So, apparently WW is pretty good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Samtemdo8:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Samtemdo8:
More reviews are in and so far its positive:

Are women superheroes now? Do I have to get over it?
I hope Salon or The Mary Sue writes an article that tells me how to feel because they said Ghostbusters 2016 was good as well bht I feel like it was terrible depsite being aggresivly told otherwise.

I thought current third wave femenists these days already hate Wonder Woman.

...source?

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

I find that odd since most I've talked to or seen really like Wonder Woman.

I am also confused.

I mean, I've heard criticisms over specific aspects of various characterizations or plot points occasionally, especially regarding the New52, but not the character in general.

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE ARE SAYING IT'S GOOD NOW

I am so happy to have mainstream validation you guys

woops my insecurity is showing

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

...source?

It's not exactly a consensus opinion, but yes, I have seen ostensibly-feminist arguments against Wonder Woman for various reasons, ranging from "she's too attractive" to "she glorifies and fetishizes a masculine concept of violence" to "miniskirts."

It's mostly just people trying to get attention by attacking a character who's generally considered to be a lodestone for positive portrayals of women in comic books.

Edit: Not to say that comic book writers always get Wonder Woman right, (looking at you, Frank Miller) but overall, Wonder Woman is A Good Thing for feminism and for female representation in the comic book industry.

Samtemdo8:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Samtemdo8:
More reviews are in and so far its positive:

I hope Salon or The Mary Sue writes an article that tells me how to feel because they said Ghostbusters 2016 was good as well bht I feel like it was terrible depsite being aggresivly told otherwise.

There are some women/feminists (not necessarily one and the same) who disapprove of Wonder Woman, yes.

But they are in the minority by far.

Wonder Woman is THE superhero(ine) for women and girls all around the world. Mostly because she's practically the only one truly known world wide (in no small part to the character being 80 years old) but also because the character is one they admire.

Seriously, there was an entire generation of girls in the 70's who ran around wearing tinfoil "bracers" pretending to deflect bullets. Millions of 'em. All over the planet. All thanks to the Wonder Woman TV series. Lynda Carter inspired an entire generation of girls to believe that they could be strong and independent by playing a comic book character on TV.

I was alive in the 70's. Back then it was a common consensus that only man haters, ugly women and lesbians could be feminists. If you haven't been around as long then trust me when I say that Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was a game changing series for countless millions from that generation.

I foresee that this movie could readily make $1 billion world wide in the coming weeks and months. Moreover, I foresee Wonder Woman costumes being the preferred choice for girls next Halloween.

Even more popular than Elsa from Frozen! *gasps*

BTW: This was one of the rallying songs of the 70's.

bastardofmelbourne:

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

...source?

It's not exactly a consensus opinion, but yes, I have seen ostensibly-feminist arguments against Wonder Woman for various reasons, ranging from "she's too attractive" to "she glorifies and fetishizes a masculine concept of violence" to "miniskirts."

It's mostly just people trying to get attention by attacking a character who's generally considered to be a lodestone for positive portrayals of women in comic books.

Edit: Not to say that comic book writers always get Wonder Woman right, (looking at you, Frank Miller) but overall, Wonder Woman is A Good Thing for feminism and for female representation in the comic book industry.

Yeah it seems feminist critique has less to do with wonder woman

And more to do with how she's written and portrayed by male writers

Frank Miller is a hack

New 52 sucks

Etc etc

undeadsuitor:

bastardofmelbourne:

undeadsuitor:
...source?

Frank Miller is a hack

New 52 sucks

Etc etc

Eh I have yet to see anything that truly makes the New 52 that abysmmal.

Basement Cat:

Samtemdo8:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

There are some women/feminists (not necessarily one and the same) who disapprove of Wonder Woman, yes.

But they are in the minority by far.

Wonder Woman is THE superhero(ine) for women and girls all around the world. Mostly because she's practically the only one truly known world wide (in no small part to the character being 80 years old) but also because the character is one they admire.

Seriously, there was an entire generation of girls in the 70's who ran around wearing tinfoil "bracers" pretending to deflect bullets. Millions of 'em. All over the planet. All thanks to the Wonder Woman TV series. Lynda Carter inspired an entire generation of girls to believe that they could be strong and independent by playing a comic book character on TV.

I was alive in the 70's. Back then it was a common consensus that only man haters, ugly women and lesbians could be feminists. If you haven't been around as long then trust me when I say that Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was a game changing series for countless millions from that generation.

I foresee that this movie could readily make $1 billion world wide in the coming weeks and months. Moreover, I foresee Wonder Woman costumes being the preferred choice for girls next Halloween.

Even more popular than Elsa from Frozen! *gasps*

BTW: This was one of the rallying songs of the 70's.

And that's why I hate that fact that apperently she's the only famous one because she's known outside of Comic Books, and the casual mainstream audiance don't even bother looking at Female Heroes and Villains that are not female versions of established characters, I mean just look at the list of Female Charcaters in Comic Books that are relevent to their universe:

DC:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/characters/?letter=&gender=female&sortBy=appearance&___movies=&publishers%5B0%5D=4010-10&___publishers=&___friends=&___enemies=&___teams=

Marvel:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/characters/?letter=&gender=female&sortBy=appearance&___movies=&publishers%5B1%5D=4010-31&___publishers=&___friends=&___enemies=&___teams=

Samtemdo8:

And that's why I hate that fact that apperently she's the only famous one because she's known outside of Comic Books, and the casual mainstream audiance don't even bother looking at Female Heroes and Villains that are not female versions of established characters, I mean just look at the list of Female Charcaters in Comic Books that are relevent to their universe:

DC:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/characters/?letter=&gender=female&sortBy=appearance&___movies=&publishers%5B0%5D=4010-10&___publishers=&___friends=&___enemies=&___teams=

Marvel:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/characters/?letter=&gender=female&sortBy=appearance&___movies=&publishers%5B1%5D=4010-31&___publishers=&___friends=&___enemies=&___teams=

Yeah, it sucks that so few are known.

The comparative lack of numbers of female superheroes over the past 80 years might have something to do with it, of course. And the fact that male characters get the green light for movies far, far, far easier ("A film about a woman won't sell! Just look at Catwoman and Electra while ignoring that they both sucked!") has a lot to do with it, too.

Throw in sexism, prejudice, etc (in the 70's through to today)...I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

Basement Cat:

Samtemdo8:

DC:

Marvel:

Yeah, it sucks that so few are known.

The comparative lack of numbers of female superheroes over the past 80 years might have something to do with it, of course. And the fact that male characters get the green light for movies far, far, far easier ("A film about a woman won't sell! Just look at Catwoman and Electra while ignoring that they both sucked!") has a lot to do with it, too.

Throw in sexism, prejudice, etc (in the 70's through to today)...I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

You also have to factor that some of these Female Heroes (and male heroes) were by design meant to be second stringers, only tagging along with the main hero or part of a team, they were never meant to hold their own.

Which is why I find the idea of say an Invisible Woman movie just would not work.

Samtemdo8:

Oh indeed.

Why oh why can the filthy, mainstream, fake nerd casuals not appreciate the works of art that are Boom Boom and Petunia Pig?

Zhukov:

Samtemdo8:

Oh indeed.

Why oh why can the filthy, mainstream, fake nerd casuals not appreciate the works of art that are Boom Boom and Petunia Pig?

Petunia Pig is a not DC Superhero...

And Boom Boom seems to have an extensive backstory for an X-Men charcater.

undeadsuitor:

Frank Miller is a hack

New 52 sucks

Etc etc

Well, I really liked Azzarello's New 52 Wonder Woman run. I think the problem most people had with it was that it a) retconned Wonder Woman's origin from a clay Pinocchio to a distaff Hercules, and b) revealed that the Amazons reproduce by sex murder. And, y'know, I get why that'd annoy people.

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

bastardofmelbourne:

Frank Miller is a hack

New 52 sucks

Etc etc

Red Hood and the Outlaws. They turn Starfire into a dull, lifeless bimbo.

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

Frank Miller is a hack

New 52 sucks

Etc etc

1 thing out of the 100s of comic book lines in Superheroes. And I thought they retconned that within the New 52, I remember seeing issues of Starfire where she looks like a normal girl that's not a bimbo within the New 52.

Samtemdo8:

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

1 thing out of the 100s of comic book lines in Superheroes. And I thought they retconned that within the New 52, I remember seeing issues of Starfire where she looks like a normal girl that's not a bimbo within the New 52.

Later on, they tried to make Starfire a normal innocent character again after how awful Red Hood and the Outlaws came to be.

As for other examples, Deathstroke, I found Suicide Squad to be pretty abysmal, I liked Teen Titans, but then it went downhill around the Culling, Legion of Superheroes was boring and the same with Legion Lost, Catwoman and honestly didn't care for Red Lanterns.

Samtemdo8:

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

There were a lot of New 52 titles that sucked ass. That's just what happens when you have 52 titles launching all at the same time; some of them are gonna suck. This was actually DC's plan; they axed the six worst titles every few months and launched six more from the backup list.

Some of the ones that started out good turned to poop a few years later when the writer/artist team moved on. Like Wonder Woman, for example. Thirty-something issues of plot-dense mythological superhero fantasy with a quirky art twist, then Azzarello and Cliff Chiang left and the replacement writer/artist team decided that what Wonder Woman really needed was more continuity baggage and ugly feminist stereotypes.

I have one very important question that will determine whether or not I will give this film a chance.

Are the German soldiers portrayed as a competent and legitimate threat, or as cackling yet utterly ineffectual proto-Nazis who are going to use radioactive moon-rock super-weapons to blow up the world and exist only to be effortlessly beaten up by Wonder Woman?

Zhukov:

Samtemdo8:

Oh indeed.

Hey, I like Boom Boom. Back in the 90s she had a decent arc where she took care of and tried to rehabilitate Sabertooth after Wolverine poked a hole in his brain and reduced him to a feral/mentally incapacitated state like a giant dog despite everyone telling her she was wrong to do it.

It might have been a really terrible arc though, I was young and didn't know better.

I have one very important question that will determine whether or not I will give this film a chance.

Are the German soldiers portrayed as a competent and legitimate threat, or as cackling yet utterly ineffectual proto-Nazis who are going to use radioactive moon-rock super-weapons to blow up the world and exist only to be effortlessly beaten up by Wonder Woman?

Well since you're in the wrong era I can say for sure they ain't Nazi or Proto-Nazis. If what you are asking is are the Germans in this movie portrayed in the same way as Hydra's soldiers are In Captain America, i.e all sleak, highly weaponized, black shining armour fighting for the 'cause', then no, they are portrayed as what they were an army made of hungry, battle tired people fighting for a cause they neither really know about or understand.

As for the movie itself, slow paced, not anywhere enough action, when their was action it was pretty decent with the close quarters stuff in Veld (mid way through the movie) being amazing. Not grim dark like the previous DC movies it had one or two dialogues that were a bit cringy but nothing anywhere near as stupid as MARTHA and after the utter cluster fuck of a plot form B vs S it was nice to have a simple straight forward bad guy vs good guy plot.

Only really down side being it's another DC movie that ends with an utter cluster fuck of lighting, explosion, debris and carnage all taking place at night and that the action was a bit too little and a bit too spaced out and over way way to quick.

I will also say that now is the time for someone to start pushing for a Wonder Woman game:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/it-s-way-past-time-for-wonder-woman-to-headline-her-own-1795695175

Seriously, just make an E10-rated Bayonetta/DMC, make it a holiday release, put in a Gal Gadot skin as a pre-order bonus, and BAM!, instant money.

How is that third act remotely defensible?

It wasn't merely bad and generic like a lot of CBM final battles are; it achieved a nadir not even achieved by BvS or Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman pulls the type of "I believe in myself" power up you'd find in Gurren Lagann, only played as super serious drama. It's the aesthetic and climax of Scott Pilgrim played entirely straight.

Dazzle Novak:

It wasn't merely bad and generic like a lot of CBM final battles are; it achieved a nadir not even achieved by BvS or Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman pulls the type of "I believe in myself" power up you'd find in Gurren Lagann, only played as super serious drama. It's the aesthetic and climax of Scott Pilgrim played entirely straight.

Shut up, it's empowering to women. Kindly take your legitimate issues with the film back to your basement you dirty misogynist.

Dragonlayer:

Again, that's only my impression based on my first showing. I'm going again and perhaps with a more critical eye I'll pick up more but I like the idea that the movie closes on.

Dazzle Novak:

Really?

However it does feel like an arc that should have played out over the last two acts of the film with a bit more meat to it rather than it's very compressed presentation in the movie proper.

Just watched it.

Not a great movie (too many problems which sadly could have been easily addressed), but a good movie. I enjoyed it.

The DCEU Wonder Woman is a better Superman than DCEU Superman.

Gordon_4:

Really?

However it does feel like an arc that should have played out over the last two acts of the film with a bit more meat to it rather than it's very compressed presentation in the movie proper.

No need to explain to me the broad strokes character arc present in 99% of blockbusters like I'm five. I get the why of it.

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

bastardofmelbourne:

Frank Miller is a hack

New 52 sucks

Etc etc

It would be easier to list the things in 52 that were not abysmal:
- Swamp Thing
- Animal Man
- The first arc of Wonder Woman

That is about it...

Laughing Man:

Snip

As for the movie itself, slow paced, not anywhere enough action...

Snip

I'm not sure if you're American or not, but the above snippet from your post actually gives me hope for the movie. I know that sounds snarky, but here's the thing: most Americans (of which I am one) like their movies obnoxiously loud with lots of action, bright colors, louder music and as little character development as possible. All in a very short running time.

That's why 3D is so popular in the US. Literally pop-up pictures.

So, every time I hear someone say "It's too slow. Not enough action," I know that 90% of the time it will be an outstanding movie.

ckriley:

Laughing Man:

Snip

As for the movie itself, slow paced, not anywhere enough action...

Snip

I'm not sure if you're American or not, but the above snippet from your post actually gives me hope for the movie. I know that sounds snarky, but here's the thing: most Americans (of which I am one) like their movies obnoxiously loud with lots of action, bright colors, louder music and as little character development as possible. All in a very short running time.

That's why 3D is so popular in the US. Literally pop-up pictures.

So, every time I hear someone say "It's too slow. Not enough action," I know that 90% of the time it will be an outstanding movie.

Nope not American, Scottish in fact so happy to see a fellow Scot in this movie but I have no issue with slow paced movies but end of the day WW is a Comic book Superhero movie so the expectation is that it is going to have a lot of action going on which this movie didn't have enough of, I would even go as far as to say the action was pretty hit and miss in terms of quality.

Their are two set piece fights in the movie that involved more believable one on one combat with a lot of very well done close quarters combat and they are both superb, especially the one at the half way point that has her on the front line before working her way through a town called Veld but the irony of this scene is that what starts well ends very poorly at the mid way point of the Veld fight the close quarters stuff gets dropped and the CGI assisted combat starts, she Hulks an armoured vehicle only the SFX are no where near any of the Hulk movies let alone some of the stuff he does in The Avengers movies and the fight ends with her literally bitch whipping a bunch of German soldiers and frankly it all looks very poor and quite cheap. The additional problem is that from this point on wards the fights are all SFX assisted to the same extent and while some of the stuff works quite a lot of it really doesn't.

Also on reflection the entire third act makes no real sense. In fact it is all a bit stupid.

People simply accept one of the villains taking bumps of magic-cocaine with no explanation? Why isn't Dr. Poison mass-producing that shit if it gives regular joes super-strength lesser-than-but-still-on-par-with base Wonder Woman?

There's simply so many instances of, "Fuck you, that's why!" and the final battle is meaningless because not only is it never established what the combatants can or can't do and can or can't be hurt by, but characters gain new abilities seemingly at random. It's the "Nuh-uh! I was wearing my secret, bullet-proof invisible armor!" kid on the playground with a 100 million dollar budget.

Just saw it and I really dont see why people would praise it to the high heavens, unless the previous DC movies have lowered peoples expectations and finally seeing a DC movie that doesnt horribly suck is now the new definition of "good".

This movie really wasnt that good though. It wasnt horrible, it wasnt good. It was a solid "meh", a 2.5/5, a 5/10, a disheartened sigh of relief that perhaps you didnt completly waste your money on the movie tickets but that you didnt get a whooping bang for your buck either.

In essence, Gal Gadot did her job well. So did Chris Pine. That sort of saves it really. But the script , especiellyfor the later half of the movie, was...underwhelming, to put it lightly. There are enough plot holes here for three superhero movies, and some of the secondary characters are so badly done it gives off that "standard assembly line superhero movie"-feeling, where there's no interest whatsoever in actually providing quality.

So yeah, the positive reviews are puzzling. I like the entry of a strong female hero character and that she's getting her own movie, but they could've done a hellova lot better then this, surely. In the end, judging by the quality of the movie itself rather then the symbolic value of it, its nothing other then a rather dissapointing "average" experience.

Just saw it. S'alright. Glad I saw it, but in no rush to see it again.

I saw it this afternoon. I enjoyed it. It's not great by any stretch. The last act didn't really work for me, the final fight was eh, and I felt that slow motion was overused in some scenes. But on the whole I walked out feeling positive about it and still feel that way. I give it a solid B.

Samtemdo8:

One of the greatest travesties of the New 52. That and the raping Amazons, the entire Finch run, awful character re-imaginings (Like Mr. Freeze), the time compression, and a seemingly intentionally confusing continuity (Particularly Batman's and Green Lantern's). The New 52 was pretty bad.

hermes:
It would be easier to list the things in 52 that were not abysmal:
- Swamp Thing
- Animal Man
- The first arc of Wonder Woman

That is about it...

Swamp Thing and Animal man somehow managed to hook me, despite my distate for zombies, gore, and horror. First Swamp Thing anything I've ever read and I loved it!

I also recall Aquaman and Batman and Robin being pretty good.

On the topic of good New 52 series, the first volume of The Flash was pretty great. Awesome art, creative paneling, and the updated Rogues worked out pretty well.

Just saw it last night. Its only okay. Not great, but not unwatchable, which makes it the best of the DC movies. Always remember Wonder Woman is a huge success because the next best movie is Suicide Squad.

So while there are certainly less plotholes, editing problems, dead characters and rushed plot elements, its not as bad as the rest.
A solid C.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or