never going to watch either of them just to spite them.

Fans are fans are fans are fans. It shouldn't be too hard to tun them down. It can be annoying as all get-out, sure. But can you say that you've never wanted to share a show you're absolutely nuts about with someone else?

Probably a lot of hype is going on because it's finishing for good in a few weeks. People love having someone to talk to about these things. It shouldn't be much of a problem after a little while, once the dust has settled, shall we say.

I haven't watched it yet but I probably will. It sounds like my kind of tv show because I love The Wire and The Sopranos and it seems to be in a similar vein.

There is a lot of hype but I don't find it that annoying.
I just tend to avoid it because I like watching tv shows like that, knowing as little as possible before I begin.

Also, not to be rude, but your last paragraph sounds a little bratty.
People are talking about it because they enjoy it, I really doubt they are putting that much energy into trying to get you, personally, to watch it.

I go through so many shows that seem so empty. Nothing to them, nothing to sink your teeth into. Crud acting, crud production.
Then this show comes along, and MAKES me want to watch multiple episodes because I really want to see what's going to happen next.

We haven't started it just yet because we want to finish it all more or less in one go and the length of the episodes plus the addictiveness they have would ruin any chance for casual viewing.

ANYWHO, if you don't want to see it, it's fine.

BARQ:
Fans are fans are fans are fans. It shouldn't be too hard to tun them down. It can be annoying as all get-out, sure. But can you say that you've never wanted to share a show you're absolutely nuts about with someone else?

Probably a lot of hype is going on because it's finishing for good in a few weeks. People love having someone to talk to about these things. It shouldn't be much of a problem after a little while, once the dust has settled, shall we say.

I don't mind fans being fans that's fine. BUT when it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on it gets annoying. I am a massive fan of Stargate SG1 and Atlantis I am going to carry on watching (Universe was a pile of out of date crap), but I don't shove it down someones throat everyday or week. I like Dr Who but can admit it's missing something nowadays and I miss David Tennant a lot but once again I don't let it drag on. Sometimes going over board with a subject just becomes an irritation.

Maybe you are right its cause the series will come to an end but The Wire ended years ago but others still mention it so its not really going to go away.

BARQ:

Not all fans are equal though.Some are more annoying than others

Personally I have no intention of watching Breaking Bad as it's not the kind of show that interests me.Yet from my experience a lot of BB fans seem to almost take it as a personal insult if you don't share their opinion..I'm not interested just let it go.Going on and on about it isn't going to change my mind and in fact will likely make me more determined to not watch it

I mean I'm a big fan of Game of Thrones,Supernatural and Stargate(currently on an SG1 marathon watching all 10 seasons back to back).However if I mention these shows to other people and they say they're not interested in them I just shrug and say whatever.I don't feel the need to tell them why they're wrong

I've tried getting into it, but something about the show just comes across terribly silly for something that's supposed to be grounded in reality. There's also weird editing and time lapse cuts that feel a bit amateuristic.

It's definately no Sopranos, not by a long shot.

Is it really that hard to turn them down? I keep encountering people who complain about this, not just with Breaking Bad, but really anything that gets popular, the LOTR movies, Harry Potter, Community, Doctor Who, MLP, Adventure Time, Game of Thrones, I could go on with this all night.

I've yet to meet a fan that won't take a "no thank you" if they are trying to sell me on a show directly, but so many people who tell me about how crazy fans are, "shoving it down my throat". Who the hell are you talking to that your conversations ever go beyond:

"hey you should watch Breaking Bad it's an awesome show!"
"Not really my cup of tea sorry."
"No problem, hey let's play some video games"

Maybe your experiences are different, but more often than not it just seems like people that make this complaint aren't actually being bugged by fans they just want people they know or their favorite sites to shut up about whatever is popular at the moment that they don't want to watch or play. Of course, I suppose everybody draws their line in a different place, the last complaints I saw along these lines was someone claiming that pony avatars on a forum they frequented counted as, "shoving that damn cartoon down my throat," and another person who thought people talking about Breaking Bad on their facebook pages was being annoyingly pushy, (even though none of the people were talking to him directly he was just friends with them and received notices whenever they updated to talk about the show).

Where the hell are all these crazy pushy fans I keep hearing about?

I haven't watched it.

Crime drama just isn't my thing. I always find the fascination with the underworld to be, oh I 'unno... I want to say "exploitative", but that's not quite the right word.

When you've known people who exist on the wrong side of the law, attempts to turn them into a TV drama just feel silly.

I feel like this fits here perfectly

Also, I tend to agree. Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones/Walking Dead are 3 shows that everyone I know is always going on and on about. Freaking annoying after a while

Lionsfan:
I feel like this fits here perfectly

Also, I tend to agree. Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones/Walking Dead are 3 shows that everyone I know is always going on and on about. Freaking annoying after a while

Brilliant clip!

OT: While I *will* heartily recommend BB (or The Wire :P ) to everyone once, If you're not interested, fine. If you just don't want to watch it *now*, also fine. But people who get into a show late and then bitch about me and/or others discussing the latest ep because "spoileeeers"... those people need to go take a hike.

I have had at least 12 people tell me to watch the damn thing. Normaly I do not have a problem with people saying I should watch something but something about this show seems to make people unable to except the answer no and it is pissing me off.

I don't want to watch the damn thing I say but no they keep telling me and telling me so I had to stop my friends from telling me to watch it the hard way. By sucker punching the last of my friends who got on my case about watching the fucking thing in the throat.

My friends have now stopped telling me to watch.

I think Breaking bad is an absolutely amazing show, and i definitely will recommend it to everyone i know. However i also realize people may not watch it, which is fine. Try not to lump everyone who likes the show into crazed lunatics. Some people just like to share interests.

It's just a good show and people want you to watch it. It's not hard to tell people "I'll get around to it".

Speaking of I really need to catch up.

Yup I'm on a same boat as the OP (my mate and my bro insist on watching it, even my bro left me his Season 1 DVD to watch it!).

You could always watch it and then they'd have nothing to say.

I personally think part of the problem is that it's the best thing I've ever seen on TV, and I'm not a fan of a lot of TV. I loved The Wire but it's not been as captivating as Breaking Bad.

And lots of people think so, it's got a fairly broad market. It's not just fans of crime dramas, or obscure cult shows, or Fantasy Sci-Fi, nearly everyone who watches really likes. Which means the odds of hearing "You've got to watch..." is that much higher for Breaking bad. That doesn't make it good, or something you have to like. 50 Shades of Grey is extremely popular but doesn't mean it's good quality. And there's no reason to be bothered by that. Taste is subjective and contextual.

Maybe you just need to come up with some prepared one-liners to "You've really got to watch Breaking Bad";
"Why? What will you do if I don't?"
"It's against my religion to watch shows with aliterated titles"
"I have, but it was so traumatic I blacked out every memory and my therapist says I shouldn't talk about it"

Personally, it gets on my nerves when people say "Aren't you hot in that coat?"... If I was I'd take it off wouldn't I? So chalk it up to human nature.

Substitute "Breaking Bad" by any of the following: My Little Pony, Adventure Time, Game of Thrones, Skyrim, ...

What do you want? For people to never be enthusiastic about anything they like? Maybe we should all live in our little bubbles and never interact with anyone, ever!

I'm exaggerating to make a point here, but it's worth remembering!

I think people just don't know how to say

"I think you will enjoy this show"

So they end up saying "Watch this show"

Another thing that might be going on is that the people who get on your case about Breaking Bad probably just want to talk about it with you. That's usually the circumstance when I force people to watch things. I just want my friends to see all the same stuff I have so I can talk to them about it.

I honestly didn't really like it that much when I watched it.
Likely due to elevated expectations.

Yeah, my sister and numerous friends of mine love Breaking Bad and occasionally recommend me to watch it. In particular, my sister's favourite actor is now Bryan Cranston and, even though I told her that I have a list of things that I want to watch - film and TV - she says that I should just watch Breaking Bad first, when I have the time (and before someone, in her mind, inevitably spoils it for me - not that I'd care that much anyway).

I mean, I haven't watched The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, or The Godfather trilogy either, but I'll get round to it. At some point. Just not right now. I have other priorities, and sometimes I just don't feel like it.

I can understand why some people might just blurt out at you, "Watch this show; it's awesome". I mean, I know I've wanted to talk passionately with a friend about a show I really like, but can't. Like Scrubs, or Misfits (only the first three series, though).

I think it has one of the stupidest and nonsensical premises I've ever seen.

That said, whoever does the makeup for Bryan Cranston does a stellar job.

The reason people say things like "just watch it" is because its so difficult to describe the intricacy and subtlety of the show and its also very easy to reveal a spoiler or ruin a very poignant moment. I want people to watch it because I dont have anyone to talk to about it

OP, it's absolutely fine if you don't want to watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones at the moment. Absolutely fine.

Just watch them a bit later, I don't mind.

A pretty common thing for people to want to share stuff they like. Really can't see everybody and their brother wanting to share it with you at this point. Kind of gets that way when a show first comes out. Have a couple of episodes left, people usually won't start talking about it until it's over. Eventually we will get a ton of threads, with people bitching and complaining about how the show ended. Really pisses me off is how people expect the ending to be so mind blowing, that it will cure cancer and rain chocolate from the sky.

I watched breaking bad for a time, but stopped. It's a good show, it's well written, well acted, and it keeps a good steady pace, but it's just not for me. I can understand if you like it but, yeah i feel you. People need to chill out and remember, it's just a show.

I, too, was told by so many people to watch it. I did, the whole first season. It was fine, but I didn't feel a compulsive urge to continue it any further. There weren't enough threads left hanging that made me want to see their conclusion. Also, oddly, it was really emotionally draining and heavy. Something about it was just uncomfortable to watch.

Funnily enough I bought the first 4 seasons on dvd the other week, knew next to nothing about it, just wanted something to watch. And HOLY CRAP IT IS AWESOME.

Silvanus:
OP, it's absolutely fine if you don't want to watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones at the moment. Absolutely fine.

Just watch them a bit later, I don't mind.

This man, I agree with him. You've come to us to bitch about something other people have gone on to you about. I get constant visits from Jehovah's Witnesses at my door, but I don't go to an online community to complain about it.

No one really told me to watch it, but I always saw references and jokes about it whenever I was online. So one day I went to Netflix and decided to give it a shot. Now, I'm addicted to it. I won't tell you that you have to watch it, but if you eventually do, you probably won't regret it. But if you don't want to, that's fine. Different strokes and all that.

Oh well.

Your loss if you don't wanna watch it.

I don't think OP has been told enough, guys. Breaking bad is awesome. Have you heard? It's awesome. You need to watch it.

Lilani:
I have little desire to see it, as well. I have no doubt it's of great quality and well written, but a story about a dude who starts making meth to support his family and has to deal with the consequences and such just doesn't seem appealing to me. I might watch it with my boyfriend, but on my own I'd rather watch other things.

This sums up what I feel about the show too. Simply not my thing.

I do get tired of people recommending things and not taking a hint though. I have a lot on my plate and I can't simply watch everything. There's also so much I don't want to watch, so much I have watched and didn't like (Dexter is a great example) and some things I'll end up watching because people are talking about it without pushing it on me (such as Arrested Development which I loved).

bartholen:
I, too, was told by so many people to watch it. I did, the whole first season. It was fine, but I didn't feel a compulsive urge to continue it any further. There weren't enough threads left hanging that made me want to see their conclusion. Also, oddly, it was really emotionally draining and heavy. Something about it was just uncomfortable to watch.

I know the feeling. I watched a series like that before Christmas and it made me so depressed I just went to bed for the next couple of days. It only had 13 episodes and enough threads to make me want to see the end of it though.

I have never gotten annoyed over friends raving at me about some TV show or movie or game. I had people pestering me every day for a year to get round to playing Bastion - I eventually did, and the game is great. I had people raving at me to watch Breaking Bad - I did, it's my favourite show. I had people ranting on at me to watch Watchmen, Arrested Development, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards, Death Note, to read Iain Banks, to play Amnesia. All of these - apart from Inglorious Bastards - I thought to be really just excellent. My friends thought so, too. That's why they pestered me to watch and play and read. Because they want to share great experiences they've had with me. Why would that annoy me?

No seriously, you HAVE to watch breaking bad. Best show on television. Everything is just... Wow. Once you really dial in on the style and tone, every little detail is suddenly a huge thing... Best developed characters, the plot. Ugh... Just go watch it and we'll shut up. Then you'll be doing the same thing I'm doing right now.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked