Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Reaction Thread (Spoilers)

In case you missed it in the title, SPOILER WARNING for the latest episode of Aldnoah.Zero that aired today.

So, Aldnoah.Zero. It's the series I've been enjoying the most this season, the premise is interesting, the action is tactical and exciting and the animation/style are top notch. I'm in love with the soundtrack which I've been listening to on repeat for the past few days.

However the thing I've enjoyed the most was the characters and their gradual development. Seeing the history of Slaine, Princess Asseylum, Lt. Marito, Rayet and Saazbuum slowly revealed was interesting and made them into a cast that I genuinely cared for. Inaho too having such a different personality to your regular protagonists was great. Seeing these characters built up I was very excited to see what would happen in the second half of the series and what direction it would take.

Aaaaaand then we got the most recent episode. Barring some bullshit miraculous recovery Asseylum, Inaho and Saazbuum are all dead, the Deucalion crew may or may not be as well and Slaine has an Aldnoah Kataphrakt. I was shocked as I watched it unfold, I sat there stunned for a good minute or two as the credits rolled.

Frankly though, I loved it. It reminded me a lot of Game of Thrones, build up these characters before mercilessly chopping them down, leaving the audience shocked and horrified. I have no idea what direction the series will take from here but I will definitely be tuning in come January.

So what did you think of this episode? Did you like it or do you feel betrayed? Also, do you have any speculation as to where the series will head when it returns?

I did like that last episode. It kinda reminded me of the end of Code Geass Season 1. It was a shocking end and it has me hooked to see the second season. I also like the silent credits.

I didn't, however, like the anime that much overall. It had its moments here and there, and I liked the premise, but for the most part it was a rather rough ride, and I found a lot of the characters to be boring. I didn't like Inaho, and was anticipating a plot twist where he was actually a robot the whole time. Although, I admit, because he was so stoic and emotionless I really wanted to know why he was the way he was, and was hoping for some kind of origin story. I did, however, like his closure at the end, and it kinda made me forgive his overblown stoic-ness. The other characters didn't have much to them to make me really care or appreciate them. Slaine, however, I felt was the more interesting character, and I think I would've like it better if we followed him a bit more. I did like Asseylum quite a bit, and I like how she tries her best to control the situation with the power she has, even though her own knights are trying to kill her. Rayet was also another character that has potential, and I hope they use her more in the next season. But overall none of the characters were strong enough to really stick with me, although I can't say I hated any of them.

It was also disappointing that Gen Urobuchi, a writer I'm a huge fan of and is a big influence for me, had barely any involvement with it. He wrote the first three episodes and outlined the story to a point, but he didn't write any of the characters, and honestly you could tell. I've been following him up for a long while, and reading some of his interviews, and the characters really didn't seem like the kind he'd write, or at least weren't fleshed out enough. Throughout the anime it always felt to me that the writer is trying to emulate Urobuchi's style, but could never get it down quite right.

But with that last episode, though, I am anticipating the second season and am curious as to where it will go from here. I just hope it's better. (And please, let Urobuchi handle the entire thing.) As for speculations, I can see the princess surviving. I mean, they already faked us out twice, so what's a third time. The bullet could've probably nicked her on the head, Jojo-style. They stated that her whereabouts are unknown, so I assume Slaine carried her body off to try and save her. Also, we never actually see him kill Saazbaum, so there's a possibility he'll be back. Inaho, though, I believe to be dead. His arc was complete and I don't see a reason to bring him back, but who knows. Maybe they have more in store for him in the off chance he did survive.

Other than that, though, it's not a bad series, I just couldn't get that much invested in what was going on. The soundtrack is great, though, and a lot of the fights are cool.

Oh god, how to react to this episode

oh right

WHAT THE HELL! Okay, they killed the one seeking peace, the cold pilot, and the personification of why the war is going on without the war actually ending. If this was a Gundam series, I would be dropping it right now because, thematically, what else is there. There is no longer the interplay between Slaine and Saazbaum and their view of the princess and the royal family, no conflicting ideals between Asseylum and Saazbaum on the war and the people and we got no deeper meaning as to why Inaho(the character I hated the most given his stoicism without cause) was so calm during the war. In addition, Slaine was characterized by his seeming weakness discrimination due to his origins as a Terran in Vers society. Giving him an Aldnoah Kataphrakt defeats the entire purpose of his character and combined him shooting Inaho for reasons that are bloody unknown or stupid, he has taken a downturn.

I will continue to watch when the continuation comes out but the show has shot itself in the fooot, stumbled into barbed wire, got rats eating at the wound and then set on fire.

Barring some spectacularly retarded "and magic saved them all" scenario (if that happens I'm gonna start breaking shit, you don't kill off the main characters in the season finale and wait to pull that shit next season), we've only got Slaine left. The only way forward I can see from here is Slaine becoming the new hero and fighting Vers because Asseylum died. I honestly thought this was going to be a 24 episode season, then we all got blue-balled.

The only reason I haven't dropped this is because I can't drop it, it's over, season is finished. Maybe this was their plan all along.

Slaine literally ruined everything.

What an idiot.

"Oh hey, I'm the guy who planned to kill the princess, but I'm freeing you because I owe your dad a favor."
"Duh okay"
*Slaine saves Sauce and then Sauce immediately kills the princess*
"OH MY GOD WHY DID YOU KILL THE PRINCESS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Ugh, I have a huge amount of trouble buying Slaine's motivations. So he's now sympathetic to the martians who are still trying to kill the one person he's been trying to protect this whole time? Why? Because of that crap Saazbaum was spewing a few episodes back?

Inaho was a bit on the boring side, but at least he's consistent, the thought of following more of Slaine's wishy-washy, misadventures sounds terrible.

The ending felt like it was included purely for shock value without actually having the buildup required to make it feel earned. It is the kind of ending I hate because we have to either deal with the awful character decisions in the next season or there will some bullshit reset.

On that note one of the theories I saw going around is that Slaine's mech can actually see into/predict the future(based on how he was dodging all the bullets earlier and that everything that happened with the ending was something Slaine had just seen, but had not actually happened yet. Which is the exactly the type of thing I could see happening. Either way its irritating.

Mighty morphing power Saazbaum!

I was expecting a bit more of a build-up to Slaine getting his own Aldnoah Kataphrakt. "He was avoiding getting shot and dived in there for cover" seems a bit anti-climatic. At least Inaho "I have no emotions" Kaizuka didn't get it.

Why did Inaho throw his gun away? And where did he get those giant fists from?

Inaho actually shows some emotion there at the end.

Did Sained just walk away at the end? You have a giant robot Slaine! Use it!

Rather effective credits at the end there.

Oh my god this episode was AMAZING. Not really on it's own but for what's going to happen for the series. Until now it was a really, REALLY conventional mech show. The big "twist" to the formula was that the good guys were stuck using mook mechs to figure out how to beat the bad guy's super robots.

And then here comes Urobuchi Gen with this big shake up and could really explain a lot of things. Slaine's the character that gets the most development out of this and this whole thing sets him up next season as either the new hero, villain or some kind of Obi-wan mentor figure and I'm really interested to see where they take it.

Oh dear god, I know I've quoted this reviewer before but this is so accurate
Analysis of Aldnoah:Zero 12

This could end badly, very very badly

The Urobutcher may have left the building, but he is still here in spirit and will consume your tears all the same!

I'm not sure if the show is putting the blame on Inaho or Slaine for this bullshit. Did Inaho's more utiliatarian philosphosies come back to bite him in the ass, or was Slaine blinded by his emotions (he literally has no pupils after meeting the princess on Mars) which caused him to fail at everything? It looks like the latter to me, but that goes against Urobuchi's style of "utilitarianism is inhumane and emotions are beautiful." Maybe it was both, and the right ideology in a war like this lies somewhere in the middle? I dunno.

But seriously, what the actual fuck was that.

Zak757:

The Urobutcher may have left the building, but he is still here in spirit and will consume your tears all the same!

I'm not sure if the show is putting the blame on Inaho or Slaine for this bullshit. Did Inaho's more utiliatarian philosphosies come back to bite him in the ass, or was Slaine blinded by his emotions (he literally has no pupils after meeting the princess on Mars) which caused him to fail at everything? It looks like the latter to me, but that goes against Urobuchi's style of "utilitarianism is inhumane and emotions are beautiful." Maybe it was both, and the right ideology in a war like this lies somewhere in the middle? I dunno.

But seriously, what the actual fuck was that.

Urobuchi supposedly only was there for the first three episodes so my guess is that we are stuck with an imitation that feels off.

I gotta say, I rather like where the anime is going FINALLY.

Aldnoah Zero is one of those anime that I really want to like based on the concept, but which kind of disappoints me at every turn. Most of the characters are either caricatures or, like Inaho, basically have no personality. The "not gundams" mostly look terrible, or have incredibly stupid abilities, or both.

My biggest problem with the show were Assylum and Inaho. The princess is basically the embodiment of a boring Mary Sue character. She's just so damn idealistic all the time that it's goddamn boring to watch her. She's like the personification of a Care Bear episode. Then on the other side you have Inaho, who is incredibly bland and yet has an incredible combat prowess that comes out of FUCKING NOWHERE. Seriously, if they'd shown us him doing well in school and getting high marks in his training, being trained in battle strategy, etc. I'd buy it. Instead the anime basically just goes "here, this emotionless husk of a person is super logical which is why he always wins" which is stupid and boring. Not only that, but apparently he's great at EVERYTHING. Piloting a mech? No problem. Battlefield strategy? Perfect. CPR? Clearly he's the only qualified person on a battleship full of soldiers who have more training than him. He's a boring character, BORING.

Honestly, the only characters I found particularly interesting were Slaine, the traumatized LT (although we all know where that story is going to go), and the Martian girl who tried to kill the princess. All of them are still alive, and will probably be taking the spotlight now, that the walking cliches have been killed off, so the show can only get better from here on out (one would hope).

Izanagi009:

Eh, I disagree with some of their analysis, like Asseylum being immortal. If she was immortal than why would being strangled have killed her? Why would there be a war over her being killed if every person who controlled Aldnoah was immortal? How would any of the knights have died if they were all immortal from the Aldnoah?

That's not to say that it's totally impossible that this is where they're going with the story, but it would be pretty damn illogical. Of course a lot of anime and manga writers don't tend to dwell too much on logic in their stories, which can be both a blessing and a curse depending on the competence of said writer.

I liked the final episode contrary to the majority of fans that hated it.

I am looking forward to see which way they will go in the second season. There aren't many anime's that decide to kill two main characters half way through the story. I also like them being unpredictable..so yeah I totally didn't expect that to happen at the end.

With that said..there are rumours that the Asseylum might not be dead because her body was not found and she only got shot in the right side of her chest thus avoiding her heart. The second bullet I speculate grazed her cheek because it hit her on her peripheral thus only grazing her cheek.

I've recently heard from a friend that told me that Gen Urobuchi spoke out towards the finale of episode 12 saying..

Urobuchi Gen: "Aldnoah's final episode isn't my fault." "In my original scenario, the final episode saw Inaho and Asseylum 'becoming lovers' before she gets taken away by Slaine."

The Psycho-Pass thing is also about how whatever happens is not his fault - it's Ubukata's.

Just to make it clearer this roughly says: "If you're ahead [of Psycho Pass], it is not my fault if someone also dies in Psycho Pass 2! It is Ubukata-san's."

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1275457

DarkhoIlow:
I liked the final episode contrary to the majority of fans that hated it.

I am looking forward to see which way they will go in the second season. There aren't many anime's that decide to kill two main characters half way through the story. I also like them being unpredictable..so yeah I totally didn't expect that to happen at the end.

With that said..there are rumours that the Asseylum might not be dead because her body was not found and she only got shot in the right side of her chest thus avoiding her heart. The second bullet I speculate grazed her cheek because it hit her on her peripheral thus only grazing her cheek.

I've recently heard from a friend that told me that Gen Urobuchi spoke out towards the finale of episode 12 saying..

Urobuchi Gen: "Aldnoah's final episode isn't my fault." "In my original scenario, the final episode saw Inaho and Asseylum 'becoming lovers' before she gets taken away by Slaine."

The Psycho-Pass thing is also about how whatever happens is not his fault - it's Ubukata's.

Just to make it clearer this roughly says: "If you're ahead [of Psycho Pass], it is not my fault if someone also dies in Psycho Pass 2! It is Ubukata-san's."

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1275457

Honestly, the story is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they are alive, then all suspension of disbelief is broken, Slaine is framed in a way contrary to his thematic purpose, and Inaho will remain the sodding Gary Sue. If they are dead, the thematic interactions are gone, we will focus on characters that are not nearly fleshed out (and yet somehow, they will still be more entertaining than Inaho), and Slaine will be seen as a bitter idiot.

I will watch the second season in the way I watched Valvrave: as a massive train wreak waiting to happen for pure schadenfreude.

Izanagi009:

Umm, no. Nobody is coming back to life.

The show's tagline, "Let justice be done, though the heavens fall," is a reference to Piso's Justice. Asseylum: the one whose sentence had already been passed, Saazbaum: the one who failed in his duty, and Inaho: the one responsible for the deaths of the two former (from Slane's point of view). Urobuchi (he's not currently writing but he created the outline) loves to fill his anime with tons of literary references, like Faust with Madoka or a billion different books with Psycho Pass.

Inaho got shot square in the face and was completely motionless. He's gone.

Zak757:

Izanagi009:

The show's tagline, "Let justice be done, though the heavens fall," is a reference to Piso's Justice. Asseylum: the one whose sentence had already been passed, Saazbaum: the one who failed in his duty, and Inaho: the one responsible for the deaths of the two former (from Slane's point of view). Urobuchi (he's not currently writing but he created the outline) loves to fill his anime with tons of literary references, like Faust with Madoka or a billion different books with Psycho Pass.

Urobuchi only wrote episode 1-3 and the gist of it.

Also Asseylem has "died" like what, 3 times?

I think my reaction was along the lines of "Wait, what? What? Huh, didn't see that coming. Is there a post-credit... no. Huh."

Zak757:

Izanagi009:

While that is a nice reference and would make sense for Urobuchi, I'm not sure it's execution is up to snuff. The issue with something like this is that it requires a much longer time to establish; hell Makishima didn't face retribution until the last episode after playing up the conflict between him and Kogami for the whole series. This felt too quick for some reason and I'm not sure who will replace Inaho, Asseylum, and Saazbaum thematically.

There also is a sticking point of Inaho himself. As far as I can tell, almost all of the cold logical characters that Urobuchi writes tend to be either villians like Kyuuby or brutal anti-heros like Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero and are framed as wrong due to them ignoring human nature. Inaho keeps being framed in a positive light not a critical one so the character writing itself also seems off.

Dirty Hipsters:
Not only that, but apparently he's great at EVERYTHING. Piloting a mech? No problem.

A training mech at that. One that seems to be more capable than anything else used by the United Earth Army. I was half expecting the last episode to consist of the Earth mechs being painted and then wrecking shit because Martian mechs seem to be weak against the colour orange.

First off. Nothing is really sure. All of us should wait until the second season(Actually it's still one season, but divided into two parts)in January.

Here's what I think : The princess is not dead. She went missing, that means that Slaine got her with him in Mars.Also the bullet didn't hit her head, so I kinda believe that she's still alive. Inaho? Well, I'm not sure about him. I want to see him alive. You can't just kill the main character like that. If he's not alive, I mean in the moment that the first episode one of the next season shows us that he didn't survive, I will stop watching the entire season...Immediately. Personally I like characters like him, and seeing him dead especially after the final moment where Inaho finally showed some feelings for someone (The princess)...No!, NO! , NO! , NO! ,FUCKING NO!!. I can't accept to see him being dead. Every time I think about him being dead, it's just like a knife hitting my stomach.....

Also this sentence said by Urobuchi Gen: "Aldnoah's final episode isn't my fault." "In my original scenario, the final episode saw Inaho and Asseylum 'becoming lovers' before she gets taken away by Slaine.", makes me kinda hope a bit, maybe they will eventually follow his ideas but they might transform them to add more tension and to keep fans shocked until the next part of the season... Maybe Inaho is in coma. That's possible..... I don't know, but again I will be really pissed off and sad in the same time if Inaho is really dead. Let's just wait and hope that both he and the princess are still ALIVE, in a way or in an other...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked