Pro GamerGate Writer Sent Syringe Through Mail

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So this Breibert writer, Milo Yiannopoulos, was sent a syringe through the mail, presumably for being a massive supporter of GG. Here's the pics and the tweets involved:

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/513666683916255232/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Nero/status/513667076318588928/photo/1

Is he hypocritical for calling out Anita for (presumably) announcing her threats for publicity? (Fuck that used "for" a lot")
Is it justified because it goes far beyond digital or analog (phone) threats and into the physical realm?

Discuss. At the very least, I think we can agree that this is beyond fucked up. False flag or not. Breaking several federal laws takes some giant nuts though.

chadachada123:
Is he hypocritical for calling out Anita for (presumably) announcing her threats for publicity? (Fuck that used "for" a lot")
Is it justified because it goes far beyond digital or analog (phone) threats and into the physical realm?

Well, yeah, it's hypocritical and some of the Sarkeesian threats specified her address. But, I don't his hypocrisy is really an issue people should be concerned with at all, given the circumstances. The real issue is rather bigger.

OTOH, the way this is treated by people not actually involved, but just giving their two cents...accusations of hypocrisy could well have a place there.

Wait, the syringe was still in the packet?

Well, that completely defeats the bloody point then doesn't it?!

Isn't the idea of this sort of thing that you send someone a syringe that could have something nasty in it and that they could have pricked themselves on? Y'know, as opposed to sending someone some sterilised medical apparatus in the mail.

Or am I just insufficiently versed on the finer points of syringe letters?

Waitwaitwait...

Now, timing is suggestive, but how does he know that this is about Gamergate? Didn't lots of people have him even before this came out? For that matter, is Gamergate the only thing he's been rustling feathers about recently?

Now, this is obviously very wrong, not trying to minimise that, but it seems a conclusion is being jumped to.

Zhukov:

Isn't the idea of this sort of thing that you send someone a syringe that could have something nasty in it and that they could have pricked themselves on? Y'know, as opposed to sending someone some sterilised medical apparatus in the mail.

I think the point is to tell the recipient that you know where they live and could harm them, rather than actually trying to harm them.

Zhukov:

I'd imagine the idea is to intimidate, but then I'm also of the impression the threat senders in this whole thing aren't exactly seasoned mafia members sending warning messages you know? :/

OT: I genuinely hope we start hearing about people getting prosecuted for these things soon.

If anything should come from gamergate its that. Cracking down on this kind of shit. I mean I acknowledge the challenge of finding the perpetrators but still...

T0ad 0f Truth:

Zhukov:

I'd imagine the idea is to intimidate, but then I'm also of the impression the threat senders in this whole thing aren't exactly seasoned mafia members sending warning messages you know? :/

OT: I genuinely hope we start hearing about people getting prosecuted for these things soon.

If anything should come from gamergate its that. Cracking down on this kind of shit. I mean I acknowledge the challenge of finding the perpetrators but still...

Seasoned mafia members would have sent something like a ball with multiple needles inside, so he gets pricked just from grabbing it.

T0ad 0f Truth:

Zhukov:

But here's the thing. This is a physical product mailed through either the United States Postal Service, UPS, Fedex, or other form of physical mail carrier. That means that someone had to go to a physical property to deliver this package to be mailed. And from what I've come to understand, mail carriers do not take kindly to such packages being mailed through their services. And the USPS has their own law enforcement agency specifically for this type of crime. Heck, if Milo wanted to make this an issue, he could even get the DEA involved and claim that someone tried to send him drugs possibly. But if he hasn't, he definitely needs to inform the police. Otherwise he's an idiot if he doesn't.

Wait, someone got a Syringe from the mail due to his opinion on game related issues?

DEAR LORD, LIFE GET IT PLEASE YOU DISGUSTING SON OF A WHORE, my god, please find this person and kill him, remove his genes from the pool, we arent talking about politics or crime, just FUCKING GAMES, if a person think this is so important to actually threat people, They need to die, no discussions, they dont have a realistic views of the values of things.

InsanityRequiem:

T0ad 0f Truth:

Zhukov:

But here's the thing. This is a physical product mailed through either the United States Postal Service, UPS, Fedex, or other form of physical mail carrier. That means that someone had to go to a physical property to deliver this package to be mailed. And from what I've come to understand, mail carriers do not take kindly to such packages being mailed through their services. And the USPS has their own law enforcement agency specifically for this type of crime. Heck, if Milo wanted to make this an issue, he could even get the DEA involved and claim that someone tried to send him drugs possibly. But if he hasn't, he definitely needs to inform the police. Otherwise he's an idiot if he doesn't.

Well I meant the harrassment we've been hearing about more generally, the doxxing and threats and worse stuff, but yeah. He should take this to the officials immediately.

chadachada123:

T0ad 0f Truth:

Zhukov:

Seasoned mafia members would have sent something like a ball with multiple needles inside, so he gets pricked just from grabbing it.

Nah, I'm thinking they more would've went to his house and burnt it down or beat the crap out of him if it were the mob... They're brutally efficient in their threats O_O

Zhukov:

I think it must have been wrapped back up in its packaging before being posted (but not re-sealed). Look closely, it has a small amount of 'something' in it.

I helped to empty out an old doctors surgery a while back, syringes and needles often come in different packets. You need to open them up and put them together yourself.

The title is confusing. It should read "Pro-Gamergate Writer Was Sent Syringe Through Mail" or "Pro-Gamergate Writer Recieved Syringe Through Mail." It reads as if Milo himself sent it.

This is why you shouldn't ignore death threats. You never know what kind of crazy is on the other side of the screen.

Also, the postal service seriously dropped the ball on this one. I thought mail was continuously screened. How would a needle filled with liquid get through undetected?

EDIT: (Why do I always edit my damn posts)

This situation is seriously getting out of hand. Maybe we should all just let this go for a while. How horrible would you feel if someone actually got killed over this GamerGate thing? Yes, I know I'm basically saying out loud "The Terrorists Win," (and make no mistake, the person who sent this is a goddamn terrorist) but sometimes it's just better to not provoke people.

EDIT
On the topic of this, are DDoS attacks responsible for the "Thousand Replies" bug?

This is bizarre.

Like, as an intimidation tactic this is just stupid. Since he opened it anyway they could have sent anything, bomb, itching powder, I dunno. But they sent a syringe? Without a cap on it? Through the Post? And it was Delivered? On a... hang on, he lives in England, right? I thought there wasn't Post on sundays? How the... what the hell's happening?

Okay, look, whatever the hell the situation is, he needs to call the police. He needed to when he got the toilet paper since that meant leaked home address and harassment, and that would have been easier to track since he most likely got the invoice with the package. But now? To hell with all the "Look what a fragile waif Anita is for being upset that someone threatened to carve out her genitals and drink blood out of them, let us all laugh." He needs to take this serious.

Milo, whatever you think of his journalistic acumen, needs to notify the authorities yesterday.

Edit: For god's sake, is he now making fun of all the GamerGate people who got Doxx/Harrassed?

Anyway. Won't be making a big song and dance. But it's worth keeping "threats" in perspective. Some of us *actually get them*. #GamerGate

And now he's tweeting about watching Homeland, plugging the Podcast he just started to keep talking about GamerGate, the article about why everyone wants to fuck him, and eating fried Mars bars... Okay, all threats should be taken seriously, and the fact that he's not at all? I'm not saying he did make it up, I'm saying this is how you'd behave if you made it up.

If it's not a hoax, which whatever I think about the man as a journalist I'm willing to accept, then he needs to take shit seriously, particularly if he's not the only one being targeted like this.

Either someone is trolling him, or he's just lying. People don't send serious death threats for things like that. They either kill you or they don't.

Adam Jensen:
Either someone is trolling him, or he's just lying. People don't send serious death threats for things like that. They either kill you or they don't.

I personally think it's what the other guy said, just an intimidation tactic more than anything else. It's really hard to tell when there isn't a note attached. Even if it was a death threat, (s)he's probably way too far away for murder to be possible, or doesn't think (s)he could away with it.

(Frankly, I'd give myself a 90% chance of getting away with murder so long as they aren't a relative or friend or well-known person.).

RexMundane:
Edit: For god's sake, is he now making fun of all the GamerGate people who got Doxx/Harrassed?

Anyway. Won't be making a big song and dance. But it's worth keeping "threats" in perspective. Some of us *actually get them*. #GamerGate

And now he's tweeting about watching Homeland, plugging the Podcast he just started to keep talking about GamerGate, the article about why everyone wants to fuck him, and eating fried Mars bars... Okay, all threats should be taken seriously, and the fact that he's not at all? I'm not saying he did make it up, I'm saying this is how you'd behave if you made it up.

If it's not a hoax, which whatever I think about the man as a journalist I'm willing to accept, then he needs to take shit seriously, particularly if he's not the only one being targeted like this.

People under stress act weirdly. Also, one of the tactics that the threatened may use is to act as if they aren't phased in the least.

That being said, he's a complete dick. Why does he continue to disregard Zoe's claims when he was forced to admit she really did contact the FBI and they really are investigating the incident? Now that he's on the receiving end, you'd think he'd be more sympathetic.

Hypocrite? Yes. But seeing as how I don't see an issue with taking this kind of stuff public, I don't really care that he did. On the other hand, I hope he's contacted the authorities so an investigation can be started. I may not like the guys politics, but that is just uncalled for.

First off he needs to take it to the authorities (he possibly has but has been advised against sharing details of the investigation) second off, do we know it's Gamergate related, I mean lets face it the guy has some... controversial opinions, and writes for freaking Breitbart. I'm sure he has a whole bunch of people pissed at him at any given time.

Zhukov:

if that happened to me it would probably go right over my head...

all that said it does like..."used"

OT: yeah it would be hypocritical (hypo? hehehe...ok no) but still this kind of bullshit is unacceptable

So, um... How do we know this was because of GG? Was a note sent with it, or something? Because Milo has been writing for Brietbart and other neo-conservative sites long before he got involved in GG, and has said a number of quite... controversial things over the years.

PainInTheAssInternet:

EDIT
On the topic of this, are DDoS attacks responsible for the "Thousand Replies" bug?

Not really (that has been an existing problem with the site for years, along with the "suddenly hundreds of pages on a thread" bug, and the "entire pages of group chat suddenly disappear until someone posts something" bug), but it might have exacerbated that already existing issue.

thaluikhain:

Well, yeah, it's hypocritical and some of the Sarkeesian threats specified her address. But, I don't his hypocrisy is really an issue people should be concerned with at all, given the circumstances. The real issue is rather bigger.

I think both issues should be thought about, though. This should be a teachable moment. I doubt any of the people bitching about Anita responding to threats are knocking this guy.

But yes, there is also the larger issue that this shit needs to stop. Period.

BreakfastMan:
So, um... How do we know this was because of GG? Was a note sent with it, or something? Because Milo has been writing for Brietbart and other neo-conservative sites long before he got involved in GG, and has said a number of quite... controversial things over the years.

We don't. But if there's one thing we've learned this week, it's that a lack of information won't stop people from jumping to conclusions.

Guys, this is Breitbart we're talking about. It is a website founded by somebody known for faking news in order to achieve political goals (EG: The Acorn scandal.)

Milo himself has very dodgy ethics, founding the Kernel which hired people and then didn't pay them.

One should also note he has a history of things like hoping G20 protesters get beaten up by the police - and then deleting the tweet when that happens and it results in the death of a protester.

As a lot of people have noted, how do you know this GG related?

There are plenty of people out there who have plenty of reason to hate Milo - like his former staff.

Also it is pretty damn telling that your side's writers are known for saying things like, "We write about how tech is changing the world around us. You write about how many cocks you've sucked this week. Back off."

Regardless of all the speculation, what we know is that a reporter who is sympathetic to GamerGate was sent an unknown substance in a syringe. The fact that the syringe is clearly loaded means its sender filled, repacked, and then sent it.

That, in and of itself, is illegal due to the numerous ways in which standard postal handling can bend soft-packet envelopes like this one was. Even if the needle wasn't sent "rigged to prick", postal handling could have jarred it free so that it did so anyway, or broken the syringe thus causing release of whatever chemicals are inside.

We know it wasn't a deliberate assassination attempt. But we also know there is no reason for it to have been sent, other than as making a threat of physical harm. Is it likely that this was NOT sent by someone opposed to his pro-GamerGate stance? Yes... just as likely as that it was.

So, whoever sent the needle knows where Yiannopoulos lives and has access to whatever is inside that needle. I don't believe this has anything to do with GG, but people have done worse for less.

Wait, how exactly can someone be 'Pro-Gamergate'? That's a gross abuse of the English language if ever I heard one. Would you say "Pro-Watergate" or "Pro-Contragate"?

Behold your champion GG! A sexist (this part isn't up for debate anymore) douchebag who writes for a conservative rag.

Seriously this guy is just about the worst. That said it doesn't excuse threats against his safety via mail. Hope he doesn't feel too hypocritical to report this to the authorities so they can have a try at finding the person who did this.

BreakfastMan:

"neo" conservative?

...being conservative is one thing (and certainly not a bad thing in of itself) but when you add the preface "neo" it raises some redflags

Bruce:
Guys, this is Breitbart we're talking about. It is a website founded by somebody known for faking news in order to achieve political goals (EG: The Acorn scandal.)

"Known for" and "believed to" are not synonymous terms.

Nor do I intend to derail matters, but bringing up the Acorn Scandal as an "example" of "faking news" is rather silly, since in fact even the mainstream news media came to similar conclusions about how Acorn was running things. So did the organization's own donors, who subsequently withheld their funding, helping lead to ACORN's closure.

Attempting to character-assassinate Mr. Yannipoulos, by dragging in these old debunked claims unrelated to his reporting, is simply silly. Heck, just acknowledging how many "guilt by association" tropes you tripped over would make that evident.

Azure23:
Behold your champion GG! A sexist (this part isn't up for debate anymore) douchebag who writes for a conservative rag.

"This isn't up for debate anymore" is the standard routine of anyone who wants to make an unfounded claim and not have it challenged.

I've heard it from UFO nuts, JFK assassination theorists, Flat-Earthers, and people who think the planet is 6000 years old.

EDIT: Not to mention that you come across as supporting the needle being sent. That's what this thread is about, but instead of discussing that sort of unacceptable behavior, you seem to present the idea that Mr. Yannipoulous is a bad man and therefore...? What? That he deserves this kind of treatment?

Vault101:

BreakfastMan:

"neo" conservative?

...being conservative is one thing (and certainly not a bad thing in of itself) but when you add the preface "neo" it raises some redflags

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism

"Neo-conservative" (as well as "Dark Enlightenment", which Yiannopoulos could easily be argued to be a part of) refers to a specific political movement in the US, of which Milo Yiannopoulos is ostensibly a member of.

BreakfastMan:
"Neo-conservative" (as well as "Dark Enlightenment", which Yiannopoulos could easily be argued to be a part of) refers to a specific political movement in the US, of which Milo Yiannopoulos is ostensibly a member of.

Speaking as a self-described conservative centrist (I support your rights to both abortions AND guns), I've never heard of this "Dark" whatever nonsense you're talking about. I rather imagine that if I were to bother Googling it, I would find tons of references --- all on anti-conservative opinion boards.

Frankly, I was around when the term "neo-conservative" was invented, and THAT came from left-wing opinion blogs as a means of describing a nebulous Right-Wing Conspiracy. The same, in fact, as that touted by Ms. Clinton in her long-ridiculed "vast right-wing conspiracy" statement. The further one goes into the theories about "neo-conservatism", the more it sounds like a simplistic rehashing of the old "Freemason/Skull and Bones Society/Trilateral Commission" nonsense that's been making the same conspiracy-nut rounds for over a century now.

Calbeck:

Azure23:

"This isn't up for debate anymore" is the standard routine of anyone who wants to make an unfounded claim and not have it challenged.

I've heard it from UFO nuts, JFK assassination theorists, Flat-Earthers, and people who think the planet is 6000 years old.

EDIT: Not to mention that you come across as supporting the needle being sent. That's what this thread is about, but instead of discussing that sort of unacceptable behavior, you seem to present the idea that Mr. Yannipoulous is a bad man and therefore...? What? That he deserves this kind of treatment?

Did you just stop reading my comment? Literally two sentences later I said that this kind of behavior was terrible and I hope the person who did it gets caught. Please don't put words in my mouth. And dude has literally said "men are better than women at tech, it's a fact." That's sexist, by any definition I can find. He's not exactly trying to hide his dumb views. And once again, I said "this guy is an asshole, still doesn't deserve this." I'm not gonna get into an argument with someone who can't even be bothered to read a four line post in its entirety before knee jerking all over the place.

Also you know some colorful people, I've only ever met a young earther out of the group described, he had some pretty hilarious Christian Science apologetics though.

Bruce:

And at this point, how is this different from the Quinnspiracy accusations?

Azure23:

I'm pretty sure that's a feature, not a bug.

Still, is this the best time to be complaining about him?

Azure23:
Did you just stop reading my comment?

When someone starts off with character assassination as a means to derail a thread, yes, I do stop reading. Putting a CYA "oh, this just isn't right" after that is rather pointless, in that it only demonstrates that you posted expressly to vilify the target of an action which even you consider wrong.

Also you know some colorful people, I've only ever met a young earther out of the group described, he had some pretty hilarious Christian Science apologetics though.

I've been on the Internet since the '80s. I've seen every brand of nutcase there is, even ended up meeting a self-described Wiccan who wanted me to go out to the desert on a full moon with him in order to perform a ritual for pulling "lunar healing energy" into a crystal for a wand he was making.

Yeeeah, no, let's not do that fella. -XD

So my type of skepticism is based on noticing the patterns used by conspiracy nuts. It tends to be the same: assert an extreme view, find anything to support it, ignore anything that doesn't, attack same if someone else brings it up, and if backed into a corner without anything better to use, a snarky "isn't it OBVIOUS?" becomes the fallback.

As a result, I tend to reject out of hand anything defamatory said about anyone, followed by doing my own research into the matter if the issue seems important enough.

In this case, what I am seeing is that those few reporters who are treating GamerGate as having serious points to make are being singled out for attacks to discredit them. Very standard, and in common with that, "guilt by association" is also a standard which conspiracy theorists like to trot out.

Example: "9/11 Was an Inside Job". Proponents of this argument claimed that because a member of the Bush family sits on the executive board of a corporation which, as part of its extensive holdings, also held a stake in an airport from which the 9/11 terrorists hijacked their flights... that the Bush family actually waved them through, pointed them to the aircraft, and ensured no security checks were performed. The rallying cry when challenged on any of this? An eyeroll and "isn't it OBVIOUS?".

So yeah. Color me skeptical.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked