Watching Tom and Jerry as an adult

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This can be a general T&J thread.

I've been watching The Golden Collection, Vol. 1 and the shows still hold up now that I'm much older. But I don't think any of them so far have surpassed the first one, Puss Gets the Boot. It's a shame they only mastered 37 of them in HD. I've watched 13 of them now.

I have two questions.

1. Do cartoons nowadays still have the same exaggerated animations and unrealistic jokes, like body parts stretching to ridiculous proportions and characters floating before realizing there is no more ground? Is that a relic of the past? Because I don't remember any recent ones.

2. How did people actually watch these mini-movies in the forties? Did they just go out for nine minutes of Tom and Jerry or did the animations accompany full motion pictures or other shorts? I can't imagine ever going to the cinema for a short.

I never was too into Tom and Jerry. I mostly watched them when there was nothing else.

Some cartoons have that exaggerated sillyness, but it is far less common. Spongebob did have alot of that though. Ofcourse there are tons of cartoons I refuse to watch because they seem so awful, so maybe there are more than I know.

I am pretty sure cartoons before films was once a common thing (along with news reels). But I wasnt there, so...

1. Depends on the cartoon. Won't see it on something like Archer or Young Justice (unless Plastic Man is appearing), but there's a good chance you'd see it on something like Adventure Time or Spongebob

2. My grandfather, who grew up in Britain, told me when he went to the cinemas there was a news reel, a couple of shorts, and then the feature. And if that scene in Captain America 1 is accurate, the American cinemas did something similar.

Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes solidfyed my love of Slapstick.

I find it hard to watch Tom and Jerry nowadays unless Tom wins, they both win, or they both lose. It doesn't help that Jerry started shit or Tom get disproportionately punished; especially if Tom was in the hands of an abusive owner. They pissed me off even more. Don't even get me started on the bitch of the babysitter who could never do her job.

I love Tom and Jerry. A major example of a ton of cartoons that influenced my perspective of comedy.

Gordon_4:
2. My grandfather, who grew up in Britain, told me when he went to the cinemas there was a news reel, a couple of shorts, and then the feature. And if that scene in Captain America 1 is accurate, the American cinemas did something similar.

That sounds nice. Nicer than commercials and sponsors followed by fifteen minutes of trailers.

The slapstick never gets old, but I really am sick of Tom & Jerry. My biggest gripe is how Jerry is such an insufferable little shit and gets away with a disproportionate amount of bullshit while Tom gets punished, up to and INCLUDING being beheaded(!) in that one episode set in France.

And it seems every time someone makes a movie with these two it always ends up being apocalyptically horrible. The first one certainly was, now they're doing the Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory routine.

Cid Silverwing:
The slapstick never gets old, but I really am sick of Tom & Jerry. My biggest gripe is how Jerry is such an insufferable little shit and gets away with a disproportionate amount of bullshit while Tom gets punished, up to and INCLUDING being beheaded(!) in that one episode set in France.

And it seems every time someone makes a movie with these two it always ends up being apocalyptically horrible. The first one certainly was, now they're doing the Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory routine.

My friend who is an animator told me to watch that trailer at half speed if you can. HOLY crap you can see so many errors.

Jerry's toes fuse when he eats that gummy bear, Wonka does that part where he jabs his cane into the mushroom head but it just pops on screen rather than rising up, Baruka Salt's legs switch sides when she kicks the tree, it's pretty obvious they just slapped colour on the pencil sketches for most of the backgrounds, Wonka's pants look like his leg bones are stabbing out behind his knees when he walks.

It's a treat and a horror if you're an animator or enthusiast.

i was never a fan, they were always the less funny loony tunes to me

Ezekiel:

1. Do cartoons nowadays still have the same exaggerated animations and unrealistic jokes, like body parts stretching to ridiculous proportions and characters floating before realizing there is no more ground? Is that a relic of the past? Because I don't remember any recent ones.

Ed, Edd and Eddy creator did release this pilot shows two months ago. Pray it will be made (it look alright and a homage to the old cartoons like Tom & Jerry).

Since Ezekiels question was answered, just my 2 cents about cartoon.

Maaan, Jerry is a bastard. Granted, Tom doesn't always act as a paragon of virtuous qualities, but overall he just wants to be left alone and sometimes drink milk with his buddies. But nooo, Jerry has to make his life miserable.

Little cheeky piece of rodent crap...

Tom and Jerry is great, but that does not count for the Gene Deitch stuff. I haven't seen all his stuff, but the stuff I have seen... Hooboy.

Not sure I agree. Tom is a dick. He doesn't even wanna eat Jerry most of the time. He just hunts him for sport and plays with his prey. Some of it is horrific from Jerry's point of view. Usually, when Jerry wins, it's justice. I do like the reverse, though, and seeing them team up.

One thing I don't like is seeing the cat and mouse talk extensively. It's just weird.

Ezekiel:
Not sure I agree. Tom is a dick. He doesn't even wanna eat Jerry most of the time. He just hunts him for sport and plays with his prey. Some of it is horrific from Jerry's point of view. Usually, when Jerry wins, it's justice. I do like the reverse, though, and seeing them team up.

One thing I don't like is seeing the cat and mouse talk extensively. It's just weird.

I think that depends on the writer. Tom does often have situations where he's mistreating Jerry and gets what's coming to him, buuuuuut more often than not from what I've seen Jerry is the instigator and often just goes out of his way to make Tom's life miserable. Heck a lot of times Tom is put in a situation where he's just doing his job of trying to get Jerry out of the house because, y'know, he's a cat. I remember one episode in particular where Tom came to inherit a million bucks and Jerry started not only using Tom's money without his permission but lauded it over Tom that if he ever retaliated then he'd lose the fortune. To wit by the end Tom forced Jerry to eat the will and set about beating him senseless.

"You know? I'm throwin' away a million dollars. BUT I'M HAPPY!"

Or there's the one where Tom dies and is told because he tortured that poor mouse his whole life (my arse) he's going to hell unless Jerry forgives him in writing. Jerry refuses to do so.

I kind of hated tom and jerry. Jerry was a massive dick. I kinda hated Sylvester and tweety also, can stand that yellow canari. Now that i think about it, i always wished Wild.E.Coyote would catch the roadrunner. Maybe I'm a sadist?

I like Tom and Jerry... even if the cartoons are rather inconsistent. Sometimes Tom's a jerk picking on Jerry or trying to eat some poor small creature, and sometimes Jerry's the aggressor ruining Tom's day. Am I the only one who gets annoyed by that?

Lufia Erim:
I kind of hated tom and jerry. Jerry was a massive dick. I kinda hated Sylvester and tweety also, can stand that yellow canari. Now that i think about it, i always wished Wild.E.Coyote would catch the roadrunner. Maybe I'm a sadist?

Coyote is sort of a different case then the others because he's not evil, theres no point where he almost eats he road runner and is taunting it before he eats it. He's just hungry, and living in the desert there isn't much to eat but the road runner, a creature that he's out matched physically but he trys to make up that difference with technology... which is a very human thing.

It was painfully unfunny as a child, I can't imagine it improving on a second viewing as an adult.

DudeistBelieve:

Lufia Erim:

Coyote is sort of a different case then the others because he's not evil, theres no point where he almost eats he road runner and is taunting it before he eats it. He's just hungry, and living in the desert there isn't much to eat but the road runner, a creature that he's out matched physically but he trys to make up that difference with technology... which is a very human thing.

I don't know, if the dude has all of that technology then whats the point of chasing the Road Runner, with the stuff he is buying the dude could probably buy enough meat to feed 40 Saiyans

My enjoyment of Tom and Jerry depends on the version/era we're talking about. The earliest ones were rather bland, as they hadn't nailed down the successful elements yet. For me nothing beats the Hanna-Barbera run from the mid-40's to its end in 1958. I'm not familiar with the Gene Deitch shorts, but based on the little I've seen they don't look very good. While I usually adore the work of Chuck Jones, his take on the duo in the 60's just doesn't work for me. It pretty much went downhill from there, with the absolute nadir being that awful movie in the 90's. I haven't bothered watching anything more recent than that.

Ezekiel:

Now that you mention it, I'm hard pressed to think of any modern cartoons that do this. You get momentary facial distortions when a character reacts to something from time to time, but not so much the physics gags. The 90's seemed to be the last bastion of this with the Spielberg cartoons (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid). There seems to have been a move away from the use of slapstick comedy in cartoons due to perceptions of it being "lowbrow" and "too violent."

PapaGreg096:

DudeistBelieve:

Lufia Erim:

I don't know, if the dude has all of that technology then whats the point of chasing the Road Runner, with the stuff he is buying the dude could probably buy enough meat to feed 40 Saiyans

I assume it's because the products he keeps buying usually malfunction and customer service keeps trying to make things right by refunding him in store credit, and it just happens the Acme doesn't sell food.

Or maybe he doesn't want to pay for the shipping.

Vausch:
My friend who is an animator told me to watch that trailer at half speed if you can. HOLY crap you can see so many errors.

Jerry's toes fuse when he eats that gummy bear, Wonka does that part where he jabs his cane into the mushroom head but it just pops on screen rather than rising up, Baruka Salt's legs switch sides when she kicks the tree, it's pretty obvious they just slapped colour on the pencil sketches for most of the backgrounds, Wonka's pants look like his leg bones are stabbing out behind his knees when he walks.

Mother of fuck... It's THAT bad?! ono

Ezekiel:

Usually it's just to satirize those tropes. You'll still see it in some shows with more slapstick humor like Spongebob and the like, but like anything else humor changes over time. Now you'll see more dialog-based humor, pop culture references, and visual gags (visual puns or subversion of expectations). There was a lot more slapstick in the 90s and early 2000s though.

2. How did people actually watch these mini-movies in the forties? Did they just go out for nine minutes of Tom and Jerry or did the animations accompany full motion pictures or other shorts? I can't imagine ever going to the cinema for a short.

Usually movie theaters, until TV came along. Theaters would do cartoon features, which were just a bunch of cartoons run back to back. And they'd show them just before a bigger feature as well. When TV came along some of them were rerun for television, but you'll see a drop in the animation quality for new stuff done from 50s on because of the studios trying to meet the more rigorous airing schedule for television.

Personally, I was never a big fan of Tom and Jerry. I'd watch it if nothing I preferred was on, but it was all samey to me and got old pretty fast. Sometimes the slapstick was creative and the timing was good, but even for a cartoon of its time it was very predictable and repetitive. At least with the Looney Toons you had dialog and character moments to keep things interesting. It's not just "mute slapstick generator A" versus "mute slapstick generator B."

I have some friends who bemoan how cartoons have gotten "soft" and "too PC" in recent years. But as an adult cartoon lover, I don't begrudge things for changing one bit. Yes I loved Rugrats, and Recess, and The Wild Thornberries, and Freakazoid. But newer cartoons are taking new kinds of risks, while taking lessons from the classics and applying them in their own styles. Steven Universe has gay and bisexual characters. Adventure Time keeps the relationship between Finn and Princess Bubblegum unrequited and complex. My Little Pony has taken a largely female-oriented franchise and made it appeal to both genders WITHOUT taking away its femininity. And Gravity Falls is keeping in the tradition of strong character-driven cartoons, as opposed to being situation and humor-driven. And all of these shows are at least in part due to their creators retaining a large say in the show's content and style, as opposed to being completely studio-driven entities.

The new will always replace the old, and there will always be those who think their version is better. And it's okay for them to have a preference. I just get annoyed when people complain about new things on the basis that they aren't the same as what they were before, without paying attention to the current creative climate, audience preferences, and target demographics.

Cid Silverwing:

Vausch:

Yeah, I'm really not kidding. Watch it at half speed. The errors are obvious normally but half speed just makes them SO glaring. The weirdest part to me was it seemed like all the animations with Tom and Jerry were sped up. They just feel unnaturally quick.

DudeistBelieve:

PapaGreg096:

DudeistBelieve:

I assume it's because the products he keeps buying usually malfunction and customer service keeps trying to make things right by refunding him in store credit, and it just happens the Acme doesn't sell food.

It's simpler than that, actually; Wile E Coyote is acting as a money launderer for ACME, who needs a way to wash the kickbacks they're getting from hunting down, but almost never catching, Carmen Sandiego and her gang.

Lufia Erim:

Yeah, they are all brightly coloured annoying tossers that hurt people. Why is it funny when it's a cartoon character, but not when it's a PotUS?

I realized a while ago that any cartoon by Chuck Jones that involved a cat would inevitably involve torturing the cat for one reason or another. There was one cartoon that I distinctly remember watching about a cat just going about his day when a dog just jumps in from out of nowhere and starts barking at him loudly, freaking out the cat. The entire cartoon is basically that, the cat attempting to avoid the dog and going to any lengths to find a safe place to just walk around, only for the dog to find him and scare the everliving shit out of him.

EDIT: Here it is.

Some Tom and Jerry episodes are good, but on the whole I do have to agree that Jerry is a heartless bastard.

I love Road Runner so much more. Life so often feels like what happens to poor Wile E Coyote. Like Murphy's law in action.

It's comforting to watch a cartoon and know that no matter how bad I have it, Wile E Coyote has suffered worse!

Recusant:

It's simpler than that, actually; Wile E Coyote is acting as a money launderer for ACME, who needs a way to wash the kickbacks they're getting from hunting down, but almost never catching, Carmen Sandiego and her gang.

What if Carmen Sandiego really is Road Runner? That would explain why neither can be caught, and also why Carmen and her crew could perform all those physics-defying heists!

Recusant:

DudeistBelieve:

PapaGreg096:

She had a gang?

Vausch:

Cid Silverwing:

Vausch:

Yeah, I'm really not kidding. Watch it at half speed. The errors are obvious normally but half speed just makes them SO glaring. The weirdest part to me was it seemed like all the animations with Tom and Jerry were sped up. They just feel unnaturally quick.

Woooooow. That really is...something. My favorite has to be when Grandpa Joe tosses the candy into Charlie's mouth. It never goes into the mouth, it just shrinks into nothingness on the outside of his cheek.

Lilani:

Ezekiel:

Usually movie theaters, until TV came along.

Yeah, I know. I was just wondering if they accompanied other pictures and if people paid for the short separately. But you and Gordon answered it. Thanks.

DudeistBelieve:

Recusant:

DudeistBelieve:

She had a gang?

...Clearly, someone didn't watch the show; while for once I can't blame you for not knowing this, there was more to the series than the video game.

Yes some cartoons still do the exagerated movement thing but not many of them.

A lot of cartoons now use flash for things and so doing the exaggerated movements of old takes more work than just drawing it. As you can see above, it still happens but just not as much.

Vausch:

Ezekiel:

I think that depends on the writer. Tom does often have situations where he's mistreating Jerry and gets what's coming to him, buuuuuut more often than not from what I've seen Jerry is the instigator and often just goes out of his way to make Tom's life miserable. Heck a lot of times Tom is put in a situation where he's just doing his job of trying to get Jerry out of the house because, y'know, he's a cat. I remember one episode in particular where Tom came to inherit a million bucks and Jerry started not only using Tom's money without his permission but lauded it over Tom that if he ever retaliated then he'd lose the fortune. To wit by the end Tom forced Jerry to eat the will and set about beating him senseless.

"You know? I'm throwin' away a million dollars. BUT I'M HAPPY!"

Or there's the one where Tom dies and is told because he tortured that poor mouse his whole life (my arse) he's going to hell unless Jerry forgives him in writing. Jerry refuses to do so.

Oh, I remember that millionaire episode. The catch was that the will stated Tom shouldn't harm even a mouse, or he would lose the heiritance. Jerry certainly was a colossal jerk in that one (even if the episode started with Tom torturing him)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here