Things that got over hyped but ended up a disappointment.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hello Escapist

Now firstly I am not talking about GTA 5 but I am talking about other things in life. TV shows, movies, a device, a snack/treat, some things that were hyped up so much as if they were the be all and end all of that genre.

So what are things that you thought were over hyped but was just a big disappointment or didn't live up to what was expected.

The Star Wars Prequels.

New Doctor Who (as a whole, there've been some good bits though).

The Horus Heresy series from Black Library.

thaluikhain:
The Star Wars Prequels.

New Doctor Who (as a whole, there've been some good bits though).

I can't handle the prequels cause they are just terrible and are you missing David Tennant too? Its okay you can admit it. It broke my heart when he left.

ParsonOSX:
I can't handle the prequels cause they are just terrible and are you missing David Tennant too? Its okay you can admit it. It broke my heart when he left.

Well...I wasn't fussed on him, TBH. I thought he was the only one that seemed like "The Doctor", but then he got stuck with some rubbish writing.

Apart from Billie Piper, I can't fault anyone's acting, but the writing has been consistently pretty bad.

thaluikhain:

ParsonOSX:

Well...I wasn't fussed on him, TBH. I thought he was the only one that seemed like "The Doctor", but then he got stuck with some rubbish writing.

Apart from Billie Piper, I can't fault anyone's acting, but the writing has been consistently pretty bad.

I can't disagree with you there.

The new Futurama episodes, for while they still have Futurama's charm they mostly just fell flat because, like The Simpsons, it's not very funny when it satires the quirks of today.

And Halo 3, oh god what a massive disappointment that was! Halo 2 crippled itself with a cliffhanger so Halo 3 could send it off with a blast. What we got was a terribly short campaign that had good plot moments which were ruined by the lack of pacing, caused by the shortness. Multiplayer was pretty sweet though, and I honestly prefer the graphics of Halo 3/ODST to Reach, 4 and so on.

Damn, ninja'd about star wars prequels! Some of the New 52 really let me down, especially the Detective Comics, it just lacked something. I really enjoyed the Suicide Squad and Batgirl is amazing personally, however I feel that Catwoman feels like she's been chop shopped, but it could just be a matter of personal taste or it could be a case of too many spoons in the gumbo.

PERSONAL ESPRESSO MACHINES! Dammit, they look all lovely and shiny and Italian but unless you keep the bloody thing on all the time, because of course electricity is a free commodity, then you have to wait for so long for it to heat up. Not only that, it's noisy as hell and the personal one's steamer is far to short to get any good frothing done, so no cappucinos, just burnt milk caking to the bottom of its pot.

shhh shhh, its okay now

That Dark Knight Rises movie. That was a disappointment.

Also Insidious, that movie was a complete joke after you got half way through the movie.

mister T. cereal, Star Trek into darkness, Man of Steel

I'd just like to say every thing ever. It seems like everything that gets hyped, there's always a large group of people going "I told you. It wasn't that great." and blah blah blah, it sucks, blah. Half my friends list on Facebook have been doing this with GTAV for the last two days. Most of them never even played it. Of course, I only know hype from games. I'm not much of a movie person. Maybe PC hardware? I remember when the newer AMD FX series was pretty hyped, and I got one and it was just...okay I guess. Nothing that higher end Intels couldn't beat.

thaluikhain:

Really? I'm actually curious how old you are and how long you've been into 40k, personally I got into the hobby in my early teens, and I think the first novel came out that same year. I'll admit they are a mixed bag, some absolute stinkers, a couple gems mostly mediocre. But I can see how much of a letdown they would be if you had spent years in the hobby, and heard that the most legendary event in the lore was getting a book release.

Back on topic. Emmmmm, A Machine for Pigs wasn't really hyped, but still a terrible let down.

ParsonOSX:
Hello Escapist

Now firstly I am not talking about GTA 5 but I am talking about other things in life. TV shows, movies, a device, a snack/treat, some things that were hyped up so much as if they were the be all and end all of that genre.

So what are things that you thought were over hyped but was just a big disappointment or didn't live up to what was expected.

I'd have to say my last marriage.

Rome II total war. I was so looking forward to that game comming out and playing it for a week without any breaks. Turned out it was a buggy release simmilar to Empire total war back in the day.

I know they'll patch it up and it'll still be an awesome game. Just dissapointed I haven't managed to properly play it yet with all the bugs and all.

But yea... Hype is never good. I mean in this case it kinda was to be expected since every game that company has released as of late has always launched in a bad state and needed a few months of fixing before the games were great. Generally, the more hyped a game, movie, book or whatever, the more outraged the community will be when it turns out to be bad.

I would even go as far as say the community will be outraged regardless. Even if the item in question was super awesome, the few people that then end up not liking it will bark all the louder over it.

For me the last two were Star Trek: Into Darkness and World War Z. The same happens for Alone in the Dark aswell.

Mass Effect 3 for obvious reasons. So many people were saying "BEST STORY OF ALL TIME, MADE ME CRY AND FEEL OMGZZZZZZZZZZZZZ". But when I actually played it I found a whole lot of sections I liked quite a bit, but also quite a few I despised. There were just too many faults in both the story and gameplay, it in no way deserved a perfect 10 from ANYONE save for hype. This is coming from someone that absolutely loved Skyrim (in fact, one of my favorite games) but thought there were too many faults to give it a 10.

Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Man, I looked forward to that movie so much...

The Old Republic.

Man I was hyped, I brought the 200 LCE and everything. 6 months later I was so sick so of it.

And the only thing that kept me playing even that long was that I was actually playing a real Sith Lord through a real Sith story (because that's awesome and a hope we get some Sith games in the future).

But in the end the actually gameplay, that same old 10 year+ recycled MMO combat system ... it kill the game.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I think the main reason for that is that with all of the delays we got to that game, I was expecting some kind of epitome of fighting game goodness. After all, we wouldn't get so many delays unless Sakurai was working extra hard to deliver the best game he could possibly make, right?

The end result wasn't a bad game by a longshot mind you, just not as good as I was expecting. So while I'm still looking forward to the next Smash Bros, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

The threes came in threes

Wing Commander 3, Star Control 3, Master of Orion 3

Note that I like space.

I was grossly overhyped for spore, because I expected a space exploration\builder game that never really took shape.

Scarim Coral:
World War Z

Book or movie?

Because no one really liked the movie (me included) >.>

Pacific Rim.

Hyped to the heavens (at least in the circles I frequent), turned out to be just okay.

I'm gonna go a bit off the wall here and go with a food.

Nutella.

First time I heard about it was through someone at school, and they were infatuated with the stuff. Then apparently the internet found out about it, because for a while it was apparently a mortal sin to go on the internet and say that you didn't like it; judging from the amount of grief those that did so got.

Finally I tried it myself. And while it was alright, it was not "like angels dancing on my taste buds" as one person I know did in fact put it. Given the option of it or regular peanut butter, I'd pick peanut butter 9 times out of 10.

Full Metal Alchemist.

Everyone told me it was their favourite anime of all time forever and it was going to blow my ass out of my mouth with how amazing it is. I had its praises sung for years and years. EVERY time I talked about anime with my friends it was "Oh man, did you watch FMA yet? No? OH YOU HAVE TO IT'S SO GOOD."

When I finally watched it I got a slightly above average shonen anime. I kept watching wondering when it was going to get good. What crazy twist it was going to throw to earn all these praises. Then I watched the final episode, it ended, and I stopped trusting what people tell me.

thiosk:
The threes came in threes

Wing Commander 3, Star Control 3, Master of Orion 3

Note that I like space.

I was grossly overhyped for spore, because I expected a space exploration\builder game that never really took shape.

dont you be dissing wing commander 3 that was awesome. and master of orion 3 was never made, nope doesnt exist, was NEVER MADE I TELL YOU !!! say it with me.. i know people who purchased every bargain bin copy of MOO3 just to destroy it to save people from it

Duke Nukem Forever.

End Thread. ;)

I never actually played it, but due to the LOOOOOOONG wait for its release, so much so that it was considered vaporware for quite a while, a lot of people were expecting an amazing experience. Instead they got...well...DNF. Now you can find new copies in stores for about $6.

Weaver:
Full Metal Alchemist.

Everyone told me it was their favourite anime of all time forever and it was going to blow my ass out of my mouth with how amazing it is. I had its praises sung for years and years. EVERY time I talked about anime with my friends it was "Oh man, did you watch FMA yet? No? OH YOU HAVE TO IT'S SO GOOD."

When I finally watched it I got a slightly above average shonen anime. I kept watching wondering when it was going to get good. What crazy twist it was going to throw to earn all these praises. Then I watched the final episode, it ended, and I stopped trusting what people tell me.

Which version did you watch? Brotherhood or the Original? They are completely different in how the mid to end go about.

OT: Brink. I was really looking forward to that game... it sucked. So much.

Ponyholder:

Weaver:
Full Metal Alchemist.

Which version did you watch? Brotherhood or the Original? They are completely different in how the mid to end go about.

I've seen them both. I watched the original first and it's what I'm talking about in the above post; Brotherhood did not exist when I first watched FMA.

I preferred Brotherhood.

Ponyholder:

Weaver:
Full Metal Alchemist.

Yeah.... Brink was rather disappointing. While I absolutely loved the customization, parkour, and potential, everything else was just.... "eh". What really pissed me off was how little there was to actually do. They could have at the very LEAST have done an actual story and multiplayer mode but instead they Frankenstein stitched them together to give people even less content. It's funny, because it sounds like that's what developers are doing with Titanfall and a few people are actually praising it....

COMaestro:
Duke Nukem Forever.

End Thread. ;)

I never actually played it, but due to the LOOOOOOONG wait for its release, so much so that it was considered vaporware for quite a while, a lot of people were expecting an amazing experience. Instead they got...well...DNF. Now you can find new copies in stores for about $6.

It was actually fun IMO.

I feel like lots of the people who hate on it actually never played it, and were just echoing opinions of others.

Weaver:

Ponyholder:

Weaver:
Full Metal Alchemist.

I've seen them both. I watched the original first and it's what I'm talking about in the above post; Brotherhood did not exist when I first watched FMA.

I preferred Brotherhood.

If you read Manga, I suggest you read her new work: Silver Spoon. I found it to be a rather entertaining and educational look into farming life.

Spartacus, Prometheus, Star Wars Prequels I & II, The Dark Knight Rises, The Happening, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, the Wii, Jagged Alliance 3.

Prometheus was a yawn fest, it wasn't scary or interesting but had decent special effects.

The Dark Knight Rises was by far the worst movie in the series and had way too much Bruce Wayne in it and not nearly enough Batman. Half of the movie I couldn't understand what Bane was saying and the reason behind Bane and his master destroying Gotham made absolutely no sense at all.

I must have seen "The Happening" advertised over a million times in a single month and because of that I never went to see it. I eventually borrowed it off someone who got it in a value bin and it wasn't really worth the time I spent watching it except to make fun of the story.

I already wrote a long tirade about why I hated Max Payne 3 so I'll give a brief overview:

The story sucks, Max Payne is a whiny bitch who has no reason to whine and the developers got rid of the best cut-scenes in the business (the style from the first 2) and added some goofy shit in instead.

ME3 + DA2 - Shitty story, recycled areas and boring games.

Jagged Alliance 3 looked really good and for a while it seemed like it would be the best one yet in the series. Then some genius got rid of the turn-based strategy element the rest of the series had that I absolutely loved to play and simplified a lot of things in the game. After playing a demo of the game I decided it sucked.

Assassin's Creed Revelations/3 for me.

Those were the games that kickstarted my hatred of cinematic trailers.

Judge Dredd (The new one)
I didn't see this when it was out in the theater, but I've heard many people sing its praises from the heavens and back again. Recently, I got a chance to watch it with my mother and, needless to say, I was not impressed. Over all, the movie was boring and had a few points in it that made little sense and bugged me a bit. Personally, I felt like it wasn't worth the hype that I've seen for it. My mother didn't enjoy it either and she loves more actiony movies that I do.

i strictly adhere to the "don't give a fuck and don't read about things pre-release" rule, if something looks interesting from early footage i will usually make a note and ignore any information that is not related to release dates. it helps avoid hype. i also rarely watch trailers. i got burned pretty early when i thought "how can you fuck a sequel to deus ex?"

sir neillios:

thaluikhain:

Really? I'm actually curious how old you are and how long you've been into 40k, personally I got into the hobby in my early teens, and I think the first novel came out that same year. I'll admit they are a mixed bag, some absolute stinkers, a couple gems mostly mediocre. But I can see how much of a letdown they would be if you had spent years in the hobby, and heard that the most legendary event in the lore was getting a book release.

Yeah, I've been into 40k for maybe 10 years before they came out. They've had some really good tangential stuff about the Heresy in the past.

IMHO, the BL was going downhill already, and there seemed to be a lack of effort on some people's parts with the HH series, and they got really, really dragged out. Have they released a book about the Ultimate Gate yet? Cause that's what people wanted when the thing was first mentioned.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked