Science Please Help: What colour is this dress?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

How I look at the internet sometimes when something stupid happens.

Cause if you're not really here, then the stars don't even matter. Now I'm filled to the top with fear
but it's all just a bunch of matter. Sam Sparro? Black and Gold? Come on people, someone must know it??

Anywho, A dress has caused a storm over the internet. I know, it's a first world issue. Wars could be started from this shit right here.

What colour do you see and it may effect those with colour deficiency.

http://time.com/3725356/dress-blue-black-white-gold/

If someone can explain scientifically why others see gold and white, please explain cause all I see is blue and black.

TL;DR or DC: ABANDON THIS THREAD CAUSE THE ARGUMENT IS AS POINTLESS AS FUCK!!! FLEE THE DANGER!!

My girlfriend freaked out for about two hours tonight over this. The dress is blue and black.

Listen to me, internet.

It's blue and black.

I promise.

I'm always sometimes never correct maybe.

I see Amaranth Red and Arctic Lime (no, I didn't look up pretentious color names in Wikipedia, shut up).

Get on my level, peasants.

It looks lilac, with ochre broderies.

Looks like a light purple and gold to me, but that could just be the lighting making white look like a light purple.

No idea how someone could see this as black and blue you freak.

Haha, no, I kid, I kid.

I know the reason this happens.

Basically the photo was taken in really poor lighting and people's eyes actively color correct the photo to what their brain thinks the color was supposed to be. Some people see the light as having desaturated the picture and therefore think that the light purple color is supposed to be blue and the gold is supposed to be black (yeah, light works in weird ways) whereas others see the lighting as having created too much shadow, which made a white dress look light purple.

Stare at this image and then look back at the picture in the OP:

What color does the dress look to you now?

Now refresh the page and try again with this picture:

Now your eyes have seen the same dress as both white and gold and blue and black. Weird huh?

It just has to do with the way people's eye's color correct for different lighting.

Seriously though, anyone who sees the dress as blue and black is wrong though.

Dirty Hipsters:
Looks like a light purple and gold to me, but that could just be the lighting making white look like a light purple.

No idea how someone could see this as black and blue.

the lighting is so fucking shit on this picture.

when you open this up in paint or adobe and use the eyedropper, it comes out to light gray and gold, so white and gold is pretty much what the majority of people see and if we are JUST talking about that picture, then yeah, shit be white and gold.

poll on buzzfeed has 900,000 people clocked in at seeing white and gold:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesish/help-am-i-going-insane-its-definitely-blue?responses#.hwZee6MQe

THIS source however does state/show the dress is blue and black...

which is still bullshit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/origin-of-white-gold-or-black-blue-dress-2015-2?utm_content=bufferdcdaa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

tl;dr:

most people see white and gold, however due to shitty ass lighting, it is in fact black and blue

edit: didn't see you adjust your post before I posted..

ITS WHITE AND GOOOOOOLD

But I saw white and tan/gold. I hope I am not wrong but hey I tried. (I hope this is not an IQ test)

Fappy:
My girlfriend freaked out for about two hours tonight over this. The dress is blue and black.

Listen to me, internet.

It's blue and black.

I promise.

I completely avoided everything about gamergate..didn't post in the megathread, not once.

But this?....I will fucking fight you, THAT PICTURE HAS IT AS WHITE AND GOLD.

GET YOUR CRAZY EYES OUT OF HERE

#whiteandgoldgate

gmaverick019:

Fappy:

Listen to me, internet.

It's blue and black.

I promise.

I completely avoided everything about gamergate..didn't post in the megathread, not once.

But this?....I will fucking fight you, THAT PICTURE HAS IT AS WHITE AND GOLD.

GET YOUR CRAZY EYES OUT OF HERE

#whiteandgoldgate

Naw dawg, it's black and blue fo sho. I even looked up at the super saturated image Dirty Hipster posted and can see the hint of blue in the "white". Also saw some other images floating around of the dress that show it as obviously being blue and black.

EDIT:

I know many are saying that the lighting plays a major role but COME ON. The lighting may be bad but it's not that bad that it goes to the other side of the colour scale.

It's Blue and Black, people!!

Fappy:

Naw dawg, it's black and blue fo sho. I even looked up at the super saturated image Dirty Hipster posted and can see the hint of blue in the "white". Also saw some other images floating around of the dress that show it as obviously being blue and black.

deflections and red herrings filled in this post.

if you can't quote reliable sources, then clearly you should get out of this mega thread, you black&bluegate plebeian.

clearly you are treating this like a non-issue, THIS IS MY IMAGE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE, AS A WHITE AND GOLD INDIVIDUAL, I WON'T TOLERATE THIS.

gmaverick019:

Fappy:

if you can't quote reliable sources, then clearly you should get out of this mega thread, you black&bluegate plebeian.

clearly you are treating this like a non-issue, THIS IS MY IMAGE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE, AS A WHITE AND GOLD INDIVIDUAL, I WON'T TOLERATE THIS.

Is that potato peeling itself? Fucking Christ, that's the most disturbing thing I have seen all day LOL

Fappy:

gmaverick019:

Fappy:

Is that potato peeling itself? Fucking Christ, that's the most disturbing thing I have seen all day LOL

lol indeed, I watched it about 3 times before I believed what I was seeing. It's one of those "how did I get to this side of google images" conclusions.

but if you didn't notice, I did perfectly admit it is black and blue in my original post, I just liked poking fun at this, since I did think it was white and gold originally ^_^

funniest post I saw of this earlier, a keanu reeves meme with "...are black people actually gold people?"

Fappy:

Not only do you get to see a potato peeling itself, you get to see him get murdered (lol edited because I'm a dumb) afterwards!

Also, dress is actually blue and black yo. Totes. Being serious.

Solaire of Astora:
-Snip-

That is some Katamari shit right there XD

gmaverick019:

funniest post I saw of this earlier, a keanu reeves meme with "...are black people actually gold people?"

Please God find me this image.

Fappy:
sorry

my history isn't seeming to come up with it...and my google-fu is only rank 4 right now, sorry :/

for now, here is a rip off:

Holy shit, my user name has never been more relavent to an OP.

Alright, CS, time to shine. Don't fuck it up.

Stand back people, I'm a professional.

*ahem*

It looks like a very pale purple/blue with gold detail in the original image.

Nailed it.

Every time I look at this bloody dress, it's a different color.

What's really interesting, though, is that whatever color it is, it's so strong that I can't imagine it being any other color.

Then the color changes when I look away and I start smelling burnt toast...

Colour Scientist:

*ahem*

Nailed it.

I regret to inform you that we, the Department of Global Color Continuity, are revoking your color science license.

We also suggest that you go see an ophthalmologist.

gmaverick019:

Fappy:
sorry

my history isn't seeming to come up with it...and my google-fu is only rank 4 right now, sorry :/

for now, here is a rip off:

:D

Fappy:

Colour Scientist:

*ahem*

Nailed it.

I regret to inform you that we, the Department of Global Color Continuity, are revoking your color science license.

What?

No, you can't do this to me.

I made colour science. You people would be nowhere with out me!

I was the only one with the guts to carry out those colour experiments on POWs during the war. I made all of the breakthroughs. Me!

You don't even spell it properly!

Colour Scientist:

Fappy:

Colour Scientist:

*ahem*

Nailed it.

What?

I was the only one with the guts to carry out those colour experiments on POWs during the war. I made all of the breakthroughs. Me!

I'm sorry, CS, I really am. I mean listen, just between you and me the guys on the board don't know what the fuck they're talking about. They're all like "but pink is just a shade of red" and blah, blah, blah. Believe me, some of us still remember the people who made the real sacrifices. We remember the true patriots.

I mean this dress thing... it'll be forgotten in no time. Once people have moved on to the next color controversy I'll get your license reinstated. I'll bet my mortgage on it.

It's fucking late...

*raises an eyebrow* I.. can't even see the original image as anything but a desaturated blue and grey (could be black, but the image is pretty faded and thus isn't true black). I don't know how you can see white and gold, as every time I've seen this image it's been the same muddled blue and off black.

Part of me wonders if I'm not getting the joke and those that say white/gold are just taking the piss, an in joke I'm not getting somehow.

Armadox:
Part of me wonders if I'm not getting the joke and those that say white/gold are just taking the piss, an in joke I'm not getting somehow.

That is where I am confused too. Either a very strange inside joke or they actually see gold and white.

The dress in the OP looks light blue and brown/tan. Maybe gold if I squint.

Is this a trick question?

When I first looked at it, it seemed a sort of light lilac and gold, but after looking at this ...

Dirty Hipsters:
[snip]

I can only see blue and black, taken in extremely poor lighting. Seriously, no matter how I look at it, I can no longer see what I originally saw.
With the evidence of many other photos of this same dress, all of them being blue and black with none being white and gold, I will have to conclude that it is just an issue of the photo.

So ... it's blue and black.

Okay, basically? It's ugly. But apart from that, my guess is that the picture-taking procedure did a weirdness and that's where this argument comes from.

Thats not remotely close to black! Definitely white and gold!

Blue and black! Even with the pictures trying to make it look white and gold, my brain says "Nope, don't be a tit. Dat be black and blue."

Clearly green and purple.

"runs"

Colour Scientist:

What?

This is how you become a super villian isn't it? Couple of months from now you're going to build some kind of colour ray that absorbs colour and turns everything monochrome so you're the only one who gets to have colour, like that child in Schindler's List.

I thought it was pale blue and gold but after looking at Dirty Hipster's post it's pretty clear now that it's white and gold.

To me the light colour part look like light blue/ grey/ lilac and maybe white while the dark colour look like gold or brown in my eyes.

Blue and Black yo.

TopazFusion:
I'm not sure where people are getting 'black' from.

Black is a pretty clear-cut color. We're not talking about slightly different shades of aqua/cyan/teal/turquoise here. We're talking about black.

Black is black.

If you see the above color as black, then you might need your eyes tested. Either that or the brightness/color settings on your monitor badly need adjusting.

Check out Dirty Hipsters post and you'll see ;)

Personally I 1st saw it as a light lilac and gold, read through his post, saw the last pic, went back to the top and it had changed into blue and black. Very cool. It now won't actually go back to what I 1st saw

Oh and I had my eyes tested 2 weeks ago and I got the all clear ;)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked