Zoe Quinn Defends Herself in Cracked Article

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-i-learned-as-internets-most-hated-person/

Today, Sept. 16 2014, Cracked published an article[1] called, "5 Things I learned as the Internet's Most Hated Person." I'm coming here because this is the first (to my knowledge) full-length piece Quinn has written about this whole thing.

What does it say? Basically, that harassment is bad. She doesn't talk about most of the root causes for the anger or scandal; she sums it up as "My ex posted an angry rant about me, then people started assuming I was controlling the games industry through my vagina." No mention of Games Jams, TFYC, Phil Fish's explosion gets only a passing mention (and not by name) and the alleged cheating that started the thing is referenced only in an image of a 5 Guys meme with the caption, "...wait, what?" It all boils down to "having a relatively large part of the internet hate you sucks," which is accurate but feels disingenuous.

Any thoughts on this? Has she written elsewhere about this, maybe explaining her side of the actual scandal in depth?

[1] For the unaware, Cracked is an American comedy website with a penchant for list-based articles about crazy tactics, deadly animals, and other stuff. Over the past few montsh, they've started writing interview articles with people ranging from Chris Hadfield to gangsters. These pieces are interviews and NOT objective, as Cracked isn't a news site and don't hold themselves to those journalistic standards

I'll save everyone time:

Lies, out of context, cherry picked quotes, more lies, bias, lying again, inflated sense of self-importance.

That's the problem with Gamergate - while it raised some concerns that merit discussing (I'm not saying they must be true, just that they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand), one can simply point to the Ranting Retard Squad and use them as an excuse to write everything off. And that's how the article comes off - Zoe using the worst of her critics and ignoring any coherent argument that was raised.

I read the Cracked article, and it honestly didn't do anything for me. It explained nothing, it gave me next to no new info, it didn't make me laugh. All it did was make me shrug. Sure, harassment is bad and the Internet is known for it (yaaay for G.I.F.T.), but we know that already. Zoe's sex life was just a starting point for a discussion about gaming journalism and a bunch of questionable stuff surrounding it.

But whatever, I just can't bring myself to care anymore. There are too many raving idiots on all sides of the argument flinging feces at each other, so even if you're not actively flinging shit, you're guaranteed to get a taste of some if you open your mouth, even if it is in an attempt to be reasonable...

Jandau:
That's the problem with Gamergate - while it raised some concerns that merit discussing (I'm not saying they must be true, just that they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand), one can simply point to the Ranting Retard Squad and use them as an excuse to write everything off. And that's how the article comes off - Zoe using the worst of her critics and ignoring any coherent argument that was raised.

From her point of view, though...once the first dozen or so people say they want to kill you, you probably stop listening and miss anyone with a valid concern.

Ah, beaten to the punch by Thunderous...

Anyways, on topic: The thing that makes me really sad is not the article. It's what you would expect from a biased source.

What really boils my blood is the comment section, where there are essentially only four types of responses:
-People lapping up her every word and raging about how gamers are all harassing, neckbearded, basement-dweller assholes.
-Gamers apologizing for other gamers being harassing, neckbearded, basement dwelling assholes.
-Guys showing up to give perspective on the other parts of the issue being swamped by accusations of misogyny and being trolls for daring to contradict the poor victim.
-The actual trolls.

I know that Cracked is a comedy site and all, but I have been active there for a while, and I *know* there is intelligent discussion to be found there... yet apparently even they are not immune to the GamerGate effect...

I just read the Cracked.com article and came to the Escapist anticipating that a thread on it would soon be made. Call me a prophet because I was right! :)

I've avoided the whole Zoe Quinn matter and have avoided that ginormous thread in the Open Forum. What little I've gleaned pretty much walks in tandem with her article in Cracked: An ex-boyfriend went on a revenge escapade and the thing was blown entirely out of proportion.

I've witnessed gossip and b.s. lies damage or ruin people's lives in the real world so I take this "GamerGate" thing (EDIT: By which I mean the accusations and slander against Zoe Quinn) with a barrel of salt. The track record of anti-feminist tirades she mentioned in the article jives with what I've heard/read about previous witch hunts and contributes to my perception that the entire thing was pretty much a case of people making a mountain of a mole hill.

The name calling and such? Harassing her friends and family? Rape and death threats? I've no truck with that. Nor do I consider the fact that it happens all the time on the internet sufficient reason to shrug it off and say: "Sucks to be her."

I'll just take the long view: When the storm truly passes and facts emerge unimpeded by rants and lies maybe I'll follow up on the matter out of mild curiosity to discover just how many lies were invented to feed the shitstorm.

As I said, I've seen this happen to innocents in real life. I hold no truck with such behavior and am firmly disinclined to give the frothing, vulgar, name calling trolls at 4chan, etc, who make people's lives miserable any respect because of their vile behavior.

So you won't research it yourself, but you'll judge everyone involved as awful just because?

A good way to weed out people who haven't actually looked into anything are the people who think 4chan is a hive mind entity.

I'm sure the /lgbt/ board will be happy to tell you how they feel being lumped in with /pol/.

How about you go onto the Papercraft and Origami board and ask what they think of it all?

Here Comes Tomorrow:
inflated sense of self-importance.

She gets thread after thread here on The Escapist; everybody knows who she is; she shows up in mainstream media unlike pretty much every game developer ever.

Queen Michael:

She gets thread after thread here on The Escapist; everybody knows who she is; she shows up in mainstream media unlike pretty much every game developer ever.

Indeed. I don't think that she's the one who has over-inflated how important she is.

I think this article really puts things in perspective. Gamersgate was never anything but a smokescreen for douchebags to act like douchebags, and an excuse for paranoid delusionals to feel justified in their senseless rants.

Most hated person on the internet?

Uh...yeah. Sure. Keep telling yourself that, Zoe.

I love you Cracked, but this is just really odd. Then again, they have been taking a certain spin on issues for a while now. Not that that's always a bad thing.

at this point I don't give a fuck what this woman did or didn't do

there are too many shitheads out there....just doing what they do....

Solaire of Astora:

Well...briefly. Like how you are still a New York Times bestselling author if it was for one week in 2002.

Queen Michael:

Indeed. I don't think that she's the one who has over-inflated how important she is.[/quote]

I didn't even remember who she was, or the games she has made, until the treads started. I wouldn't be surprised if for a lot of people "Zoe Who?" was their first reaction to the controversy.

thaluikhain:

Solaire of Astora:

Well...briefly. Like how you are still a New York Times bestselling author if it was for one week in 2002.

I think if you actually asked anyone outside of gaming spheres they'd just ask "Who?".

Exactly what I expected to read. Because I've seen this kind of article times and times again. Of course there is just so much you can take at face value from a biased source (goes both ways).

An interesting read. Can't imagine what it must've been like to be her in the middle of that maelstrom.

Why it ok for a woman to stop a feminist fundraiser? Why is that never addressed?

Can someone tell me which parts of this game are false? http://oppressionquest.com/

Edit: Its kind of funny that any mention of Oppression Quest or its contents on cracked gets deleted.......

Here Comes Tomorrow:
So you won't research it yourself, but you'll judge everyone involved as awful just because?

Nah. I judge most of the people involved as awful because they behave awfully. I don't participate in a lot of GamerGate threads, but I do read through them, and I see a lot of seething pejorative, a lot of gross generalizations, a lot of labeling, a lot of raging confirmation bias, and lot of echo chambering. And before you get up my ass about my own bias, I read a few flailing manifestos from the other side of the ledger that were just as awful. I recall the term "shitbeard" being used in abundance. Once you've gone full "shitbeard" you can pretty much forget about having a useful discourse with anyone on the other side. There is no point in any conversation where calling someone a "shitbeard" civilizes it.

Here Comes Tomorrow:
A good way to weed out people who haven't actually looked into anything are the people who think 4chan is a hive mind entity.

They are the same stripe of person who think feminism is a hive mind entity, or that you can label a massive cross section of random people "social justice warriors", assign them presumed characteristics, and campaign against them with open hostility and NOT come across as a bigoted asshole.

PS - Better add Cracked to the blacklist, my furious gaming brethren! They're agaaaaaaainst you....

Here Comes Tomorrow:
I'll save everyone time:

Lies, out of context, cherry picked quotes, more lies, bias, lying again, inflated sense of self-importance.

I knew #Gamergate supporters did all that, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I read the article.

AkaDad:
I knew #Gamergate supporters did all that, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I read the article.

Yup.
And yet, SJWs have done just as bad. There are assholes and trolls on both sides of the fence.
Which is to be expected when the nature of the internet assures that anyone can join the fray on any side posing as anyone.

In such an environment, character assassination is trivially simple.

Woah, that's really horrible.

I think that people forget in the midst of their conspiracy theories and such that there are actually real people involved.
It's kinda sad.

This is why I want nothing to do with it, too much ugliness.

Phasmal:
Woah, that's really horrible.

I think that people forget in the midst of their conspiracy theories and such that there are actually real people involved.
It's kinda sad.

This is why I want nothing to do with it, too much ugliness.

I haven't been all that involved in all this, but there does seem to be a rather large group determined to dehumanize her.

Everyone here realizes that she might be mentally or emotionally unstable and she found herself in the midst of an internet shitstorm, the most unpleasant of shitstorms, right? If you kept getting personal messages or reading other messages about how horrible a person you are, you are everything wrong in society today and you have no right to speak at all, how willing to engage anyone in conversation would you be?

BloatedGuppy:
snip

You're too good at making reasonable and well-thought out posts, Guppy.

You have to stop. For the sake of the CRUSADE.

Atmos Duality:

AkaDad:

Yup.
And yet, SJWs have done just as bad. There are assholes and trolls on both sides of the fence.
Which is to be expected when the nature of the internet assures that anyone can join the fray on any side posing as anyone.

Yeah, I know, both sides are equally bad. Is there an SJW site like 4chan that does targeted harassment campaigns for the lulz?

AkaDad:
Yeah, I know, both sides are equally bad. Is there an SJW site like 4chan that does targeted harassment campaigns for the lulz?

I honestly wouldn't doubt it if there was, but I don't frequent those circles (or 4chan for that matter, so I'm taking your claim with a grain of salt here) so I don't know. The closest I've seen are the usual polarized dogpile attacks in the comments for most sites (including here).

What I do know, is that I've been called all manner of unpleasant things simply for disagreeing with someone, their work, or their political agenda, also seemingly "for the lulz".

Or at least I hope so, because genuine devotion to hatred that intense requires a dangerous level of fanaticism.

AkaDad:

Atmos Duality:

AkaDad:

Yup.

Tumblr

Edit: not actually joking. Tumblr once tried to invade 4chan. Unfortunatly no one noticed, because pissing on 4chan is like pissing into an oceon of piss

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Tumblr

You stole my post. The difference is that tumblr takes itself seriously which makes it a lot more dangerous than anything 4chan can do since at least they have self-awareness and understand they're being assholes.

not actually joking. Tumblr once tried to invade 4chan. Unfortunatly no one noticed, because pissing on 4chan is like pissing into an oceon of piss

tumblr noticed since 4chan invaded back. Now you can imagine what happens when a bunch of "trigger warning" losers are met with the stupidity and depravity of what 4chan can produce, right? I couldn't stop laughing that day.

A song came to mind, mostly for the chorus. But on reviewing the lyrics, I find it's actually, overall, pretty apt:

I'm sure it's already too late, but here's an idea: if you disagree, don't give it twenty billion page views. Cracked, even more than some, tracks these things.

BinDipper:
Yeah, well, I bet the bitch will think twice the next time she thinks about cheating.
Thirsty-ass ho.

Noone deserves being criticized all over the internet for cheating. The fact that she was part of the corruption that exists within games "journalism" just made her love life relevant to the discussion. No doubt that she's a shitty human being but it's noone's business unless she's being a shitty human being in the gaming industry too (unsurprisingly, she is).

I just loved the editor's note.

Editor's Note: A few weeks ago our message board and general inbox were bombarded with demands we address something called the "GamerGate Scandal", posts written with the urgency and rage one would associate with, say, discovering that Chipotle burritos are made entirely from the meat of human babies. It's apparently a big deal in some circles, so we followed the links and read the piles of data presented, and had to stop and take a deep breath just to grasp it all. "Gentlemen," we said amid the stunned silence, "do you realize that if what they're saying is true, then this is still the most pointless fucking bullshit anyone has ever forced us to read?"

I can't help wondering if this is how all those corrupt journalists who have supposedly been covering this up feel too?

BinDipper:
Yeah, well, I bet the bitch will think twice the next time she thinks about cheating.
Thirsty-ass ho.

Why you gotta be that way? What is wrong with you that you approve of the public harassment of a woman for any reason? She cheated. That is between herself and those she wronged. You have no place in that discussion. You are not the arbiter of justice. If this is all you have to add to the discussion can you please do everyone a favor and shut up? No one likes you, no one wants you here. Go away.

Here Comes Tomorrow:
I'll save everyone time:

So...pretty much what her detractors have been doing minus the death threats, rape threats, and constant hacking and harassment of everyone she knows?

Here Comes Tomorrow:

AkaDad:

Atmos Duality:

Yup.

Tumblr

Edit: not actually joking. Tumblr once tried to invade 4chan. Unfortunatly no one noticed, because pissing on 4chan is like pissing into an oceon of piss

Question. Is 4chan all about it's harassment? When you go there, is that all there is to it? And how often do they launch harassment campaigns like that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked