wait, in the US you don't have Coffee Crisp, Aero, or Smarties?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I cam across this tidbit in an article a friend sent me trying to prove that Canadian culture is influencing and controlling America's in a reversal of conventional wisdom and fear, and that came up.

So I have to ask, is it true? Do you Americans not know the greatness that is Coffee Crisp, Aero and Smarties? I mean I know you guys have banned Kinder Surprise because reasons, but still, is it true?

The link to the article for those interested (though it's not directly about cultural influence but more a list of reasons given why one is better then the other. Yeah, it's one of "those" articles, but hey, someone might be interested): http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/06/28/99-reasons-why-its-better-to-be-canadian/

EDIT: no, the Smarties reffered to are not sugar pills in plastic, we call those Rockets. They are a candy that look like smaller M&M, but with no peanut and a very different taste.

I'm in Ohio so I'm somewhat close to the Canadian border. Not sure if that will change anything.

Anyway, I know we have Smarties. I ate them all the time in highschool. Aero I have seen in the foreign section, specifically British, at the local supermarket. Coffee Crisps I have never even heard of until now.

Edit: Do other English speaking countries really refer to us Americans as Yanks that often?

Elfgore:
I'm in Ohio so I'm somewhat close to the Canadian border. Not sure if that will change anything.

Anyway, I know we have Smarties. I ate them all the time in highschool. Aero I have seen in the foreign section, specifically British, at the local supermarket. Coffee Crisps I have never even heard of until now.

W-what? But, but Coffee Crisp is the best one on the list. If you can only have 1 that's the one you get.

Well if you ever come up here for whatever reason you should get one, anywhere that has candy has them.

The Yanks banned Kinder Surprise?

Does that mean they don't get Kinder Buenos?

Those poor, poor bastards. I shall weep for them this day.

*single tear*

I never tried Coffee Crisp, but I have eaten Aero. It's nice. (I'm Swedish, BTW.)

Daystar Clarion:

*single tear*

Yes, the Yanks did it. In fact, a few years back when my little brother was on the last year trip to either New York or Florida (can't remember which), he and his friend tried to smuggle one each in. Boarder guards caught them (they where probably grinning like asses knowing them), and they had to throw them out. His friend was tempted to eat it instead, belch and say "you smell that? That's the smell of freedom", but he didn't want to risk it.

Daystar Clarion:

*single tear*

No Kinder Buenos?
H... H... How do they live?

American chocolate is shite anyway, they'd do it wrong. :D

Colour Scientist:

Daystar Clarion:

*single tear*

No Kinder Buenos?

Might be why they banned them.

'We can't let the people get their hands on the far superior European chocolate! They'll start to think food should taste like something other than corn syrup!'

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING

I can get all of those candy bars at the supermarkets in my area (except the Kinder Surprise). They're in the imported foods section, not with the rest of the candy.

And we have Smarties, but our Smarties are different from yours. I believe our Smarties are called Rockets in the UK.

Kinder Buenos are pretty tasty.

I think I've seen something that looks like Coffee Crisp minus the coffee part.

As for Aero well... we have this.

Edit: We don't have Smarties, there's some name confusion here

These are Smarties in the US

---

These are the Smarties this topic is talking about...

We have M&Ms instead. Like the Hersey's Air Delight, probably not as good.

Of course we have Smarties, but we call them M&Ms.

That's like saying we don't wear trousers just because we call them pants. (Granted, your chocolate trousers are generally better than our chocolate pants)

Zontar:
I cam across this tidbit in an article a friend sent me trying to prove that Canadian culture is influencing and controlling America's in a reversal of conventional wisdom and fear, and that came up.

So I have to ask, is it true? Do you Americans not know the greatness that is Coffee Crisp, Aero and Smarties? I mean I know you guys have banned Kinder Surprise because reasons, but still, is it true?

The link to the article for those interested (though it's not directly about cultural influence but more a list of reasons given why one is better then the other. Yeah, it's one of "those" articles, but hey, someone might be interested): http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/06/28/99-reasons-why-its-better-to-be-canadian/

The Coffee Crisp Wikipedia Page specifically says that they're mostly unavailable outside of Canada. They're easier to get in Australia than they are here.

We don't have Smarties over here, either. Well, we do, but they're not the same thing; you guys call them Rockets. How are your guys's Smarties different from M&M's, though, other than the package?

We have the Aeros over here, but we call them Hershey's Air Delight. I've never had one, but maybe I'll pick one up next time in the store.

They also don't have Hawkins CHEEZIES, you know, the uber-crunchy kind.

BeeGeenie:

000Ronald:
How are your guys's Smarties different from M&M's, though, other than the package?

The taste is different, it's like comparing Pepsi to Coke only with chocolate.

Zontar:

000Ronald:
How are your guys's Smarties different from M&M's, though, other than the package?

The taste is different, it's like comparing Pepsi to Coke only with chocolate.

Mmm. I totally understand; Pepsi is just a little bit to sweet for my taste.

I only ever saw the English Smarties in Germany and in the duty-free shop in the airport in Mexico. Surprise eggs are considered a choking hazard here, but Kinder chocolate is kind of gross anyway and the one surprise egg I had had something really lame inside. It gave me the impression they're meant for six-year olds., so who cares? Coffee Crisp just sounds gross, never heard of Aero, and i prefer the chalk Smarties.

What I miss that isn't sold in this part of the US are Tastykakes and Mallomars.

Eclipse Dragon:
These are the Smarties this topic is talking about...

We have M&Ms instead. Like the Hersey's Air Delight, probably not as good.

There's something that looks similar to that...

One of my favorite sour candies to get. There's good flavor, and the sour isn't overpowering you.

Zontar:

Hullo, New Yorker here, currently residing in Brooklyn. To answer your question to what I know, I've never heard of Coffee Crisp, and I don't know if I ever saw them. Aero (chocolate that has air holes in them, right?) and Smarties (big not M&Ms) on the other hand, I have seen frequently enough here, but they're not hugely popular.

Kinder Surprise has been banned because children can choke on the little toys, and our food laws say that you can't put a little non food thing in food if you can easily choke on it.

Elfgore:

Edit: Do other English speaking countries really refer to us Americans as Yanks that often?

Ohio here too. I've heard of Coffee Crisps, but I've never had them. I honestly can't remember where I heard of them, either. It was probably a Canadian friend of mine mentioning them.

And as to your edit, I really hope not. I hate being referred to as a "Yank" so much. It's just like one of those words that is descriptive but sounds like a slur.

Elfgore:

The Smarties I see here (Philadelphia) are not the same thing as Smarties in the UK, so I wonder if it is the same in Ohio?

Brit smarties are chocolate covered in a thin candy shell, American Smarties are what I would call Fizzers back home.

Chemical Alia:

What I miss that isn't sold in this part of the US are Tastykakes and Mallomars.

Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a Tastykake! These people just don't understand. Right now, I could go to Wegmans and grab some Turkey Hill ice cream. Or drive 10 minutes to Hershey, go into Sheetz, and buy some Tastykakes. That's living!

Daystar Clarion:

Colour Scientist:

Daystar Clarion:

*single tear*

No Kinder Buenos?

'We can't let the people get their hands on the far superior European chocolate! They'll start to think food should taste like something other than corn syrup!'

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING

That...that makes too much sense to not be a real reason.

I mean I've had Icelandic dark chocolate and that ruined me for any American chocolates.

BeeGeenie:

That's like saying we don't wear trousers just because we call them pants. (Granted, your chocolate trousers are generally better than our chocolate pants)

Chocolate pants are a thing?

What a time to be alive!

This shouldn't really surprise anyone; they're all Nestle. Lots of brands are specific to certain countries.

Us Canadians also get milk in bags.

Daystar Clarion:

Reminds me of a funny anecdote by an american coming back from a visit to Canada about how our Coke tasted completely different and better cause it had real sugar instead of corn syrup.

Americans seem to have got the short straw in terms of chocolate.
I love Kinder chocolate. I know some places get Cadburys but I don't know if that's a state exclusive sort of thing.
Poor suckers don't seem to get Galaxy though.

Even worse, no Jaffa cakes.

Hershey's is just... painted brown chalk. It's vile. I know they have SOME nice chocolate over there, but when I've bought chocolate things from Candy Hero in Leeds, it tastes like our cooking chocolate.

Luckily, the local Asian grocery store stocks all the international candies as well. I love me some Meusli chocolate bars!

I have no idea what Coffee Crisp or Aero even is. So... I guess it'll have to be a yes.

We do have smarties. I've eaten them since I was a kid. Haven't had any lately.

No Aero?

No Kinder Surprise?

No...COFFEE CRISP in the USA?

Really?

Truly I cannot survive in such a hellscape.

On a lighter note, I found a mini Coffee Crisp bar (the Halloween pack size) on my bed earlier this week. No one put it there and I didn't have any left. No idea how it got there. It was the highlight of my week without a doubt.

The Big Turk is the only candy bar I need.

Elfgore:

We need something to call you since everyone in N. and S. America is an "American"

EeveeElectro:
coking chocolate.

I read that as "cocking chocolate".

Durty.

Daystar Clarion:

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING

As an American, I can assure you that is a complete fabrication. We are allowed to buy our 25 grams per week chocorat from any source we can afford. Due to completely necessary wage reductions to help battle inflation though, we can't afford much beyond the state approved brands that are the only suppliers big hearted enough to keep their prices low (even if it does mean replacing much of the actual chocolate in the candy with high glucose corn syrup and cardboard).

Hold up, what the hell is a Coffee Crisp? You sure you don't mean Toffee Crisp?

TheYellowCellPhone:

Eclipse Dragon:
These are the snip

There's something that looks similar to that...

One of my favorite sour candies to get. There's good flavor, and the sour isn't overpowering you.

what?

What's the point in eating sour candy if your mouth doesn't suffer acid burn. CLEARLY you're eating it wrong.

anthony87:

EeveeElectro:
coking chocolate.

I read that as "cocking chocolate".

Durty.

I need to stop posting when I'm tired and I need to start proof-reading. (Usually I'm just so perfect I don't need to)

Although it does taste like someone jizzed in the chocolate mixture to give it that bitter, inky taste so I was kinda close?

AdrianCeltigar:

Us Canadians also get milk in bags.

I can't speak for all of America, but in Wisconsin, you can get bagged milk at the Gas station. Jugs are just so much more convenient though. Resealable and all that.

EeveeElectro:
I know some places get Cadburys but I don't know if that's a state exclusive sort of thing.

I can't speak to the exclusivity of it, but I do know that while we do get creme eggs, they're smaller here. And that's sad. Also, I miss the goo, the frosting filling just isn't the same.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked