So, apparently WW is pretty good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Samtemdo8:
Was there anything of this movie that confirms all those rumors that the movie is a mess?

Not that I saw. It was well structured, evenly paced, if a little rushed at times. The plot and personal motivations of the characters made sense, and were believable. Their interactions felt realistic to how actual humans would speak to each other in such a situation.

It wasn't a mindblowing piece of cinema, but it WAS a very well crafted, simple, standard story. Some might consider it too typical and standard, but I've never really had a problem with a decent movie that is well made, and does a good job telling the story it's telling. Not every movie can blow my mind, and even if they could, that would eventually become tedious simply due to it always happening. My opinion on the movie is that it did a good, solid job, telling the story it wanted to tell. It had some flaws here and there, but they were minor ones for me. None of them were gaping plot holes like goatsee, and the characters weren't engaging in stupid behavior simply to generate conflict. I was never bored with the movie, and was genuinely thrilled at several points in the story.

Gordon_4:

Dragonlayer:

Gordon_4:

Again, that's only my impression based on my first showing. I'm going again and perhaps with a more critical eye I'll pick up more but I like the idea that the movie closes on.

Like I said, the movie is by no means perfect. Ludendorff would probably have ended up a hero of the Nazi party in the DCEU. As for her motivation to side with Entente, the first contact she had with the Germans was

For what its worth, while she does basically hand the German's their arses in the fight scenes, she's NOT dropping quips like Buffy the Vampire Slayer while she's doing it and there is little to visually distinguish the British and German troops other than their uniform. They all look haggard, tired and confused: they fight as well as they can but fact is Diana is a massive force multiplier. It would be like giving the British at Rorke's Drift the equipment of a modern infantry regiment.

davidmc1158:

Dragonlayer:
For example, see SS Oberstgruppenfuhrer Tavington of His Majesty's Redcoats casually shooting unarmed wounded, innocent civilians and then locking entire villages inside churches and burning them alive in The Patriot, because apparently America in 1776 was actually the Eastern Front, 1944.

Not wanting to derail the thread but as a historian I was compelled to add this small bit:
Tavington's character was based (loosely) on Banastre Tarleton, cavalry officer and all around asshat. Among the accusations made against him were 1) ordering his men to bayonet the bodies of the enemy for 15 minutes after a battle to ensure no survivors, 2) ordering an 8 year old's throat to be slit because the kid might reveal his cavalry's movements to the colonials, and 3) when at a British officer's soiree he was heard to claim that he had "lain more women in America than any other British Army officer." To which another officer was heard to say "Don't you mean raped more women?"

As an aside note:

I had to go looking through the forum manually, like some sort of pre-industrial crazy person!

Hey Rom, when did you come back to 21st century Earth and make an account? (please tell me that was actually the character you were referencing)

Hmmmm! Interesting: see, I was already aware of the real source of inspiration for Tavington, *and* that he was one of the more ruthless British officers during the war, so I wouldn't have minded the odd butchery here and there (nor am I naive enough to believe that criminal behaviour doesn't happen in every war). But it was the church burning scene that was an atrocity too far from my willing suspension of disbelief to handle, since they'd blatantly stolen it from an entirely different conflict, and had already framed the war in fairly black and white terms (granted, it's essentially the story of Mel Gibson's revenge against Jason Isaacs rather than a nuanced look at war, and as much as I rag on it here, I actually do quite enjoy the film).

And alas, I wasn't making any reference, just trying to point out to the other poster I hadn't gotten their notification without accidentally coming across as a snarky prick!

Dragonlayer:

Gordon_4:

Dragonlayer:

Like I said, the movie is by no means perfect. Ludendorff would probably have ended up a hero of the Nazi party in the DCEU. As for her motivation to side with Entente, the first contact she had with the Germans was

For what its worth, while she does basically hand the German's their arses in the fight scenes, she's NOT dropping quips like Buffy the Vampire Slayer while she's doing it and there is little to visually distinguish the British and German troops other than their uniform. They all look haggard, tired and confused: they fight as well as they can but fact is Diana is a massive force multiplier. It would be like giving the British at Rorke's Drift the equipment of a modern infantry regiment.

Kolby Jack:

Bob_McMillan:

Kolby Jack:

Gordon_4:

Bob_McMillan:

Kolby Jack:

It wasn't even a laugh, more of a giggle. Which is why it was so out if place.

Honestly there is almost nothing good about the villains in this movie. Good for them that the movie is more about Wonder Woman's character development than anything else.

I watched it!

It was good!

But yeah, the rest of it was good. Gal Gadot does a surprisingly strong performance. Chris Pine proves that he's often underrated, yet again. Dr. Poison is a surprisingly nuanced villain; I'd like to see her reappear...somehow...well, probably not, but I liked her. The fight scenes were great, but used slow-mo a little too excessively. Everything else...works pretty well, not exceptionally well, I didn't have my mind blown or anything, but I left thinking "That was a pretty good movie!" It aims lower than Batman v Superman did, but it has the advantage of actually hitting the mark, unlike Batman v Superman.

Bob_McMillan:
It wasn't even a laugh, more of a giggle. Which is why it was so out if place.

I really liked that giggle...

I mean, villains like to make a joke once in a while. I liked it; it was charming in a very disturbing way.

Samtemdo8:
Was there anything of this movie that confirms all those rumors that the movie is a mess?

Nope. If there was trouble behind the scenes, it doesn't show.

Pretty good film overall, though it lacks that one special aspect that could skyrocket it into outright classic territory like Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. The obvious has already been said, so I have some other thoughts:

-Steve's entourage are a neat little encapsulation of various flaws of mankind, the war, and the values of the early twentieth century. Sameer wanted to be an actor, but was discriminated against solely due to his race in spite of his talent. Charlie suffers from PTSD which was an infliction that was newly diagnosed at the time, and Chief profits from both sides and does so with a clear conscience due to the horrors his own people suffered from Europeans and Americans.

-Speaking of which, kudos for the writers for making Steve useful for the first time in a goddamned age.

-The film interestingly enough gives some retroactive insight to Diana in BvS (though it doesn't make BvS a better movie). Heck, you can tell she so got her battle grin during the Doomsday fight from Antiope.

-DC needs to make Themyscira a mainstay in the verse and not just because it's just gorgeous from a design perspective (shooting in Italy does wonders for scenery) but because the lore stuff with the Amazons and the Gods was really interesting and I want to see more of it. Speaking of which...

-In terms of sequels I'd double down on the Classical mythology angle. Seriously, have Diana do some Jason and the Argonauts/Clash of the Titans stuff and deal with ancient monsters or magical threats

-Which could also lead into some concepts for Justice League Dark or Shazam!/Black Adam.

Aiddon:

-DC needs to make Themyscira a mainstay in the verse and not just because it's just gorgeous from a design perspective (shooting in Italy does wonders for scenery) but because the lore stuff with the Amazons and the Gods was really interesting and I want to see more of it. Speaking of which...

If you pay attention to the JL trailer, you can see that the Amazons go to war against Darkseid parademons. Although that could be in the past, I like to think that the invasion of Earth will be the last straw, and Hippolyta finally unleashes her army of warriors who have been training for thousands of years and each and every one of them is in their prime.

Aiddon:
-In terms of sequels I'd double down on the Classical mythology angle. Seriously, have Diana do some Jason and the Argonauts/Clash of the Titans stuff and deal with ancient monsters or magical threats

I would say to look at Azzarello's run for ideas, but...

There are still things they can do with a kind of urban fantasy vibe, either with Greek mythological creatures, the Titans (Typhon is a solid "generic world-destroyer bad guy" enemy idea), or maybe the Furies. The Greek Furies, not Darkseid's Furies.

Actually, now that I think about it, they'd almost certainly do something with Circe. She's the closest thing Wonder Woman has to a decent archnemesis once Ares is out of the picture.

bastardofmelbourne:

Aiddon:

There are still things they can do with a kind of urban fantasy vibe, either with Greek mythological creatures, the Titans (Typhon is a solid "generic world-destroyer bad guy" enemy idea), or maybe the Furies. The Greek Furies, not Darkseid's Furies.

Actually, now that I think about it, they'd almost certainly do something with Circe. She's the closest thing Wonder Woman has to a decent archnemesis once Ares is out of the picture.

Not to mention this is Comic Book Logic, which means that death is as serious as a mild cold for most people. The fact that anyone has been killed means nothing. They can always come back later. So yeah, I wouldn't really worry much about things like "They can't do *Insert Plot Idea* because *Insert Character* is already dead" That's never been a problem for comics in the past, and I doubt it will be an issue in the movie universe either.

bastardofmelbourne:

Aiddon:

I'd kill to see a live action version of the Medusa fight (I think it was new 52?) Where Medusa was threatening to broadcast her gaze over live TV and petrify millions of people

So wonder woman blinds herself and beats the shit out of her

undeadsuitor:

I'd kill to see a live action version of the Medusa fight (I think it was new 52?) Where Medusa was threatening to broadcast her gaze over live TV and petrify millions of people

Given the super hearing and super senses of most of the DC heroes, that's actually not that big of a handicap. They could just close their eyes, and likely still know exactly where she is, and just beat her senseless :)

I can confirm that Wonder Woman is, indeed, good.

I felt like the scenes were out of sequence when...

bastardofmelbourne:

I wouldn't even say urban fantasy, just go straight Greek Epic like Clash of the Titans or Jason and the Argonauts with Wonder Woman fighting off mythical threats and deal with the last vestiges of the old world. It's an excuse to have a juxtaposition of the modern world against the ancient world and maybe have Diana go to exotic locations. You could even use it to introduce concepts that could be central to Shazam, Black Adam, and even Justice League Dark.

Elijin:

I think you forget that one of that group said exactly what he said. "Based on what we just saw her do, maybe it's not bullshit."

Besides, the truly skeptical don't just make assumptions. Just because she shows an unusually high level of strength, doesn't mean she's a literal god, or that gods are real. I mean,

Happyninja42:

Elijin:

I think you forget that one of that group said exactly what he said. "Based on what we just saw her do, maybe it's not bullshit."

Besides, the truly skeptical don't just make assumptions. Just because she shows an unusually high level of strength, doesn't mean she's a literal god, or that gods are real. I mean,

Welll

I really respect the depiction of war though. Made me think of how in cap A first avenger everything was upbeat, they always seemed to have the upper hand and it just seemed too....pleasant.

Edit: my phone was having no part of spoiler tags sorry about that.

bastardofmelbourne:

Elijin:

Welll [spoiler] I'm not saying they'd accept she was a god, which doesn't matter as that wasnt on the table at the time. Im saying they'd accept she was an Amazon, creature of myth. And accept she believed what she said, even if the god part wasn't something they could get behind. Like steve, I guess.

I'm not sure they ever accepted she was "a creature of myth". She said she lived on an island, and they call themselves the Amazons. Considering there is the Amazon jungle, and you could technically call the people who live there Amazons, it's not that far of a stretch. They never react in any way like they believe she is somehow mythical. Their reaction seemed more to me like your typical "ok, she's a weird foreigner lady, but whatever, I don't really care." I mean, I knew a guy who thought he could communicate with angels, and while I humored him when he spoke, it doesn't mean I believed him. And if that same guy, suddenly started jumping 30 feet through the air, tossing tanks, and blocking bullets, while I would be shocked as fuck by his abilities, it wouldn't make me think he was actually talking to angels. The two things aren't connected. And accepting that she believes what she said also isn't that big a stretch. Again, my angel talking companion truly believed it, and I didn't question his belief, that doesn't mean I believed him though.

The only one of them that was actually buying her story (at least partially), was Steve. Because he had seen far more things that were unexplainable than they had. The stuff with the mist shield over the island, feeling the lasso of truth forcibly punishing him if he tried to lie, etc. The others, just saw a gorgeous woman, who acts a bit weird, do some physically incredible things.

Now, if they still were skeptical after seeing her float in the air, battling a guy who summoned metal to his body, and shoot lightning from her hands....well they'd still be acting appropriately, because it could just be someone like Superman, who is just simply an alien, and not a god. :) Sadly those lines get so easily blurred in DC, that "sufficiently advance technology viewed as magic" is par for the course for the setting.

This was the safest and most derivative Post-Dark Knight DC movie. I didn't hate it. I just got a feeling that there was a smarter and edgier draft of this movie that they didn't film. At least, the other movies had something interesting. This one had nothing challenging about it like Man of Steel or interesting characters like Suicide Squad. Here's hoping that Justice League would provide something interesting later this year.

undeadsuitor:

I never read that comic but now I really want to.

Happyninja42:
Given the super hearing and super senses of most of the DC heroes, that's actually not that big of a handicap. They could just close their eyes, and likely still know exactly where she is, and just beat her senseless :)

Super-senses is actually one of the few powers Wonder Woman has never been depicted having, to my knowledge.They're iffy on whether she can fly, whether she's bulletproof, whether she can actually do magic, but she's never seen doing the super-hearing thing that Superman can do. Along with heat/x-ray vision, that's been one of Superman's proprietary schticks.

I'd still be impressed if I saw Wonder Woman beat up a guy with her eyes closed. Oddly, I'd be more impressed than if I saw Batman do it, because I just kind of assume that fighting blind is one of those things Batman can do, along with judo and DDR.

BloatedGuppy:

Elijin:
I really respect the depiction of war though. Made me think of how in cap A first avenger everything was upbeat, they always seemed to have the upper hand and it just seemed too....pleasant.

Wonder Woman actually makes the first Captain America film look almost...insensitive, in retrospect. Like, Captain America is fighting in WW2, but there's no sign of the extermination camps or roving death squads. No Jewish refugees, half-starved and looking for lost family. No trenches filled with bodies. No comfort women. It's like he's fighting some sanitised, parallel war. He's not even fighting real Nazis; he's fighting some weird Nazi octopus science cult.

Whereas Wonder Woman, she comes off as even more innocent and naive than Captain America ever was, but as soon as they arrive in France she's walking past all the human shrapnel left in the wake of a world war, and Steve Trevor almost has to grab her and haul her along saying we can't help them right now, and that's the most heartbreaking part of it. This is a literal demigod, a lady who can bench-press a tank, and she's looking at a guy with no legs and processing the fact that there is just nothing she can do.

bastardofmelbourne:
Whereas Wonder Woman, she comes off as even more innocent and naive than Captain America ever was, but as soon as they arrive in France she's walking past all the human shrapnel left in the wake of a world war, and Steve Trevor almost has to grab her and haul her along saying we can't help them right now, and that's the most heartbreaking part of it. This is a literal demigod, a lady who can bench-press a tank, and she's looking at a guy with no legs and processing the fact that there is just nothing she can do.

I found it rather darkly hilarious that she went straight from recoiling at the horrors of war to giving no quarter to anyone even vaguely in her vicinity.

Moreover, like much of the movie, it doesn't make any sense. She grew up on an island of warriors, not pacifists. She embraced this ethos, seeking out training in how to make people die by the skillful application of specialized killing utensils. She must surely be aware of the concept of inflicting horrible injuries in battle; her chosen vocation in life revolves around it.

If that's not enough, her visit to the trenches isn't even her first rodeo. She took part in the beach battle. She should know what maimed bodies look like; she and her fellow amazons created several literal boatloads of them.

Veylon:
Moreover, like much of the movie, it doesn't make any sense. She grew up on an island of warriors, not pacifists. She embraced this ethos, seeking out training in how to make people die by the skillful application of specialized killing utensils. She must surely be aware of the concept of inflicting horrible injuries in battle; her chosen vocation in life revolves around it.

She grew up on an island of immortal warriors. When that bungee-jumping Amazon archer got shot in the belly, that was literally the first time Diana had seen anyone die.

bastardofmelbourne:

Wonder Woman actually makes the first Captain America film look almost...insensitive, in retrospect. Like, Captain America is fighting in WW2, but there's no sign of the extermination camps or roving death squads. No Jewish refugees, half-starved and looking for lost family. No trenches filled with bodies. No comfort women. It's like he's fighting some sanitised, parallel war. He's not even fighting real Nazis; he's fighting some weird Nazi octopus science cult.

It really feels like a deconstruction of the first Captain America movie and the superheroes in war in general. It shows how powerless a superhero would be in a situation like war. It shows that the good guys are really the lesser of two evils at best and the complex of War. It doesn't go to far into those themes but I'm okay with that. My biggest problem with a lot of Deconstruction is they sometimes get to dark for their own good. Wonder woman still remembers it has to be a fun action movie at some point and it delivers on that.

Speaking of which the no man land scene is probably one of my favorite action scenes in a long time.

Veylon:

bastardofmelbourne:

I found it rather darkly hilarious that she went straight from recoiling at the horrors of war to giving no quarter to anyone even vaguely in her vicinity.

If that's not enough, her visit to the trenches isn't even her first rodeo. She took part in the beach battle. She should know what maimed bodies look like; she and her fellow amazons created several literal boatloads of them.

I deeply suspect that feeling is partially an artefact of her old origin in which several of the Greek Goddesses blessed Diana with great gifts respective of their role in the Pantheon, and Aphrodite imbued her with beauty and love. However, raised as she was by an ancient martial order of dedicated protectors I suspect she feels that for a warrior to fall in battle, blade or bow in hand is quite different to innocent and unarmed men, women and children being driven from their homes and/or killed by a belligerent invader. She met the enemy on their terms: armed and looking them in the eye.

Happyninja42:

Elijin:

She launched herself into a church tower and collapsed it: an unusual level of strength is one thing, being a sword wielding artillery shell is quite another.

Yeah, it was pretty neat. DC finally coughed out something of worth.

Godot clearly meant business and they nailed the character. Hey, turns out having an unironic good gal (puns!) trying to do The Right Thing can make for a perfectly serviceable protagonist. No need for everyone to grumble and scowl from dawn till dusk. Smiles are allowed again! Huzzah!

Action was okay. Not great, but fun enough. Turned to a bit of a mess toward the end. Which could be said of the film as a whole. The entire third act was rather shaky.

Despite it's length, the film felt a bit rushed. They got through the origin arc with commendable efficiency but then only had half a movie for the character arc. They pulled it off, but only just.

The big weakness was the villains. They were just awful. Not just flat or shallow, but actively bad. That bit where Ludendorf and Dr Poison do an honest-to-God villain giggle I was looking at the screen with my head to one side going, "...Really?"

I look forward to what can be done with Wonder Woman going forward. If we can get that woman playing that character in that way but with a better plot then we'll have a classic on our hands. However, she's going to have to survive Justice League first, which I am all but certain is not that classic.

Veylon:

She aaaactually doesn't.

Something similar occurred to me, but I noticed that to begin with she wasn't necessarily killing everyone in her path. In the trenches she focuses on smashing the gun. Throughout the town fight she's just smacking dudes and flinging them about. Granted, I doubt being shield-bashed by a demi-god is exactly beneficial for one's health, but we're talking action movie physiology where vicious blows to the head rarely result in anything worse than unconsciousness.

It's only a bit later when she's specifically provoked that she straight up kills dudes, starting with Mr Church Sniper if memory serves.

Training for combat and actually seeing a severed limb or protruding abdominal wound are two very different things.

This, however, is true.

BloatedGuppy:
... David Thewlis...

I'm pretty sure the dissonance was intentional, if perhaps ill advised.

Personally, I always associate him with the (unnamed?) affable Hospitaler Knight from Kingdom of Heaven. Loved that character.

Gordon_4:

She launched herself into a church tower and collapsed it: an unusual level of strength is one thing, being a sword wielding artillery shell is quite another.

Except you could say that about a huge list of DC beings, that aren't gods. So it doesn't automatically mean she's a god. Super strong sure, but hey, maybe she's just a Kryptonian. Or maybe she's some form of Lantern, and the lasso is really just her using her energy, and otherwise she's a mortal woman. Or any number of batshit crazy comic book explanations for her power that don't all default to "she's actually a goddess."

I really don't understand why people find their skepticism of her claims so baffling. Super strength doesn't automatically equal god. Hell in most cases in DC it's something else. Most of them aren't gods as far as I'm aware, they're either aliens with super powers, humans with super powers, or robots, or any number of other combinations. Sure SHE is actually a god, but the track record of DC hardly makes this the going standard for explanation of super human ability.

Zhukov:
That bit where Ludendorf and Dr Poison do an honest-to-God villain giggle I was looking at the screen with my head to one side going, "...Really?"

Yeah I loved the movie, but even I can't fathom how that got past the first draft of ANY script, let alone make into the final product. Currently the DCEU villain watermark is still sitting with General Zod and Faora - and as much as Man of Steel pisses me off, they were fantastic.

Happyninja42:

Gordon_4:

Except you could say that about a huge list of DC beings, that aren't gods. So it doesn't automatically mean she's a god. Super strong sure, but hey, maybe she's just a Kryptonian. Or maybe she's some form of Lantern, and the lasso is really just her using her energy, and otherwise she's a mortal woman. Or any number of batshit crazy comic book explanations for her power that don't all default to "she's actually a goddess."

I really don't understand why people find their skepticism of her claims so baffling. Super strength doesn't automatically equal god. Hell in most cases in DC it's something else. Most of them aren't gods as far as I'm aware, they're either aliens with super powers, humans with super powers, or robots, or any number of other combinations. Sure SHE is actually a god, but the track record of DC hardly makes this the going standard for explanation of super human ability.

This is a true enough statement in the broader, contemporary DC universe, but Wonder Woman is not in that universe: she is as of this moment the first meta-human the world has ever seen in the DCEU. Superman is still 70 odd years away from being a thing so when someone wielding a sword and shield goes and plows through a machine gun nest, deflecting mortars with her shield, rips the side off a tank, swings an armoured car around like it's a conductor's baton and then manages to demolish a stone building by the very act of jumping into it then it is not unreasonable for the first parallels to be the Gods and demi-Gods of our own ancient myths.

Again, in any other remotely contemporary DC product you would be 100% right: but I don't think you are in this very specific case.

undeadsuitor:

bastardofmelbourne:

Aiddon:

It was before the New 52 but yeah it was a pretty good fight.

So I finally saw the movie and it's actually good. The only part I felt really fell flat is that;

That said, it really made me want to play some more BF1 and Injustice 2.

Happyninja42:

Gordon_4:

I think you are getting the timeline mixed up. The Wonder Woman movie happend before the Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. So no, they wouldn't consider alternate explanations. She is being set up as the first superhero. So even if they don't think she's a god the idea that she's seriously expecting to find and fight one shouldn't be so surprising after seeing her fight.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here