78.8% (156)
78.8% (156)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would You Rather?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Would you rather:

A: Be mortal and not feel pain.
B: Be immortal and feel pain.

So Escapists what's it to be; a Painless Mortality or a Painful Immortality.

Clarification: if I'm immortal, and feel pain, is my body still going to heal from wounds, or will I end up crippled and feeling the injuries every day for eternity?

Mortal and no pain.
Immortality seems pretty shit tbh.

Though having pain when you're mortal is useful, knows when stuff is dangerous and the such.

I don't know, really. Maybe the immortality if it comes with a healing factor.
But never mind that - I know you made this thread for the sole purpose of making us feel shit about being mortal AND feeling pain. Shame on you.

I'm thinking this would be a kind of 'elven' immortality, as in, I won't die from old age but I can die from physical injury or disease. If not then both options are curses as if you can't feel pain as a mortal you are likely to harm yourself accidently and thus you are in greater danger of death, and if you're both invulnerable and immortal then you're going to live forever which would eventually mean seeing everyone you love die around you, and you would live to see the end of the world. The emotional pain alone would be enough to drive you mad.

I was going to vote mortal and no pain. But something dawned on me. If I couldn't feel pain, then I wouldn't be able to act out my wild sex fantasies. Properly, at least. Hmm. I guess immortality it is.

I'm guessing that if I was mortal and couldn't feel pain, then I'd probably die pretty soon due to not realising I'm doing something stupid. So I'd go with immortal and pain, hopefully that means I don't age and can die of unnatural causes.

Being immortal and being able to feel pain.

Because not being able to feel pain is actually quite horrible.

Immortal and feel pain.
Though some clarification on what kinda immortality we got would be kinda nice. Would it be never age and all woulds heal dealio or you age slowly and woulds heal, do you heal from every would? would being cut into pieces mean you'll be unconscious until you're put together again or do you just regrow starting from somewhere?

Those kinda questions need answers damnit!.

I wouldn't want either, and that should really be a selectable choice.

Phrozenflame500's link pretty accurately shows why a life without pain is a bad thing. Meanwhile, if you're immortal, congratulations! You get to watch all your family, friends, and other loved ones die. You also get to watch as the world slowly changes around you to a place that is alien and terrifying. What fun!

Yeah, I'd want neither.

Phrozenflame500:

Really this. I'd rather be mortal and feel pain than mortal and feel none. Feeling less pain would be nice. Feeling none at all would be dangerous.

So write me up for one of those immortality deals, thanks.

You mean like psychical pain right? Like if I hit my thumb with a hammer for example?

I would pick B: Feel pain and be an immortal. After all I already feel pain.

Although the other choice is a VERY close second. I say that because I fear suffering more than I do dying. The way I always pictured being immortal I figured I would feel pain anyway.

ComandaKool:
Would you rather:

A: Be mortal and not feel pain.
B: Be immortal and feel pain.

So Escapists what's it to be; a Painless Mortality or a Painful Immortality.

You do know that Option A does exist and it is a serious disease. Pain is there for a reason. It tells us when we hurt us, without it living is way more complicated, since you really have to be super carefull. You could get a serious inner injury, would just not notice it and die from it.
So Yeah, i choose B.

Why is this even a poll? The link above makes it quite clear that not feeling pain sucks ass, so why would anyone pick that? Although,

Keoul:

Though some clarification on what kinda immortality we got would be kinda nice. Would it be never age and all woulds heal dealio or you age slowly and woulds heal, do you heal from every would? would being cut into pieces mean you'll be unconscious until you're put together again or do you just regrow starting from somewhere?

Those kinda questions need answers damnit!.

Agreed. Is it elven immortality or Wolverine immortality? Because if the latter, I'd probably rather stay a weak sack of flesh instead.

I'm not sure I want either.
The thing about immortality is it would kinda suck when the sun grows so big and hot that it literally boils away all water on the planet earth.

You have to plan ahead.

I'mma go with immortality unless I cannot die under any circumstances.

Sure, the first few million years might be interesting, but once the Earth dies, spending a few billion years trapped in the sun, followed by an eternity of near absolute zero darkness wouldn't be fun, especially if I'm suffocating the entire time. Throw in FTL flight and time travel and I might reconsider.

I don't know why the OP asked this but, in my opinion, a more interesting question would be immortal with much emotional pain or mortal with a life full of happiness.

Immortality sucks. Imagine living in a world where everything is dead except for you. The sun has disappeared, humans are gone, you are just floating around in space forever.

Not feeling pain is bad, but something I would prefer over the crappy situation of being immortal.

Count me in with those asking for clarification on the immortality bit.

Are we talking Complete Immortality (effectively ageless and incapable of being killed ever), Retroactive Immortality (Dying's possible, but you 'get better' through reincarnation, resurrection or godlike regeneration, meaning you don't stay dead), Simply being immune to the ravages of time (ala Tolkien's elves. They can be killed, but they won't die of natural causes), being able to upload your brain into a new body, being incapable of death but still being stuck with any damage dealt to your body (think undead), Eternal Life but without Eternal Youth...? What are we talking about here? Are we talking about something that will definitively survive past the heat death of the universe, something we could end whenever we wanted or something that's far more limited? Without this knowledge (and probably with it), neither option is terribly appealing and both are very likely to be downright hellish.

You need pain to learn, understand and all the rest.

Also, if you could not feel pain, and yet were mortal, you would not be mortal for very long. There are medical conditions that stop people from feeling pain, this is usually followed by bits of said human falling off due to cuts and infections they simply had not noticed.

Immortality, even painful immortality, would be beautiful. An unlimited time to read, learn, understand. As long as it was immortality without senility. Cause being immortal and senile would be SHIT. Think of all the places you could go as an immortal, all the things you could see, all the wisdom you could impart. You could set about reading all the great works of literature, study however many subjects you wish, become an expert in whatever fields you want.

*cough*

That was not meant to sound incredibly arrogant and pretentious, I just really value intelligence and knowledge over just about everything else. If I had the time, and the money, I would be a student for the rest of my gorram life.

Something people on the internet really need to start realizing is. Immortality is not invincibility.

Immortal /w pain.

You can do far more damage to yourself if you can't feel pain. I've seen kids that can't feel pain practically claw their own eyes out.

Does the "mortal without pain" option basically mean I can only die of old age and until then cannot be injured? Because not feeling pain is a horrible thing. Pain is there for a reason, it's how the body tells you something's very wrong.

imahobbit4062:
Something people on the internet really need to start realizing is. Immortality is not invincibility.

The basis of immortality is that you are unable to die. While being hurt is still possible, the suggestion is you will heal from it at some point. Think Tuck Everlasting.

Phrozenflame500:

Not feeling pain is really dangerous and might kill you. The question is if it's worse to die from pains you can't feel or to live through pains that would kill you, pain so extreme you want to die.

Honestly, immortality is among the most horrible things I can imagine even without the pain.

Immortal with pain. Pain is a survival mechanism and a very useful one at that...though I guess it would become redundant if I had immortality.

LetalisK:
Immortal with pain. Pain is a survival mechanism and a very useful one at that...though I guess it would become redundant if I had immortality.

Immortality doesn't prevent your body from being damaged, though. You could burn some of your skin with heat without knowing because there'd be no pain.

So, essentially the choices are:

A) Leprosy
B) Immortality

Yeah, I'm gonna go with A...no, wait, hang on, B! B, b I meant B!

Mr. Happy Face:
I wouldn't want either, and that should really be a selectable choice.

That's not the point of the "would you rather" game. It presents two (often horrible) alternatives and you have to pick one, and preferably explain your reasons for it. Or you can always choose not to play.

Well considering you said just immortality, not invariability, I'm going to assume it's the eleven kind. IE, you can die just not of old age or anything. Witch yeah cool that works for me.

Yopaz:
Immortality sucks. Imagine living in a world where everything is dead except for you. The sun has disappeared, humans are gone, you are just floating around in space forever.

Not feeling pain is bad, but something I would prefer over the crappy situation of being immortal.

Ah, don't worry, you'd probably find yourself buried alive forever or drifting alone in space forever long before humanity died out.

thaluikhain:

Yopaz:

Ah, don't worry, you'd probably find yourself buried alive forever or drifting alone in space forever long before humanity died out.

Maybe. Still even without pain that sounds like hell. Immortality may sound good on paper, but it's really quite horrible when you consider it.

Yopaz:

thaluikhain:

Yopaz:

Maybe. Still even without pain that sounds like hell. Immortality may sound good on paper, but it's really quite horrible when you consider it.

Well, you'd want to have a bunch of other things as well as immortality.

Then again, one wonders how long it'd take the human mind to fall apart under the weight of too much experience, even if there wasn't physical degradation.

thaluikhain:

Yopaz:

thaluikhain:

Well, you'd want to have a bunch of other things as well as immortality.

Then again, one wonders how long it'd take the human mind to fall apart under the weight of too much experience, even if there wasn't physical degradation.

That might just be my main concern. I doubt it would take more than a few hundred for our memories to become cluttered making it impossible to sort things out. I think it would be kinda like getting Alzheimer's, which again is something I would die to avoid.

Yopaz:
That might just be my main concern. I doubt it would take more than a few hundred for our memories to become cluttered making it impossible to sort things out. I think it would be kinda like getting Alzheimer's, which again is something I would die to avoid.

Well, according to some fiction, if you live for a few centuries, you go to high school and fall in love with a teenager.

Though I remember a better piece in 2nd ed 40k by Bill King, in which a Chaos Marine every now and then selects recent memories to preserve by magic/ritual and the rest have to be discarded. And he's still suffered severe mental problems that he's mostly recovered from now.

thaluikhain:

Yopaz:

Well, according to some fiction, if you live for a few centuries, you go to high school and fall in love with a teenager.

Though I remember a better piece in 2nd ed 40k by Bill King, in which a Chaos Marine every now and then selects recent memories to preserve by magic/ritual and the rest have to be discarded. And he's still suffered severe mental problems that he's mostly recovered from now.

I don't like the idea of immortality turning me to a paedophile... mortality sounds more like my cup of tea.

Yopaz:
I don't like the idea of immortality turning me to a paedophile... mortality sounds more like my cup of tea.

Better not read...almost any paranormal romance it seems.

Actually, that's another point. Who is to say that in 100 years the age of consent won't be 14 or something, and society expects you to be a paedophile?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked