Escapist Editors in the Midst of an Exodus?! -Updated-

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

So apparently Greg Tito (the Escapist's EiC), Ross Lincoln, Elizabeth Harper and Carly Smith are leaving the site.

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/557748342860840960

There are also a number of other tweets floating around from different people that seem to corroborate this, including this one:

https://twitter.com/roseofbattle/status/557645405606121473

Greg Tito is also no longer listed as the EiC of the Escapist on his Twitter profile.

Keep in mind that none of this (save Carly's case) is official until the site announces it, but still, Jim Sterling's departure and now this? What the hell's going on at the Escapist?!

Update

According to Greg and Archon it was a budget-related mass layoff. See below:

Archon:
We made some tough decisions yesterday that impacted several staffers from The Escapist, GameTrailers, and GameFront. The contributions of the talented writers and editors we had to let go will definitely be missed. However, all of the properties are continuing to serve the gamer audience going forward. Here at The Escapist, Josh Vanderwall, the managing editor under Greg Tito, will be taking over as the new editor-in-chief. Look for his first editor's note, re-introducing himself to you all, later today.

He also denied the rumors that Defy media was planning to merge its outlets.

Archon:

Fappy:
Is a merger in the cards or is that just speculation? I assume it's not if we're getting a new EiC for the Escapist itself.

It's speculation. All of those properties are aimed at gamers, but each of those properties does different things in different ways for gamers. The goal is to have the sites support each other at each doing what they are best at. So look to see an intra-site re-focusing combined with inter-site cooperation.

While the notion of creating walking tanks with howitzers seems awesome, actually we will have tanks, infantry, and howitzers, and they will work together in a combined-arms task force. This metaphor seems sensible to me but I have been watching a lot of Robotech lately.

The end is nigh? :c

But seriously, I'm at a loss after seeing this. How the hell is this site even going to function at this point?

Why is the Escapist's EiC position seem to be such a damn curse? Seriously, something must be going on behind the scene a lot that causes us to lose so many EiC. It's actually rather concerning to be honest.

But man this site has changed since I joined all those years ago. I remember when I used to see all the news contributions by people with Gold usernames. But now, I only see like one or two and that's it.

More confirmation tweets:

https://twitter.com/Rossalincoln/status/557638225494573057

https://twitter.com/Faience/status/557632303158276096

See Tito's profile blurb:

https://twitter.com/Gregtito

My gut tells me that this was either an expected series of layoffs or an organized walk-out. The site's been bleeding talent for awhile now, so if this was an executive decision it sure was a stupid one. The editorial staff is the backbone of a news outlet and gutting it like this is, well... let's just say I'd be shocked this site still at all resembles the Escapist we know and love once the dust has settled.

Grey and Cory have a special update coming Friday, which they've not really discussed. They've been working of multiple projects outside of The Escapist very recently, such as Bad Dad and Erin Dies Alone. They've been plugging their new Youtube channel and Twitter accounts more often as of late.

Bob said a few months ago that he has big plans for the future, such as consolidating his online work, which with more people leaving The Escapist, makes it sound even more like he may be leaving.

Gavin (I don't follow him, this is just hearsay and checking his feed) has been plugging his online presence outside of The Escapist more recently as well.

I'm not saying that there's a fire, but I'm seeing a lot of smoke. And if there is a fire, well, I think this one could burn down the whole theatre. Susan well over a year ago seemed isolated, but Jim and these three in the span of a few months is suspicious as all hell.

Edit: I'm a terrible person for forgetting Carly. She didn't contribute as much as Jim or Tito, but still, I feel bad about leaving her out.

Jesus. They're just outright hemorrhaging people at this point.

That many people all at once strikes me as too many to be a coincidence. That's looks like either a lay-off or a walk-out.

At this juncture Yahtzee could probably single-handedly kill the site if he felt like it.

I'm usually one to roll my eyes at cries of, "The end is nigh", but at this point I'd say it's definitely time to start looking for a fallback position at the very least.

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Healthy population, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?

Zhukov:

That many people all at once strikes me as too many to be a coincidence. That's looks like either a lay-off or a walk-out.

At this juncture Yahtzee could probably single-handedly kill the site if he felt like it.

I'm usually one to roll my eyes at cries of, "The end is nigh", but at this point I'd say it's definitely time to start looking for a fallback position at the very least.

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Plenty of members, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?

If I had the time (and expertise) I'd start one at this point D:

I'm in panic mode!

Fappy:
I'm in panic mode!

I know what you mean. The Escapist has been my rock in the storm since 2008. Well that and a pet that died in 2014[1]. I've been a part of many forums that died, but if The Escapist goes, it'll be the most painful loss yet.

[1] P.S. If you don't have a pet, get one. Just trust me on that. I like cats myself, but even a rabbit or a small rodent like a gerbil or a mouse are great pets if you're willing to treat them correctly. Just generally something you can show affection towards. I've never been without a pet in my life until 2014, so I was able to learn what its like when you don't have something to love and hold onto. It fucking sucks. Having a pet is just good for your psychological health.

Like rats from a sinking ship.

R.I.P Escapist, I knew you well.

How long before Yahtzee follows Jim's lead, I wonder? Because Jim is getting significantly more money through crowd funding than he ever got from working here.

IceForce:
Like rats from a sinking ship.

R.I.P Escapist, I knew you well.

How long before Yahtzee follows Jim's lead, I wonder? Because Jim is getting significantly more money through crowd funding than he ever got from working here.

Keep in mind those numbers are not 100% accurate. Kind of like Kickstarter, a lot of those payments won't end up going through. I am sure it's not off by a significant amount, but I honestly doubt he was making 6k a month working for the Escapist.

Fappy:
Keep in mind those numbers are not 100% accurate. Kind of like Kickstarter, a lot of those payments won't end up going through. I am sure it's not off by a significant amount, but I honestly doubt he was making 6k a month working for the Escapist.

In addition, Patreon takes 5% of all money earned and then you also have to pay a (relatively small) amount in order to actually get whatever money is left.

Interesting, a site shakeup. Hmm, wonder what direction they have in mind with so many positions opening up.

Not sure the "rats" comment is very nice towards them though, or entirely accurate. On one hand, it suggests they are fleeing like, well, rats. Not very kind description of them. On the other, it suggests they had the choice, which I am not sure of if it was voluntary. I guess we will see what happens when they release more info.

Fappy:

Zhukov:

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Plenty of members, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?

I'm in panic mode!

Okay guys, we need to organise a rendezvous point if everything here goes tits up. XD

Also, with the way this site has been going, I hope these people chose to leave rather than getting pushed out.

Marter:

Fappy:

In addition, Patreon takes 5% of all money earned and then you also have to pay a (relatively small) amount in order to actually get whatever money is left.

Plus he most likely has more expenses now than when he could depend on some support and integration under the Escapist company.

I'm really bummed about all this.

I'm kinda panicking here since I've met some really awesome people here and I don't know what to do if this place was just gone.

I have no idea what the hell is going on around here, but I don't like it. D:

Colour Scientist:

Okay guys, we need to organise a rendezvous point if everything here goes tits up. XD

Damn right we do!

Colour Scientist:

Fappy:

Zhukov:

I'm in panic mode!

Also, with the way this site has been going, I hope these people chose to leave rather than getting pushed out.

Gamefaqs? I kid i kid.

Edit Rossa leaving doesn't worry me much since he hadn't been posting many new stories lately anyway. Tito leaving is a blessing since after Susan left and he came in the site to a drop in quality in my opinion.

Darks63:

Edit Rossa leaving doesn't worry me much since he hadn't been posting many new stories lately anyway. Tito leaving is a blessing since after Susan left and he came in the site to a drop in quality in my opinion.

I have things against Susan, so respectfully I cannot agree.

OT: And now, with all the staff departing, I can seize control!

Didn't Tito become Editor in Chief not too long ago?
This has me rather worried.

FalloutJack:

Darks63:

I have things against Susan, so respectfully I cannot agree.

OT: And now, with all the staff departing, I can seize control!

It seems like more bad has happened under Him then Under Susan I know it can be unfair to blame those in charge.

Carly Smith Aka roseofpostingstoriesthatcauseflamewars is leaving? Grumpy cat gives a emphatic GOOD!

Thorn14:
https://twitter.com/Gregtito/status/557595806329749505

Sounds like a mass firing.

:(

But seriously I wish them all the best. I really do wonder what this means for The Escapist and why this is happening.

Thorn14:

But the only people who can fire Greg, would be someone high up at Defy Media, like @Archon .

I don't get it, Archon co-founded this site. Why would he systematically destroy it?
Unless he was worried that he'd created his own Frankenstein's SJW Monster.

Story:

Thorn14:

:(

But seriously I wish them all the best. I really do wonder what this means for The Escapist and why this is happening.

I can only guess from a lack of ability to pay employees, if that's the case.

They've had this problem before, as many people remember, but not to this much of an extreme.

Really, though. Hoping the community will at least still be able to function as it has been for years. Don't want these forums to go the way of the dodo.

IceForce:

Thorn14:

But the only people who can fire Greg, would be someone high up at Defy Media, like @Archon .

I don't get it, Archon co-founded this site. Why would he systematically destroy it?

I can think of 20 reasons for a reason for mass firing in Defy Media that makes more sense than worrying about creating "Frankenstein's SJW Monster"

https://twitter.com/philrowen/status/557792379177295874

GT and File Front hit as well.

Mass firings abound it seems.

IceForce:

Thorn14:

Yes, the SJWs ruined everything. They must be robbed of the ability to voice their opinion like everyone else.

I seriously can't think of it being anything more than The Escapist falling on even harder times than it was already in. But I know nothing about the inner workings of Defy Media, so I think I'll just wait for some more concrete statements, either from the ex-staff, or from the company itself.

I was wondering why there was a surge of people going to ship2block20.com as of late, they linked me over to this thread.

People are speculating that this is a merger between FileFront,GT,and Escapist, which is why an EiC is being fired because you don't need multiple.

Zhukov:

I always felt like that was the case anyway but....well anyway

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Healthy population, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?

unfortunately no I think I posted on NeoGaf once and hated their discussion structure...destructoid just looks like a clusterfuck

ehh life moves on....

Fappy:

snip!

Fiz_The_Toaster:
snip do!

Colour Scientist:
out.

start a user group

call it the Escapist Exodus or the Escapist bugout group

monitor situation and mobalise plans from there

...what the heck am I doing with my life?

If I had to take a guess I expect it's money, but I also think it's a bad case of trickle up effect, as the money that this site generates heading toward their parent company instead of back into site infrastructure, then when producer funding means came into being, those that was snubbed or who had the fan base strong enough to break away did. Now that they left and the ad revenue and subscriptions dwindled the parent company started pink slipping the management to keep the good times rolling for them as they drank this here site dry.

I expect either they chose not to drop money back down into the Escapist leaving whoever the next poor sod to find new talent using pretty words and hope, while the forums chug along for a bit longer, or..

OR, go full steam the other way and do a full site relaunch with "new" talent and direction, and demographic in hopes of garnering a bigger slice of the pie without having to take responsibility for this turn or give any actual words to the fans and patrons.

All and all, the net is starting to look rather bleak from where I'm sitting, as sites like Channel Awesome and the Escapist start to break apart at the seems..

edit: With the knowledge that other sites have got pink carded, I'll take this to be a merger like was mentioned. When you have to many sites and not enough money you cull the weak and cram the rest together under the banner of the strongest brand name. I wonder if the Escapist'll still be a site as we know it by next year.

Armadox:
If I had to take a guess I expect it's money, but I also think it's a bad case of trickle up effect, as the money that this site generates heading toward their parent company instead of back into site infrastructure, then when producer funding means came into being, those that was snubbed or who had the fan base strong enough to break away did. Now that they left and the ad revenue and subscriptions dwindled the parent company started pink slipping the management to keep the good times rolling for them as they drank this here site dry.

I expect either they chose not to drop money back down into the Escapist leaving whoever the next poor sod to find new talent using pretty words and hope, while the forums chug along for a bit longer, or..

OR, go full steam the other way and do a full site relaunch with "new" talent and direction, and demographic in hopes of garnering a bigger slice of the pie without having to take responsibility for this turn or give any actual words to the fans and patrons.

All and all, the net is starting to look rather bleak from where I'm sitting, as sites like Channel Awesome and the Escapist start to break apart at the seems..

Ship2Block20 forums are slowly building depending on what you are looking for if you want to build a new but their is not that many people their at this point.

Well, there goes my geek haven. Great!

Now what am I gonna do with all this useless knowledge and nitpicking!?

Seriouslly though, I guess nothing lasts forever, but echoing the sentiments of others, it would really suck if this place just got shut down. *fingers crossed* Please don't...

Casual Shinji:
Well, there goes my geek haven. Great!

Now what am I gonna do with all this useless knowledge and nitpicking!?

Seriouslly though, I guess nothing lasts forever, but echoing the sentiments of others, it would really suck if this place just got shut down. *fingers crossed* Please don't...

Don't worry Shinji, I'll do everything in my power to ensure you have somewhere to gush about Eva no matter what happens XD

Umm... what the heck is going on? I'm more than a little worried right now... the Escapist is basically my online home, I don't want to see this kind of thing happening D:

Fappy:
Don't worry Shinji, I'll do everything in my power to ensure you have somewhere to gush about Eva no matter what happens XD

No you won't. You'll just disappoint me... just like my father! JUST LIKE EVERYONE!!! DX

*curls into fetal position*

Casual Shinji:

Fappy:

No you won't. You'll just disappoint me... just like my father! JUST LIKE EVERYONE!!! DX

*curls into fetal position*

STOP BITCHING AND PILOT THE GOD DAMN ROBOT I GAVE YOU!

Ungrateful little brat...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked