Don't Recommend Me an Anime

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
On Another. Another, unlike Final Destination, has an undeniably incredibly well done atmosphere, where Final Destination is just a terrible horror movie with very predictable and gory deaths. Of course, Another has one of the shittiest endings after so much build up I've ever seen, nailing it down to "She let dozens kill each other because she didn't want to make him depressed even tho she'd have to eventually anywho, and he's probably already depressed from EVERYONE FUCKING TRYING TO KILL HIM"

Yeah... Despite the overall setup of Another being the main factor of me buying the series on DVD, the ending could have been done differently or, at least, less "shitty" and, to me, less "anti-climatic"... Then again, I feel like changing the ending would have created a "Final Destination"-type ending, which would have "killed" the whole series for me...

GabeZhul:

Fat_Hippo:

GabeZhul:

Fate/stay Night: Read the visual novel instead.

It's getting a remake by the guys who did Fate/Zero. Shirou even looks a bit less like a shithead. Could be really good. And while I enjoyed the visual novel, it is reaaaaally goddamn long, I have yet to get very far into the second route. I know it's supposed to get better (though I enjoyed Fate, for what it's worth) but it is still really a lot of the same goddamn dinner scenes.

Yeah, the Food Discussions (this is actually a thing, we even have a tag for it over at VNDB) are one of the two major flaws of F/SN (three, if you count Shirou starting out pretty unlikeable at the start because of character-development purposes), the other being the H-scenes, which were not only silly but they were also completely botched by the forced reasoning behind them (mana-transfer is still a bit of a meme among the TM fan circles for a reason, alongside of DOLPHINS! :P).

And yes, even though the new anime will probably be better than the original (which is not hard at all), reading the actual visual novel is still better because I say so. :P

While I may want to watch animes of certain visual novels (why you no anime Princess Waltz!?!), I have yet to see an anime that is superior to its VN counterpart. Even excludin the strange problem I have where I absolutely detest the primary love interest (fuckin Clannad man. Tomoyo's chapter was my shit) in nearly every VN, they're usually just not paced very well compared to the VN.

shintakie10:

GabeZhul:

Fat_Hippo:

It's getting a remake by the guys who did Fate/Zero. Shirou even looks a bit less like a shithead. Could be really good. And while I enjoyed the visual novel, it is reaaaaally goddamn long, I have yet to get very far into the second route. I know it's supposed to get better (though I enjoyed Fate, for what it's worth) but it is still really a lot of the same goddamn dinner scenes.

Yeah, the Food Discussions (this is actually a thing, we even have a tag for it over at VNDB) are one of the two major flaws of F/SN (three, if you count Shirou starting out pretty unlikeable at the start because of character-development purposes), the other being the H-scenes, which were not only silly but they were also completely botched by the forced reasoning behind them (mana-transfer is still a bit of a meme among the TM fan circles for a reason, alongside of DOLPHINS! :P).

And yes, even though the new anime will probably be better than the original (which is not hard at all), reading the actual visual novel is still better because I say so. :P

While I may want to watch animes of certain visual novels (why you no anime Princess Waltz!?!), I have yet to see an anime that is superior to its VN counterpart. Even excludin the strange problem I have where I absolutely detest the primary love interest (fuckin Clannad man. Tomoyo's chapter was my shit) in nearly every VN, they're usually just not paced very well compared to the VN.

i agree with the waltz that would be an awesome one they would be able to expand the story a lot

Do not watch the Qwaser of stigmata. I originally started watching because I thought the male lead had an interesting look. Spoiler(I mean it's a first episode spoiler) - The Qwasers get their powers by drinking breast milk. Not the kind of thing you should just stumble into...

Well, I think there's a difference between an anime being genuinely bad or just not your cup of tea. For example I loved Attack on Titan as it's one of the few modern animes that reminded me why I like anime in the first place. Cool story, creative set-up, slightly melodramatic and archetypical characters, awesome action scenes. I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Now I can see reasons why some won't like it, but calling this an example of a bad anime is a bit ridiculous. For example I hate(well that's maybe slightly exaggerated) Evangelion as I think its pretentious and overindulgent up to 11 but I can see why this anime speaks to certain people with eg. anxiety issues. I don't like it but its not poorly made, there's a difference.

Anyways the most recent anime that disappointed me was Sword Art Online. Disappointed b/c there were a lot of things I liked about the anime in the initial episodes, such as the premise of the story and the intriguing plot elements about what it meant living in a world governed by the rules of an MMO with people trying to exploit this situation. However by ep. 7 there was way too much harem and moe in it for my taste, which really ruined the show for me.

Epicspoon:
School Days. Yeah...... don't. Just don't.

Well no, actually you kind of HAVE to watch that just to understand that a show could be THAT bad. I mean, it is kind of like Napoleon Dynamite being course viewing in film studies classes nowadays, because it is so bad that it is good. Except that School Days must be seen simply to understand that it is possible to harbor so much hate and vitriol towards a show that even the ending (as redeeming as it was) did not actually accomplish its goal, and forced one to retain their hate.

Also... Nice Boat.

stroopwafel:

Anyways the most recent anime that disappointed me was Sword Art Online. Disappointed b/c there were a lot of things I liked about the anime in the initial episodes, such as the premise of the story and the intriguing plot elements about what it meant living in a world governed by the rules of an MMO with people trying to exploit this situation. However by ep. 7 there was way too much harem and moe in it for my taste, which really ruined the show for me.

If SAO disappointed you, you should check out Log Horizon. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Kachal:
Wow, so many people butt-hurt about Eva.
TBH, I love it.

Please never use the word "butt-hurt" again.

Not only does it not mean what you think it does (which appears to be "Not liking a show I like") it makes you look like a 12-year-old even when used in proper context.

TimeLord:

perfectimo:
I wouldn't recommend Cardcaptor unless you watched it growing up, but man is it awesome.

Loved Cardcaptor when I was younger. I haven't watched it in a while but I can imagine it would be through rose tinted glasses if I did now.

I just watched it somewhat recently for the first time. No nostalgia whatsoever. It was fairly enjoyable.

There is however another series that must be addressed...

Neverhoodian:
Time to roast a sacred cow here:

Dragon Ball Z. Good Lord, what a boring show.

The plot moves at a glacial pace, with way too much pointless filler between fights. Even the fights themselves are tedious. The combatants spend most of the time floating in place while grimacing and yelling like they're suffering from a chronic case of constipation. What's worse, when one of them starts charging an ultimate-bullshit beam attack, the opponent does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent it, instead opting to stay in place and stand there all idiotic and slack-jawed. Just fly up there and punch him already, dammit!

Go watch Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged instead. It covers the main plot points more succinctly and is way more entertaining to boot.

Indeed.

This is one of the rare instances where the fan made material is funnier, better edited and better written than the professionally produced product.

What always turned me off about shows like DBZ was the ridiculous power creep. It's one of the worst sufferers of what I like to call "Anime Fighting Syndrome," where characters do things to each other that make no sense that they aren't dead. Like, for example, how Freeza manages to take a Spirit Bomb the size of Manhattan to the face and only lose a piece of his tail. It ruins the impact and puts a huge welt in the work's verisimilitude.

I won't recommend Xam'd. It had a interesting plot line some genuine character development but the love triangle it painted was not bad , it just forces you to root for the girl who has very little impact on the plot and development of the mc and the ending just tries to hard to be tragic but if you going to kill someone dont bring them back because fuck logic.

Austin Mcgough:
I'd have to say don;t watch Kill la kill, i mean there's stupid fun, then there's poorly ,paced creepy shit pretending it's stupid fun. ugh i hated it and everyone hates me for it ,3, .

It's not poorly paced? You can call it stupid, poorly written, cliche, full of fan-service, whatever. But to call something like that badly paced is kinda absurd.

FPLOON:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
On Another. Another, unlike Final Destination, has an undeniably incredibly well done atmosphere, where Final Destination is just a terrible horror movie with very predictable and gory deaths. Of course, Another has one of the shittiest endings after so much build up I've ever seen, nailing it down to "She let dozens kill each other because she didn't want to make him depressed even tho she'd have to eventually anywho, and he's probably already depressed from EVERYONE FUCKING TRYING TO KILL HIM"

Yeah... Despite the overall setup of Another being the main factor of me buying the series on DVD, the ending could have been done differently or, at least, less "shitty" and, to me, less "anti-climatic"... Then again, I feel like changing the ending would have created a "Final Destination"-type ending, which would have "killed" the whole series for me...

Spoiler below is of Anothers ending, and I have no idea how to insert text into that box.

Lugbzurg:

TimeLord:

perfectimo:
I wouldn't recommend Cardcaptor unless you watched it growing up, but man is it awesome.

Loved Cardcaptor when I was younger. I haven't watched it in a while but I can imagine it would be through rose tinted glasses if I did now.

I just watched it somewhat recently for the first time. No nostalgia whatsoever. It was fairly enjoyable.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

FPLOON:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Spoiler below is of Anothers ending, and I have no idea how to insert text into that box.

Then, how about if it went like this:

I don't know... Horror is never something I was good at writing for... (even if the pieces to create it were right in front of me...)

Lugbzurg:

TimeLord:

perfectimo:

I really don't see these things as plot-holes. The only thing that bugs me is the guy has the potion in his hand and doesn't drink it, even though he knows death in the game is real. Pretty much that guy commits suicide. He didn't really want to live in the game world, and you see that with a majority of the players.

Regenerating health IS a high level skill. It's not that much of a factor in the later fights where the bosses just start ONE SHOTTING everyone.

The timeline of the last few episodes of season 1 is rather short. After they meet Yui and lose her, they go to the boss fight on 76 and win the game. There is also some indication that there is something like 15 seconds between character death and the electric shock that fries the brain, due to that ressurrection item Kirito gets and gives to his friend (who is at that fight). After the game ends, a few months pass while Kirito and the others do physical recovery before season 2. While Yui was disabled in SAO, Alfheim has the same interface and Yui is able to get installed there because no program deletes her as an anomaly.

I found Sword Art Online to be worth watching and am looking forward to the next season, but not everyone loves anime that is appreciated by a large population. Some hate for hatings sake, and others just really don't like anime. There may be a litmus test for if you really don't like anime. If you say, "I hate Cowboy Bebop", it might be time to just give up watching anime all-together. As for the other highly popular anime that people have hated on in this thread, most are worth watching.

I might hate every child character introduced in One Piece, but the show is worth watching (except for the Davey-back fight).

I might hate all the filler arcs in Bleach and can't watch it anymore because they completely screwed the pacing by alternating seasons of content and filler, but that doesn't make the good episodes bad. I just pretend the series ends when they save Rukia from Soul Society.

As for Naruto, I just stop it at episode 130 or so, when he fights Sasuke. Sometimes I watch the filler episode where Sakura admits she's a worthless burden. That's the only naruto filler worth watching. Naruto filler is bad, naruto content, when it's not constantly flashing back, is usually decent.

Now actual BAD anime.... hmmm...

Violence Jack is pretty BAD. Bloody, offensive and ugly. But then again, there are quite a few very sexually explicit and violent anime out there. If you want to stay away from stuff that will melt your brain, there are several genres of anime you should avoid. Generally, anything with a tentacle monster or, well, ANY type of sexually enhanced monster.

Some people don't like Harem anime. Or reverse Harem. I find that there are too many of these to even mention.

You shouldn't watch anything with giant robots. Or man sized robots. Or planet sized robots.

Don't watch anything with maids. Or androids. Or android maids.

It's gotta be bad if they are fighting with swords. Or guns. And if they are all girls fighting and they have huge boobs despite being japanese, it's crap. Or if they have very small boobs and no personality it's crap.

You know, I think I might actually hate Cowboy bebop... I guess I'm done watching anime forever.

Chrono Crusade:
It starts off kind of good, and then goes all 'grim dark' for no reason and ruins what was otherwise a fine series.

Chaos;Head
It starts out really interesting, but it quickly just goes retarded. Whether it's twists that make no sense/have no impact, ignoring things and changing subject, unrealistic characters, it's just bad. It can't focus on anything, makes up random terms and then keeps repeating them, it's just a mess. Also the OP spoils some things.
I'm about to spoil one of it's legendary twists:
The murderer is the nurse you don't know the name that appeared during one hospital scene. This is treated like a huge twist, when you know nothing about her and don't care. She does appear in the OP though, looking evil.
There is a better twist, but it's spoiled by the op:

FPLOON:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

FPLOON:

Then, how about if it went like this:

I don't know... Horror is never something I was good at writing for... (even if the pieces to create it were right in front of me...)

Except Another is not a horror anime, nor was it ever trying to be, nor does it have horror aspects outside of a few scenes of the final two episodes.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
Another is not a horror anime

Now, that I will kindly disagree with considering the overall atmosphere the series creates for itself... It's a horror anime in the more traditional/metaphorical sense... (except the last few episodes, which are basically more "suspenseful" than "horror"...)

Oh yeah, also school days is boring. Anyway, here are my replies to everyone:

Jasper van Heycop:
Gonna get hated for this but Full Metal Alchemist it is just sooo melodramatic. There's nothing lighthearted about it, so you eventually just get numb to the endless barrage of drama.

The original or Brotherhood?

shintakie10:

Welcome to the NHK -

There's a story in this what I assume was drug induced trip fest, but honestly I have no idea where it was. The first episode was confusin, the main character established himself as an annoyin fuck within the first 3 minutes, and the weird ass imagery was just...well weird as fuck. I couldn't sit through the first episode before I got out while my brain was still intact. Maybe I missed the greatest anime ever because of that, but honestly I'd rather keep my sanity instead.

Give it a couple more episodes, it gets pretty good.

The Inquisitive Mug:
Hellsing

Oh god that was shit. Good opening though.

Little Gray:
I am going to go with Death Note. It starts off just fine but the last half of it felt like filler that was written but a completely different person.

Yeah, but the first half was great.

Meriatressia:
Tengan Toppa Gurrenn Lagann
Grotesquely overated, overhyped, overpromoted crap.
It mocks, mimmicks, and references other, much better anime constantly. But has zero peronsality of it's own.
One of the stupidest animes ever made!
Clannad
Boring, pathetic, trash that goes absolutely nowere.

I don't like you as a person.

^Hellsing Ultimate was awesome. 10 episodes of over-the-top, schizophrenic drama and action. But different strokes. Although it sells excessive blood and gore like a cheap gimmick.

I wouldn't recommend Dragon Ball Z after the Frieza saga. After the Cell Saga if you lower you standards a bit. The more the show progresses, the more obvious the "New bad guy comes in, stronger than last, must train, barely win" formula is. Also, everyone except for Goku and maybe Vegeta ends up sucking. And the pacing. And the filler. Oh god.

I'd recommend Code Geass to someone who's unfamiliar with anime in general, sort of as a gateway. I watched the series and enjoyed it. Then I realized how much plot holes and contrivances moved the plot.

Flutterguy:
Anything based off of a video-game. Unless you are a fan of the series it was based off of. All the ones I put myself through were pretty terrible, but all worth it for me because I get to see more personality of characters I'm invested to going in.

Persona 4 turned out alright for lots of people I know who didn't play the game. Personally, I thought the animation handled some scenes much better.

FPLOON:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Now, that I will kindly disagree with considering the overall atmosphere the series creates for itself... It's a horror anime in the more traditional/metaphorical sense... (except the last few episodes, which are basically more "suspenseful" than "horror"...)

Coakle:

FPLOON:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

I still would not consider (not) recommending it, mind you...

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

And the beginning of Evangelion is fucking awful, if you mean after the first episode or two (which is literally exactly like the later parts which you claim are different) as it's just a generic Mecha anime.

When I refer to uninspired crap I mean a large middle section of the series. The way I see it as different from a generic mecha anime (which admittedly I'm not very knowledgable about having seen only Code Geass and a few others (and we know how Code Geass turns out)) is that Asuka's still a wreck and Rei doesn't have any kind of self-confidence arc or some shit. The characters don't change. And then at the end, instead of requiring the three to reconcile and come together to defeat the big boss, it's just Shinji and he does it in a pretty anticlimactic fashion.

Moderated:
Oh yeah, also school days is boring. Anyway, here are my replies to everyone:

Jasper van Heycop:
Gonna get hated for this but Full Metal Alchemist it is just sooo melodramatic. There's nothing lighthearted about it, so you eventually just get numb to the endless barrage of drama.

The original or Brotherhood?

The original, I was planning on trying Brotherhood someone said it is a lot better

Another derecommendation for Gantz.

Both the manga and anime have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Anyone have any 'starts out funny/fun, but then goes all grimdark/serious for no damn reason'...anime to not recommend me?

FPLOON:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

No, it's a thriller. A horror anime is trying to scare you. At no point is the anime trying to make either a crappy jump scare or (what good horror movies do) a fearful atmosphere.

MeChaNiZ3D:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

And the beginning of Evangelion is fucking awful, if you mean after the first episode or two (which is literally exactly like the later parts which you claim are different) as it's just a generic Mecha anime.

When I refer to uninspired crap I mean a large middle section of the series. The way I see it as different from a generic mecha anime (which admittedly I'm not very knowledgable about having seen only Code Geass and a few others (and we know how Code Geass turns out)) is that Asuka's still a wreck and Rei doesn't have any kind of self-confidence arc or some shit. The characters don't change. And then at the end, instead of requiring the three to reconcile and come together to defeat the big boss, it's just Shinji and he does it in a pretty anticlimactic fashion.

Ah, you see there is that if they banded together to fight a big boss, it would go against the very thing that the anime is: A deconstruction of the mecha genre. If they did that, that'd be reconstructing the genre, because that's a cliche. The point of the anime is to have both a more realistic take on the mecha genre, as well as try and act as prentenious as possible in order to trick otaku's that the anime is jam packed with symbolism when in fact all christian stuff is just "FOREIGN = COOL" (That is literally what the creator was thinking when he wrote it) messed up with the creator who was going through mental problems when he wrote it.

Basically, a huge amount of the stuff in the anime is a anime or manga cliche turned on its head with a bit more realism. It's about a bunch of kids losing their damn minds from being sent into battle to fight world ending monsters. If you expected anything other then a psychological ending, you were expecting a different anime.

Also, if you didn't watch End of Evangelion, you didn't finish the anime.

Jasper van Heycop:

The original, I was planning on trying Brotherhood someone said it is a lot better

Yeah, it is. I loved the original, but after watching brotherhood I can't even watch the original.

TheMigrantSoldier:

I wouldn't recommend Dragon Ball Z after the Frieza saga. After the Cell Saga if you lower you standards a bit. The more the show progresses, the more obvious the "New bad guy comes in, stronger than last, must train, barely win" formula is. Also, everyone except for Goku and maybe Vegeta ends up sucking. And the pacing. And the filler. Oh god.

The entire point of the cell saga was supposed to be for Goku to stay dead and Gohan, who was the strongest at the time of the cell saga, to take over. But people liked goku, so he stayed. But the entire series built up that Gohan was the strongest.

Hrm this is tough, i mean its easy to recommend an Anime to someone, but to recommend, or rather warn people of one is hard, well for me anyhow because i dont actually have a long list of Anime that i loathe, i mean there are some i dont watch for the sole reason that they annoy the crap out of me with nonsensical plots or retarded filler. If i were to take those into account, well the list gets a bit longer i suppose.

Bleach - Filler and Plot. Most of the stuff in the story is barely referenced later on and when it is its done in such a dumb way that you cant help but facepalm at it. Latest development? Ichigo is actually everything, from hero to "villian" in the series in one single person. Yeah..fuck you Kubo.

Tenjou Tenge - Plot. Dear god the plot, im not talking about the Anime, that one was actually good because it focuses solely on the early part of the manga..but dear lord, the amount of flashbacks..like there is several minor ones, 5 big ones which tie into the actual plot and a timeskip out of fucking nowhere and nothing gets explained about why shit just happened.

Naruto - Filler. Enough said. Though the manga at least avoids that for the most part.

Dragonball Z - Pacing. It really is the pacing, there is too much fluff and unnecessary filler, some is funny and relatively good, but other stuff is basicly just there to be padding, and that includes the fights. Freeza blows up Namek, 5 minutes till kaboom, takes 10 episodes minus filler to actually happen.

Dragonball GT - Just no. Trust me, do not watch this, you are missing nothing.

Highschool of the Dead - Its kind of odd how they can take a story this basic and fuck it up, even the sequence of events is all over the place and doesnt match the manga which, if it had gone on longer, would fuck up every bit of consistency of the story later. The manga is pretty good, ignore the fanservice or enjoy it for what it is, but its not that bad actually.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - All of it. At least i wouldnt recommend it to anyone who isnt into Anime or Manga already. If you want to introduce someone to the media, keep them as far away from the mindfuck that is NGE. No, the Rebuild doesnt do anything better, in fact its worse when Movie 3 rolls around and shits all over everything you've been shown and told so far and is in fact worse than the Series or the previous movies due to this. And no matter what you do, do not try to figure this one out while you're watching it, wait a week, then rewatch it and once you've done that you may try to fiddle with the plotthreads, doing otherwise might cause you to rupture a bloodvessel or two.

Gantz - Manga is better, seriously. If you want a proper adaptation, watch the live action movies, at least they have a original ending.

Bokurano - That show can depress the fuck out of you and for added irony, its actually not as dark as the manga its based on. Its a really big hit or miss series honestly, it can be enjoyable but some things, especially some topics and themes are very..adult-oriented.

Well thats off the top of my head, i might add more when i remember them.

A-D.:

Bokurano - That show can depress the fuck out of you and for added irony, its actually not as dark as the manga its based on. Its a really big hit or miss series honestly, it can be enjoyable but some things, especially some topics and themes are very..adult-oriented.

You haven't said any reasons why it was bad.

Naruto/Bleach- they don't know when or how to end these series(anime AND manga). Once I stop reading or watching it was like a spell was broken over me and I never looked back

Freezing- EVERYTHING anime AND manga its just turns me off. I could never tell if the world is in danger because of high school BS

Tenjo Tenge- when it was just a show/manga about fighting it was pretty interesting but it went into the realm of WTF?! and never looked back. The story is so bizarre and groan worthy that I just stop reading/watching.

Sword Art Online- LOVED the first Arc and then the Second Arc changed all that. The characters never felt the same after the first half.

A-D.:
Neon Genesis Evangelion - All of it. At least i wouldnt recommend it to anyone who isnt into Anime or Manga already. If you want to introduce someone to the media, keep them as far away from the mindfuck that is NGE. No, the Rebuild doesnt do anything better, in fact its worse when Movie 3 rolls around and shits all over everything you've been shown and told so far and is in fact worse than the Series or the previous movies due to this. And no matter what you do, do not try to figure this one out while you're watching it, wait a week, then rewatch it and once you've done that you may try to fiddle with the plotthreads, doing otherwise might cause you to rupture a bloodvessel or two.

I don't think so. Evangelion was how I introduced myself to anime, and I loved it. Then again, I already had a taste for rambling, pretentious sci-fi beforehand, so the weirder bits only made the series more engaging for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked