Things I've learned today .. . .

Hello good people today I want to share something with you. after thirteen years of schooling in the US I have just learned that Mexico is not just Mexico, but is in fact 38 states united in the United Mexican States. *Clears Throat* My educational system is goddamn horrendous!!!! I mean good lord this is the second largest nation bordering us and I am just now learning this from my own research what the hell!! We should have learned this in the 3rd grade at the latest!

I cant help but relize why America is looked down upon now *sigh* how would we be able to fix this ?

Thank you for letting me rant. If you've learned anything recently feel free to share.:)

If you want to make cider and have spent the afternoon picking a bag of apples for this purpose, it's really hard to get any juice out of them without a press. I now have about 5kg of apples and no idea what to do with them.

I also learnt two things about encryption, one is a really cool comic about the AES algorithm, and the other is that GCHQ/NSA have subverted technical standards on the internet so that the encryption is easier to break.

Most first world countries have incredibly biased educational systems, it's the same here in the UK, most of our murky past gets kind of covered up. Of course, we justify it by telling ourselves that America's much worse.

What did I learn recently? I learnt how to fix a PS2 disc read error, and that I don't have the right screwdriver to open up my PS2. These two events might be linked.

I learned to set up an HDMI connection between my LED and my PS3.
I learned that HDMI ports are universal and you can get the cables dirt cheap.
I learned that the PSN is down for maintenance a lot.
I learned PS3's don't get overheated.

I learned that Mesoamerican cities had no roads. They had no need for roads because they didn't use wheeled carts. They didn't have wheeled carts because they had nothing to pull them, because the only animals they had domesticated were dogs and turkeys, both of which were used for food, albeit rarely.

Oie Justes:
I learned that Mesoamerican cities had no roads. They had no need for roads because they didn't use wheeled carts. They didn't have wheeled carts because they had nothing to pull them, because the only animals they had domesticated were dogs and turkeys, both of which were used for food, albeit rarely.

Yes they did. Mesoamericans had a large road network and even regular messenger posts stationed along them for communication.

What they lacked were sealed or paved roads, because as you rightly note; they had no draft animals.

R Man:

Oie Justes:

Yes they did. Mesoamericans had a large road network and even regular messenger posts stationed along them for communication.

What they lacked were sealed or paved roads, because as you rightly note; they had no draft animals.

I mean within the cities themselves. 'Streets' would probably have been a better choice of word.

Oie Justes:

R Man:

Oie Justes:

I mean within the cities themselves. 'Streets' would probably have been a better choice of word.

But they did have streets in cities. They even employed people as street sweepers specifically to keep their streets clean and functional. If they didn't how would they walk through their cities?

I have learned that the human body does not like to go long periods of time without sleeeeeeee

I learned that fist can be a verb!

*EDIT* Crap, I forgot to add the hotlink to what I was referencing. Don't worry, it's pretty SFW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN6hSy1fh0Y

TIL how to terminate a CAT5 cable. Spoiler: It's damn tedious.

I learned that if your dog yawns after you yawn, it means you've got a good bond with each other. Thanks NatGeoWILD.

Today I learned that Walmart no longer requires a person to fill out their own check. You just hand them the check and they stick it in a printer that does all of the work.

This stupid detail has been brought to you by my current lack of a functioning debit card. >.<

R Man:

Oie Justes:

R Man:

But they did have streets in cities. They even employed people as street sweepers specifically to keep their streets clean and functional. If they didn't how would they walk through their cities?

Ugh, fine, you win the semantics war. You yourself said that they didn't have paved roads, so you clearly get what I meant. I concede that they didn't hover from place to place.

Willinium:
Hello good people today I want to share something with you. after thirteen years of schooling in the US I have just learned that Mexico is not just Mexico, but is in fact 38 states united in the United Mexican States. *Clears Throat* My educational system is goddamn horrendous!!!! I mean good lord this is the second largest nation bordering us and I am just now learning this from my own research what the hell!! We should have learned this in the 3rd grade at the latest!

I cant help but relize why America is looked down upon now *sigh* how would we be able to fix this ?

Thank you for letting me rant. If you've learned anything recently feel free to share.:)

But our federetion is quite different form the one you've got up there. Our states are a lot more dependant on teh federal government and the way they behave is more similar to the French republic than a confederation, so no real shame in that.

TOday? I've learnt the interesting way that networks explain how a Bolivian tribe went to war in a quite odd manner.

I learned that Mexico actually is 38 different states.
Seriously though, OP, it's not all too bad. In school during geography I only learned about Europe(I'm from Sweden). Hardly know shit about Asia, the Americas or Africa. I know the countries/states and can place a few on the map, but I can't recite random information about any given one. Pretty sure it's like that all over the world. The schools focus on what they consider is important to you.
You'd think Mexico, at least, was important to USA though. :P

On related America news; I also learned today Obama came to Sweden to meet with the Nordic countries prime ministers and presidents. Got no clue why.

Pre-post edit: Googled the reasons and apparently he made a stop on his way to Russia, but he also made a bilateral deal or something here. If Wikipedia is correct it means our government made a deal with the USA? Do not want...

Today I learned that I had 47 counts of malware on my PC. I also learned that Malwarebytes is an excellent antivirus program. In Malwarebytes we trust!

... um....

**thinks**

Oh, I know! Today, I learned that there's a video game being kickstarted about a belly-dancing female half-genie who platforms because that's the kind of game it is.

It's only been today for an hour and a half. Give me a break. ^^;;

Also, technically I learned the number of states in Mexico (I knew they had them before, but not the number) but I can't remember that number now, so clearly I didn't learn it very well. **sigh**

I learned that if you type Pandora as the seed in the new Minecraft Snapshot with super terrain generation on, you get Avatar Pandora like

I learned today that getting self adhesive vinyl stuck to your eyeball is very very very bad on the scale of things to stick SAV to.

Please, everyone learn from my mistake. If you have been handling small pieces of self adhesive vinyl, please make sure there are no scraps on your fingers before you rub your eyes.

How to access students' prior knowledge.

Oie Justes:

R Man:

Oie Justes:

Ugh, fine, you win the semantics war. You yourself said that they didn't have paved roads, so you clearly get what I meant. I concede that they didn't hover from place to place.

To be fair Oie Justes, you were pretty unclear with what you were trying to get across. If you meant paved roads you neglected to say it. You tried to clarify your point with the use of the word 'street' but 'street' doesn't imply paving. My point is, it's not a sematics war if you misunderstand or invent your own meaning for a word.

TIL that if you go to a public park and fly RC airplanes and helicopters with your 6 year old people call the police because they think you are launching drones.... Yes I was questioned for about 5 min and had our RC planes and helicopters searched over because someone thought they were spy drones. The ones we were flying are the kind you buy at Toys'r'us and Target not the big professional models. Explaining to my son why they wanted to look at his toys was fun.

i learnt that almost everyone I know thinks I should break up with my BF

Today, I learned...huh. Absolutely nothing yet, I don't think. I'll have to come back and edit this post once I've read the newspaper on my lunch break!

I woke up about ten minutes ago, and I've already learned that "SameLove" gets worse with every listen.

I learned that Paraguay had a war with some other South American states and their population (not just their army) went down by more than half. As in, half the people in Paraguay died. Messed up stuff.

Willinium:

MR. WEINGLASS: Between the date of your birth, November 30, 1936, and May 1, 1960, what if anything occurred in your life?

THE WITNESS: Nothing. I believe it is called an American education.

I didn't learn this today, it was a couple of weeks ago. But it was such a major learning experience I felt I should share it.

The lesson is this, if one finds oneself traveling in an area of tropical climate, and your hotel room has no screens on its bathroom windows, make sure you close them immediately after using them to vent shower steam even if you happen to be on the fifth floor. Otherwise you might have the wonderful experience of turning around mid-shower and find you are being spied upon by a plate sized hairy eight-legged monstrosity.

And if anyone here chooses to ignore this advice, and finds themselves in a similar situation, might I suggest they take a different course of action than I did. Which was to run naked and dripping out of the bathroom screaming like a little girl into the adjacent room which contained both my girlfriend and her mother.

TIL that someone on this thread didn't previously know that HDMI ports are universal and that the cables are cheap.

Sometimes, I just don't even.

Griffolion:
TIL that someone on this thread didn't previously know that HDMI ports are universal and that the cables are cheap.

Sometimes, I just don't even.

Hey, don't judge. When I picked up my new (built) computer after it was built I couldn't find my HDMI ports on the back of my computer. looked everywhere, and then took it back to the store (literal other side of the city) the next day to ask what the deal was... the guy grabbed a pair of pliers and yanked on some black plastic (albeit it was pretty stuck), and pulled it off to reveal my ports. Wasted a couple hours of my day and about $10 in gas.

Today I learned... not much yet. Just more affirmation that people are stupid. I'm covering Interlibrary Loans for a coworker on vacation, so I get this email (paraphrased):

"Hi, I'm looking for this article (title, authors and date included) from 1995. 3rd edition. Find it for me."

... Nice. No mention of where they found the reference for it, so I get to spend my morning researching publications on Restoration and Management of Lakes and Reservoirs. ... ... ... I don't get paid enough.

So I guess I'll learn about that today.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked