So Fox bought the rights to a Magic The Gathering Movie...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The movie is to be written by Simon Kinberg, writer of a few of the Star Wars Spinoffs and producer of X-Men. They claim they want to launch it was a huge franchise like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

Seeing as this ever may see the light of day, what does everyone think? As a huge Magic Player, I am excited, but a little weary.

For extra fun, whom would you cast as a few of the planes walkers and what set would you want it to be based off of? Me and a few friends have narrowed down David Tenant (Doctor Who) as Venser, and a tie between Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy, Pacific Rim) or Russell Crow (everyone knows him)for Gideon Jura. For sets, we're all thinking Ravnica or even Innistrad.

What does everyone else think?

Ravnica has come back twice, but if I had to guess then the movie would be about the planeswalkers with the most coverage nowadays, not the old Weatherlight stuff from the past.

Liliana, Garruk, Jace, Ajani, Chandra, probably Nicol Bolas due to his influence and maybe a few others that have seen multiple runs such as Elspeth.

I could see this working if they used some of the books as a base.

There's a LOT of material there, though I'd rather have a proper Dragonlance movie myself.

Personally, I'd like to see them start from the Brother's war.

the irony is that Fox News will probably blast it.

On the other hand this could be really good or really bad since most of MTG doesn't really have that much of a story, though there are books.

Basically, I can see this going horrible as they're probably just going to build a 'Lik LOTR but wif MAJEEKS!' idea.

BQE:
Ravnica has come back twice, but if I had to guess then the movie would be about the planeswalkers with the most coverage nowadays, not the old Weatherlight stuff from the past.

Liliana, Garruk, Jace, Ajani, Chandra, probably Nicol Bolas due to his influence and maybe a few others that have seen multiple runs such as Elspeth.

...just give me some Sorin Markov. Hell, "The Wacky Adventures of Sorin Across the Multiverse" would be great.

Every other new 'walker can take a long walk off a short plane.

They paid the money to slap the title on whatever fantasy piece of a crap they turn out.

This seems to be the only way original movies get made, they get made and they just buy the title of something popular.

My guess is that they're going to make an "original" story and have an actually set made based around the events of the movie, kinda the way a lot of movies these days have a videogame based off of them.

As for casting...eh, I really don't care. With regards of what/who I'd personally like to see in it:

Chandra
Lilianna
Jace
Garruk
Tezzeret
Nicol Bolas
Sorin
Koth
What'sHisFace the Silver Golem

As for what set I'd like them to base it around: either the Eldrazi story or the return to Mirrodin story. I think Ravnica would be much more suited for a TV series than a movie series.

RJ 17:

What'sHisFace the Silver Golem

That would be Karn.

As a magic player myself I am having conflicting thoughts about the prospect of MTG films. On the plus side it would be good for the brand, as player numbers will explode from people who liked the movies. However on the negative side, it could get out of hand and quickly, end up in a cavalcade of mediocrity that had befallen several movie franchises.

In reality, though, it's going to piss me off to no end that some kid will say, "Oh, have you ever played Magic? I was there in the beginning, right after the first movie...". When i turn up to a FNM or tournament after a a break, that will likely will happen with my chosen field of future work.

Sarah Kerrigan:
The movie is to be written by Simon Kinberg, writer of a few of the Star Wars Spinoffs and producer of X-Men. They claim they want to launch it was a huge franchise like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

Seeing as this ever may see the light of day, what does everyone think? As a huge Magic Player, I am excited, but a little weary.

For extra fun, whom would you cast as a few of the planes walkers and what set would you want it to be based off of? Me and a few friends have narrowed down David Tenant (Doctor Who) as Venser, and a tie between Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy, Pacific Rim) or Russell Crow (everyone knows him)for Gideon Jura. For sets, we're all thinking Ravnica or even Innistrad.

What does everyone else think?

Magic the gathering is not a very good for a film. The story and lore is all a secondary consideration to the effects and balance of the cards. There is a single major narrative thread one could easily follow with the series. How much do you include? The goblins, the planewalkers, the characters from entirely useless cards?

Unless they want to make the film about playing the game itself, although Yu-Gi-Oh shows how much of a BAD idea that is.

SaneAmongInsane:
They paid the money to slap the title on whatever fantasy piece of a crap they turn out.

This seems to be the only way original movies get made, they get made and they just buy the title of something popular.

Like the Last Airbender movie?

OT: I don't know much about MtG, except the card game. I don't see how that can be made into a full length fantasy movie, nevermind a whole franchise on the movies. Do the books about it have a built up world/characters/story in them to back it up?

I'd love to see the movie. If they actually keep to their word- and make the movie... I would certainly look into it.

Back then, I played a lot of Magic the Gathering with my friends. Sadly, they grew out of it. Of course, before I jump into seeing this movie... I will watch the trailers and watch reviews after the movie is released. If it gets enough positive feedback, then I am sold.

Never again will I blindly go into a movie after what happened with-

sky14kemea:

THIS. Without waiting for the reviews.. I went to see it. How that very day taught me to always see what others have to say before purchasing a movie ticket. Sure, I don't always wait to preorder games and what not, but at least I can sell the game back if I hate it. Movies however... buying a ticket usually results in me sitting for 2 hours watching a terrible movie that ruins the franchise's name.

So yeah, I shall wait for the reviews if Magic the Gathering is produced.

So is this going to be a movie entirely devoted to the characters whipping cards at each other?

I want them to include Yawgmoth. Because Yawgmoth was awesome. Phyrexia in general is awesome.
But no, I don't hold too high hopes about the movie.

blackaddicus:
In reality, though, it's going to piss me off to no end that some kid will say, "Oh, have you ever played Magic? I was there in the beginning, right after the first movie..."

I would sincerely have to hope that such a thing would never happen. If it does, well I believe that's the day I'll be arrested for assault charges and/or child abuse for straight-up slapping a kid I don't know right across the face.

Bottom Line: this is going to be like every other movie based off a game (be it videogame or otherwise): there's potential for greatness, but far greater potential to fuck things up.

Usually Hasbro has a really good handle on those things. We'll see... For now i give them the benefit of the doubt.
There's a bajillion ways they could make this movie and with the modern Planeswalkers they've enough icons they can use as the face of MTG.

So probably the movie will be about Jace Beleren and the whole Nicol Bolas shebang. Probably the 2 most popular beings that are still alive. Or Elspeths journey.

Urza saga, without a doubt. Best characters, best setting, multiple deck series. Basically the most important set in the game. If you aren't old enough to have played during the Urza days, get some play time in with these cards and you will see some amazing things happen.

Oh I hope so much that this will be good. I would love to see more people get into it!

My bet: it's gonna be about Ajani. Although, given how the new Magic game is all about Chandra, maybe it's her - I haven't played it yet, so I don't know what part of her story is told in that. It definitely won't be Liliana or Tezzeret - the time for blatant bad guys in the main role has passed in my eyes, especially since this is essentially a superhero movie.

My biggest hope? They do the original Mirrodin Saga. Although I don't think that will happen, it would be awesome. Mirrodin was what really got me to transition from a casual to a Magic-freak, so I would love to see it on the big screen.

In the end though, even if the movie itself is bad, at least we're gonna get really nice landscape shots. Just think of it - all of the newer planes (Ravnica, Innistrad, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Zendikar) have incredibly goodlooking places.
Now I kinda hope it will be Zendikar - it has by far the coolest landscape, to the point that I have prints of the land-wallpapers on my walls.

I am a huge Magic fan but this is just ridiculous.

It is very clearly a bottom of the barrel sort of thing from Fox, who probably wanted other genre fiction material to adapt but was knocked back on account of being a third rate studio. Wizards of the Coast on the other hand probably see this as a gimme, since they would never have dreamed of such luck.

I would love nothing more than sci-fi/fantasy adaptations to just pack it in now, so many have sucked balls and personally I am sick of them. There's a strange irony that fantasy settings have become unoriginal in current years, and the more that are made, I think will keep diminishing the overall effect of those kinds of movies. If this movie ever sees the light of day there is no doubt it will be shit. No thought in the production process, no real artistically driven design, it will be helmed by Joe McZ-List because it will sell just as many tickets if it was helmed by bloody Spielberg. That is the nature of this fantasy adaptation genre now, the saturation has just killed it.

Magic already works in our heads as an abstract fantasy world described by a rich tapestry of game mechanics and card artworks. Not a lot of genre fiction has that kind of depth going for them. I'm not saying people are silly for thinking this movie could actually be good, but I am saying people are silly for thinking the concept of the Magic planes can be translated at all to movie form.

edit: I should point out I haven't read any books, I just play the game. But I do pay attention to the flavour and flesh out what's been put on the cards with my own interpretations, which is what I think sets apart Magic's fantasy setting from everything else.

I really really want this to be awesome, because magic has a wide enough variety of settings and characters to make it interesting.
But I'd be incredibly surprised if this turned out to be anything better than awful.

BQE:

That would suck massively.

Newer MTG is stale and shallow, anything good will start and end with the Weatherlight, Gerrard, Urza, Barrin, the ship's crew, Karn etc.

The ideal period being Tempest ---> Prophecy and everything in between.

Nemesis is still the best novel from the Magic: The Gathering series, and Urza's Saga/ Mercadian Masques the most intense two-block period.

Also I want the scene on this card in a movie:

I've wanted to get into the story, I really like the design of things overall, but the game is just hateful to me (I'm so bad in it it's shameful to everyone around lol) and I'd really like to enjoy the universe in some other way... Like I do with Warhammer 40K and, to a much larger extent, Dungeons & Dragons.

Yeah...no.

Judging from similiar projects, they will just look at some popular cards and make shit up on the go. Or we get some Yu-Gi-Oh ripoff where some kids take the place of planewalkers and/or player mages.

That won't end well...

well, if they got a really good special effects crew, it would be really cool to see a movie on the eldrazi. I mean, its vampire vs Cthulu, that sounds like a fun watch to me.
On the other hand, I can only wonder how the duels will go. maybe it'll be all rulebreaky like the yugioh anime

"I tap seven mountains for red mana!" a mountain range tips over in the background "So I can cast fireball! but instead of targeting a monster, my fires will attack the forests themselves! Burning down the forests will leave you with no mana, guaranteeing my victory!" We'll call it "Magic: the kangaroo Court"

I remember the Urza-Cycle having an interesting (implied) story, and several novels. Haven't played Magic in practically half a decade though.

Monsterfurby:
I remember the Urza-Cycle having an interesting (implied) story, and several novels. Haven't played Magic in practically half a decade though.

Agreed! I already have the cast in my head:

Good guys:
Gerrard Capashen: Richard Coyle, Guy Pearce or Christian Bale
Barrin: Hugh Jackman
Captain Sisay: No idea, anyone who fits the description would do, just not Zoe Saldana
Hanna, ship's navigator: I imagine Molly C. Quinn could do it well.
Karn the Silver Golem: Nicholas Farrell (already played a golem once - in Going Postal - and was fantastic)
Tahngarth: Probably Vin Diesel? I hate to say it. Or maybe Steve Blum, considering his role in Mass Effect.
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer: Patrick Stewart.
Mirri: Summer Glau

Neutral or varied from good to bad:
Urza: James Morrison
Mishra: Viggo Mortensen
Rofellos: Alexander Siddig
Teferi: Richard Brooks
Jhoira: Emily Deschanel

Bad guys:
Greven Il-Vec: Arnold Vosloo
Vhati Il-Dal: John Garman Hertzler
Crovax: Mickey Rourke
Ertai: Guy Pearce, if he didn't get Gerrard role, or Benedict Cumberbatch
Squee: Seth Green for a young Squee, or Armin Shimerman for an older one
Starke: Vinnie Jones
Yawgmoth: has to be someone extremely motivated to give the performance of a lifetime

lol... I had time on my hands...

EDIT: By the way, there are books.

Id love it if it was the Urza cycle Especially the Invasion cycle those books were amazing. Aslo to throw everyones suppositions for a loop Yawgmoth should be played by Morgan Freeman.

And for maximum awesome Urza would be played by Hugo Weaving

I think it would be kind of dumb and too out there if they made it all about the Planeswalkers. They should make it a six-parter based off of Judgement and Onslaught :P

sky14kemea:

SaneAmongInsane:

OT: I don't know much about MtG, except the card game. I don't see how that can be made into a full length fantasy movie, nevermind a whole franchise on the movies. Do the books about it have a built up world/characters/story in them to back it up?

That movie was never going to be good. They tried to crunch a whole series worth of plot down to 2 hours. that never ends well.

This will just turn into teenage Jace Potter chases evil dragon through mulitverse possibly accompanied by chandra granger, casting wacky spells getting them selves into sticky situations with shitty cgi. I'm calling it now, low budget cash grab attempt to milk some more money out of the currently popular Percy potter the sorcerers lighting apprentice market, With not a single fuck given for people who actually play magic.

I thought it was just a card game.

How can you make a movie, that is good mind you, out of a card game?

Even though i know fuck all about the franchise, this will not end well. I got around 0 fate in FOX with a title like this.

Although Simon Kinberg might make something decent out of it.

I actually have some hope for this. WotC has been sitting on these rights for a long time. Rosewater has mentioned the only reason they haven't done a Magic film yet was they were in a position to wait for it to get proper treatment. So if it's being made now then they finally got the deal/oversight they were looking for.

However, as cool as it would be to see Weatherlight, Urza, etc. Unless there is a plan to return to those settings in the coming sets, I don't think it's likely that those will happen. It seems much more likely it will have some tie-in or at least feature characters of product currently or soon to come to stores. As cool as it is to see a Magic film being made, it's still ultimately a marketing tool.

MTG has a vast and varied history that's spread across many realms, so I like the idea of a movie based on it.

Has anybody read any of the books? Well, they span from mediocre to fucking awesome.

A movie can work, and could actually be very successful.

So long as it's not outrageously haired youngsters playing card games on motorcycles, I am not interested.

Damn it! Fox chose the wrong director for this film, they should have gone with Uwe Boll! Why you guys ask? REASONS!

But in all reality, I'm kinda looking forward to this film, it might be interesting.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked