"Dude Breaking Bad, Breaking Bad. You've gotta watch Breaking Bad" NOOOOO!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

spartan231490:

Spot1990:

spartan231490:

It's almost 3 hours, that's enough for two movies. If it hadn't gotten it's shit in gear by then, then even if it did eventually get it's shit together it isn't a good show.

It's still 1/30 of the story. Most shows like that are slow to start. It's the equivalent of the first 3-4 minutes of a movie. Apart from excellent shooting, very subtle and creative character development and foreshadowing, superb pacing and excellent performances there's a really interesting story that you barely scratched the surface of. It's one of the most critically acclaimed shows of all time. Whatever about not liking it but don't act like you not liking it makes it bad. It's not The Room.

Yeah, there's a difference between starting slow, in which case the first few eps would be slow and not really get into the heart of the show, and what Breaking Bad did, which was have 2.5 episodes that were actively horrible.

You know, you can tell people you don't like it without being inflammatory and saying that it's "horrible." You're just begging for arguments with people who like it, of which there are many.

Back on topic: I love the show, and part of me is sad that it will end so soon, even though I know the show is better for it. I personally haven't had anyone nag me about the show, even before I started watching it. Honestly I get more people who hear me talking about the show with a friend and feel that they need to tell us how "they don't get why it's so popular."

Considering most of whats on television is shit "reality" shows shows like Breaking Bad are definitely a change of pace. I don't have cable but when I watch television at on my lunch break at work most of what I see is complete crap that's 10%+ commercials.

sirjeffofshort:
I agree, it's on my list of shows that I'll watch at some point, but there are a LOT of things ahead of it. I'll actually probably get flamed even more than you on this one, but Game of Thrones is right there with me. I KNOW that I'll love it, and I know it's something I have to see, I just haven't been able to bring myself to start it, in part because I want to read the books first, and in part because at a time in my life when watching a television show feels like a daunting task, I feel like I should probably be focusing on other things...

I WILL get to it though. haha.

Given how long all the books are you'd probably could read them in a few months IF you had not much else going on (friends, social life etc) but the books are way more detailed than the show and you have way more character development than the show but to be fair it does a decent job of telling the main story and sub plots.

In regards to Breaking Bad most of whats on television is shit "reality" shows shows.
So when something that is decently written like Breaking Bad and The Wire comes about it's none to surprising that people are drawn to it as oppose to Duck Dynasty and what other imbecile they can get in front of a camera.

Oh look, someone starts a thread saying he doesn't like idiots pressuring him to watch a show and what happens? IDIOTS PRESSURING HIM TO WATCH THE SHOW!

Sheesh people. IF he decides to watch it, he'll choose to do so. All you're doing by pressuring him is to keep him from it. NO SHOW justifies this level of hype.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that making this thread will result in more people telling you to watch it.

Watch it, by the way - it really is that good.

Heh.

tomtom94:

GonzoGamer:

Spot1990:
...Ok, it's not a comedy though you do know that right?

LOL What?!
Then why is Bryan Cranston in it? That guys hilarious.

I thought it was one of those comedies that are just weird and grotesque.... like MASH, Tim & Eric, or The Sopranos.

Ever heard of Tom Hanks syndrome, or playing against type?

There is some black comedy in there (the bathtub scene in season 1) but it's at heart a drama rather than a comedy. I'd be very wary of going into something with assumptions based solely on the people acting in a series / film.

Anyway.

I don't get people telling me to watch Breaking Bad, I just get people saying it's fantastic.

And I have watched it, and it's fantastic.

So because it's cool to watch, I imagine it's now also going to become (if it hasn't already) cool to hate, better before it got all popular, etc, because the internet is a tiresome and predictable creature.

If you don't want to watch it, that's fair enough. Just don't make yourself out to be some sort of paragon as a result.

I never said I was above popular evening dramas like Brbad (I mentioned I like GoT), that one just doesn't do anything for me. I don't get the mania.

At first I thought "No, I don't want to watch what it sounds like. I've had enough of crime dramas." but on a week when I was sick with nothing to do I figured I'd fire the damn thing up and give it a shot...

Character progression, man. Everyone changes. It is one of the best things on television and well worth watching.

But it's dark and does take itself a bit too seriously at times. Some scenes are drawn out a bit too long. I understand suspense but it pushes it too hard at times. I think you could cut down every episode by about 5 minutes and lose nothing.

I know right? I just hate when people try and suggest things I'll enjoy. How dare they try and recommend entertainment?

Selfish assholes.

If it's the same person constantly recommending the same show over and over without taking the hint that you're not interested then getting angry is fair enough. If, on the other hand, you're regularly getting told you'd love a show by a variety of friends/ family then maybe it's worth taking an hour or two out to give it a try; if nothing else then you can say you watched it and it wasn't your thing to the next person that suggests it. That's certainly got to be easier than trying to tell everyone else not to talk about (for example) Breaking Bad, that's a losing battle.

I've watched multiple seasons and I still don't get the hype. I hate just about every character (they're pretty much all jerks and monsters) and it isn't written well enough to carry a bunch of people I hate. Other shows make bad people compelling or give me strong writing cues to follow or something. Not here.

That said, I do want to know how it ends. I'm just not sure I'll bother to watch it. A wikipedia synopsis should suffice.

quote="ParsonOSX" post="18.827240.20102204"].

Kill me if you wish for not liking the hype[/quote]

Ohhhh...That's a dangerous thing to say to BB fans.

Genocidicles:
I might watch Breaking Bad eventually, but I'm getting more pissed off with my friends constantly raving about supernatural and Dr Who that I'm never going to watch either of them just to spite them.

Dangerous thing to do to a Doctor Who fan. We geek for life. And we have 13 of them. >.>

BARQ:
Fans are fans are fans are fans.

Some are worse. Some are much worse.

For example, I'm already plotting to expose Genocidicles to Doctor Who. But don't tell him, I don't think he's reading this.

(Disclaimer: I'm really not. I just don't care about spreading "the word" that much. Or would it be "The Question" in this case?)

Colour Scientist:

People are talking about it because they enjoy it, I really doubt they are putting that much energy into trying to get you, personally, to watch it.

In my experience, people can really prod you into watching something. Further, and I say this personally only, I personally find a lot of the time the hype people shower me with kills my enjoyment of a product.

Then again, I'm also personally someone nobody actually listens to, and so I probably shouldn't be surprised if people don't listen when I say "I couldn't care less" about something. Either that, or they think I'm saying "I could care less."

kortin:

That said, whoever does the makeup for Bryan Cranston does a stellar job.

Really? Because all I see is Hal.

MiracleOfSound:
I'm gonna take a wild guess that making this thread will result in more people telling you to watch it.

Watch it, by the way - it really is that good.

Heh.

It's the internet. IF you made a post extolling the virtues of oxygen, 5% would asphyxiate just to be contrary.

I have had this trouble trying to recommend this to a friend for years now, until he finally caved in and started watching all the seasons except the last one. Then I got blamed as to why I didn't nag him hard enough because he was looking for good TV shows to watch.

I was watching Walking Dead and Game of Thrones before someone kept talking on and on about Breaking Bad until I decided to watch it myself and I'm glad I did so. I have tried watching some other good TV shows but they really don't appeal to me but are very well acclaimed by their fame (Mad Men for example).

Captcha: "and that's the way it is". Very appropriate captcha, thanks!

FargoDog:
I know right? I just hate when people try and suggest things I'll enjoy. How dare they try and recommend entertainment?

Selfish assholes.

Right? These people and their sharing ways, the nerve of them. THE NERVE!

OT: I have zero interest in the show and I couldn't possibly care less about it to begin with, but I'm not gonna begrudge someone that wants to share something with someone.

All it takes is just a "I'm not interested" or a "I'll get around to it when I get the chance". Both are perfectly acceptable responses and if they still get on your case about it then they need to chill out.

For some reason Breaking Bad doesn't interest me all that much. I am sure it is a great show but for some reason I just don't care to see it. Heck, I can't even watch Game of Thrones until the show comes put on Blu-Ray. Would be nice if they didn't wait almost a year to release them.

You're making it sound like the Escapist itself is raving at you. I have seen almost no threads on it and it doesn't really come up that often.

For me personally, I love the show and in my opinion, it is the greatest show of all time. Do I care if watch it? No. Watch it whatever you want. Whatever floats your boat. The only people who I actively remind to watch each episode are myself and some of my friends who also watch the show (I like being able to discuss each episode with them after we've all watched it).

At least they are recommending a good show to you. Imagine if they were doing that about the Kardashians or all those talent reality shows.

Well, the show is about as addicting and depraved as meth, so it's no wonder people want you to get hooked.

Honestly OP, you should watch Breaking Bad, but if you've been driven this far to make a thread about it, you probably shouldn't, because it's going to have to be far better than it is to get you to like it.

If it makes you feel any better or worse about the show, I compare it to Dexter, but the complete opposite.

Dexter is a show about a bad guy doing the right thing for the wrong reasons and slowly becomes a hero.

Breaking bad is a show about a good guy doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, and slowly becomes a villain.

Still, in tone, character development, and tense drama, both shows are quite comparable. Maybe neither shows are for you, and unlike the people you complain about, I accept that. I'd just hate for you to miss out on one of the better shows in recent years on account of people nagging you to enjoy it with them.

Do they even show breaking bad in japan yet? I have not seen it at all and now I am curious

You all win. I am starting my Breaking Bad bingfest on Netflix right now cause I have a whole weekend free.

I've watched the first four episodes since my brother was raving about it, he even said he thought it was better than Game of Thrones which I love beyond belief so there was a lot of hype for it, so understandably I went in a bit skeptical and I'm glad I did because it's no wear near as good as GOT, especially in the acting department. Of course it's still a good show but when I bought the first season of GOT on DVD (I hadn't seen it prior to then) I watched all ten episodes in one sitting it was that addictive, yet with BB I felt like I needed a rest after watching the four episodes, and since then I'm not entirely sure whether I want to keep watching, so maybe it's just not for me, I dunno I can't put my finger on it but something seems off, like the plot seems to be all over the place or it's not progressing at the right pace, perhaps I feel bogged down? So does it get better?

Jamieson 90:
I've watched the first four episodes since my brother was raving about it, he even said he thought it was better than Game of Thrones which I love beyond belief so there was a lot of hype for it, so understandably I went in a bit skeptical and I'm glad I did because it's no wear near as good as GOT, especially in the acting department. Of course it's still a good show but when I bought the first season of GOT on DVD (I hadn't seen it prior to then) I watched all ten episodes in one sitting it was that addictive, yet with BB I felt like I needed a rest after watching the four episodes, and since then I'm not entirely sure whether I want to keep watching, so maybe it's just not for me, I dunno I can't put my finger on it but something seems off, like the plot seems to be all over the place or it's not progressing at the right pace, perhaps I feel bogged down? So does it get better?

For me it's actually gotten worse. I'm halfway through Season 4 after starting a week ago (only because I literally have nothing else to do) and the show is nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be. The characters are so fucking inconsistent and annoying it's difficult to give much of a shit about any of them.

I thought Season 1 was fantastic, since then it's just gone downhill. Great to see the internet is still ruining shows by hyping them up way beyond what they should.

This is exactly how I feel about A Song of Ice and Fire, except I actually gave that a try before giving up because it's actually surprisingly dull and the entire community surrounding it is devoted to spoiling whatever's currently happening on the TV show. This is exactly how I felt about My Little Pony 2 years ago as well.

Even as a fan of Breaking Bad I find the recent explosion in popularity annoying. I actually started watching it around season 2 back when nobody gave 2 shits about it. I actually tried to introduce it to a lot of people, most of whom shrugged it off. And now all those people are acting like they're bigger fans than I am. I mean it was cool at first to see the show I liked actually get some recognition and popularity, but it's gotten out of control.

I guess I'm just a hipster.

My brother watched it. I thought it was too gross and stopped watching, but after the first season my brother said "it's actually really good". He doesn't usually admit that something is good so after watching one of the later episodes with him I decided to give it a try and it grew on me.

I imagine if someone tried to force me into it I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much.

The funny thing is, i actually go out of my way NOT to recommend things to people anymore. Because if they do not like, i am the one blamed for "wasting their time" so i quietly enjoy something. If someone asks me what i have been watching or playing, i will tell them, and give them the bare minimum of details. no enthusiasm, no hype, just dry details.

Because as much as people say how annoying it is for people to recommend things to them they are excited about, i find it much more irritating and snobbish to admonish someone for trying to share something they enjoy with you.

P.S Walking dead is NOT a good show.

I know the feel. People nagged me to watch Game of Thrones first, which i did. I didnt like the show at all, because of the horrible habbit with deaths it has. Oh, you gettin attached to a character? Dead. Another one? Dead too. It just came over to me as if it was actively trying to ruin itself for me. I need characters i can get attached too, and that's hardly possible if you pick them off like Chewing Gum. Ofc, after i told the recommenders that i didnt like the show at all, i still got the same amount of nagging. "You just didnt get it." "Get's better later." The usual stuff. Fanboys be fanboying.

After the same cr*p started with Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead and Dr. Who, i decided to not watch these at all, ESPECIALLY because everyone is yelling at me to do it. You wont shut the fu*k up anyway, so i might as well not donate my free time used on other stuff to reach that end.

Just to make it clear, this is aimed at the people that cant take a hint. Not those simply giving a one time recommendation. Sadly, the first group is the majority of the fanbase of this stuff, at least thats the impression i got.

ParsonOSX:
Okay I get it, Breaking Bad is a hit and has raved reviews. It may be as great as The Wire .

Funny that you mention The Wire, a show which proved to me that realism can turn a show into a borefest.

Cousin of mine is a fanatic of breaking bad. so whenever i come to his place he offers me to watch it. now i read the plot tagline but otherwise i never seen the show, only from what i overhead from some people. so we turn it on, season one episode one, and almost all major plotpoints - i predict out loud minutes ahead. episode 2 - same deal. episode 3 - ok this is getting ridiculously easy.
he didnt offer me to watch it after this.

I guess its my baggage of seeing over 3500 titles (according to IMDB ratings history) that i just find most things... painfully predictable.

OlasDAlmighty:

Even as a fan of Breaking Bad I find the recent explosion in popularity annoying. I actually started watching it around season 2 back when nobody gave 2 shits about it. I actually tried to introduce it to a lot of people, most of whom shrugged it off. And now all those people are acting like they're bigger fans than I am. I mean it was cool at first to see the show I liked actually get some recognition and popularity, but it's gotten out of control.

I guess I'm just a hipster.

Thats how i feel abotu firefly. Its a great show and its great people recognized it as beign great show, but its just getting ridiculous now.

kaioshade:
P.S Walking dead is NOT a good show.

Walking dead was one of those shows that should ahve been a movie. first 3-6 episodes were quite ok, then it just went to shit.

The last episode of BB was the best hour I ever spent watching TV. Not a moment wasted in that entire episode. Wall-to-wall sick moments throughout the hour.

So, Breaking Bad is as good as Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, huh?

Well, then, I'll be skipping it. Walking Dead is awful and Game of Thrones was so disappointing that now I don't even want to read the last two books.

I seem to recall the same thing happening with Lost or something. Anyway, I just kinda glaze my eyes and wait for it to stop. They usually get tired of asking.

TV series? I thought it was a movie about gay cowboys.

For some reason I always confuse it with Brokeback Mountain. Though not caring enough to remember the name shows how much interest I have in the show.

FargoDog:

Selfish assholes.

LOL

Seriously though, I'm all for sharing what you enjoy, but there's always that line, y'know? I've watched the first 4 episodes of Breaking Bad, and when I tell people that (generally in the context of "Eh, not my thing...") fully half of them keep trying to sell me on it. You can tell them you don't watch TV and they'll insist this should be the one exception. I tell them I didn't enjoy what I saw and "It improves!" they say - So I tell them I thought it was well made, but just not my thing in terms of tone, and they respond with "But you like XYZ other series/movie/game and it was depressing/violent/dark/whatever it is they imagine I didn't like!" and so on.

Painful.

BB is probably the only show I've ever seen that got better as it went on. Normally, a show starts off well, gets better and then goes stale. Meanwhile, BB has risen in quality ever since the beginning of the show.

In the middle of season 2 and I must say... I just don't care much for the show. It doesn't hit me but maybe its the "second season syndrome" where things go sloooooooow. It's not interesting me sorry.

The show gets better as it goes on.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked