The Future of Game Journalism.

There's a fire in my chest, something that's burned a huge grin onto my face. I've only ever felt this feeling once before and that was during Occupy Wall Street.

This is chaos, glorious, glorious chaos.

http://youtu.be/Jfub07Q2VuU?t=59s

Most likely a few threads up you'll see the current thread on the Zoe Quinn controversy. It may very well be the single largest thread the escapist has ever seen and it has exploded into a pool of anger. Anger at feminists and SJWs trying to dictate what's in games and screeching when things don't meet a "diversity" quota. Anger at corruption and nepotism in gaming journalism (I think this may be the line that'd get me banned from the Escapist, of course technically an extra infraction would only warrant a "suspension" at my current healthbar). Anger at the censoring and the bans and the strange "protection" people mods across all sites (even freaking 4CHAN) seem to be showering on Quinn while male game devs have been ripped to shreds over things much much lighter. Already new people seem to be joining the escapist just to comment on this.

It feels like, at any moment, someone is going to strike up a red banner and get some kind of revolution started, and I wont lie: it's bloody EXCITING! The promise of burning away the old in favor of the new, preferably something even better than before. The chaotic near Anarchy that will follow. All of it seems hilariously exciting!

And it looks like the entire industry of Gaming Journalism will be burned in the fallout.

This controversy may not go as far as hoped and I may end up looking like a fool for this thread (to be perfectly frank, I'd rather be a fool than banned over something like this), but it certainly seems headed that way at the moment. Even Sarkessian, for all the threads that were on that (in my earnest opinion) foolish women, didn't reach this level of sheer backlash and rage across so many places. Heck, just typing down "Zoe Quinn Controversy" on google lists the Escapist as the first result

The Zoe Quinn thing is only an outlier here, what I want to discuss is the future of the gaming industry. If this continues, if it keeps building momentum and if discussion keeps being banned across multiple sites, then the only path I can see this going down is a massive backlash against game journalism. There will be rage, there will be new sites rising and old ones falling, but there will be change and that is something better than this placid corruption that seems to ooze out of every pore of the industry.

So I say take to the web! Push this as far as it can possibly go! Start your own review series, on youtube, on a blog, encourage people to drift away from the mainstream as much as possible! People for feminism, against it, for social justice or against it, just join in on this crazy as all get out revolution! Now more than EVER, gamers have a chance to lash back and change this industry. The tools to build something new and better have been placed in your hands!

I'm even posting FUCKING LES MISERABLES! I DON'T EVEN LIKE MUSICALS! This is just too exciting to resist! Comment on what you think is going to be a result of this crazy controversy! Insult what I wrote or compliment it! Just do SOMETHING to shake the status quo!

So bring on the crazy! I'm READY internet!

Not to pull the revolutionary banners down and piss on the torches but...

I doubt this is going to have much of an effect on people's opinions on game journalism...

For one, most people are not going to care. Sorry people but it's true. Sites like The Escapist (this isn't a shot at The Escapist; this applies to all gaming sites) have a tiny minority when it comes to the audience. The "educated" (for lack of a better word; people who pay attention to the industry and whatnot) gamer is a tiny tiny tiny tiny speck in the sea that is the gaming world. Shit, I consider myself in the educated gamer camp and I know very little about the situation.

For two (I'm going to offend the hell out of game journalists by the end of this, aren't I?), no one takes game journalism seriously, even in our tiny minority of educated gamers. We all know how the game is played; we're not idiots. While I don't go full on tin-foil hat "The game journalists are all being paid off by big gaming!" like some do, we all are smart enough to realize that game journalists get a lot of freebies from game companies to do their job. There's no such thing as a gaming investigator; they're gossip magazines at best (sorry guys!). Like the movie theater industry's relationship with studios, game companies have journalists by the short hairs. While it's not direct control, I'd be crazy to ignore the fact that game makers and game critics are at least in the same hotel room if not sharing a bed.

Lastly, this revolution has kind of all ready happened. The rise of "Let's Play" and the tiny Youtube channel scoring thousands of views are on the rise. Big gaming sites are taking major hits because for whatever reason, people trust "the little guy" much more than the big cold machine of gaming websites. Hell, how many gaming magazines still exist?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't be right. I'm just...doubtful. At this stage, this seems more like mild looting and a handful of clashes with the riot police. Could this small spark be called the Gamers Boston Tea Party later in history? Of course it could. You'll just have to forgive me if I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it...

I don't know man I just like playing video games. Can't I just be on this site because I like playing video games?

LobsterFeng:
I don't know man I just like playing video games. Can't I just be on this site because I like playing video games?

NEIN! SPIEL UND SPASS SIND NICHT ERLAUBT.

tippy2k2:
You'll just have to forgive me if I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it...

You wouldn't want to do that anyway.

You'd suffocate long before anything noteworthy actually happened.

Even if this is the catalyst for change, change is rarely ushered in rapidly.

LobsterFeng:

NO! YOU MUST TAKE A SIDE IN THE UPCOMING CULTURE WAR THAT IS TOTALLY HAPPENING, maybe...

In a podcast on YouTube (livecast? I don't know what YouTube calls it) MundaneMatt and Sargon of Akkad talked at length about the idea of them and other like them (make videos with very few relating to video games, but from people who do care for the medium) making a website of their own.

To be honest, I think the most we'll get out of that is just that: people with moderate fanbases banning together to make their own websites about gaming. With the free market of thought, this could end up changing who is listed as the major game sites, but I don't expect more then half of the old guard to leave, and even fewer to allow the winds of change to do so without a fight.

One way or the other the industry was going to change, this is only making that change happen faster, and we can only hope that change is positive for us consumers instead of the anti-consumer status quo that exists now.

I doubt it, people will forget about it soon enough and things will go back to normal.

Apart from a small, albeit angry, group of people, no one gives a shit.

One of the longest, most-viewed, aggressive threads the Escapist has ever had and it's about a woman who cheated on her boyfriend surrounded by an ass-tonne of rumours, speculation, unconfirmed reports and paranoia.

I don't know what it says about the community but it isn't a good thing.

Colour Scientist:

One of the longest, most-viewed, aggressive threads the Escapist has ever had and it's about a woman who cheated on her boyfriend surrounded by an ass-tonne of rumours, speculation, unconfirmed reports and paranoia.

I know, after 72 pages people still think that thread is about a woman who cheated on her boyfriend. That really says a lot about how important it is for game media sites like this to actually report on gaming news instead of making a quick article explaining things.

Zontar:

Colour Scientist:

I know, after 72 pages people still think that thread is about a woman who cheated on her boyfriend. That really says a lot about how important it is for game media sites like this to actually report on gaming news instead of making a quick article explaining things.

Well, that's the problem when you put everything into one bloody thread. While it most certainly true that the narrative of that thread has changed multiple times, the current direction of the thread and the OP are now so far apart I'm confused why you guys are still on that thread. Wouldn't it have been better to move on to newer topics? Half of the posts don't involve Zoe anyways, why keep it there? Though as I am saying this on a new thread, the problem might sort itself out...

xaszatm:

Zontar:

Colour Scientist:

Well, that's the problem when you put everything into one bloody thread. While it most certainly true that the narrative of that thread has changed multiple times, the current direction of the thread and the OP are now so far apart I'm confused why you guys are still on that thread. Wouldn't it have been better to move on to newer topics? Half of the posts don't involve Zoe anyways, why keep it there? Though as I am saying this on a new thread, the problem might sort itself out...

It's mainly due to the fact that arguments on it are still very active, and by the time they sort themselves out new arguments have arisen from people who where already reading or just hoped in. Long threads tent to perpetuate themselves for some time after reaching a certain length (though they tend to burn themselves out by the 15th page) and what keeps it going is the fact that it's still a moderately intense thread in terms of posting coupled with the fact that no one is sure that making a new topic won't end up with it being merged for a lot of the things still being talked about on it.

This makes me glad I avoided this whole affair -- I'm not a revolutionary, I'm just a guy who likes to sleep in.

You know, in wake of this whole scandal, I have been wondering why gamers don't just up and start a new wave of gaming websites. Ones that don't jump in on the SJ bullshit or stroke indie dev egos. I've seen a lot of posts that are essentially "I have a degree in journalism and let me tell you gaming journalists are unethical, anti-factual jerk bags that would get laughed out of any respectable news source." And for every one of them I think "Well, why don't you fight against that tide? You have journalistic experience, and you at least appear to take issue with all this. Stand up!" It is something I'm kinda hoping for. Frankly, I'm done with the Escapist. I came to this website to talk about video games, not get told I'm a weak, spineless victim by a bunch of white-knighting men who have no experience with what it's like to be a female gamer. Not to get told "Well, just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen! So shut up and stop sharing your experiences because they don't align with my world view!"

I mean, hell, do you know how impossible it is to find video game sites that don't jump in on this bullshit? The only ones I can find are tiny websites that move too slowly to keep up with me. And when I went to Tumblr's (Laughably pathetic) video game community, I got chased out by "feminists" who harassed me for, what do you know, being a woman who doesn't agree with them. Funny thing is, that was actually the worst experience I suffered as a girl gamer - and it was from people who claim to fight for my right to be one.

I've contemplated just starting a podcast myself. Someone needs to speak out on this stuff, and hell, I got the time, if nothing else. Especially since possessing a vagina seems to give me a free pass in the gaming media and immediately validate everything I say.

But mostly, I'm just concerned with how, because everything concerning Zoe Quinn is getting swept under the rug, a lot of legitimate gripes are getting ignored, too. That indie dev who claims she sexually harassed him at a wedding. The game jam organizer who claims she doxxed them and tried to sabotage a game jam created to help women get into game development. The harassment TotalBiscuit is currently suffering at the hands of Quinn's supporters. You can't bring any of it up without someone shouting "Slut-shaming! Witch-Hunter!"

Someone needs to bring this stuff up. We wouldn't tolerate claims of sexual harassment against anyone else, especially if it were a woman accusing a man. We wouldn't tolerate harassment of a gamer on the web, especially if it were a woman being harassed by major figures in the indie scene. Hell, there was some decent coverage of the game jam Quinn was a part of, but the FYCs are getting nothing?

It's sick. Someone needs to address this shit, and if our current gaming "journalists" won't, well... why not make our own press?

I get that "the thread" was a whole bunch of topics bundled into one, but it still hurts to think that some people come out of there thinking Zoe and her Ex are more than merely the fuse and match to the whole situation. I've only read like 4-5 random pages and it's obvious to me that they're only a tiny part in this, the only reason anyone mentions them is because they were the catalyst to all this. I can't tell if this ignorance is willful or not.

OT: Hopefully sites across the web have finally been reminded of the Streisand Effect, which they so frequently talk about when referring to devs censoring things. If you censor this kind of thing, hell if you censor anything, people will lose all trust in you. We've even had the editor in chief make same very unprofessional and unjournalistic statements, causing me to lose faith in the Escapist as a media outlet ('cept Jim and Yahtzee).
Then again he did have it reopened, so it might not be so bad.
With any luck though, new sites will spring up out of this mess for me to bookmark and visit regularly.

On the other hand, one could propose that the Escapist went past it's bias by not shutting down the threads talking about it, although I think the original one did get shut down so who knows.

Game Journalism is going to be just fine after the Zoe Quinn controversy (refuse to call it ZoeGate because I'm soooooooooo sick of every controversy being called "something Gate" because it itself is just lazy journalism.)

While, yes, there are things to look at in regards to what happened with Zoe Quinn's infidelity with a member of the game journalism community and her (at the time) future boss, the narrative is too damaged by slut-shaming (her short-ish nude model career with Broken Dollz and her infidelity that is only known about because of a recent ex-bf,) potential lying and encouraging harassment for profit (she apparently is the same type of genius as Anita who just goes to 4chan and posts over and over to get attention as well as lying about a very niche website that she supposedly has both never gone too but knew about so well that she knew everyone would get on)

I personally don't know what is true, and even was a defender on the original thread in the basement. Mainly because the OP and several after were decrying her as a slut for not only cheating on her BF but because she worked for a nude website in her past, something I champion for women and an industry I actually work it. The truth is that this is so minor it doesn't really matter. People are only fired up because it fits the narrative in one way or the other.

Either the woman is being defended because she's a woman and HOW DARE SHE! Or the guys are attacking her because she's a woman and HOW DARE THEY! Funny thing is both are wrong in their own ways and a much more logical and rational discussion might find the truth.

It's the same argument that the Escapist and other sites have been having since Anita first got her Kickstarter started (evident by the fact that a video producer can't even show an image of her without commenters calling out supposed prejudice and the like.)

It's unfortunate, but ultimately inconsequential much like every conversation about Anita, every conversation about Dragon's Crown and even every conversation about Bayonetta.

The community that posts is pretty well divided down the middle and no one is convincing the other side.

Zontar:

Colour Scientist:

I understand that the dialogue has changed topics a couple of times but it's still very much rooted in speculation and tenuous accusations.

People in that thread just seem to be working each other into a tizzy so now relatively small things that could probably be very easily explained are being hailed as examples of extreme corruption and nepotism.

I mean, I think a lot of people in there would benefit greatly from taking a step back and pausing for a deep breath.

Colour Scientist:

Zontar:

Colour Scientist:

I understand that the dialogue has changed topics a couple of times but it's still very much rooted in speculation and tenuous accusations.

People in that thread just seem to be working each other into a tizzy so now relatively small things that could probably be very easily explained are being hailed as examples of extreme corruption and nepotism.

I mean, I think a lot of people in there would benefit greatly from taking a step back and pausing for a deep breath.

You have a point, but most of the explanations people are coming up with are for problems that, no matter the answer, show that something is wrong with games media in general these days. I honestly don't know what it is which is causing the attempts at mass censorship, but I do know this: the only people involved in it all who have spoken are ones who have made the picture much more bleak (such as our own Greg Tito, Editor in Chief, openly stating that if someone claims they are being harassed without evidence then he'll run the story a factual even if there is nothing to support the claims, and from what we have seen of the actions on this site there also will be no redaction of the claims should it come to light that it was a lie). It's all very worrying.

Zontar:

Colour Scientist:

Zontar:

You have a point, but most of the explanations people are coming up with are for problems that, no matter the answer, show that something is wrong with games media in general these days. I honestly don't know what it is which is causing the attempts at mass censorship, but I do know this: the only people involved in it all who have spoken are ones who have made the picture much more bleak (such as our own Greg Tito, Editor in Chief, openly stating that if someone claims they are being harassed without evidence then he'll run the story a factual even if there is nothing to support the claims, and from what we have seen of the actions on this site there also will be no redaction of the claims should it come to light that it was a lie). It's all very worrying.

To be fair, this has only blown up in the past day or so.

People need time to take all of this in. I mean, look what happened when Greg Tito made a quick response? People twisted his words and it drummed up an immediate backlash. He probably could have phrased what he said a bit more carefully but the way people have jumped on it and misrepresented his post, I wouldn't want to be making any quick responses either.

In a scenario like this, some people are going to pick apart and analyse every single word that's said on the matter and read into it in any way they can.

It's funny, people are going ape-shit over journalistic integrity and inaccurate portrayals of events but are then supporting their opinions by misrepresenting arguments, misquoting and paraphrasing in order to twist a statement so that it would appear to support their argument.

Colour Scientist:

Zontar:

Colour Scientist:

To be fair, this has only blown up in the past day or so.

People need time to take all of this in. I mean, look what happened when Greg Tito made a quick response? People twisted his words and it drummed up an immediate backlash. He probably could have phrased what he said a bit more carefully but the way people have jumped on it and misrepresented his post, I wouldn't want to be making any quick responses either.

In a scenario like this, some people are going to pick apart and analyse every single word that's said on the matter and read into it in any way they can.

It's funny, people are going ape-shit over journalistic integrity and inaccurate portrayals of events but are then supporting their opinions by misrepresenting arguments, misquoting and paraphrasing in order to twist a statement so that it would appear to support their argument.

I would like to point out that Greg's first statement on the matter was contradictory in nature (which isn't a surprise since it was in response to someone asking why he was being contradictory in his actions) and his statement boiled down to defending one narrative without evidence and not supporting another one even if it could prove itself to be true.

There's no kind way to say it, but his statements have put the integrety of this entire site into question, and the issue won't go away any time soon.

Colour Scientist:
I doubt it, people will forget about it soon enough and things will go back to normal.

Apart from a small, albeit angry, group of people, no one gives a shit.

It suggest to me there's an element willing to stoop to Daily Mail garbage raking and bulls*** if it means they get to take down a vicious evil feeeeeeemale in their precious hobby.

Here's my prediction. It'll die down in a week, and we all go back to mocking IGN for various review scores, Kotaku for pretty much anything and Tito for Dragon Age 2 (sorry! =P). Maybe a Jimquisition later down the line if we're lucky.

Oh, and Five Guys might announce an upsurge in profits over one week.

But yeah, Zoe Quinn will probably continue to make games, Nathan Grayson will continue to not write reviews about Depression Quest and we'll all be back to normal.

NOTE: This is a prediction so I could be wrong, and in that case I will be one sad panda indeed

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked