9.2% (20)
9.2% (20)
Terribad
20.3% (44)
20.3% (44)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Babymetal

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Considering that we're all a bunch of nerds here, a lot of us are metalheads and a good chunk of us also watch anime or listen to JPop, I have to ask everyone, what do you think of the band Babymetal? For the uninitiated, they're a metal band made of 3 teenage girls that are also Japanese models/idols and they make something they coined as "kawaii metal". Yes, this is a real thing.

Here are a few songs to show what kind of stuff they do.

If you can't tell, I really like them! I heard of them a couple of months ago but they never really grabbed my attention. Now that I've actually listened to a couple of songs, I'm completely hooked. Hell, I already bought their album on iTunes and it was only released today. And now it's top of the Canadian iTunes metal chart! HOLY SHIT

EDIT: If you're worried about their metal "credibility", here's some footage of them playing with Chthonic, the Taiwanese symphonic death/black metal band. It's a good video, even though I originally watched it because of Chthonic's bassist...

Besides some spectacular dancing going on, it's alright. High-pitch Japanese women and music that sounds like death metal just don't go well together. The chorus for the first song was really awesome though.

Never been a fan of metal, but I like the choreography and dancing well enough.

And I don't like it. I mean, it's cool if you do, but it just isn't for me.

Pretty fucking terrible by my reckoning. Absolutely bog-standard boring riffs with a generic, lifeless tone and the vocals were... yeah, not my thing at all, though they're probably good as far as pop goes. It seems the band is more about it's live performance than the music, which is something I can't really respect.

As far as metal is concerned, if your riffs aren't good, something is wrong. Very, terribly wrong.

Ehhhhh. I'd probably rather just listen to Maximum the Hormone because they're actually a band. I kind of like it for what it is I suppose, but it sounds just a little too "overproduced".

I don't generally like pop music because the people who actually make and play the music are shoved into the background in the dark, while the icons who are singing auto-tuned, pre-recorded voices get all the fame for being pretty. I realize this isn't a thing isolated to Japan, but it's one reason I don't really dig this.

That said, it's an alright idea but I feel "Chū Chū Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura Purin Purin Boron Nururu Rerorero" (yes, that's the full name of the song) did it better.

Tangentially: I despise that "choreographed idol dancing" that Japan pours out. I think it looks really stupid. There is WAY Too much emphasis on bizarre arm movements and not enough legwork. If your legs are basically glued to the floor, you're not dancing. If you're going to dance, dance; don't be a cheerleader about it. I feel like the average raver around here can bust out better moves.

Couldn't stand the first song, especially after the vocals started. The third song showed promise, but it wasn't long before it fell apart. The second song was sort of OK, but I still couldn't finish it. I mean, I've certainly heard worse than that, but they just don't really seem to be that good to me. It really just feels like a bad marketing ploy.

Absolutely LOVED it until I turned my speakers on.

Um...yeah, so that was a thing.

I only listened to the first song, but yeah, really didn't like it much.

The music isn't great, it just sounds really generic. The vocals are a total mess. It really sounds like someone took some random japanese pop song and superimposed it over a really generic metal track. The two just don't flow together, and the high pitched voices of the girls really don't complement the music whatsoever.

It's one of those things that I probably would have actually liked if I was coming from a pop background and this was my introduction to metal, but considering I've been a metal-head for a long while now, and have heard much MUCH better bands with much MUCH better vocals, this just does nothing for me.

Dirty Hipsters:
It's one of those things that I probably would have actually liked if I was coming from a pop background and this was my introduction to metal, but considering I've been a metal-head for a long while now, and have heard much MUCH better bands with much MUCH better vocals, this just does nothing for me.

This is a good point. I maybe would have eaten this up back when Mushroomhead and Rammstein were my go-to bands. As a transitioning band, this could actually be somewhat successful in getting people into heavier music, much like Limp Bizkit (as bad as they are) got a lot of people, including myself, into heavier music many years ago. From that stand point, then hey, good luck to 'em, I guess. But when you've heard even a fraction of the thousands of bands out there, ranging from obscure early 90's demos to massive 20 albums-a-year discographies and everything in between, it's hard to be impressed or even intrigued by this.

the third song actually sounded like they sat down and wrote something that wasn't just generic riffing. as others have mentioned, there is better metal out there especially from Japan.

In short this metal is not for me, then again I've been stuck in a black metal and post metal phase for almost a year now.

However old they tell you they are... it's a lie...

They can't be any older than 12-13! :S They look like damn kids!

Also... as I am at work I can't actually hear it, but I will give it a go later!

Edit: Looked it up... 16, 14, 14... :S
Also, seems the entire band is just an exploitation of kids who just want to be famous any way possible. The fact that none of the members knew any metal music before being assigned to the band (from another j-pop band that they grew too old for) just irks me.

I prefer to listen to music where you can hear the passion of the writers in it... this sounds like a quick way of making money through 'novelty'.

Dirty Hipsters:

The vocals are a total mess. It really sounds like someone took some random japanese pop song and superimposed it over a really generic metal track. The two just don't flow together, and the high pitched voices of the girls really don't complement the music whatsoever.

This, so much this. I only lasted 46 seconds into the first video before the god awful vocals made me stop.

The poll really needs a 'bloody awful' option.

It all sounds pretty manufactured. Sort of like someone figured out a relatively metal riff but then repeated it twenty times instead of altering it, and shoved some pop-singing on top. It seems to be focused a lot on image as well, watching the video they sound pretty good but if you scroll down so you can't see it, not so good.

The first song was ok, mostly because of the wtf moment where it quickly transitioned into a pop chorus. Not particularly my cup of tea though

I think you may be targeting the wrong audience asking for Metalheads to review their work. Without any power in the vocals there isn't likely to be any real takers. The third song you posted was the best, but even then it was pretty meh and very overdone. I'm guessing this has more to do with some form of exploitation than any real love of metal.

I only listened to the first song, and thought it was pretty terrible. The cynic in me thinks it's just a marketing ploy for their modelling... maybe... somehow...?

I mean, they can't really be aiming this at people that actually appreciate metal, right?

Honestly, I just feel bad for that drummer - Do you reckon he could have picked a worst gig? "Play this bar of music. Good. Now repeat it for 4 minutes".

theseworlds:
I only listened to the first song, and thought it was pretty terrible. The cynic in me thinks it's just a marketing ploy for their modelling... maybe... somehow...?

I mean, they can't really be aiming this at people that actually appreciate metal, right?

Honestly, I just feel bad for that drummer - Do you reckon he could have picked a worst gig? "Play this bar of music. Good. Now repeat it for 4 minutes".

Probably why the musicians are wearing masks \snark

If only there was any soul to this, it might make for an interesting combo

Um... okay...

I mean, it's interesting. I find the idea humorous, which I think is the intent, the dancing is actually pretty good, and the songs aren't that bad considering the silly concept, but it just makes me wanna listen to Maximum the Hormone. I like it better than most visual kei music, I suppose (Not a big visual kei fan, or death metal for that matter), but I wouldn't really give it more than one listen.

Whoah... strangely enough it's pretty damn good.

They seem like the vocal antithesis of Rammstein.
And liking Rammstein without knowing German was once considered gimmicky, hopefully babymetal break the mold again.
Thanks alot for this. XD

Funny but bad... now if they'd had the voices to pull it off, it would've been a different story. There's several genuinely good japanese female metal vocalists, these are just annoying.

Megalodon:

Dirty Hipsters:

The vocals are a total mess. It really sounds like someone took some random japanese pop song and superimposed it over a really generic metal track. The two just don't flow together, and the high pitched voices of the girls really don't complement the music whatsoever.

This, so much this. I only lasted 46 seconds into the first video before the god awful vocals made me stop.

The poll really needs a 'bloody awful' option.

I am also missing a negative poll option. Both weird and gimmick can be positive based on the context. I know a lot of music that I consider good because it's weird and a good gimmick (such as Bullet Time's album where they made one melody and had various bands come up with their own lyrics and sing that) can also be a positive. When it comes to this I am not sure if it's a matter of a bad gimmick or just overall bad music. It sounds like someone trying to combine pop and metal where the metal part is terrible all on its own and the pop doesn't fit in at all. With better metal and less upbeat pop this could turn into a good gimmick. As it is now it's just a piece of terrible music.

Fucking terrible imo.The music is about as generic and boring as it gets.The vocal style does not fit the music at all and sounds like a joke youtube vid where someone took a pop song and gave it a metal backing track.And the synchronized dancing...fuck no.

All in all this just seems like the worst kind of cynical manufactured shite

Boring nu-metal riffs with annoying vocals (+crappy production sound), i can't see them as much more than a gimmick and i really don't like them at all. When it comes to combining J-Pop and Metal i think Marty Friedman did a better job.

Is there any Japanese music - other than their quite amazing classical composers along with movie/game music composers - that would play in Minor? I know this might be stereotypical but it would seem that everything that sells from there is in Major.

Also... Not bad playing from the band and nice dancing - I admit to that - but there are 3 singers on first song couldn't they at least have different range - or do all of the singers have the same exact tessitura?

Good japanese metal band with female singer:

Anyone got any other links that don't go through youtube? Germany unfortunately is still plagued by the bane of my god damn existence, GEMA, so I can't watch it (yes, I know there are plugins to get around that, but this isn't my PC so I can't install anything). I don't think I'm going to like it, but I wanna try.

Mersadeon:
Anyone got any other links that don't go through youtube? Germany unfortunately is still plagued by the bane of my god damn existence, GEMA, so I can't watch it (yes, I know there are plugins to get around that, but this isn't my PC so I can't install anything). I don't think I'm going to like it, but I wanna try.

Well here's a better band:
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Onmyo-Za---Konpeki-No-Soujin-/31cb2180de6102a68ef026eda675962a

Nope.

It doesn't even sound like metal - just Jpop over the top of a generic metal-ish backing track (and I'm someone who enjoys a wide range of vocal styles in metal, from death metal screams to full on operatic).

Also, I know they're older, but at least one of those girls doesn't look over 10, let alone in her teens. That kinda freaks me out.

SinisterGehe:
Is there any Japanese music - other than their quite amazing classical composers along with movie/game music composers - that would play in Minor? I know this might be stereotypical but it would seem that everything that sells from there is in Major.

Also... Not bad playing from the band and nice dancing - I admit to that - but there are 3 singers on first song couldn't they at least have different range - or do all of the singers have the same exact tessitura?

Dir Ein Grey plays a lot in minor also Boris and probably a lot more. They have a huge music scene over there(and i'm sure they have good stuff in all kinds of genres), but for some reason we only get to hear their annoying bubblegum pop (Which is limited to minor). It's like if Europe was judged slely on the likes of Aqua,Toybox, Cartoons, Dr Bombay and all that other trash we produced in the 90s.

Uh... okay. That is a thing.

Yea I didn't like it. Although considering I'm not a big metal fan (I like symphonic and that's about it) and definitely not a J-pop fan, this is kinda to be expected.

And yea it looks gimmicky as all hell.

Well I guess I didn't take this as seriously as a lot of people here are seeming to. I enjoyed it just because it was kind of silly and unexpected. I imagine once the novelty wears off they wouldn't have much going for them.

That last song actually kind of gave me a Children of Bodom vibe (another silly, cheesy band, except I think they take themselves seriously).

SmallHatLogan:
Well I guess I didn't take this as seriously as a lot of people here are seeming to. I enjoyed it just because it was kind of silly and unexpected. I imagine once the novelty wears off they wouldn't have much going for them.

Even silly bands require some competent musicianship. The band Alestorm is the best example of this. The music is straight up silly gimmicky power metal for when you're drunk to laugh along with, yet there are some solid riffing going on and some decent song structuring. It all wraps up into a nice package. This however was just a generic, boring, lifeless wasteland of the most lame metal riffs. The only interesting thing about it was the unusual vocals, and they get stale very quickly.

As I said, even silly or jokey bands require good music. Hell, even The Mentors had awesome guitar riffs and solos, and they were about as ridiculous as you get.

I have been following them for about 6 mounth now, it is gimmicky, and weird, but strangelly it work well his catchy

It's not really metal, though. It's just J-pop with some distorted guitars.

Well, I like them for what they are, an idol band with metal inspired music in the background, as such I don't expect too much from the music in terms of complexity or whatever. Their music is catchy, just like many other idol bands, and that is enough for me to give it a listen once in a while.

They are a bunch of girls with the dream of being a singer/idol and they seem to be doing a good job, the crowds that visit their live performances seem to have a lot of fun and participate pretty well, can't really dislike em.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked